Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: November 9, 2012 00:20

I like the AC/DC vibe with the backing vocals nanananananana

Jaggers few lubbalubbalubbas not my bag.

Where's keefs on lead vocals. that would ROOOOOOL

\m/

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 9, 2012 00:31

stonesnow
Because good songs deserve to remain in print, on a release that still can be purchased in 10 years, unlike Grrr! and other comps of its ilk. All this heated reaction and debate over a pair of bookends on a soon-to-be dated compliation album. I've already moved on from these 2 new ditties and am now awaiting the new studio album. Mick has said he wants to do one, so there will be one. They'll have one more shot and more for sure!

Wait a second....now THAT'S interesting! You don't blame the band for lacklustre output, you blame the format?

So where is this fabled album they're saving their best songs for?

Oh, not even recorded yet? Mmmh.

I mean, are 7 (SEVEN) years not enough time to come up with a new album for their 50th Anniversary PLUS 2 halfway decent songs for a compilation?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 9, 2012 00:32

i think is the very first time i feel dissapointed. When i heard D&G i shouted GO ON WITH A NEW ALBUM!!!. Now i prefer to be quiet
I hope it will grow in me
Anyway, rough KR's guitar, very energetic, but it is always the same trick between I and IV, ande everytime worse. Ronnies licks, very poor. Too much Leavell, it sounded like the keyboards from like a rolling stone

Posted by: euro'73 ()
Date: November 9, 2012 00:44

One More Shot = Take It So Hard opening riff

Posted by: 57LesPaulSpecial ()
Date: November 9, 2012 00:46

I had to force myself to listen to it to the end.

Date: November 9, 2012 00:49

I'll give it a new chance in 1 or 2 days....................... i agree, Jagger is too loud on the mix
and the guitar riff is an auto-autoplagio, they have done it to death.
I use not to despise this group, i like almost everything they have done.............but OMS is in the bad part

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 9, 2012 00:55

It ain't that bad. Jesus, the way some people here react eye rolling smiley

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: November 9, 2012 00:59

This are good times to be a Stones fan.

Great to have the new songs and all the
recent activity.
Just lower ticket prices for 2013 and we're
back in business.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 9, 2012 01:13

Big Al
It ain't that bad.

high praise, indeed

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 9, 2012 01:29

The "riff" at the beginning sound like they just added some tape of Keith Richards tuning up to the song. Still it's miles better than Doom & Gloom.

Date: November 9, 2012 01:30

I've been brave and i have listened again; it makes don't stop a classic. In this song you have the SFM riff the rythm patern from mixed emotions; the only original thing is the "na na na na". Buff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2012 01:40

StonesTod
Big Al
It ain't that bad.

high praise, indeed

I'd like to nominate 'high praise, indeed' to be retired to the IORR Sarcastic Hall of Fame in the category of 'Nifty Quips'.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 9, 2012 01:49

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Big Al
It ain't that bad.

high praise, indeed

I'd like to nominate 'high praise, indeed' to be retired to the IORR Sarcastic Hall of Fame in the category of 'Nifty Quips'.

but first you have to have a replacement or we'll be one nifty quip short of our quip quota...kind of a quid pro quo quota quip thing....

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 9, 2012 01:52

I really like Doom And Gloom, but this is average to below average at best. Yes it's better than the new songs on 40 Licks other than Don't Stop, but man those 3 songs really blew. As others have pointed out, this has no real melody and seems to be a ripoff/mismash of Street Fighting Man, Mixed Emotions and Take It So Hard. Hmmm, maybe if they'd left the Mixed Emotions Part out. And those na na nas are pretty bad.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2012 01:54

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Big Al
It ain't that bad.

high praise, indeed

but first you have to have a replacement or we'll be one nifty quip short of our quip quota...kind of a quid pro quo quota quip thing....

That's only fair...I would like to nominate:

"Watchew talkin' 'bout Willis" as a possible replacement.

another option might be to go with something like:

"That's what she said", which I think fits reasonably well.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 9, 2012 02:00

alimente
stonesnow
Because good songs deserve to remain in print, on a release that still can be purchased in 10 years, unlike Grrr! and other comps of its ilk. All this heated reaction and debate over a pair of bookends on a soon-to-be dated compliation album. I've already moved on from these 2 new ditties and am now awaiting the new studio album. Mick has said he wants to do one, so there will be one. They'll have one more shot and more for sure!

