Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Date: November 8, 2012 18:06

alimente
StonesTod
alimente
But for the current Stones it begs the question that if it seemingly so hard for them to carry on in grace, why carry on at all?

hmmm. let me give that $ome thought....

OK, take your time, but plea$e keep u$ informed, I'm too curiou$ to hear your conclu$ion...

How $illy of you to $ugge$t that the $tone$ only bother to $how up for the money from $elling out $o many $hows with $uch outragou$ ticket price$.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 8, 2012 18:07

alimente
StonesTod
alimente
But for the current Stones it begs the question that if it seemingly so hard for them to carry on in grace, why carry on at all?

OK, take your time, but plea$e keep u$ informed, I'm too curiou$ to hear your conclu$ion...

would you prefer my 1-sentence conclusion, my deluxe 3-paragraph conclusion or my super deluxe fake-signed autograph conclusion?

Date: November 8, 2012 18:16

StonesTod
alimente
StonesTod
alimente

would you prefer my 1-sentence conclusion, my deluxe 3-paragraph conclusion or my super deluxe fake-signed autograph conclusion?

How about the one with the HBT?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 8, 2012 18:21

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
alimente
StonesTod
alimente

How $illy of you to $ugge$t that the $tone$ only bother to $how up for the money from $elling out $o many $hows with $uch outragou$ ticket price$.

Oh, did I?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 8, 2012 18:22

StonesTod
alimente
StonesTod
alimente

No, this has all been done before, so I would prefer you to be inventive.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 18:27

Whenever that day is it will be sad one. My point is let's enjoy the new stuff for what it is; The work of near 70 year old Rock Legends. If you look at it like that I think the new songs are great. And far better than 90% of anything todays rock bands could put out. Too many people on this board are still looking for the Stones to put out the same quality of stuff they put out from 1968-1972. We all know that isn't happening.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 8, 2012 18:49

this song is nothing. just typical stones elöemts but the song itself is missing.

Posted by: JoT839 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 19:05

After listening to the 3 opening chords for the first time, my 4-year old bursts out "Ahh, it's the Rocking Stones"...

That works for me, "passing it on" as Keith would say.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: November 8, 2012 19:40

Easy to see why they released these in the order they did.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 8, 2012 19:47

rambler44
Whenever that day is it will be sad one. My point is let's enjoy the new stuff for what it is; The work of near 70 year old Rock Legends. If you look at it like that I think the new songs are great. And far better than 90% of anything todays rock bands could put out. Too many people on this board are still looking for the Stones to put out the same quality of stuff they put out from 1968-1972. We all know that isn't happening.

For sure, pureley right. In studio and live...

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 8, 2012 19:50

Gazza
audun-eg
Gazza
audun-eg
Honestman
audun-eg
And I would like to hear the whiners here make a better song! smiling bouncing smiley

What's the point with the whiners ?
Some people here (and I'm in) just give their 2cts. It's not because we like a Band that we should say Wow each time they released somethin' new.

I don't think you have to be a songwriter or musician to have an opinion on a song. It's a matter of taste anyway, but still the general mood on this board the last couple of years seems to be that the Stones should have retired at least twenty years ago, and everything they have done since Tattoo You is pure shite.

No harm in not liking these two new songs, but posts like "It's shite" and simillar are just pointless, so how about going a bit deeper in analyzing why one doesn't like it? This gives the threads a little more quality and don't make them seem so "whiney".

I certainly don't WOW these two new songs, but they are new recordings from my favorite band, the first in 7 years. I think that's good even though these songs are far from their most classic work, but I'll still enjoy them for what they are: Fresh new recordings from The Rolling Stones. And they're not bad tunes/recordings either.

Thats generalised nonsense.

I dont think they 'should have retired 20 years ago'. Bridges to Babylon was excellent and I liked Bigger Bang too.

THIS however, whilst its a decent enough song, is substandard as Rolling Stones material. I dont expect them to match Gimme Shelter or Moonlight Mile or anything lofty like that, but by the same token I do think its not unreasonable to expect them to be capable of better efforts than this. Especially after seven bloody years.

If we elevate this band to the levels we have done for the last 40 years, then its pointless throwing around meaningless guff like 'the greatest rock n roll band in the world' if they're putting out a couple of songs every decade or so, and what they are putting out sounds like it could have been thrown together in ten minutes as an afterthought. Some of the lyrics read like they were written by a 12 year old.
Substandard to what Rolling Stones songs? The Rolling Stones catalogue is full of "substandard" songs. Maybe more in modern era, but still. These new songs are far from great as opposed to their most classic and "best" stuff, but I'm still glad they are active again and the new songs are enjoyable though not great.

Matter of opinion. I dont agree, personally. Its maybe a bit unfair to properly evaluate something after a couple of listens (be it positive or negative) but I would certainly put this in the bottom 25%. So, by that yardstick, yes it's a 'substandard Rolling Stones song'. I'm not saying it's horrible, though. Just something of a throwaway.

Difference being that when they've put out ordinary or bad songs in the past, these were usually done at times when they were otherwise quite active, so the occasional turkey is understandable when an artist is being reasonably prolific.

If you go several years without putting out any new material at all, then it's not unreasonable for people to expect that in that time you'll have cobbled together something inspired by the time you decide to finally release something. Hence the overwhelming feeling of 'Is that it?'

