Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 17 of 20
Re: ONE MORE SHOT (listen here!)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 10, 2012 16:55

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod
i listened to the entire 3cd set last night...by the time i was done with the last 2 songs i was kinda thinking that maybe streets of love wasn't so bad after all....

You're right. Streets Of Love isn't so bad - it's 100% bad.

at least there's an attempt (a failed on, albeit) at making MUSIC. these new "songs" don't even go there....truly abysmal stuff.

I implore you StonesTod...give them one more shot.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 10, 2012 16:57

treaclefingers
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod
i listened to the entire 3cd set last night...by the time i was done with the last 2 songs i was kinda thinking that maybe streets of love wasn't so bad after all....

at least there's an attempt (a failed one, albeit) at making MUSIC. these new "songs" don't even go there....truly abysmal stuff.

7 minutes of my life i'll never get back. and time is short. no thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-10 16:58 by StonesTod.

Date: November 10, 2012 17:00

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod

at least there's an attempt (a failed one, albeit) at making MUSIC. these new "songs" don't even go there....truly abysmal stuff.

I think the problem is that you're just listening to them while doing nothing else. That is a waste of time. Why not put them on whilst vacuuming?

Date: November 10, 2012 17:02

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod

I think the problem is that you're just listening to them while doing nothing else. That is a waste of time. Why not put them on whilst vacuuming?

cos my vacuum cleaner isn't loud enough

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 10, 2012 17:08

Great to see and read again all those whiners and bashers. Hey guys I'm eager to learn what you smart asses do every day and what you do when you turn into or over 70. The Stones do still rock! as a matter of fact. And you guys?
I'm glad the Stones cut off something. We all will miss them when they are gone. No one gets even close to that voice the guitars and the drums. May they live long enough to give us more songs. And yes I don't expect them to pull out songs they did in the high times but I'll gladly take whatever I will get.

Date: November 10, 2012 17:11

jamesjagger
Great to see and read again all those whiners and bashers.

and it's very nice to see you too! kisses.....

Date: November 10, 2012 17:13

StonesTod
jamesjagger

Mick sent his son to defend the new material?!

Date: November 10, 2012 17:14

jamesjagger
Great to see and read again all those whiners and bashers. Hey guys I'm eager to learn what you smart asses do every day and what you do when you turn into or over 70. The Stones do still rock! as a matter of fact. And you guys?
I'm glad the Stones cut off something. We all will miss them when they are gone. No one gets even close to that voice the guitars and the drums. May they live long enough to give us more songs. And yes I don't expect them to pull out songs they did in the high times but I'll gladly take whatever I will get.

It is interesting to see other places have opinions on the Stones' new songs that aren't on iorr.org.

[www.gigwise.com]

Date: November 10, 2012 17:16

Again, what's with the different mix? And where is it? What is this youtube version - the LP version or the radio mix?

Date: November 10, 2012 17:20

remember when the stones used to record songs that had actual melodies and hooks and riffs and dynamics and even sometimes interesting lyrics and other cool things? yeah, that was awesome....

Date: November 10, 2012 17:22

StonesTod
remember when the stones used to record songs that had actual melodies and hooks and riffs and dynamics and even sometimes interesting lyrics and other cool things? yeah, that was awesome....

You mean...a large portion of their discography? It's a lot. Takes a long time to go through. And then one can't remember.

Date: November 10, 2012 17:24

StonesTod

I remember it like it was yesterday...wait, it was yesterday, that new toon, what's it called?

Date: November 10, 2012 17:31

treaclefingers
StonesTod

I remember it like it was yesterday...wait, it was yesterday, that new toon, what's it called?

yesterday wasn't a total loss. grrr has some cool shit on it....there was this great rocker...brown sugar, i think it was called. and even before that, some very pretty tunes with cool melodies and singing...one was called as tears go by...and, oh...there was a pretty tight disco-esque song...miss you, i think? really awesome...man, what a band....they can do it all!

Date: November 10, 2012 18:24

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

yesterday wasn't a total loss. grrr has some cool shit on it....there was this great rocker...brown sugar, i think it was called. and even before that, some very pretty tunes with cool melodies and singing...one was called as tears go by...and, oh...there was a pretty tight disco-esque song...miss you, i think? really awesome...man, what a band....they can do it all!

