Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Date: November 9, 2012 18:31

This is very strange. Doom And Gloom and now One More Shot have me listening to (GASP) Don't Stop and select tracks from A BIGGER BANG.

Date: November 9, 2012 18:33

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Mick saying "One Last Shot" is a song that Keith wrote mostly. I wrote some extra lyrics for it. It's really good" is hilarious, maybe because it reminds him of Street Fighting Man from Live Licks?

It´s not the opening chords that are important in OMS, LOL!

It´s obvious that the AC/DC-break, used for the chorus is what Keith came up with. The I-IV-riffing is just a vehicle for the verses, like on hundreds of other Stones-tunes.

It´s really too simple, and not much of a song, but it grows on me - dunno why smiling smiley

It's funny how clean Keith's guitar sounds on this tune.

I finally got the Mixed Emotions reference. It's hilairious how this song has so many other songs in it. Although no one has complained about Sad Sad Sad being Brown Sugar in reverse...

This one starts out like Take It So Hard in reverse smiling smiley

Yeah, the sound is very similar to Mixed Emotion. Some of his rhythm playing in there is a blueprint of it as well.

I like his second guitar that underlines the melody line in the chorus. It´s good to hear ol´Keith back in shape again rhythm-wise - some cool things in there, if you listen closely.

Date: November 9, 2012 18:39

Yeah, Take It So Hard in reverse. Ronnie doing the SFM-esque jiggle line. It's very Stones indeed. At some point some song will sound like another song. It's happened before. At least this one turns into AC/DC!

Date: November 9, 2012 18:44

In mid-site, at least DAG and OMS have given this board some new life, some new bones to chew on. With all the monkey talk about the silly primate album I was starting to wonder if everyone was walking around in the rain with umbrellas that were only the frames and insisting that they were dry.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: November 9, 2012 21:12

alimente
Bärs
However, I think there is a lot of unused musical potential and the song unfortunately reduces itself to a repetitive riff based jam. It's not a song, it's an great idea that could have developed into a song.

Sorry, I don't agree concerning "unused musical potential". In fact, the song sounds incredibly constructed - I hear Street Fighting Man, Take It So Hard, Mixed Emotions, Rough Justice and the drum break from You Got Me Rocking - in a way that I ask myself what's the essence of One More Shot as a song on it's own at all? What is there that could be developed further? Adding another wellknown riff in there like the start of Brown Sugar?

One More Shot simply does not stand on it's own feet, it's a patchwork job.

However, it's possible that this was fully intentional, like saying: "Hey, no matter how many more shots we'll give you in future, they will all sound the same because the well is dry!"

I meant that you could put more ideas into it. But after a few listens I really start to like this song. I'd love to hear it live, or drunk in a bar.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 9, 2012 21:29

DandelionPowderman
JumpinJackOLantern
riverrat
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
superrevvy
Erik, no, I think Stones fans won't let Mick do anything else but the Stones.
He needs them if he's gonna move on, but Stones fans absolutely refuse to let him.
So he's punishing them now, I think, like they're punishing him.

Look what Mick said about Stones fans: they're "drunk and insane" so he's gonna
crash the fcukin plane.

I raised this question in a thread of its own, which got zero agreement: Was
Mick intentionally crashing the Stones?

After all this crap, these tickets, this album, is there still 100% disagreement
that Mick wants out?

And what did he say he wanted to call this tour? No doubt he is punishing us! You have been right all along.

Mick has no loyalties to anyone. I feel sorry for LWren. Just a matter of time.

He ain't leavin' L'Wren. That's ridiculous, too. They're perfectly happy in how they figured out how to live together freely but committed.

Ha. They don't come any better than Gerry Hall.

Has Jerry become a tranny now?
A tranny nanny - friday night, let's get the show on. A couple of beers or more and the show is on....smileys with beer

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 9, 2012 21:31

i have half a mind to toss on all three grrr discs tonight and light up a stogie and open up a bottle of single malt....and....hey! anyone wanna come over?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2012 21:32

StonesTod
i have half a mind to toss on all three grrr discs tonight and light up a stogie and open up a bottle of single malt....and....hey! anyone wanna come over?

What is the other half telling you to do?

Date: November 9, 2012 21:35

treaclefingers
StonesTod

it's the only half i have left

Date: November 9, 2012 21:57

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

Wouldn't that mean that you made the initial suggestion with only a quarter mind? Now I'm getting confused.

Date: November 9, 2012 22:02

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

Wouldn't that mean that you made the initial suggestion with only a quarter mind? Now I'm getting confused.

why don't you mind your own business
'cause if you mind your business
then you won't be mindin' mine

Date: November 9, 2012 22:03

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

why don't you mind your own business
'cause if you mind your business
then you won't be mindin' mine

kind of feels like you're giving me the business.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 9, 2012 22:05

hey! anyone wanna come over?

YEAH but will it be a sleep-over???.... I don't own any PJ's

ROCKMAN

Date: November 9, 2012 22:07

Rockman
hey! anyone wanna come over?