I'm glad they're active again too, but I happen to have higher standards from what is supposedly a 'great' band. The Stones didn't get where they are by churning out filler and having a 'f**k it - this'll do' attitude to the records they make. If you're happy enough with that, that's absolutely fine, but expecting a bit of effort from them isn't 'whining' by any stretch of the imagination.
I guess you point out the differences here, namely what we are excpecting. Even though it's seven years since the last new material they surely haven't been writing and creative for seven years for the next Stones record. My expectations thus were not very high. Specially considering Keiths guitarplaying at the end of the last tour and not to mention his latest live performances.

With that in mind, especially One More Shot exceeded my expectations. But again I agree with you in these two numbers beeing far from what I consider their best.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 8, 2012 19:53

yawn

i love DandG (radio mix), it has energy, a lot going on in the mix, a little bit scuzzy, sonically speaking..

but this is just so dull. i just listened to it once, and dont want to dampen my enthusiasm for 2012 Stones recordings by listening to it again.

(slimharpo said it well that it needed way more colour in instrumentation etc)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:01

GravityBoy
I didn't like Plunder My Soul.

I thought it was an outtake for a good reason.

Mostly the fact that the lyrics weren't written until 27 years after the album it was recorded for came out!

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:03

StonesTod
Shantipole
I like it. But it doesn't deserve slavish overanalysis so I will leave it at that.

don't wanna be no slave?

Great now I have THAT song stuck in my head!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:04

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
alimente
StonesTod
alimente

$hut up already!

Date: November 8, 2012 20:06

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I hoped for it to be better than a few things and they are. But none of that really matters. They haven't been relevant for several hundred years now so it's not like that has any credence to it.

Relevant to what? Transient tastes? 99 cent cookie cutter throwaway singles? Nicki Minaj? 17 year olds? 60 year olds?

Mark
The Rock and Roll Report
www.rockandrollreport.com
"Where Rock and Roll is still an adventure!"

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:09

alimente
StonesTod
alimente

Macca carries on with his crap - so why Stones?
At least they don't sing Obladi, Yellow Submarine and other stupidity

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:24

I just pray that I didn't spend a small fortune on tickets plane fare and a hotel room to go to Newark and listen to this garbage!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:27

Good song coming from Keef and Steve Jordan sessions. Maybe played by Winos would have a better impact.
In any case much better than all the shitty songs we hear on the radio...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:30

KRiffhard
Good song coming from Keef and Steve Jordan sessions. Maybe played by Winos would have a better impact.

Who's still listening to the radio for good music?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:34

Justin
KRiffhard

thumbs up

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:38

What an unmitigated pile of shit. Formulaic doesn't even come close to this tripe. Why oh why do they persist in churning out that guitar riff and that drum beat time and time again? THey must have 'wrote' that in about 2 minutes tops. Really embarrassing. It's worse than bad Dad rock. They could have easily done a blues based song or a re-working of a classic blues/country song and really showed they mean business. Doom and Gloom was bearable but this is just rooting around in a 1980's musical garbage bin and splicing together whatever was at the bottom. @#$%& me lads, you are better than this, get a @#$%& grip and go back to your roots. Embarrassing.

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:41

Both great songs IMO, and both so much better than any of the new songs we got 10 years a go on Forty Licks. Gloom 8/10, Shot 7/10. Great riffs, good vocals.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:42

StonesTod
rambler44
There really will be a day when we won't have them around anymore and that day is certainly sooner than later!

which day is that again?

Veteran's Day I think they call it in the US.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:46

crumbling_mice
What an unmitigated pile of shit. Formulaic doesn't even come close to this tripe. Why oh why do they persist in churning out that guitar riff and that drum beat time and time again? THey must have 'wrote' that in about 2 minutes tops. Really embarrassing. It's worse than bad Dad rock. They could have easily done a blues based song or a re-working of a classic blues/country song and really showed they mean business. Doom and Gloom was bearable but this is just rooting around in a 1980's musical garbage bin and splicing together whatever was at the bottom. @#$%& me lads, you are better than this, get a @#$%& grip and go back to your roots. Embarrassing.

worse than bad Dad rock

what is "Dad rock"

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:50

duke richardson
crumbling_mice

worse than bad Dad rock

what is "Dad rock"

Probably his fathers band. They must be pretty damn good.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:51

Been listening to it, and I love it ('cept for the painful nanananana bit)

Can't wait to hear it live, where it'll take on an extra dimension

But what I REALLY wanna hear is the cut with Keef on vocals.

Doom n Gloom was Jaggers, n One More Shot was Keefs, n it sounds like its one of his. I reckon a version must be out there with his vocals.

Bootleggers: Do your thing. I'm willing to part with a kidney to hear it

Maybe I'll ask Don Was he there

ta

\m/

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 20:52

Cool song. Love it. Good lyrics again. Jaggers on fire.

Date: November 8, 2012 21:03

KRiffhard
Justin
KRiffhard

thumbs up

Have a listen to my show Rock and Roll Report Radio on CKUT 90.3 FM in Montreal or online at www.ckut.ca. Second Monday of every month from 10-11 PM EST on the Drastic Plastic Program.

All bands are either unsigned or on smaller indie labels. All in my opinion will rock your socks off. I started it just because I was sick of hearing the same stuff on commercial rock radio. Lots of fun. Have even snuck in a couple of Stones rarities lately in celebration of the 50th (Has Everybody Paid Their Dues?, You Got the Silver sung by Mick, alternative versions of Dead Flowers, Gimme Shelter and Jumping Jack Flash, Andrew's Blues, Claudine, etc....).

Mark

Mark
The Rock and Roll Report
www.rockandrollreport.com
"Where Rock and Roll is still an adventure!"

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: November 8, 2012 21:04

If you are at work and you can't access youtube or rs.com video this link will work:

[www.nme.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1559
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home