You obviously haven't made your way to 1986 quite yet.

Date: November 10, 2012 18:26

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

You obviously haven't made your way to 1986 quite yet.

what year is it now?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 10, 2012 18:38

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Mathijs
Doxa
Great Mick singing. A big surprise how great his voice on Doom and on this. Guys he's 69!

It is, but what bothers me in "Shot" is that he sounds like an outsider, a pro studio singer doing his thing professionally, even 'too good' in a sense. He sounds like not really putting his heart there, but using his great instrument skillfully. I don't know if I am able to express my thoughts clearly, but there is something 'fake-like' in his delivery, or that it doesn't match with the song over-all.

But damn that voice is in a good condition!

- Doxa

He's been singing like that for ages. Listen to Goddess and that dreadful Alfie stuff. He sings very, very professional, trained and produced. But that's also the fashion these days, that very technical singing, that Beyonce and Mariah Carey stuff. Look at these competition shows on TV -even if one has a crap voice he or she sill do 6 octaves with 'false air'.

Mathijs

Yeah, I know what you mean. To me SuperHeavy album is almost unlistenable due to Jagger's over-interpretation. I think Jagger hides the natural weaknesses of his voice there by using more and more Jagger-cliches, which might give a pro-like impression. Nowadays one needs to sing 'good' iin that terrible Mariah Carey/Idols sense to be a graet singer these days. And Jagger - always an eye on the contemporary scene - is to extent a victim of that fashion.

But having that said, if I change my tone here for some praisal. Namely, this accured in my mind reading the 'karaoke-thread of "Doom and Gloom" plus some other reviews of that song. These two new tracks are incredible 'Jagger's singing shows' if anything. Both songs are damn weak in pure musical terms, but it is that Jagger guy who shows his skills as an interpretor by making the weak phrases and lines and musical ideas alive. It is almost like some sort of 'school-example' of Jagger's power as a rock and roll singer. Take all the cliches, manouvres and all, but he really shows how this needs or can be done. Can't really think any singer making such much out of, for example, "Doom & Gloom". He could even go to Idols to show that...

But I understand also why this might leave some people cold - lots of it is to do with training and technics (which never been the forte of The Stones), with the lack of real artistic expression.

Finally, call me a romantic fool, but I think that his delivery has little improved during the last years, at least as far as these typical rockers go (and not perhaps the alawys ovor-interpreted nasal slow songs). I think the EXILE and SOME GIRLS projects might have a little role there in finding some lost nuances in his voice. Like studyng how he once sang. For example, I find some new spark and sharkness in "Doom & Gloom" I see terribly missing in "Rough Justice" or "God Gave Me Everything", both being rather one-dimensional. Perhaps I just want to hear that...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Remember that what you are calling "musically" weak also concerns Satisfaction and other great songs. One-dimensional grooves with a riff.

The Stones have made very few Moonlight Miles or Let It Looses - they never were about intricate, musical composing, merely how what they wrote did sound, imo.

This track has a nice chorus and singalong-theme (like it or not), but the verses are uninteresting to me. Still, there are way more one-dimensional songs (aka musically weak) that are more interesting.

Beautifully coherent Dandelion.

I agree with Dandelion here. I love " Doom And Gloom" and there's nothing wrong with musically simple songs and simple structures, One-dimensional grooves with a riff - what's wrong with that. For example: Every 50's rock n roll song or most of punk rock is a one dimensional and simple. I love it...that guitar riff in Doom And Gloom is classic Stones riff...

The only thing that bothers me at times is Jaggers singin, sometimes he's trying to come out of the speakers - and if you listen to the seventies Stones albums - he sounded much more relaxed and cool, laid back, even more soulfull - but that's Ok. I love "Doom and Gloom" - One More Shot is a mediocre B-side for Doom And Gloom but I dont mind, - glad to see the guys are back.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-10 18:40 by seitan.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 10, 2012 18:51

seitan
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Mathijs
Doxa
Great Mick singing. A big surprise how great his voice on Doom and on this. Guys he's 69!