Wait a second....now THAT'S interesting! You don't blame the band for lacklustre output, you blame the format?

So where is this fabled album they're saving their best songs for?

Oh, not even recorded yet? Mmmh.

I mean, are 7 (SEVEN) years not enough time to come up with a new album for their 50th Anniversary PLUS 2 halfway decent songs for a compilation?

I'm not blaming anyone or anything. It's the hype and hoopla of the 50th anniversary itself that has gotten in the way of a new album. Anniversaries are ceremonial occasions, hence the Grrr! comp for the 50th, just as there was the Forty Licks for the 40th. Now, knowing what you know about Forty Licks [it's out of print after 10 years], what do you think the fate of Grrr! will be in 10 years? I'm sure The Stones know this as well, and they're not about to go all out to issue top-quality new material just to see it go out of print in a few years. As proof of that, they put 4 songs on Forty Licks, so why not 5 on Grrr!? Because it's not worth the trouble. It's just a friggin' comp fa'Micksakes! What do people expect, anyway?....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 9, 2012 02:02

So those of you who don't like the new songs: Are you gonna buy the album because of the 78 old ones? Personally, I would consider buying a single with the two new songs even if they aren't masterpieces. I'm not that interested in buying the old songs over and over. But I guess there won't be any new single.

Date: November 9, 2012 02:17

rambler44
Whenever that day is it will be sad one. My point is let's enjoy the new stuff for what it is; The work of near 70 year old Rock Legends. If you look at it like that I think the new songs are great. And far better than 90% of anything todays rock bands could put out. Too many people on this board are still looking for the Stones to put out the same quality of stuff they put out from 1968-1972. We all know that isn't happening.

It hasn't happened and it never will. Mainly because, well, totally because it's not 1972.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: November 9, 2012 02:19

I like this song very much, much more as Gloom And Doom.

Date: November 9, 2012 02:23

Shantipole
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I hoped for it to be better than a few things and they are. But none of that really matters. They haven't been relevant for several hundred years now so it's not like that has any credence to it.

Relevant to what? Transient tastes? 99 cent cookie cutter throwaway singles? Nicki Minaj? 17 year olds? 60 year olds?

The usual 'relevance' that people spew about music, which makes zero sense.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 9, 2012 02:34

The long version with a second "na na na na na" with Keith on backing vocals after the solo makes it much better...it seems they were running out of space on the CD and decided to stop it at 3'05" unfortunately.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 9, 2012 02:42

I like the song

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: November 9, 2012 02:48

Gazza
My expectations might be 'too high' but they're based on what I hear and what they choose to release.

Yours are based on make believe classics that Keith has churned out in the basement studio (presumably the same one he closed about four years ago) and a lot of ifs and buts.

If he has written good songs, why not put them on this release instead?

Saving them for the next killer album deal? So UMe can't control everything? A "secret" solo album? The next extras album that they'll pull out for Tattoo You's reissue?

Date: November 9, 2012 02:51

mtaylor
Gazza
My expectations might be 'too high' but they're based on what I hear and what they choose to release.

Yours are based on make believe classics that Keith has churned out in the basement studio (presumably the same one he closed about four years ago) and a lot of ifs and buts.

Since 1994, the Stones have released something like ten songs that have been primarily written by Keith Richards. More than half of which were on BTB in 1997. Thats barely one song every two years. And he hasn't released any compositions in that time on non-Stones records.

I wouldn't hold your breath too long for that 'next full studio album'. Especially as they have no contractual obligation to make one under the terms of their current contract, which is due to expire next summer.

If you listen to Ronnie interview in NME, you will hear his saying they have done some 18 songs and they probably will meet next year, maybe March where they will cut the songs.

And we should believe Ronnie/take Ronnie seriously because... he wrote his book first or because he knows how long a piece of string is?

Date: November 9, 2012 02:56

stonesnow
Gazza

I wouldn't hold your breath too long for that 'next full studio album'. Especially as they have no contractual obligation to make one under the terms of their current contract, which is due to expire next summer.

Because good songs deserve to remain in print, on a release that still can be purchased in 10 years, unlike Grrr! and other comps of its ilk... I've already moved on from these 2 new ditties and am now awaiting the new studio album.

