Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: September 7, 2012 08:11

I believe this wasn't very popular in 1972 either..

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 7, 2012 08:17

Thank you. Stones' cover art has had a bad rep. since ... BB at least. The iconography has outlasted the critics, and it will again this time I am certain.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 7, 2012 08:40

Its better than the Rewind cover, that one really sucked.

worst covers...

1. Emotional Rescue
2. Rewind
3. Dirty Work
4. Bridges to Babylon
5. Let It Bleed

Date: September 7, 2012 08:54

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 7, 2012 08:55

DiscoVolante

Maybe not popular, but certainly better...

Date: September 7, 2012 08:57

>Maybe not popular, but certainly better...

But you're saying this 40 years after the fact!

Report back on the GRRR! artwork in 2052.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 7, 2012 09:28

MightyStonesStillRollin50
micawber
HopeYouGuessMyName
I am alway looking forward to new songs. So here is the question. Will Universal (and/ or the Stones) be greedy and NOT allow the two songs to be purchased individually on iTunes or will they be creeps and insist that we buy a 3 cd set to pick up two singles? I am aware that I have the freedom to not purchase anything, but I do want the new songs, because as a fan - I know that I will enjoy them!

What'S your suggestion? Mine is clear. They'll suck big time.

I hear they are "killer". Best Stones since Bridges.

MSSR50, I want to thank you for being such a good sport about all my needling comments regarding your being a Stones Inc. insider/secret agent man--after all, I say such things all in the spirit of good fun. I also want to thank you for complimenting me on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread for having such a "fabulous imagination", which, as a creative poet/musician type, I certainly do. I would also like to let you in on the fact that I possess certain psychic abilities as well, because, also on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread, in my post of September 5, I accurately predicted that you would proclaim the 2 new tracks on GRRR! as "the most brilliant tracks they've recorded since Bulges To Bubble-on", and sure enough, just 38 hours later in your post in this thread on September 6, you did indeed proclaim these 2 new tracks as the "best Stones since Bridges."

So you are indeed an insider--or at least, you know someone who has heard the 2 new tracks before the general public has, because why else would you proclaim songs as "killer" before you've even heard them? That would be putting the cart before the horse. And you're far too shrewd to be putting carts before horses, or counting chickens before they hatch. I like you, MSSR50--the almost unbearably upbeat, unfailingly positive tone of your posts, while appearing to contain a whiff of a certain hidden PR agenda, is most entertaining for sure.

Ah, but that's just my "fabulous imagination" at work again--fabulous, yes, and, as you can see from how my prediction of your "best Stones since Bridges" quote was foretold, also containing a hint of psychic-based truth.... Hey, how do you know I'm not in the room with you right now, unseen?--I could be looking over your shoulder the very moment you are reading this, like an apparition.... BOO! GRRR!

Date: September 7, 2012 10:08

Send It To me

worst covers...

1. Emotional Rescue
2. Rewind
3. Dirty Work
4. Bridges to Babylon
5. Let It Bleed

???

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 7, 2012 10:15

DiscoVolante

The main difference between the Exile image shown here and the GRRR! image is that the Exile image was not the main--and only--representation of the album cover. Exile was also a fascinating collage of band photos that you could look at while listening to the album, whereas the GRRRilla image is devoid of both depth and character, which, apparently from what is posted in this thread, attracts the interest of mainly 10 and 11 year olds.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: September 7, 2012 10:15

stonesnow
micawber
HopeYouGuessMyName
I am alway looking forward to new songs. So here is the question. Will Universal (and/ or the Stones) be greedy and NOT allow the two songs to be purchased individually on iTunes or will they be creeps and insist that we buy a 3 cd set to pick up two singles? I am aware that I have the freedom to not purchase anything, but I do want the new songs, because as a fan - I know that I will enjoy them!

MSSR50, I want to thank you for being such a good sport about all my needling comments regarding your being a Stones Inc. insider/secret agent man--after all, I say such things all in the spirit of good fun. I also want to thank you for complimenting me on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread for having such a "fabulous imagination", which, as a creative poet/musician type, I certainly do. I would also like to let you in on the fact that I possess certain psychic abilities as well, because, also on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread, in my post of September 5, I accurately predicted that you would proclaim the 2 new tracks on GRRR! as "the most brilliant tracks they've recorded since Bulges To Bubble-on", and sure enough, just 38 hours later in your post in this thread on September 6, you did indeed proclaim these 2 new tracks as the "best Stones since Bridges."

