Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: September 6, 2012 21:38

Wait a second....an enormously popular musical act that has been around for 5 decades contradicted itself?!?

What is this world coming to?

Seriously people.....get a grip. (Or, a Grrrrrrrrip...as the case may be.)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 6, 2012 21:43

GumbootCloggeroo
bestfour, why are you disappointed? We've had SO MUCH given to us from the archives.

>>SO MUCH << ? Even with big letters? Make that "hardly anything". Only the 2nd Brussels 1973 show and the video of Fort Worth 1978 was a treat. Rest has been available in almost the same quality on very wellknown bootlegs for ages. And the bootlegs aren't compressed to death either, so they're often favourable over the vault releases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 21:50 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: September 6, 2012 21:54

Erik_Snow
GumbootCloggeroo
bestfour, why are you disappointed? We've had SO MUCH given to us from the archives.

>>SO MUCH << ? Even with big letters? Make that "hardly anything". Only the 2nd Brussels 1973 show and the video of Fort Worth 1978 was a treat. Rest has been available in almost the same quality on very wellknown bootlegs for ages. And the bootlegs aren't compressed to death either, so they're often favourable over the vault releases.

you forgot LA75 as another treat, as well as SG and EOMS bonus .... GYYO bonus ... but you are right concerning Tokyo90 and Hampton81 ....

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 6, 2012 22:03

muenke
Erik_Snow
GumbootCloggeroo

you forgot LA75 as another treat, as well as SG and EOMS bonus .... GYYO bonus ... but you are right concerning Tokyo90 and Hampton81 ....

Well...after decades of (almost) nothing (ok, Metamorphosis, Rock and Roll Circus) all those releases were a step forward - but all in all: Too little, too late.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 6, 2012 22:03

Well I've bought plenty of records with only 2 good songs total. I'm willing to let my judgement rest until I hear these 2 new numbers. I'm happy they are still trying to make music and I think the GRRR is a double entendre for Mick's frustration in working with a somewhat less inspiring Keith and a methaphor for how HUGE and tough these guys are for still hanging on to a boyhood dream.

It also could be a methphor for how large the monkey that one or more band members have let grown into gorilla proportions, who knows? It is the golden age of prescription meds and judging from Keith's book I wouldn't be surprised if he is on such a regiment, sad as that may be. peace

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 6, 2012 22:07

muenke
Erik_Snow
GumbootCloggeroo

GYYYO bonus, yes that's true.
LA75 is real good, I know. But so is the audience recording of that show. It's the best audience recording ever, of the band

The bonus material on Exile and Some Girls, I left off on purpose. They're not good representations of those days. Most of us favours the boots from those sessions, which are authentic documents, without new affected vocals and lyrics. A couple of nice tunes in-between on the deluxe sets, that's true - but damn.....what a wasted opportunity.

BTW; even though getting 5-6 additional songs on GYYYO deluxe, it still left us wondering; why leave it at that? Other acts put out retrospective box-sets with several full concerts, for the hardcore fan to enjoy. ANyway, I didn't want to start up discussing GYYYO again, but saying that RS has given us ¨(or: made us fork out) "so much" from the vaults just doesn't make sense. Especially not since they haven't been productive in making new music, since ages. One studio album every fifth year.....one expect something more from the archieves to please the fanbase in such times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 22:10 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: September 6, 2012 22:12

Erik_Snow
muenke
Erik_Snow
GumbootCloggeroo

LA75 is real good, I know. But so is the audience recording of that show. It's the best audience recording ever, of the band

The bonus material on Exile and Some Girls, I left off on purpose. They're not good representations of those days. Most of us favours the boots from those sessions, which are authentic documents, without new affected vocals and lyrics. A couple of nice tunes in-between on the deluxe sets, that's true - but damn.....what a wasted opportunity.

BTW; even though getting 5-6 additional songs on GYYYO deluxe, it still left us wondering; why leave it at that? Other acts put out retrospective box-sets with several full concerts, for the hardcore fan to enjoy. ANyway, I didn't want to start up discussing GYYYO again, but saying that RS has given us ¨(or: made us fork out) "so much" from the vaults just doesn't make sense. Especially not since they haven't been productive in making new music, since ages. One studio album every fifth year.....one expect something more from the archieves to please the fanbase in such times.

this is 1.) true, but 2.) I´m damm sure we will get this stuff until, let´s say, 2014

Date: September 6, 2012 22:32

GumbootCloggeroo
slew
Jesus H Christ:
Big Hits: High Tide and Green Grass
Big Hits Volume II Through the Past Darkly
Hot Rocks 1964-1971
More Hot Rocks Big Hits and Fazed Cookies
Made In the Shade
Sucking In the Seventies
Rewind
Jump Back
Forty Licks

That is just the US alone not to mention Rolled Gold, Time Waits For No one etc. I may be missing some as well.

