Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:08

As i clicked onto youtube to listen to one more shot for the first time, i had a slight grin and zero expectations. My expectations were met. All that down time they had& they release this? I think the title of the song should've been "Vague, directionless& cheerful."

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:14

The AC/DC fan in me loves it. Of course its throwaway, but it sounds cool to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 21:14 by letitloose.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:21

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

By Neil McCormick
11:10AM GMT 08 Nov 2012
29 Comments
Two new songs in seven years might not suggest the Rolling Stones are the hardest working band in showbusiness but at least when they do get it together in the studio they still sound like they really believe they are the world’s greatest.

Previewed on BBC 6 Music this morning, One More Shot is the second new recording from the Stones's recent Paris sessions, following last month’s release of Doom & Gloom. Both were recorded for inclusion on a 50th anniversary hits compilation, GRRR!, out next week, and it’s a relief to report that they won’t sound out of place amongst the veteran band’s many classic hits.

Doom & Gloom had a quality of attack about it, an energised, up-tempo blues with a vaguely political lyric, hinting at the Stones's Sixties incarnation as a band who surfed a spirit of generational dissatisfaction, even if the generation they are addressing probably worry more about pensions than revolution. That was essentially a Jagger song, he and Richards's "Glimmer Twins" songwriting partnership long since having divided along Lennon-McCartney lines, so that one takes the lead role while the other may fill in the spaces. Now Keith Richards gets his chance to remind us why the band have held a place in our affections for so long. Where Jagger’s fast, hard blues reminded us of the Stones's rock attack, Keith’s all about the roll.

The riff that kicks it all off and drives right through is reassuringly familiar, another classic variation of the kind of thing the Stones have been playing for half a century. If you could bottle that dirty, swaggering, lazy, slightly delayed rhythm guitar part you could market it as the very essence of Richards, the warm stink of gyspy outlaw rock’n’roll bravado, eau du Keef. It’s a little bit Jumping Jack Flash and a little bit Start It Up, driven along by Charlie Watts simple but swinging beat, just that micro-fraction behind where you might expect it to be.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:23

JoT839
After listening to the 3 opening chords for the first time, my 4-year old bursts out "Ahh, it's the Rocking Stones"...

That works for me, "passing it on" as Keith would say.

rocknroll for four-year-olds...cool.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:24

I can't see anything wrong with this. I've only heard it at very low volume at the office on computer speakers - is that a 12-string in the intro?

Pretty good classic rock tune.

Date: November 8, 2012 21:26

three16
Jaggers on fire.

i thot that phrase was permanently banned from this site?

Date: November 8, 2012 21:28

arthritis
As i clicked onto youtube to listen to one more shot for the first time, i had a slight grin and zero expectations. My expectations were met. All that down time they had& they release this? I think the title of the song should've been "Vague, directionless& cheerful."

on a 0-10 scale, it's a solid 0?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:29

StonesTod
arthritis

I think you're being a little generous Tod.

Date: November 8, 2012 21:31

crumbling_mice
StonesTod
arthritis

I think you're being a little generous Tod.

i'm only asking the arthritic guy....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:31

StonesTod
JoT839
After listening to the 3 opening chords for the first time, my 4-year old bursts out "Ahh, it's the Rocking Stones"...

I can easily imagine One More Shot being suitable for 4 year olds and liked by them. They could even sing along with the chorus. It's the exact kind of "rock" and simple lyrics that are used in certain children TV series....maybe a cartoon about a pirate or something.

Date: November 8, 2012 21:35

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
JoT839

I can easily imagine One More Shot being suitable for 4 year olds and liked by them. They could even sing along with the chorus. It's the exact kind of "rock" and simple lyrics that are used in certain children TV series....maybe a cartoon about a pirate or something.

i haven't listened to it yet, erik...but just reading through this thread makes me feel like i've heard it many times. in fact, i don't ever think i've ever had a more well-founded opinion about a song i haven't heard.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:42

StonesTod
arthritis

Yes, i'd give it a zero. I mean, did the stones huddle after writing this and talk to each other how boss one more shot is? Did they high five each other in the recording studio when the producer played the finished track back to them for the first time?