It is, but what bothers me in "Shot" is that he sounds like an outsider, a pro studio singer doing his thing professionally, even 'too good' in a sense. He sounds like not really putting his heart there, but using his great instrument skillfully. I don't know if I am able to express my thoughts clearly, but there is something 'fake-like' in his delivery, or that it doesn't match with the song over-all.

- Doxa

He's been singing like that for ages. Listen to Goddess and that dreadful Alfie stuff. He sings very, very professional, trained and produced. But that's also the fashion these days, that very technical singing, that Beyonce and Mariah Carey stuff. Look at these competition shows on TV -even if one has a crap voice he or she sill do 6 octaves with 'false air'.

Mathijs

Yeah, I know what you mean. To me SuperHeavy album is almost unlistenable due to Jagger's over-interpretation. I think Jagger hides the natural weaknesses of his voice there by using more and more Jagger-cliches, which might give a pro-like impression. Nowadays one needs to sing 'good' iin that terrible Mariah Carey/Idols sense to be a graet singer these days. And Jagger - always an eye on the contemporary scene - is to extent a victim of that fashion.

But having that said, if I change my tone here for some praisal. Namely, this accured in my mind reading the 'karaoke-thread of "Doom and Gloom" plus some other reviews of that song. These two new tracks are incredible 'Jagger's singing shows' if anything. Both songs are damn weak in pure musical terms, but it is that Jagger guy who shows his skills as an interpretor by making the weak phrases and lines and musical ideas alive. It is almost like some sort of 'school-example' of Jagger's power as a rock and roll singer. Take all the cliches, manouvres and all, but he really shows how this needs or can be done. Can't really think any singer making such much out of, for example, "Doom & Gloom". He could even go to Idols to show that...

But I understand also why this might leave some people cold - lots of it is to do with training and technics (which never been the forte of The Stones), with the lack of real artistic expression.

Finally, call me a romantic fool, but I think that his delivery has little improved during the last years, at least as far as these typical rockers go (and not perhaps the alawys ovor-interpreted nasal slow songs). I think the EXILE and SOME GIRLS projects might have a little role there in finding some lost nuances in his voice. Like studyng how he once sang. For example, I find some new spark and sharkness in "Doom & Gloom" I see terribly missing in "Rough Justice" or "God Gave Me Everything", both being rather one-dimensional. Perhaps I just want to hear that...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Remember that what you are calling "musically" weak also concerns Satisfaction and other great songs. One-dimensional grooves with a riff.

The Stones have made very few Moonlight Miles or Let It Looses - they never were about intricate, musical composing, merely how what they wrote did sound, imo.

This track has a nice chorus and singalong-theme (like it or not), but the verses are uninteresting to me. Still, there are way more one-dimensional songs (aka musically weak) that are more interesting.

I agree with Dandelion here. I love " Doom And Gloom" and there's nothing wrong with musically simple songs and simple structures, One-dimensional grooves with a riff - what's wrong with that. For example: Every 50's rock n roll song or most of punk rock is a one dimensional and simple. I love it...that guitar riff in Doom And Gloom is classic Stones riff...

The only thing that bothers me at times is Jaggers singin, sometimes he's trying to come out of the speakers - and if you listen to the seventies Stones albums - he sounded much more relaxed and cool, laid back, even more soulfull - but that's Ok. I love "Doom and Gloom" - One More Shot is a mediocre B-side for Doom And Gloom but I dont mind, - glad to see the guys are back.

I've a different point of view:'Doom and Gloom' is a mediocre B-side for One More Shot. I'm convinced that if it had been recorded by Keef with the X-Pensive Winos the song would have been much more powerful and a better chorus. Then he would never sang the horrible 'na-na-na-na-na'..

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: November 10, 2012 19:10

It took me five listems to like it, not an immediate response like the first time I heard Pait It Black on am radio.

My 24 year old emailed:

i like it just fine. its kinda plain but i really dig the bridge and the subtle backing vocals, the piano part, and just that it is stripped down and doesnt sound like lenny kravitz. Intro is nice. Song kinda drops into parts nothing is really obvious.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 10, 2012 19:43

The two new songs are fine. I really like One More Shot

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 10, 2012 20:22

I have given it 'One More Shot' every day since it leaked.. It has NOT gotten better.

