Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 8, 2012 16:33

GravityBoy
StonesTod
GravityBoy
I didn't like Plunder My Soul.

I thought it was an outtake for a good reason.

bless you. i'm really beginning to get strong feelings for you.

I'm straight.

Just so we know.

me too. i'm a girl and i'm hot, you know.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2012 16:34

audun-eg
Gazza
audun-eg
Honestman
audun-eg
And I would like to hear the whiners here make a better song! smiling bouncing smiley

What's the point with the whiners ?
Some people here (and I'm in) just give their 2cts. It's not because we like a Band that we should say Wow each time they released somethin' new.

I don't think you have to be a songwriter or musician to have an opinion on a song. It's a matter of taste anyway, but still the general mood on this board the last couple of years seems to be that the Stones should have retired at least twenty years ago, and everything they have done since Tattoo You is pure shite.

No harm in not liking these two new songs, but posts like "It's shite" and simillar are just pointless, so how about going a bit deeper in analyzing why one doesn't like it? This gives the threads a little more quality and don't make them seem so "whiney".

I certainly don't WOW these two new songs, but they are new recordings from my favorite band, the first in 7 years. I think that's good even though these songs are far from their most classic work, but I'll still enjoy them for what they are: Fresh new recordings from The Rolling Stones. And they're not bad tunes/recordings either.

Thats generalised nonsense.

I dont think they 'should have retired 20 years ago'. Bridges to Babylon was excellent and I liked Bigger Bang too.

THIS however, whilst its a decent enough song, is substandard as Rolling Stones material. I dont expect them to match Gimme Shelter or Moonlight Mile or anything lofty like that, but by the same token I do think its not unreasonable to expect them to be capable of better efforts than this. Especially after seven bloody years.

If we elevate this band to the levels we have done for the last 40 years, then its pointless throwing around meaningless guff like 'the greatest rock n roll band in the world' if they're putting out a couple of songs every decade or so, and what they are putting out sounds like it could have been thrown together in ten minutes as an afterthought. Some of the lyrics read like they were written by a 12 year old.
Substandard to what Rolling Stones songs? The Rolling Stones catalogue is full of "substandard" songs. Maybe more in modern era, but still. These new songs are far from great as opposed to their most classic and "best" stuff, but I'm still glad they are active again and the new songs are enjoyable though not great.

Matter of opinion. I dont agree, personally. Its maybe a bit unfair to properly evaluate something after a couple of listens (be it positive or negative) but I would certainly put this in the bottom 25%. So, by that yardstick, yes it's a 'substandard Rolling Stones song'. I'm not saying it's horrible, though. Just something of a throwaway.

Difference being that when they've put out ordinary or bad songs in the past, these were usually done at times when they were otherwise quite active, so the occasional turkey is understandable when an artist is being reasonably prolific.

If you go several years without putting out any new material at all, then it's not unreasonable for people to expect that in that time you'll have cobbled together something inspired by the time you decide to finally release something. Hence the overwhelming feeling of 'Is that it?'

I'm glad they're active again too, but I happen to have higher standards from what is supposedly a 'great' band. The Stones didn't get where they are by churning out filler and having a 'f**k it - this'll do' attitude to the records they make. If you're happy enough with that, that's absolutely fine, but expecting a bit of effort from them isn't 'whining' by any stretch of the imagination.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 8, 2012 16:34

StonesTod
GravityBoy
StonesTod
GravityBoy

I'm straight.

Just so we know.

So am I.

Date: November 8, 2012 16:36

GravityBoy
StonesTod
GravityBoy
StonesTod
GravityBoy

I'm straight.

Just so we know.

So am I.

then i'm sure we can work something out

Posted by: andrewt ()

Listened to the track a few times and for me, it's self-pastiche, I can't get past that to enjoy it.

As others have mentioned, Little T&A, Mixed Emotions, A dash of SFM for "edge", but it's hookless and a completely unnecessary addition to the catalogue.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Mathijs
Doxa
Great Mick singing. A big surprise how great his voice on Doom and on this. Guys he's 69!