Date: November 8, 2012 21:44

arthritis
StonesTod
arthritis

Yes, i'd give it a zero. I mean, did the stones huddle after writing this and talk to each other how boss one more shot is? Did they high five each other in the recording studio when the producer played the finished track back to them for the first time?

maybe he played back gimmie shelter instead and they all gave high-fives....

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:46

I like it but the I do not like the mix. I prefer Mick a bit futher back in the mix rather than so sonically seperated. It definatly was not cooked long enough, with more work it could be a real good song.

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:46

What a bunch of pathetic, sad, little losers you people here are.

Crybabies, whiners and haters living in the past. Pitiful.

Both songs are excellent.

Please get lives. This is 2012. Not '64, '69, or '72. If you're not happy that the Rolling Stones are still around making music then GO AWAY. You're not impressing anyone with your negativity. You don't appear knowledgeable or cool...just ridiculous for even being here. Don't you have ANYTHING else to do?? Are your lives that empty??

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:50

Really? I am not sad, I am quite happy.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:52

ZantiMisfit

Please get lives. This is 2012. Not '64, '69, or '72. If you're not happy that the Rolling Stones are still around making music then GO AWAY. You're not impressing anyone with your negativity. You don't appear knowledgeable or cool...just ridiculous for even being here. Don't you have ANYTHING else to do?? Are your lives that empty??

Do you have anything else to do but whine about other posters taste?
I think this your 10th post in this style

Date: November 8, 2012 21:53

ZantiMisfit

you don't know the half of it. our lives are beyond empty. it's really quite embarrassing.

Date: November 8, 2012 21:54

Bob C.
Really? I am not sad, I am quite happy.

you're just in denial. it goes through stages, you know.

Posted by: justamomentita ()
Date: November 8, 2012 22:07

I like both of these songs, like em a lot.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 8, 2012 22:11

Gazza
audun-eg
Honestman
audun-eg
And I would like to hear the whiners here make a better song! smiling bouncing smiley

What's the point with the whiners ?
Some people here (and I'm in) just give their 2cts. It's not because we like a Band that we should say Wow each time they released somethin' new.

I don't think you have to be a songwriter or musician to have an opinion on a song. It's a matter of taste anyway, but still the general mood on this board the last couple of years seems to be that the Stones should have retired at least twenty years ago, and everything they have done since Tattoo You is pure shite.

No harm in not liking these two new songs, but posts like "It's shite" and simillar are just pointless, so how about going a bit deeper in analyzing why one doesn't like it? This gives the threads a little more quality and don't make them seem so "whiney".

I certainly don't WOW these two new songs, but they are new recordings from my favorite band, the first in 7 years. I think that's good even though these songs are far from their most classic work, but I'll still enjoy them for what they are: Fresh new recordings from The Rolling Stones. And they're not bad tunes/recordings either.

With respect, thats a ludicrous generalisation.

Personally, I dont think they 'should have retired 20 years ago'. Bridges to Babylon was excellent and I liked Bigger Bang too.

THIS however, whilst its a decent enough song, is substandard as Rolling Stones material. I dont expect them to match Gimme Shelter or Moonlight Mile or anything lofty like that, but by the same token I do think its not unreasonable to expect them to be capable of better efforts than this. Especially after seven bloody years.

If we elevate this band to the levels we have done for the last 40 years, then its pointless throwing around meaningless guff like 'the greatest rock n roll band in the world' if they're putting out a couple of songs every decade or so, and what they are putting out sounds like it could have been thrown together in ten minutes as an afterthought. Some of the lyrics read like they were written by a 12 year old.

Your expectations are too high at the moment. These are just a pair of B-level throwaway tunes for a compilation album. They know as well as anyone that in a few years Grrr! will be out of print like Forty Licks is now, and likewise any new tracks included will also be forgotten. If they have another Rough Justice in the can, it would be saved for a new original album, not wasted on another treadmill short-lived comp album. We have no idea what Keith has been writing, we only know of what has been released. Let us suspend damning judgments until we've heard the next full studio album of original songs. Compilations fade and disappear, but the original albums remain as true definers of legacy. It's only 2 songs fa'Keef sakes!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2012 22:27

My expectations might be 'too high' but they're based on what I hear and what they choose to release.