Do we need this??? Will anyone buy it?? This is a joke what disappointing news. What the hell happened to this band???
They signed with Universal, That's what happened. Forty Licks went out of print. That's what happened. The Stones need a new CURRENT compilation on the shelf for their new label because that's how the business is. That's what happened. Also, They're celebrating 50 years therefore they need a career-spanning compilation package on their new label. That's what happened.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, gumboot.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: September 6, 2012 22:39

Erik_Snow
muenke
Erik_Snow
GumbootCloggeroo

damn...now i have to start buying beers for both you and StonesTod...

1000% agreement...

Some thoughts about the creativity and productivity of The Stones: GRRR!
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 6, 2012 11:39

I wrote this to the GRRR! thread but I think it is better to keep that thread in a track, and have a thread of its own to my speculation.

-----

Wittnessing the anger, frustration, disappointment - pretty much directed to a one damn album cover and name as as a spacegoat - which is psychologically understable, but I think mostly based on unrealistic expectations and illusions of the nature of the band for some long time now.

Deep down the issue is over their productivity. Or the lack of it.

But if one has really followed the band for some decades now, as I think many of us have, which is greatly manifested in many fine discussions we have here for many years now, I think we should be ready to accept the stage we are wittnesssing now. If the muse is not there, it is not.

Let's have a look at the history.

My briefly educated guess is that something broke down during EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions and it has never been the same ever since. The band - and the especially Mick/Keith axis - somehow lost that creative, inspiring spark they used to have. The result has been that they really don't enjoy, or feel like being inspired by each other, in making any new music. Maybe the personal relationship had developed to the point that certain chemistry, joy or hunger had left the building. Or it is just that the guys got old, had achieved everything, and had much more in their lives to live for and do than just trying to be a full committed "Rolling Stone" trying to make another masterpiece album or a hit record?

What we have seen since EMOTIONAL RESCUE?

TATTOO YOU - this is Mick finishing the vaults stuff. And doing damn great job.

UNDERCOVER - This is a "band effort" all the cylinders on, but the results are rather mediocre, and going back to EMOTIONAL RESCUE level in quality. Mick and Keith's forced co-operation is mostly trying to finish the old record deal, while negotating a new one, and Jagger's mind alraedy playing with teh solo career option, perhaps giving The Stones (Keith) a last chance if it works or not. It does not. No even intent to tour to promote the album, or anything, which speaks volumes of the band's interest.

DIRTY WORK - Keith's album, and Jagger can't be less bothered. The tour is just Keith's fantasy talk.

STEEL WHEELS - a reunion, and the old bunch together again, at least theoretically. Mick and Keith write together the material, but everything goes under Mick's strict command: do it as quick as possible and according to deadlines. The band spends five weeks in studio, which is laughable compared to the way they get used to when making their artistic masterpieces in the past. The true inspiration is set by Michael Cohl.

A Note: it took 6 years to get the band to studio again!

VOODOO LOUNGE - STEEL WHEELS vol. 2. The band tries its best to imitate the classical Rolling Stones sound, Don Was thinks he is doing EXILE, while Mick and Keith do their best to stand each other. Jagger had emptied his Stones-style pockets in WANDERING SPIRIT, and Keith is the victim of his own riffage, which was pretty much seen already in MAIN OFFENDER. The result is the biggest 'through the motions' album the band has ever done, and Jagger's lyrics hit so bottom, that a serious doubt arises if he is underestimating the intelligence of his listeners. But once again, Cohl sets the inspiration, and off the road they go, with this souvenir.

Note: it took 5 years to get a "band effort" again.

BRIDGES TO BABYLON - this is Mick and Keith's solo albums put together, and - not perhaps surprisingly - it contains the best individual tracks since, say, TATTOO YOU. But a band effort? Hardly - the way Mick and Keith work is to avoid each other, having courts of their own. And it is deep bottom Cohl calling again.

FORTY LICKS - Cohl calls again, but the band refuses even to try to make a new album, but instead releases some half-caked throwaways they quickly put together as a band effort in order to make a new greatest hits compilation a bit more interesting.

A note: it is five years since their last album effort, and 8 years from 'real' band effort, but the muse or motivation seemingly was not 'strong enough' to make a new album.