It is, but what bothers me in "Shot" is that he sounds like an outsider, a pro studio singer doing his thing professionally, even 'too good' in a sense. He sounds like not really putting his heart there, but using his great instrument skillfully. I don't know if I am able to express my thoughts clearly, but there is something 'fake-like' in his delivery, or that it doesn't match with the song over-all.

But damn that voice is in a good condition!

- Doxa

He's been singing like that for ages. Listen to Goddess and that dreadful Alfie stuff. He sings very, very professional, trained and produced. But that's also the fashion these days, that very technical singing, that Beyonce and Mariah Carey stuff. Look at these competition shows on TV -even if one has a crap voice he or she sill do 6 octaves with 'false air'.

Mathijs

Yeah, I know what you mean. To me SuperHeavy album is almost unlistenable due to Jagger's over-interpretation. I think Jagger hides the natural weaknesses of his voice there by using more and more Jagger-cliches, which might give a pro-like impression. Nowadays one needs to sing 'good' iin that terrible Mariah Carey/Idols sense to be a graet singer these days. And Jagger - always an eye on the contemporary scene - is to extent a victim of that fashion.

But having that said, if I change my tone here for some praisal. Namely, this accured in my mind reading the 'karaoke-thread of "Doom and Gloom" plus some other reviews of that song. These two new tracks are incredible 'Jagger's singing shows' if anything. Both songs are damn weak in pure musical terms, but it is that Jagger guy who shows his skills as an interpretor by making the weak phrases and lines and musical ideas alive. It is almost like some sort of 'school-example' of Jagger's power as a rock and roll singer. Take all the cliches, manouvres and all, but he really shows how this needs or can be done. Can't really think any singer making such much out of, for example, "Doom & Gloom". He could even go to Idols to show that...

But I understand also why this might leave some people cold - lots of it is to do with training and technics (which never been the forte of The Stones), with the lack of real artistic expression.

Finally, call me a romantic fool, but I think that his delivery has little improved during the last years, at least as far as these typical rockers go (and not perhaps the alawys ovor-interpreted nasal slow songs). I think the EXILE and SOME GIRLS projects might have a little role there in finding some lost nuances in his voice. Like studyng how he once sang. For example, I find some new spark and sharkness in "Doom & Gloom" I see terribly missing in "Rough Justice" or "God Gave Me Everything", both being rather one-dimensional. Perhaps I just want to hear that...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Remember that what you are calling "musically" weak also concerns Satisfaction and other great songs. One-dimensional grooves with a riff.

The Stones have made very few Moonlight Miles or Let It Looses - they never were about intricate, musical composing, merely how what they wrote did sound, imo.

This track has a nice chorus and singalong-theme (like it or not), but the verses are uninteresting to me. Still, there are way more one-dimensional songs (aka musically weak) that are more interesting.

Beautifully coherent Dandelion.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 8, 2012 16:37

StonesTod
GravityBoy
StonesTod
GravityBoy
StonesTod
GravityBoy

I'm straight.

Just so we know.

So am I.

then i'm sure we can work something out

I was only joking.

I'm not from this planet.

Date: November 8, 2012 16:38

Gazza
expecting a bit of effort from them isn't 'whining' by any stretch of the imagination.

true that. you want some whining? may i introduce myself?

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: November 8, 2012 16:39

I like it. But it doesn't deserve slavish overanalysis so I will leave it at that.

Mark
The Rock and Roll Report
www.rockandrollreport.com
"Where Rock and Roll is still an adventure!"

Date: November 8, 2012 16:40

Shantipole
I like it. But it doesn't deserve slavish overanalysis so I will leave it at that.

don't wanna be no slave?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 8, 2012 16:48

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
superrevvy
Gazza
People really think they have another top class album in them? The muse and desire simply aren't there anymore, guys. Face facts.

then why in hell are you pushing for them to tour in 2013?

everybody should tell keith to just pack it in, so mick can go do something
interesting. or at least different. instead of being forced by his "fans" to
beat this dead horse one more time.