I'm 29, so I'm the young demographic. Loved Doom & Gloom from the beginning. I am also a music & video producer, so maybe I fall into that recovering hipster category too. Bias explained.

My father, however, is as big a fan as I am except he falls into the "Taylor was the man" camp. He thinks Ladies & Gentlemen is tops, in think Handsome Girls kills everything ever released by any band of any genre.

However, we both agree that One More Shot sucks. The intro starts of promising, then the chorus comes in and stinks up the joint. And that nahnahnahs are the nails in the coffin. Stones gone pop. We love the sound mix, but hate the songwriting.

BUT, atleast we got one great song out of the new ones!! Will look forward to hearing it live though.

BTW, the intro sounds like Randy Whore from the Voodoo Loungue outtakes..

Date: November 10, 2012 22:38

flacnvinyl
I have given it 'One More Shot' every day since it leaked.. It has NOT gotten better.

I'm 29, so I'm the young demographic.

imagine how much you'd loathe it if you were old enough to

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 10, 2012 22:48

I only just listened to it by way of a Stones email, and I love it. I wonder if they'll have more than one version on iTunes?

Date: November 10, 2012 23:29

KRiffhard
seitan
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Mathijs
Doxa

- Doxa

Mathijs

- Doxa

I've a different point of view:'Doom and Gloom' is a mediocre B-side for One More Shot. I'm convinced that if it had been recorded by Keef with the X-Pensive Winos the song would have been much more powerful and a better chorus. Then he would never sang the horrible 'na-na-na-na-na'..

I wish you'd give Doom & Gloom one more shot.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: November 11, 2012 02:21

seitan
there's nothing wrong with musically simple songs and simple structures, One-dimensional grooves with a riff - what's wrong with that

Dandelion mentioned "Satisfaction", but the same goes for JJF. There's no melody to speak of, just attitude, killer riff and badass lyrics. Of course neither of these new tunes measures up to that, I'd be shocked if they did. But to cite lack of melody as a weakness here doesn't work. Lyrically and structurally, this is the third time as far as I can tell that they've tried to rewrite JJF. The second was "You Got Me Rocking". Verses detailing a hellish past, with a powerful chorus (not melodic, though) singing out how great things are now.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: November 11, 2012 02:27

Just love One More Shot. It makes me smile, it makes me dance and move with joy. Doom and Gloom is also a great tune. I'm really thankful they have released these two new song. Both are amazing and I can't stop listening to them.

I find hilarious that some say it's a "stones by numbers"tune while others call it a "ac/dc rip off"...

Date: November 11, 2012 02:39

ManuelStones
I find hilarious that some say it's a "stones by numbers"tune while others call it a "ac/dc rip off"...

we're here to amuse you, manny....

Posted by: Horseswild ()
Date: November 11, 2012 03:45

"One more shot" is certainly a song that improves the louder you play it . With every listen the more I do hear "Take it so hard" as many members have previously suggested.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 11, 2012 09:14

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
DandelionPowderman
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Mick saying "One Last Shot" is a song that Keith wrote mostly. I wrote some extra lyrics for it. It's really good" is hilarious, maybe because it reminds him of Street Fighting Man from Live Licks?

It´s not the opening chords that are important in OMS, LOL!

It´s obvious that the AC/DC-break, used for the chorus is what Keith came up with. The I-IV-riffing is just a vehicle for the verses, like on hundreds of other Stones-tunes.

It´s really too simple, and not much of a song, but it grows on me - dunno why smiling smiley

It's funny how clean Keith's guitar sounds on this tune.

I finally got the Mixed Emotions reference. It's hilairious how this song has so many other songs in it. Although no one has complained about Sad Sad Sad being Brown Sugar in reverse...

Yes, but in the case of Sad Sad Sad there was still some creativity left...being Brown Sugar in reverse...and borrowing from their best tunes is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it's just borrowing and as long as a tune still stands on it's own feet, but with One More Shot, the individual song is simply not there, it's almost entirely constructed.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 11, 2012 09:16

StonesTod
jamesjagger

Cry in your pillow as you used to and wait til tears go by.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 11, 2012 09:27

The one thing I actually love on this track is Charlie. He sounds really great here.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 17 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1380
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home