So you are indeed an insider--or at least, you know someone who has heard the 2 new tracks before the general public has, because why else would you proclaim songs as "killer" before you've even heard them? That would be putting the cart before the horse. And you're far too shrewd to be putting carts before horses, or counting chickens before they hatch. I like you, MSSR50--the almost unbearably upbeat, unfailingly positive tone of your posts, while appearing to contain a whiff of a certain hidden PR agenda, is most entertaining for sure.

Ah, but that's just my "fabulous imagination" at work again--fabulous, yes, and, as you can see from how my prediction of your "best Stones since Bridges" quote was foretold, also containing a hint of psychic-based truth.... Hey, how do you know I'm not in the room with you right now, unseen?--I could be looking over your shoulder the very moment you are reading this, like an apparition.... BOO! GRRR!

ROTFLMFAO. Post of the year so far. Brilliant.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Re: Some thoughts about the creativity and productivity of The Stones: GRRR!
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 7, 2012 10:21

jamesjagger
Yesterday I listened to the new records by Ian Hunter, Bob Dylan, ZZ-Top.
All records sound good especially ZZ-Top. Rubin has made them sound so well.
But I don't think those albums are needed anymore. No outstanding songs. An ongoing repetition of what we all know already. If we wouldn't know their names nobody would care. Mark Knopfler even pulled out a double album which is I'm sorry to say an overall dull moment. The Stones are 70 years old guys and yes I also miss a highlight like waht they did in the 60s and eraly 70s. But frankly said I don't expect them to come up with something brilliant. I don't know an artist who has come up with something real remarkable after their career peak time.

Excellent observation. It brings back the focus to the simple fact that the Stones have already explored every single point in their musical universe - which is larger than the musical universes of most other artists anyway - not only one, but multiple times.

It's not a matter of creativity or age - they have done it all already, there is nothing left to add.

That said, I experienced that I enjoyed a small little ditty like Little Baby from Stripped tremendously, and most probably more than anything they released since then. Maybe just because it sounds effortlessly, just because it's no big production, just because you hear that they simply enjoy playing it, just because it at least sounds like they are playing together,live in the studio.

At this stage, an album full of "Little Babies" would be enough for me. Whatever they chose to record - honest recordings of them enjoying playing together would do the trick.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 7, 2012 11:32

alimente
jamesjagger
Yesterday I listened to the new records by Ian Hunter, Bob Dylan, ZZ-Top.
All records sound good especially ZZ-Top. Rubin has made them sound so well.
But I don't think those albums are needed anymore. No outstanding songs. An ongoing repetition of what we all know already. If we wouldn't know their names nobody would care. Mark Knopfler even pulled out a double album which is I'm sorry to say an overall dull moment. The Stones are 70 years old guys and yes I also miss a highlight like waht they did in the 60s and eraly 70s. But frankly said I don't expect them to come up with something brilliant. I don't know an artist who has come up with something real remarkable after their career peak time.

Excellent observation. It brings back the focus to the simple fact that the Stones have already explored every single point in their musical universe - which is larger than the musical universes of most other artists anyway - not only one, but multiple times.

It's not a matter of creativity or age - they have done it all already, there is nothing left to add.

That said, I experienced that I enjoyed a small little ditty like Little Baby from Stripped tremendously, and most probably more than anything they released since then. Maybe just because it sounds effortlessly, just because it's no big production, just because you hear that they simply enjoy playing it, just because it at least sounds like they are playing together,live in the studio.

At this stage, an album full of "Little Babies" would be enough for me. Whatever they chose to record - honest recordings of them enjoying playing together would do the trick.

"Little Babies" would be a good title for it, too. I'd buy that.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 7, 2012 11:34

NickB
stonesnow
micawber
HopeYouGuessMyName

ROTFLMFAO. Post of the year so far. Brilliant.

+1!

Posted by: max56 ()
Date: September 7, 2012 11:38

instead of grrr!
english greed

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 7, 2012 11:39

You Got me Rocking is a DREADFUL song

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: September 7, 2012 12:12

jamesjagger
I don't know an artist who has come up with something real remarkable after their career peak time.
I agree with you but Bowie with Heathen did it.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 7, 2012 12:17

aprilfool
jamesjagger
I don't know an artist who has come up with something real remarkable after their career peak time.
I agree with you but Bowie with Heathen did it.

Also Bowie with Outside, IMO.
Not to mention Johnny Cash's last albums and Dylans Time Out Of Mind

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 7, 2012 12:31

DandelionPowderman
Send It To me

worst covers...

1. Emotional Rescue
2. Rewind
3. Dirty Work
4. Bridges to Babylon
5. Let It Bleed

???

seems as if the usually bashed No Security cover now´s regarded as a masterpiece...