I thought the "fans" here did nothing but whining and taking away the bands motivation to ever perform again, no ?

you forgot - we are also trying to ruin everyone's fun, too...

...as well as blatantly ignoring the rules and crapping on the board

...and in doing so, we're acting in the best rebellious tradition that the Stones once stood for...uuuuh, 50 years ago or so. In a way, we're going back to their roots, rebellion, non-conformity, being a pain in the ass of the authorities and the establishment...AND IF WE GET BANNED, IT WOULD BE THE ULTIMATE IRONY!!!

Date: November 8, 2012 16:50

Deltics
Official video now posted.

The song is actually growing on me.

Now, the singalong-part sounds more like Springsteen than AC/DC, LOL! Maybe I should take a rest? winking smiley

Date: November 8, 2012 16:57

alimente
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
superrevvy
Gazza
People really think they have another top class album in them? The muse and desire simply aren't there anymore, guys. Face facts.

I thought the "fans" here did nothing but whining and taking away the bands motivation to ever perform again, no ?

...and in doing so, we're acting in the best rebellious tradition that the Stones once stood for...uuuuh, 50 years ago or so. In a way, we're going back to their roots, rebellion, non-conformity, being a pain in the ass of the authorities and the establishment...AND IF WE GET BANNED, IT WOULD BE THE ULTIMATE IRONY!!!

marsbars for everyone!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: November 8, 2012 16:58

alimente

Post of the year.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2012 17:09

StonesTod
alimente
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
superrevvy
Gazza

marsbars for everyone!

grrr!

Posted by: Giles ()
Date: November 8, 2012 17:15

Mixed emotions....

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: November 8, 2012 17:16

I don't get all these reviews that claim the song sounds like Street Fighting Man combined with Mixed Emotions and Start Me Up...It sounds nothing like those songs.

Date: November 8, 2012 17:17

James Kirk
I don't get all these reviews that claim the song sounds like Street Fighting Man combined with Mixed Emotions and Start Me Up...It sounds nothing like those songs.

how do you like my review?

Date: November 8, 2012 17:19

Is it better than Streets Of Love? Yes. So it ain't terrible.

Is it better than Winning Ugly? Yes. So it ain't horrible.

Is it better than Rock And A Hard Place? Yes. So it ain't awful.

Is it as throwaway as Dance Little Sister? Yes. However, it's not nearly as good as Dance Little Sister.

7 years since they've written anything, well, damn, I certainly didn't expect much. In fact, they've pretty much turned out as I expected: they sound almost exactly like they were recorded for LICKS, which is a rather bland sound (to my ears a beefed up VOODOO sound, which sounded quite flat). I hoped for it to be better than a few things and they are. But none of that really matters. They haven't been relevant for several hundred years now so it's not like that has any credence to it.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 8, 2012 17:21

review the reviews? my head hurts now.

Date: November 8, 2012 17:21

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
They haven't been relevant for several hundred years now

has it really been that long? man, how time flies...feels like just a few dozen years....

Date: November 8, 2012 17:37

James Kirk

The intro is SFM-esque (as well as How I Wish and Take It So Hard) but the song, overall, is Take It So Hard and the chorus is, partially, AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long. It happens to be the in the same key as Mixed Emotions but I don't hear that at all.

Date: November 8, 2012 17:38

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
They haven't been relevant for several hundred years now

has it really been that long? man, how time flies...feels like just a few dozen years....

It may be longer. Dozens and dozens of a few dozen years, easy.

Date: November 8, 2012 17:48

Doxa
But anyway, back to the point: how long The Stones fans are going be thrilled in hearing the recicled ideas again and again? Waiting desperately - many times many years - the next one to come, and then after having some warm moments tasting the pastishe - bringing nostalgic memories of the 'real' Stones sound and of glimpses of great past - for some time, then soon to be forgotten forever, until the next pastishe comes? And in the end they all mean as much as CROSSFIRE HURRICANE or their rehearsed setlists in Paris do show?

