Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Date: November 9, 2012 03:20

stonesnow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonesnow
Gazza
If he has written good songs, why not put them on this release instead?

I wouldn't hold your breath too long for that 'next full studio album'. Especially as they have no contractual obligation to make one under the terms of their current contract, which is due to expire next summer.

Because good songs deserve to remain in print, on a release that still can be purchased in 10 years, unlike Grrr! and other comps of its ilk... I've already moved on from these 2 new ditties and am now awaiting the new studio album.

Somebody get Stonesnow some life support because he's gonna be holding his breath for possibly three more years, which will make it TEN since their last album, if they, er, Mick bothers.

I guess that GRRR! 'and other comps of its ilk' bit can be lumped into all of their comps being worthless? Like Hot Rocks? Yeah, who would want to bother with that one? Oh wait. I get it. Jumpin' Jack Flash is on however many comps, as is Start Me Up and on and on.

So they're... all worthless then? Well that's cool. I still have my copies.

Hot Rocks is an essential comp--if you are just starting your Stones collection, as I was 30 years ago, unless of course you just can't live without owning the cover art in miniaturized digital format. But if you have all the albums, you can make your own comp, for as little as 40 cents. Why should record producers and the like dictate in what order you should listen to randomly collected songs?

Because we're lazy? iTunes sucks? Can't get the tracks in the right order? I've made several versions of FIFTY LICKS and I just, I dunno, I keep getting the order wrong.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 9, 2012 04:00

i love it. pretty friggin good for a bunch of 70 year old dudes. pure stones and it rocks. if this song doesnt get your foot tapping, nothing will.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2012 04:54

Midnight Toker
i love it. pretty friggin good for a bunch of 70 year old dudes. pure stones and it rocks. if this song doesnt get your foot tapping, nothing will.

Yes...I'm beginning to move to the love category.

Love to see a lot of the more recently released material in concert, this, Doom and Gloom, PMS, No Spare Parts.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 9, 2012 05:09

treaclefingers
Love to see a lot of the more recently released material in concert, this, Doom and Gloom, PMS, No Spare Parts.

Me too.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: November 9, 2012 05:46

It should sound good live. Keith wrote the music and usually title, too?? Mick's lyrics sound kind of like an angry response to Keith for everything lately. That's how I'm hearing it today, anyway. It sounds good. I like it.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: November 9, 2012 06:11

Okay, the key line starts this "Oooh baby, I got a message for you
You got me doing something I thought I never would do, give me one more shot." Basically it's a painful junkie relapse thing with a duel meaning about addiction to love, sex, heroin. I think the song is flying over a lot of people's heads. The line "i love, I love, I love" in that pleading tone is the on the "knees type" pleading of the junkie or desperate lover.

These lyrics I believe to be essentialyl all Keith. The song's pretty brilliant. The lyric concept is very deep and metaphorical. The prison type references may allude also to struggles with drugs. "Keep me in corrections, for my own protection at your discretion." This could be a legal/rehab type scenario where some drug is given in measured doses. Could be like Methadone or suboxine administered at minimal level to prevent the addict from going into shock.. It could also be how much priveledge Mick gives Keith. Very interesting song now. It flew over my head a bit at first. @#$%& brilliant!

Date: November 9, 2012 07:15

It's Mick's and Keith's addictions to each other, despite their sometimes hatred of each other (love/hate). One more shot at working together. "Take me back. I'm all yours, Jack." "Just when things were sweet, you kicked me in the street." "Spare the crucifiction." (Life? Todgergate?) lol Na Na Na Na Na Na Na..........

Date: November 9, 2012 07:46

superrevvy
Erik, no, I think Stones fans won't let Mick do anything else but the Stones.
He needs them if he's gonna move on, but Stones fans absolutely refuse to let him.
So he's punishing them now, I think, like they're punishing him.

Look what Mick said about Stones fans: they're "drunk and insane" so he's gonna
crash the fcukin plane.

I raised this question in a thread of its own, which got zero agreement: Was
Mick intentionally crashing the Stones?

After all this crap, these tickets, this album, is there still 100% disagreement
that Mick wants out?

And what did he say he wanted to call this tour? No doubt he is punishing us! You have been right all along.

Date: November 9, 2012 07:49

JumpinJackOLantern
superrevvy
He needs them if he's gonna move on, but Stones fans absolutely refuse to let him.

crash the fcukin plane.

After all this crap, these tickets, this album, is there still 100% disagreement
that Mick wants out?

And what did he say he wanted to call this tour? No doubt he is punishing us! You have been right all along.

Mick has no loyalties to anyone. I feel sorry for L'Wren. Just a matter of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-09 08:13 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: November 9, 2012 07:53

JumpinJackOLantern
superrevvy

crash the fcukin plane.

that Mick wants out?

