Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 6, 2012 23:19

MightyStonesStillRollin50
micawber
HopeYouGuessMyName
I am alway looking forward to new songs. So here is the question. Will Universal (and/ or the Stones) be greedy and NOT allow the two songs to be purchased individually on iTunes or will they be creeps and insist that we buy a 3 cd set to pick up two singles? I am aware that I have the freedom to not purchase anything, but I do want the new songs, because as a fan - I know that I will enjoy them!

What'S your suggestion? Mine is clear. They'll suck big time.

I hear they are "killer". Best Stones since Bridges.

These are the new songs after Bridges...

1 Losing my touch;
2 Stealing my heart
3 Keys to your love;
4 Don't stop;
5 Rough Justice
6 Let Me Down Slow
7 It Won't Take Long
8 Rain Fall Down
9 Streets of Love
10 Back of My Hand
11 She Saw Me Coming
12 Biggest Mistake
13 This Place Is Empty
14 Oh No, Not You Again - 3:46
15 Dangerous Beauty
16 Laugh, I Nearly Died
17 Sweet Neo Con
18 Look What the Cat Dragged in
19 Driving Too Fast
20 Infamy
21 Under the Radar
22 Don't Wanna Go Home

...worse than this is very difficult.

Re: Some thoughts about the creativity and productivity of The Stones: GRRR!
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 6, 2012 23:41

Naturalust

Creativity and production are best served when men are young, full of piss and vinegar and other chemical fuels. What I would like to see now is some maturely crafted songs no matter how long they take to compose and record properly. It's easier to produce alot of music when you are constantly jamming and sleeping takes a back seat. Those days are over for the Stones, now they have other skills built up and what I hope they do with them is craft superb new tunes individually or together, songs that hit me in the gut and make me say, yep those boys are in a league of their own, which of course they still are. peace

They've had many, many chances to, and sh@t the bed every time.
They aren't capable of creating decent new music anymore.

Many, many other mature artists are, and currently do. The Stones are not among them. They're not a band. They're a brand. Like Esso, Burger King, and Walmart.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 23:42 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 6, 2012 23:47

C'mon James, the fat lady hasn't sung yet on the Stones output. How many good songs you written this summer? From your attitude I'm guessing more than two. A brand yes of course they are. A rockin' band still? , let's wait and see, Bill Wyman could make the difference here....just sayin.. . peace

Date: September 6, 2012 23:53

KRiffhard
micawber
HopeYouGuessMyName
I am alway looking forward to new songs. So here is the question. Will Universal (and/ or the Stones) be greedy and NOT allow the two songs to be purchased individually on iTunes or will they be creeps and insist that we buy a 3 cd set to pick up two singles? I am aware that I have the freedom to not purchase anything, but I do want the new songs, because as a fan - I know that I will enjoy them!

What'S your suggestion? Mine is clear. They'll suck big time.

I hear they are "killer". Best Stones since Bridges.

These are the new songs after Bridges...

1 Losing my touch;
2 Stealing my heart
3 Keys to your love;
4 Don't stop;
5 Rough Justice
6 Let Me Down Slow
7 It Won't Take Long
8 Rain Fall Down
9 Streets of Love
10 Back of My Hand
11 She Saw Me Coming
12 Biggest Mistake
13 This Place Is Empty
14 Oh No, Not You Again - 3:46
15 Dangerous Beauty
16 Laugh, I Nearly Died
17 Sweet Neo Con
18 Look What the Cat Dragged in
19 Driving Too Fast
20 Infamy
21 Under the Radar
22 Don't Wanna Go Home

...worse than this is very difficult.

+ Hurricane and Watching The River Flow

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 6, 2012 23:56

Oh no, my thread is put to this massive one... It wasn't really about GRRR! (even though I mistakenly put that name on the title) but more generally about their creativity/productivity. Thank you very much to you all of your replys and comments, but I am afraid it is impossible to continue the discussion here.

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 7, 2012 00:00

Doxa
Oh no, my thread is put to this massive one... It wasn't really about GRRR! (even though I mistakenly put that name on the title) but more generally about their creativity/productivity. Thank you very much to you all of your replys and comments, but I am afraid it is impossible to continue the discussion here.

- Doxa

It was one of the best threads for ages.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 7, 2012 00:08

Doxa

- Doxa

Just start a new one. Call it "Rolling Stones and creativity".

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 7, 2012 00:19

stumbled upon this on ebay

open-g
claudine

[www.rollingstones.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-07 00:26 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 7, 2012 00:31

marcovandereijk
To be honest, Doxa, I happen to grow more and more depressed after reading what you think.
(making a note to myself not to read any thoughts that Doxa is putting on this forum)

Let's turn up some good music and put our worried minds to rest.

Really? I love his posts and hes right again of course. I think Mick went solo durin ER. TY had to be released as a last album followed by one last tour and then Mick was to go solo. Hoever the tour wasnt good enough so one last album, Undercover and then solo. 1989- is pure busniess. They have nothing to do with eachother, Mick left Keith 35 years ago and SW was just a PR producion no more no less. This probably hurts Keith.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 7, 2012 00:39

carlostones10
Doxa just forgot the Stones had 650 concerts betwen 1989 and 2007.

A guy wrote something similar in my blog. and I had to proove the Stones had 2, 3 or 4 years without any work. The guys had work like band in something like 46 years.

and the guys say the Stones didnĀ“t work. :-)

the Stones wrote songs, rehrsal, play live, they produce albuns ... dvds, docs, books.. they need to do all that crap for tours (stage, merchandising, etc).

Sorry... but is impressive how these guys worked in the last 50 years. really impressive.