Somebody get Stonesnow some life support because he's gonna be holding his breath for possibly three more years, which will make it TEN since their last album, if they, er, Mick bothers.

I guess that GRRR! 'and other comps of its ilk' bit can be lumped into all of their comps being worthless? Like Hot Rocks? Yeah, who would want to bother with that one? Oh wait. I get it. Jumpin' Jack Flash is on however many comps, as is Start Me Up and on and on.

So they're... all worthless then? Well that's cool. I still have my copies.

Date: November 9, 2012 03:07

stonesnow
Anniversaries are ceremonial occasions, hence the Grrr! comp for the 50th, just as there was the Forty Licks for the 40th.

I don't recall when Forty Licks came out date wise but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the week of their 40th year but GRRR! will come out a little while after their 50th year, actually in their 51st year, making it not exactly a celebration of their 50th, with like, you know, just sayin' 'n' stuff, stuff like that, the July 12th hoopla and all that (when technically July 11th was exactly 50 years, if you want to get GRRRpicky about it).

Haven't they missed the boat with the 50th thing? It was celebrated back in July. THAT'S when they should've released soemthing. Their movie stops with the Tattoo You tour, there's hardly anything post 1981 on the monkey album. It's just...bizarre.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 9, 2012 03:16

I just forced myself to listen to OMS for the second time. Part of me wants to blame Ronnie and Chuck for this. Ronnie strikes me as one of those guys that'll say he likes damn near anything keith or mick present to him. And Chuck doesn't particularly care what any song sounds like as long as he can ruin it with his piano. So mick and keith are somewhat in their own universe having written so many cool songs in the past, that they basically think that they can do no wrong. And the entourage of yes men hangers on and producers kiss their butts up until they release a directionless goose egg like one more shot. The whole time during recording OMS keith&mick are sealed in a snow globe of praise for every sound they make be it a sneeze or a fart, so they're not even aware of the quality of the musical product in the real world.

Keith's backup vocal may well be bernard doing his keith impersonation. The mix there is muddled seemingly on purpose. Which to me is merely cover for bernard doing it live since keith can't walk and chew gum so well anymore when it comes to playing& singing at the same time.

Ronnie seems to be doing that thing where he closes his eye&grimaces as if he's feeling soulful, yet doesn't quite manage to play enough notes or melody and leaves you scratching your head wondering where the hell the rest of the solo went.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 9, 2012 03:16

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonesnow
Gazza

Because good songs deserve to remain in print, on a release that still can be purchased in 10 years, unlike Grrr! and other comps of its ilk... I've already moved on from these 2 new ditties and am now awaiting the new studio album.

Somebody get Stonesnow some life support because he's gonna be holding his breath for possibly three more years, which will make it TEN since their last album, if they, er, Mick bothers.

I guess that GRRR! 'and other comps of its ilk' bit can be lumped into all of their comps being worthless? Like Hot Rocks? Yeah, who would want to bother with that one? Oh wait. I get it. Jumpin' Jack Flash is on however many comps, as is Start Me Up and on and on.

So they're... all worthless then? Well that's cool. I still have my copies.

Hot Rocks is an essential comp--if you are just starting your Stones collection, as I was 30 years ago, unless of course you just can't live without owning the cover art in miniaturized digital format. But if you have all the albums, you can make your own comp, for as little as 40 cents. Why should record producers and the like dictate in what order you should listen to randomly collected songs?

Date: November 9, 2012 03:17

Ronnie 'Yes' Wood.

Date: November 9, 2012 03:18

arthritis
I just forced myself to listen to OMS for the second time. Part of me wants to blame Ronnie and Chuck for this. Ronnie strikes me as one of those guys that'll say he likes damn near anything keith or mick present to him. And Chuck doesn't particularly care what any song sounds like as long as he can ruin it with his piano. So mick and keith are somewhat in their own universe having written so many cool songs in the past, that they basically think that they can do no wrong. And the entourage of yes men hangers on and producers kiss their butts up until they release a directionless goose egg like one more shot. The whole time during recording OMS keith&mick are sealed in a snow globe of praise for every sound they make be it a sneeze or a fart, so they're not even aware of the quality of the musical product in the real world.

I'm very glad I wasn't drinking a beer or eating something when I read that.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home