Mick doesn't want out of the Stones. That's ridiculous. He was just PO'd at Keith for dishonoring him in the most public way. They've got great chemistry.

Planes crash-land by accident. He said, "What does it all mean???"

The F-Off Tour was because he was angry...and that's his favorite word.

Date: November 9, 2012 07:57

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
superrevvy

crash the fcukin plane.

that Mick wants out?

Mick has no loyalties to anyone. I feel sorry for LWren. Just a matter of time.

He ain't leavin' L'Wren. That's ridiculous, too. They're perfectly happy in how they figured out how to live together freely but committed.

Date: November 9, 2012 08:10

riverrat
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
superrevvy

crash the fcukin plane.

that Mick wants out?

He ain't leavin' L'Wren. That's ridiculous, too. They're perfectly happy in how they figured out how to live together freely but committed.

Ha. They don't come any better than Gerry Hall.

Date: November 9, 2012 11:01

euro'73
One More Shot = Take It So Hard opening riff

No it's reversed, more like Street Fighting Man, in fact - only with less strumming.

Date: November 9, 2012 11:02

Stoneage
So those of you who don't like the new songs: Are you gonna buy the album because of the 78 old ones? Personally, I would consider buying a single with the two new songs even if they aren't masterpieces. I'm not that interested in buying the old songs over and over. But I guess there won't be any new single.

No, I'll only buy the new songs.

Date: November 9, 2012 11:06

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
arthritis
I just forced myself to listen to OMS for the second time. Part of me wants to blame Ronnie and Chuck for this. Ronnie strikes me as one of those guys that'll say he likes damn near anything keith or mick present to him. And Chuck doesn't particularly care what any song sounds like as long as he can ruin it with his CASIO. So mick and keith are somewhat in their own universe having written so many cool songs in the past, that they basically think that they can do no wrong. And the entourage of yes men hangers on and producers kiss their butts up until they release a directionless goose egg like one more shot. The whole time during recording OMS keith&mick are sealed in a snow globe of praise for every sound they make be it a sneeze or a fart, so they're not even aware of the quality of the musical product in the real world.

I'm very glad I wasn't drinking a beer or eating something when I read that.

Date: November 9, 2012 11:07

JumpinJackOLantern
riverrat
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
superrevvy

crash the fcukin plane.

that Mick wants out?

Ha. They don't come any better than Gerry Hall.

Has Jerry become a tranny now?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 9, 2012 11:52

Does anyone know if they will release the two new tracks on a single? I'm not that tempted to buy an album with 38 old songs just to get hold of the two new ones.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 9, 2012 12:05

Stoneage
Does anyone know if they will release the two new tracks on a single? I'm not that tempted to buy an album with 38 old songs just to get hold of the two new ones.

I don't know if they will release the two new tracks on a Single.

But the two new tracks are available as single purchase on iTunes and Amazon.

It should be possible to make a CD from the AAC/MP3 files.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-09 12:25 by Irix.

Date: November 9, 2012 12:11

Stoneage

Both are being released as separate singles. D&G is out already, while OMS will be available after the GRRR-release.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 9, 2012 12:51

It really isn't that bad a song.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: November 9, 2012 13:38

Slimharpo
Okay, the key line starts this "Oooh baby, I got a message for you
You got me doing something I thought I never would do, give me one more shot." Basically it's a painful junkie relapse thing with a duel meaning about addiction to love, sex, heroin. I think the song is flying over a lot of people's heads. The line "i love, I love, I love" in that pleading tone is the on the "knees type" pleading of the junkie or desperate lover.

These lyrics I believe to be essentialyl all Keith. The song's pretty brilliant. The lyric concept is very deep and metaphorical. The prison type references may allude also to struggles with drugs. "Keep me in corrections, for my own protection at your discretion." This could be a legal/rehab type scenario where some drug is given in measured doses. Could be like Methadone or suboxine administered at minimal level to prevent the addict from going into shock.. It could also be how much priveledge Mick gives Keith. Very interesting song now. It flew over my head a bit at first. @#$%& brilliant!

Interesting take. I think it sounds good and there's actually some sort of "feel" in the groove, which I haven't heard in a long time. However, I think there is a lot of unused musical potential and the song unfortunately reduces itself to a repetitive riff based jam. It's not a song, it's an great idea that could have developed into a song.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: November 9, 2012 14:21

I think it's one of their best songs. The way Mick sings kind of in that demanding 7th chord way "Gimme one more shot." It's just great. That opening line about "doing something I never thought I'd do.... One more shot." That's really great because you know for the junkie it's never just "one more shot." I think for Mick maybe the reason he sings it is it speaks to him. Even though he swore off the Stones, he just has to keeping coming back for "one more shot." The song speaks in a clever way to a lot of things. I'm just dissapointed in myself for not seeing it. It's much more clever than "how can I stop." This one's much more sly. Keith know's it's not just "one more shot." It metaphorical, satirical and very relevant.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 9, 2012 14:22

treaclefingers
TheBlockbuster
I prefer Doom and Gloom

And this new mix for 'Grrrr' is really good

Thanks sounds great.