YEAH but will it be a sleep-over???.... I don't own any PJ's

it's come as you are...or come as you'd rather be...either way....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 9, 2012 22:21

No, it won't get any better.. just more annoying...sad smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 9, 2012 22:53

After a first listen, definitively to me an instant Stones song. Keith, Charlie are truly there. Though D&G is a great tune, this one overcomes it. It should be fantastic alive. In the vein of ABB and SFM.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: November 9, 2012 23:20

Doom and Gloom is a much better song.

But this one is more catchy and you get that chorus
stuck in your head right away.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: November 9, 2012 23:43

Doom and Gloom is better except the music and the words. The lyrical conxept of Doom and Glooms pales compared with One More Shot. The music of One More Shot is much more catchy and more Stones like. Otherwise Doom and Gloom is much better. Lol.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 9, 2012 23:47

They gotta stop this nonsense. Dont they have anybody who can tell them to sharpen up and really try to create something. Lock them inside a cave for a week or something.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 9, 2012 23:48

Great!!!! Now we have the release of two compilations:
. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! with the same songs that we already have
. Nanana nana nanana: here we have SFM + RJ + ME + TISH all together in one single song ¡¡¡this is magic!!!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 10, 2012 01:01

Terrific review of One More Shot from The Telegraph. Apologies if it's been posted somewhere already.

The new Rolling Stones song One More Shot is dirty, swaggering and perfectly Stonesy, writes Neil McCormick.

Two new songs in seven years might not suggest the Rolling Stones are the hardest working band in showbusiness but at least when they do get it together in the studio they still sound like they really believe they are the world’s greatest.

Previewed on BBC 6 Music this morning, One More Shot is the second new recording from the Stones's recent Paris sessions, following last month’s release of Doom & Gloom. Both were recorded for inclusion on a 50th anniversary hits compilation, GRRR!, out next week, and it’s a relief to report that they won’t sound out of place amongst the veteran band’s many classic hits.

Doom & Gloom had a quality of attack about it, an energised, up-tempo blues with a vaguely political lyric, hinting at the Stones's Sixties incarnation as a band who surfed a spirit of generational dissatisfaction, even if the generation they are addressing probably worry more about pensions than revolution. That was essentially a Jagger song, he and Richards's "Glimmer Twins" songwriting partnership long since having divided along Lennon-McCartney lines, so that one takes the lead role while the other may fill in the spaces. Now Keith Richards gets his chance to remind us why the band have held a place in our affections for so long. Where Jagger’s fast, hard blues reminded us of the Stones's rock attack, Keith’s all about the roll.

The riff that kicks it all off and drives right through is reassuringly familiar, another classic variation of the kind of thing the Stones have been playing for half a century. If you could bottle that dirty, swaggering, lazy, slightly delayed rhythm guitar part you could market it as the very essence of Richards, the warm stink of gyspy outlaw rock’n’roll bravado, eau du Keef. It’s a little bit Jumping Jack Flash and a little bit Start It Up, driven along by Charlie Watts simple but swinging beat, just that micro-fraction behind where you might expect it to be.

Here's the link:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-10 16:18 by latebloomer.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 10, 2012 12:41

I like One More Shot! And I like Doom And Gloom!

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: November 10, 2012 14:37

Best sounding Stones song in many, many years!

Posted by: neilly43 ()
Date: November 10, 2012 15:23

Do you think they wrote Doom and Gloom after reading some of the posts on here??? BTW I love both of the new tracks both interesting listens with a lot in them if you bother listen closely. I also love the fact that at 70 years old and 50 years on they can still elicit passion and interest from the media -name me another a Group that comes close to doing this?
Leaves me wanting to hear more from them..

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: November 10, 2012 16:10

like the song more and more, it has the groove

question - why it was first reported as "One last shot" and now we have "One more shot? not really clear, if someone can explain would be great

Date: November 10, 2012 16:20

neilly43
Do you think they wrote Doom and Gloom after reading some of the posts on here???

A troll here with that convenient name has essentially implied that but there is zero reason to believe such a thing. Afterall, it's the internet. Only a lunatic would believe such a work of fiction.

Date: November 10, 2012 16:29

The youtube version of One More Shot is the album version or is that the radio mix?

Date: November 10, 2012 16:36

i listened to the entire 3cd set last night...by the time i was done with the last 2 songs i was kinda thinking that maybe streets of love wasn't so bad after all....

Date: November 10, 2012 16:43

StonesTod
i listened to the entire 3cd set last night...by the time i was done with the last 2 songs i was kinda thinking that maybe streets of love wasn't so bad after all....

You're right. Streets Of Love isn't so bad - it's 100% bad.

Date: November 10, 2012 16:49

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod

You're right. Streets Of Love isn't so bad - it's 100% bad.

at least there's an attempt (a failed on, albeit) at making MUSIC. these new "songs" don't even go there....truly abysmal stuff.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home