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: September 7, 2012 12:34

like most people here i am disappointed about "grrr". im my case, less with the artwork of the cover or even the title "grrr"(in a way its a rather unusual way to celebrate 50 years of band-existence, but didn´t start the stones their career being "unusual"?).

My disappointment has more to do with the "non-existence" of the stones as a working band, with the fact that they didn´t record a new album (and with very slim chances that they will ever do so). As some folks alraedy mentioned, i didn´t expect the stones to deliever a classic album, i would be satisfied and happy with something like the last albums and wouldn´t complain about the quality of the songs....But as Doxa showed so clearly, my expections in fact were unjustified, unrational, considering their creative out-put after 1989 or latest 1997....

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 7, 2012 13:36

Wandering Spirit
my expections in fact were unjustified, unrational,

Let's drink to the unrational people!
If you got no expectations, you won't pass through here again.
Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 7, 2012 14:00

claudine

[www.rollingstones.com]

It's not THAT bad really, but it kinda reminds me of those Decca comps where Decca seemed to be taking the piss outta the band via those covers. grinning smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 7, 2012 14:19

DiscoVolante

I was saying exactly that to a friend yesterday, same vibe, I know the 3 ball mouth was smaller, and only part of something bigger but I thought the point was both are indicative of Mick's penchant for the surreal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-07 14:20 by EddieByword.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: September 7, 2012 15:06

souldoggie wrote:
"Love the cover art, love the title. Love the names of the two new songs, too, I hope they kick ass.
Looking forward to seeing these guys a couple of more times."

I have nothing to add except for thanks to The Stones for everything.

Date: September 7, 2012 15:35

wandering spirit
My disappointment has more to do with the "non-existence" of the stones as a working band ...

Yes, but that's simply the way it is, they are NOT a "working band" anymore, they are just four individuals that did not work on new song material together a lot for quite some decades now and finally reached a stage where even all those mega-tours are over.

They are just four individuals who celebrate their 50th Anniversary in public.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 7, 2012 15:38

Not judging the songs until I hear them. Not sure who among us only viewed the EXILE collage cover as classic after 40 years so saying we can't judge the new one today seems daft.

GRRR (no matter the word's relevance to twenty-somethings who are apparently still the target market for a band hovering around 70 years old and marking their 50th anniversary with a career retrospective) is an idiotic album title and the cover looks like something that would have appeared on the cover of an issue of MAD or CRACKED in the seventies. Put Alfred E. Neuman next to the leering gorilla and you'll see what I mean. For me, the only other album cover I disliked this much was NO SECURITY. I'll toss in PRIMITIVE COOL's "Mick as Gollum" illustration by the otherwise brilliant Francesco Clemente if we include the solo albums by the Glimmer Twins.

Date: September 7, 2012 16:39

Rip This
...a lot of bellyaching over the gorilla...who is genius...the reaction they've gotten already is worth it...30,000+ hits in 2+ days....I'd say its a success.

So the amount of hits is what determines success? Doesn't mean people like it, just means they looked at it.

Date: September 7, 2012 16:54

So this newest hits comp will actually feature 50 'greatest hits' plus two new songs?

Or 48 'classic hits' and two flacid new ones?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 7, 2012 17:07

The GRRR album cover is a shit sandwich. 3rd rate art. Really, was someone drunk when they thought of this? A bad concept badly executed. Any attempt to compare this cover to Exile or any other decent thing they've done is a stretch at best, and I feel sorry for those trying to force themselves to like it, it sounds like a great example of Emperor's New Clothes syndrome. Sometimes a disaster is just a disaster. How low will the bar go, and at what point will people stop making rationalizations for what is clearly a band that has degenerated musically as well as in other ways? Glad we got the SG and Exile reissues, as well as Brussels because we have something very clear and great we can compare this rubbish to.

Date: September 7, 2012 17:10

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
So this newest hits comp will actually feature 50 'greatest hits' plus two new songs?

Or 48 'classic hits' and two flacid new ones?

Yep. The -as yet unofficial- subtitle "Even More Hot Rocks And Fazed Cookies" speaks for itself!

Date: September 7, 2012 17:45

This says it all (I have no idea if this has been posted since there are so many pages and I've been too busy to look at all this shit):

Though the Stones' discography is confusing owing to different US and UK editions of albums, this appears to be their 26th compilation album, and there has only been one new studio album since their 40th anniversary collection, Forty Licks. But what the band lacks in originality they are making up in scale: GRRR! will be available in five different formats, ranging from a triple-CD set with 50 tracks, to a four-CD set comprising 80 songs, postcards, a hardback book, 7in vinyl, and an as-yet unidentified "bonus disc". The anthology will also be for sale on vinyl.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home