A BIGGER BANG - Mick and Keith collobarating again - for 11 years that is - in Mick's castle, and they - quicky as they can, of course - provide a dozen or so backing tracks/demos, the others contribute their bit later. A hardly a band effort in the sense The Rolling Stones used to make records together. Jagger thinks that probably they should go to a studio to finish the tracks, but Keith and Don Was think "why bother". The result is a pastishe album of autopilot Rolling Stones music without any highlights - the term 'inspiration' should not even mentioned here, expect in regards to Michael Cohl's promised numbers.

A note: it is now 11 years of the latest real band effort.

2012: The band spends four days in studio in order to provide two tracks to their new greatest hits package to celebrate their 50th Anniversary. Some gigs are promised, and probably some more next year, even though Cohl is not any longer around - but there are some others.

A note: it is 7 years of the last album and it is 18 years since the band tried to make a "real effort" in studio. Tough critics note that it is 31 years from the last truely great Rolling Stones album (which, funnily, wasn't a band effort)

Okay - how does that history looks like?

It is: IF THE MUSE IS NOT THERE, IT IS NOT THERE! You can't force these middle-aged/old age/senior gentlemen to make new music if there is not a will or a ability (for wahtever reason) to do that any longer. Instead of that - trying to create something innovative from their creative minds and from the base of synergia - they have put their forces to touring - which, since the creation of the new concept in 1989, has the advantage that it doesn't need to create anything new: you just do the thing you already know, again and again as long as you can. Probably we are now in stage that even doing that again is questionable. But we will be wiser quite soon.

Last remark: the problem, of course, lies mostly between Mick and Keith: they don't inspire each other - not to think if they even stand each other - any longer. I think it is very telling that Mick makes his best collobaration with Keith for 31 years in a track in where Keith had made his own contribution some 40 yaers earlier ("Plundered My Soul").

Any (more) thoughts?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 15:02 by Doxa.

Re: Some thoughts about the creativity and productivity of The Stones: GRRR!
Date: September 6, 2012 12:01

We get a ton of archive releases, which I have enjoyed very much - WAY more than new albums.

We get two new songs, some shows this year, a possible "tour" next year AND a compilation.

Oh, and we get a 50th anniversay book, an art exhibition with unseen photos AND a documentary film.

I can't see why we need to be frustrated?

Date: September 6, 2012 12:13

DandelionPowderman
We get a ton of archive releases, which I have enjoyed very much - WAY more than new albums.

We get two new songs, some shows this year, a possible "tour" next year AND a compilation.

Oh, and we get a 50th anniversay book, an art exhibition with unseen photos AND a documentary film.

I can't see why we need to be frustrated?

Not me either - I think the last two yaers or so - since the re-release of EXILE - has been the most thrilling years for decades what goes for new, official Stones products. Almost a dream come true. But I think I am in minority here, at least if one reads the collective disappointmet over GRRR! (which was the original inspiration behind my post).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 12:14 by Doxa.

Date: September 6, 2012 12:33

But I a way I can understand the drive for a new stuff - new music, the very thing this band actually is all about - that is not going to be compensated with archive releases, books and documentaries. The ideal to think The Rolling Stones as a still functioning musical unit. But I think if we carefully look at their past history - since EMOTIONAL RESCUE, as I tried roughly above - one can see how hard it is for them to provide that. That's why I wrote my piece in order to a bit open up the context we have here. Call it 'reality-check' or 'therapy' or whatever.

Of course, as a fan I got thrilled in hearing the possibilty to have new Stones music, but their actual history of the last three decades (or so) in providing new material, has learned me to not expect a miracle to happen. The likehood of something memorable to be heard is rather minimal (I won't say anything of the songs until I have heard them, but honsetly, I pretty much have a certain idea what they will be like). I won't be running like a mad man to a nearest record shore like I once did when, say, DIRTY WORK or STEEL WHEELS was released.

Dandie, I know you will disagree with some details in my story (part of it a bit rhetotical, though), but what do you think about the big picture it tries to present?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 12:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 6, 2012 12:58

Doxa
new music, the very thing this band actually is all about

The mistake is to think that this is what they are all about.