I don't want to insult anyone with this remark - because it as much directed to myself as to anyone else - but is there some truth in there?

- Doxa

There is not only just "some" truth in there, that IS the point, exactly.

I'd love to be proven wrong by them in the future, but as it stands now, all things considering the band IS CREATIVELY DONE .

I also don't believe in "secret treasures" laying around somewhere in Keith's vaults just waiting to be released, because, hey, it's time, why wait any longer?

Stuff like this, One More Shot, is clichee Stones to the highest degree. They could come up with stuff like this for the next 10 compilations in the next 50 years if they're still alive, the only thing is that each time the standard we will be even lower.

Hell, One More Shot could not even hold a candle to Don't Stop (not exactly a career highlight either), and it does not even reach the standarts of "Rough Justice" or "Don't Wanna Go Home".

But for me, it does not matter anymore. There is so much great Stones stuff to listen to, and the opening of the vaults, just recently "live UK 1965" is more than enough to keep me satisfied.

But for the current Stones it begs the question that if it seemingly so hard for them to carry on in grace, why carry on at all?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-08 17:50 by alimente.

Date: November 8, 2012 17:52

I've never thought of the word "grace" with The Rolling Stones. Certainly your expectations from these two new songs have been met!

Date: November 8, 2012 17:54

alimente
But for the current Stones it begs the question that if it seemingly so hard for them to carry on in grace, why carry on at all?

hmmm. let me give that $ome thought....

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 17:54

I like both new songs. Doom and Gloom rocks. And One More Shot is clearly a Keith song. And like all Keith songs they are cousins or brothers of one another. OMS is obviously related to SFM, Little T&A, & Mixed Emotions. So what is not to like. Yes, I think we should have gotten more than just 2 new songs and yet another greatest hits package after 7 years. But let's enjoy what we got and the live shows. There really will be a day when we won't have them around anymore and that day is certainly sooner than later!

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: November 8, 2012 17:55

alimente
Doxa
But anyway, back to the point: how long The Stones fans are going be thrilled in hearing the recicled ideas again and again? Waiting desperately - many times many years - the next one to come, and then after having some warm moments tasting the pastishe - bringing nostalgic memories of the 'real' Stones sound and of glimpses of great past - for some time, then soon to be forgotten forever, until the next pastishe comes? And in the end they all mean as much as CROSSFIRE HURRICANE or their rehearsed setlists in Paris do show?

I don't want to insult anyone with this remark - because it as much directed to myself as to anyone else - but is there some truth in there?

- Doxa

There is not only just "some" truth in there, that IS the point, exactly.

I'd love to be proven wrong by them in the future, but as it stands now, all things considering the band IS CREATIVELY DONE .

I also don't believe in "secret treasures" laying around somewhere in Keith's vaults just waiting to be released, because, hey, it's time, why wait any longer?

Stuff like this, One More Shot, is clichee Stones to the highest degree. They could come up with stuff like this for the next 10 compilations in the next 50 years if they're still alive, the only thing is that each time the standard we will be even lower.

Hell, One More Shot could not even hold a candle to Don't Stop (not exactly a career highlight either), and it does not even reach the standarts of "Rough Justice" or "Don't Wanna Go Home".

But for me, it does not matter anymore. There is so much great Stones stuff to listen to, and the opening of the vaults, just recently "live UK 1965" is more than enough to keep me satisfied.

, as they obviously don't even do it for their real fans.

Date: November 8, 2012 17:57

rambler44
There really will be a day when we won't have them around anymore and that day is certainly sooner than later!

which day is that again?

Date: November 8, 2012 18:02

StonesTod
alimente

hmmm. let me give that $ome thought....

OK, take your time, but plea$e keep u$ informed, I'm too curiou$ to hear your conclu$ion...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2658
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home