Yours are based on make believe classics that Keith has churned out in the basement studio (presumably the same one he closed about four years ago) and a lot of ifs and buts.

If he has written good songs, why not put them on this release instead?

Since 1994, the Stones have released something like ten songs that have been primarily written by Keith Richards. More than half of which were on BTB in 1997. Thats barely one song every two years. And he hasn't released any compositions in that time on non-Stones records.

I wouldn't hold your breath too long for that 'next full studio album'. Especially as they have no contractual obligation to make one under the terms of their current contract, which is due to expire next summer.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 22:28

Great song, but way too short! Classic Keith tune in the style of How I Wish or Take It So Hard. Keith has always been a fan of ACDC and you can hear it. Would love to hear this with Keith on vocals.

Pete.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 8, 2012 22:38

Gazza
My expectations might be 'too high' but they're based on what I hear and what they choose to release.

Yours are based on make believe classics that Keith has churned out in the basement studio (presumably the same one he closed about four years ago) and a lot of ifs and buts.

Since 1994, the Stones have released something like ten songs that have been primarily written by Keith Richards. More than half of which were on BTB in 1997. Thats barely one song every two years. And he hasn't released any compositions in that time on non-Stones records.

I wouldn't hold your breath too long for that 'next full studio album'. Especially as they have no contractual obligation to make one under the terms of their current contract, which is due to expire next summer.

If you listen to Ronnie interview in NME, you will hear his saying they have done some 18 songs and they probably will meet next year, maybe March where they will cut the songs.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 8, 2012 22:39

Gazza

Because good songs deserve to remain in print, on a release that still can be purchased in 10 years, unlike Grrr! and other comps of its ilk. All this heated reaction and debate over a pair of bookends on a soon-to-be dated compliation album. I've already moved on from these 2 new ditties and am now awaiting the new studio album. Mick has said he wants to do one, so there will be one. They'll have one more shot and more for sure!

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 8, 2012 23:04

On second listen, just like Doom and Gloom, I'm starting to like it. But the audience is gonna think Keith is starting SFM if they play this one live. No problem copying yourself, but wouldn't it be safer to list Jagger-Richards-Young-Young on the songwriting credits like they did for k.d.Lang?

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 23:08

Nice song. It´s an authentic Stones song.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 8, 2012 23:17

OneHit
The YouTube video has been taken down. Where can we listen to it?

I have arrived at page 5 of this thread (after having had a busy day at work).

At last, I find a post relevant for my situation.

To me "Doom and Gloom" is a vital Rolling Stones single, of "One More Shot" I know nothing yet. Soon I will not read further this evening, with a busy tomorrow following.

Eventually, I have obtained a functioning link, and, consequently, I have listened to it. However, for my own part I am not able to comment on it at this early stage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-09 17:16 by Witness.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2012 23:18

mtaylor
Gazza

If you listen to Ronnie interview in NME, you will hear his saying they have done some 18 songs and they probably will meet next year, maybe March where they will cut the songs.

It's plausible. Well, as plausible as his claim at the start of the BTB tour that theyd do an album every 18 months from now on or his claim at the start of the Licks tour that they'd do entire albums from start to finish on the 'theme' nights. Including even 'Exile'.

So, if his logic is sound, they're going to do an extensive tour next year and - in the middle of it - record a new album that they're then presumably going to have out in time for the shows in the summer?

Unless they're planning to continue a tour into 2014, I find that highly unlikely. Why put out a record when a tour is almost over? And which they're presumably going to play hardly anything off anyway?

I don't believe for a second they worked on 18 songs in 4 days. Especially considering they managed to get two of them finished, a feat which, by Stones' standards, was pretty good going.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: November 8, 2012 23:21

So here's what happened the day after I listened to One More Shot and bitched about it. Complaints aside, I couldn't get the chorus out of my head today at work. So now I'm at home. I really like listening to the track. I can't explain it on a cerebral level. It gets pretty catchy complaints and all. Great song with a bit of beer buzz!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home