So is this yet another mix then, different from the ITunes version, and the single edit version, and you're saying it will be on GRRR!?

I'm beginning to lose track!

So am I understanding it correctly that, just like Doom & Gloom, there will be two different versions of One More Shot available? An album version and a radio version, perhaps?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 9, 2012 16:13

Bärs
However, I think there is a lot of unused musical potential and the song unfortunately reduces itself to a repetitive riff based jam. It's not a song, it's an great idea that could have developed into a song.

Sorry, I don't agree concerning "unused musical potential". In fact, the song sounds incredibly constructed - I hear Street Fighting Man, Take It So Hard, Mixed Emotions, Rough Justice and the drum break from You Got Me Rocking - in a way that I ask myself what's the essence of One More Shot as a song on it's own at all? What is there that could be developed further? Adding another wellknown riff in there like the start of Brown Sugar?

One More Shot simply does not stand on it's own feet, it's a patchwork job.

However, it's possible that this was fully intentional, like saying: "Hey, no matter how many more shots we'll give you in future, they will all sound the same because the well is dry!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-09 16:16 by alimente.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 9, 2012 16:14

OK, after a few listens I can say - I like it. It has a modest charm, and it captivates you every time you listen to it.
Still, D&G is my fav from two new songs

"Mick Jagger: I knocked out "Doom & Gloom" in very quick time, did a quick demo of it, and it didn't come out a million miles away from that, to be honest. Everyone's saying good things about it, so I can't be happier. "One Last Shot" is a song that Keith wrote mostly. I wrote some extra lyrics for it. It's really good."
[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 9, 2012 16:20

proudmary
OK, after a few listens I can say - I like it. It has a modest charm, and it captivates you every time you listen to it.
Still, D&G is my fav from two new songs

"Mick Jagger: I knocked out "Doom & Gloom" in very quick time, did a quick demo of it, and it didn't come out a million miles away from that, to be honest. Everyone's saying good things about it, so I can't be happier. "One Last Shot" is a song that Keith wrote mostly. I wrote some extra lyrics for it. It's really good."
[www.billboard.com]

I better not start reading between the lines, but Mick's sarcasm is obvious.

Date: November 9, 2012 16:48

Doxa
Now listened it five times...

To me this sounds 100% Richards song - meaning: Jagger didn't bother to finish the song - add melody and structure, and most of all, lyrics. He tries to sing the first 'Oooh baby' (how damn lame!) with some little extra spark, but then loses his interest and just follows blindly Keith's sketchy lines and melody approximations. The ring in Jagger's tone says it all: 'this is a stupid song'.

Probably the song might have worked better if Keith had sang it. Perhaps those empty lines and word fragments might have more meaning via his 'straight from the heart' interpretation a'la "Take It So Hard". Maybe.

Or maybe they could have given it to Ringo Ronnie...

- Doxa

You always find the right words. In this 15 page thread, "STUPID" is perhaps the only apt description of One More Shot

Date: November 9, 2012 18:13

Mick saying "One Last Shot" is a song that Keith wrote mostly. I wrote some extra lyrics for it. It's really good" is hilarious, maybe because it reminds him of Street Fighting Man from Live Licks?

Date: November 9, 2012 18:22

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Mick saying "One Last Shot" is a song that Keith wrote mostly. I wrote some extra lyrics for it. It's really good" is hilarious, maybe because it reminds him of Street Fighting Man from Live Licks?

It´s not the opening chords that are important in OMS, LOL!

It´s obvious that the AC/DC-break, used for the chorus is what Keith came up with. The I-IV-riffing is just a vehicle for the verses, like on hundreds of other Stones-tunes.

It´s really too simple, and not much of a song, but it grows on me - dunno why smiling smiley

Date: November 9, 2012 18:26

DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

It´s not the opening chords that are important in OMS, LOL!

It´s obvious that the AC/DC-break, used for the chorus is what Keith came up with. The I-IV-riffing is just a vehicle for the verses, like on hundreds of other Stones-tunes.

It´s really too simple, and not much of a song, but it grows on me - dunno why smiling smiley

It's funny how clean Keith's guitar sounds on this tune.

I finally got the Mixed Emotions reference. It's hilairious how this song has so many other songs in it. Although no one has complained about Sad Sad Sad being Brown Sugar in reverse...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home