Date: September 6, 2012 13:09

We can also to put teh whole thing even to a larger perspective. The true artistic downhill, of course, occured earlier than in EMOTIONAL RESCUE. But that was the time when a functioning band needed to make new albums to survive or remain in the game. The biggest money, and public attention, was still in there. One needed to provide a new album every year or so in order to be in business. Was there muse or not. Or tours in foresight or not (the tours mostly were to promote tha albums - not the other way round)

Edward Twining once pointed out that EMOTIONAL RESCUE is the first album that the band really made just in order to release a new album. The muse or focus or the artistic need to 'say' something was not present. I think that is true, even though they slightly struggled with that problem already in GOATS HEAD SOUP, IT'S ONLY'ROCK'N'ROLL and BLACK & BLUE, SOME GIRLS being an expection, finding the focused artistic drive again. But they were still then so fine-working creative unit, vital, and working hard, seeing each other a lot, that the results were still mostly memorable, even if the focus was a bit lost. In EMOTIONAL RESCUE - their clearly weakest effort by then - the problems were upfront, for everyone clearly to see.

(One could compare this - a new album once a year - to Keith's frustration from the singles days - they needed to have a new smash hit every four months or so, which ended up to some rather not so inspired efforts).

In this sense UNDERCOVER and DIRTY WORK still belonged to that 'albums era': one needed to release a new album in order to 'stay alive', or give an impression of that (and the results were not any better than in EMOTIONAL RESCUE). I think STEEL WHEELS is the first album which is done mainly in order to promote a tour, and not the other way around, and this tendency just got stronger as the tours go by. But in this 'new order' the quality of the records doesn't really matter so much, because their career (and money) is not based on them. They are just formal excuses to do something else (and people buy them in the hype of the forecoming tour, and "it is the Stones, man"). And like the recent history has shown, not even a new record is needed necessarily, even though a big tour without a new album does not 'look' so good. But we still loved seeing them in LICKS TOUR, right?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 13:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 6, 2012 13:12

I'd say a good 90 per cent of Stones fans would settle for a simple, back to basics album of easy blues, country songs, reggae numbers and a few rockers - just doing what they do best without putting all that extra bullsht stadium gloss on it. Surely that is not beyond them.

It is so frustrating to see them still trying to compete for the younger rock market when they should be way beyond having to do that.

They will never generate the kind of sales they saw with Tattoo Year or Steel Wheels - forgive me if any more recent albums sold as well - so why don't they accept that and go for art over money. Surely any tour next year, with its spin off live album and DVDs will earn them enough anyway.

They were on the right track with Stripped - paring it all down to basically acoustics. If they could move that idea on and come up with some simple tunes -perhaps a mix of little known covers and self written songs they could possibly win back the critical - and public - acclaim that has been missing for so long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 14:46 by Silver Dagger.

Date: September 6, 2012 13:22

Silver Dagger
I'd say a good 90 per cent of Stones fans would settle for a simple, back to basics album of easy blues, country songs, reggae numbers and a few rockers - just doing what they do best without putting all that extra bullsht stadium gloss on it. Surely that is not beyond them.

It is so frustrating to see them still trying to compete for the younger rock market when they should be way beyond having to do that.

They will never generate the kind of sales they saw with Tattoo Year or Steel Wheels - forgive me if any more recent albums sold as well - so why don't they accept that and go for art over money. Surely any tour next year, with its spin off live album and DVDs will earn them enought anyway.

They were on the right track with Stripped - paring it all down to basically acoustics. If they could move that idea on and come up with some simple tunes -perhaps a mix of little known covers and self written songs they could possibly win back the critical - and public - acclaim that has been missing for so long.

Something like this?

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: September 6, 2012 13:38

Yesterday I listened to the new records by Ian Hunter, Bob Dylan, ZZ-Top.
All records sound good especially ZZ-Top. Rubin has made them sound so well.
But I don't think those albums are needed anymore. No outstanding songs. An ongoing repetition of what we all know already. If we wouldn't know their names nobody would care. Mark Knopfler even pulled out a double album which is I'm sorry to say an overall dull moment. The Stones are 70 years old guys and yes I also miss a highlight like waht they did in the 60s and eraly 70s. But frankly said I don't expect them to come up with something brilliant. I don't know an artist who has come up with something real remarkable after their career peak time.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 6, 2012 13:58

jamesjagger
But I don't think those albums are needed anymore. No outstanding songs. An ongoing repetition of what we all know already. If we wouldn't know their names nobody would care. Mark Knopfler even pulled out a double album which is I'm sorry to say an overall dull moment. The Stones are 70 years old guys and yes I also miss a highlight like waht they did in the 60s and eraly 70s. But frankly said I don't expect them to come up with something brilliant. I don't know an artist who has come up with something real remarkable after their career peak time.

After Wandering Spirit I hoped Rick would be involved with the Stones. I still do.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: September 6, 2012 14:45

Doxa, I do totally agree with your 'analysis'.

Date: September 6, 2012 14:47

Dreamer
jamesjagger

After Wandering Spirit I hoped Rick would be involved with the Stones. I still do.

Will never happen after the feud with Jagger...

Date: September 6, 2012 14:47

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

They will never generate the kind of sales they saw with Tattoo Year or Steel Wheels - forgive me if any more recent albums sold as well - so why don't they accept that and go for art over money. Surely any tour next year, with its spin off live album and DVDs will earn them enought anyway.

Something like this?

Yes, I loved that and was lucky enough to see them do it live at MSG in 2005. I'm sure they didn't spend too much time writing that one. It's a great example of the 'less is more' philosophy.

Date: September 6, 2012 14:57

His Majesty
Doxa

Of course, you are right here.

- Doxa

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 6, 2012 15:13

I'm still trying to visualise a "spacegoat..." (sorry, Doxa, but it's a lovely typo).

I think a lot of people are angry with GRRR not because of what it is, but because of what it isn't. It isn't the new creative music that many people are still hoping for, even though around 50% of those people seem to have already decided that any new music will suck. Maybe it will suck, but I'd like the chance to hear it and decide for myself.

Date: September 6, 2012 15:17

Green Lady
I'm still trying to visualise a "spacegoat..." (sorry, Doxa, but it's a lovely typo).

I think a lot of people are angry with GRRR not because of what it is, but because of what it isn't. It isn't the new creative music that many people are still hoping for, even though around 50% of those people seem to have already decided that any new music will suck. Maybe it will suck, but I'd like the chance to hear it and decide for myself.

thumbs up Same here, and I'm really looking forward to hearing the new songs as well!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 6, 2012 16:17

its disapointing the band havent made more of an effort in the studio in the last 2 decades but since steel wheels and including they have made around 100 songs if you include the outtakes, cover versions on live albums and the recent 2 songs still to be released.

100 songs in 23 years aint too bad considering the bands age.

thats an average of just over 4 songs per year so with a bit more effort they could have had a new studio album released every 2 to 3 years since 1989.

im just glad the stones are still a functioning band rather than a band that is celebrating 50 years together when they had finished around 2 years ago.

who knows, these upcoming concerts might inspire a mini tour next year and a new studio album.

still loads to look forward too.

they are giving us 2 new songs, 4 new concerts, documentary, dvd,s releases, probably more vaults getting opened, and the knowledge that the stones keep rolling.

how many of us felt back in 1986 or 87 they would have achiveved everything they had right into 2013.

Date: September 6, 2012 16:32

Doxa
His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

Actually, making new music is not what the Stones were all about in the beginning. They set out to be evangelists and spread the word about the generally underground rhythm and blues and blues. They then made some of the best pop music the world has ever scene - for me actually THE best.

It can also be argued that they did not set any new trends with their free foray into psychedelia. For me they started making new music and setting their own agenda with Beggars Banquet but particularly with Let It Bleed which was an incredible blend of blues, r'n'b, country, rock and in You Can't Always Get What You Want a highly original folk/classical/ballad/rocker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 17:21 by Silver Dagger.

Date: September 6, 2012 16:35

Silver Dagger
Doxa
His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

Actually, making new music is not what the Stones were all about in the beginning. They set out to be evangelists and spread the word about the generally underground rhythm and blues and blues. They then made some of the best pop music the world has ever scene - for me actually THE best.

It can also be argued that they also did not set any new trends with their free foray into psychedelia. For me they started making new music and setting their own agenda with Beggars Banquet but particularly with Let It Bleed which was an incredible blend of blues, r'n'b, country, rock and in You Can't Always Get What You Want a highly original folk/classical/ballad/rocker.

That mix of music was already gaining popularity in America at the time.

However, the Stones's english twist to it (especially found on BB and LIcool smiley was untouchable, imo.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 6, 2012 16:36

To be honest, Doxa, I happen to grow more and more depressed after reading what you think.
(making a note to myself not to read any thoughts that Doxa is putting on this forum)

Let's turn up some good music and put our worried minds to rest.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: September 6, 2012 16:45

marcovandereijk
To be honest, Doxa, I happen to grow more and more depressed after reading what you think.
(making a note to myself not to read any thoughts that Doxa is putting on this forum)

Let's turn up some good music and put our worried minds to rest.

thumbs up That's a band having fun on stage. Thanks for posting!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2320
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home