I dont know what your point is. Yes they have presented basically the same act over and over again since 1989 with various results.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 7, 2012 00:49

I didn't know Vampire Gorillas existed.

Date: September 7, 2012 01:07

GumbootCloggeroo
I love how people are superanalyzing GRRR when all it is really is a current compilation package for the new label that they are now on because Forty Licks went out of print and they have nothing current in stores. Plus, it's their 50th anniversary and they need a career-spanning product. That's it, folks.

Thanks for telling the plain and simple truth. Nothing more, nothing less.

Date: September 7, 2012 02:01

Doxa
I wrote this to the GRRR! thread but I think it is better to keep that thread in a track, and have a thread of its own to my speculation.

-----

Wittnessing the anger, frustration, disappointment - pretty much directed to a one damn album cover and name as as a spacegoat - which is psychologically understable, but I think mostly based on unrealistic expectations and illusions of the nature of the band for some long time now.

Deep down the issue is over their productivity. Or the lack of it.

But if one has really followed the band for some decades now, as I think many of us have, which is greatly manifested in many fine discussions we have here for many years now, I think we should be ready to accept the stage we are wittnesssing now. If the muse is not there, it is not.

Let's have a look at the history.

My briefly educated guess is that something broke down during EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions and it has never been the same ever since. The band - and the especially Mick/Keith axis - somehow lost that creative, inspiring spark they used to have. The result has been that they really don't enjoy, or feel like being inspired by each other, in making any new music. Maybe the personal relationship had developed to the point that certain chemistry, joy or hunger had left the building. Or it is just that the guys got old, had achieved everything, and had much more in their lives to live for and do than just trying to be a full committed "Rolling Stone" trying to make another masterpiece album or a hit record?

What we have seen since EMOTIONAL RESCUE?

TATTOO YOU - this is Mick finishing the vaults stuff. And doing damn great job.

UNDERCOVER - This is a "band effort" all the cylinders on, but the results are rather mediocre, and going back to EMOTIONAL RESCUE level in quality. Mick and Keith's forced co-operation is mostly trying to finish the old record deal, while negotating a new one, and Jagger's mind alraedy playing with teh solo career option, perhaps giving The Stones (Keith) a last chance if it works or not. It does not. No even intent to tour to promote the album, or anything, which speaks volumes of the band's interest.

DIRTY WORK - Keith's album, and Jagger can't be less bothered. The tour is just Keith's fantasy talk.

STEEL WHEELS - a reunion, and the old bunch together again, at least theoretically. Mick and Keith write together the material, but everything goes under Mick's strict command: do it as quick as possible and according to deadlines. The band spends five weeks in studio, which is laughable compared to the way they get used to when making their artistic masterpieces in the past. The true inspiration is set by Michael Cohl.

A Note: it took 6 years to get the band to studio again!

VOODOO LOUNGE - STEEL WHEELS vol. 2. The band tries its best to imitate the classical Rolling Stones sound, Don Was thinks he is doing EXILE, while Mick and Keith do their best to stand each other. Jagger had emptied his Stones-style pockets in WANDERING SPIRIT, and Keith is the victim of his own riffage, which was pretty much seen already in MAIN OFFENDER. The result is the biggest 'through the motions' album the band has ever done, and Jagger's lyrics hit so bottom, that a serious doubt arises if he is underestimating the intelligence of his listeners. But once again, Cohl sets the inspiration, and off the road they go, with this souvenir.

Note: it took 5 years to get a "band effort" again.

BRIDGES TO BABYLON - this is Mick and Keith's solo albums put together, and - not perhaps surprisingly - it contains the best individual tracks since, say, TATTOO YOU. But a band effort? Hardly - the way Mick and Keith work is to avoid each other, having courts of their own. And it is deep bottom Cohl calling again.

FORTY LICKS - Cohl calls again, but the band refuses even to try to make a new album, but instead releases some half-caked throwaways they quickly put together as a band effort in order to make a new greatest hits compilation a bit more interesting.

A note: it is five years since their last album effort, and 8 years from 'real' band effort, but the muse or motivation seemingly was not 'strong enough' to make a new album.

A BIGGER BANG - Mick and Keith collobarating again - for 11 years that is - in Mick's castle, and they - quicky as they can, of course - provide a dozen or so backing tracks/demos, the others contribute their bit later. A hardly a band effort in the sense The Rolling Stones used to make records together. Jagger thinks that probably they should go to a studio to finish the tracks, but Keith and Don Was think "why bother". The result is a pastishe album of autopilot Rolling Stones music without any highlights - the term 'inspiration' should not even mentioned here, expect in regards to Michael Cohl's promised numbers.

A note: it is now 11 years of the latest real band effort.

2012: The band spends four days in studio in order to provide two tracks to their new greatest hits package to celebrate their 50th Anniversary. Some gigs are promised, and probably some more next year, even though Cohl is not any longer around - but there are some others.

A note: it is 7 years of the last album and it is 18 years since the band tried to make a "real effort" in studio. Tough critics note that it is 31 years from the last truely great Rolling Stones album (which, funnily, wasn't a band effort)

Okay - how does that history looks like?

It is: IF THE MUSE IS NOT THERE, IT IS NOT THERE! You can't force these middle-aged/old age/senior gentlemen to make new music if there is not a will or a ability (for wahtever reason) to do that any longer. Instead of that - trying to create something innovative from their creative minds and from the base of synergia - they have put their forces to touring - which, since the creation of the new concept in 1989, has the advantage that it doesn't need to create anything new: you just do the thing you already know, again and again as long as you can. Probably we are now in stage that even doing that again is questionable. But we will be wiser quite soon.

Last remark: the problem, of course, lies mostly between Mick and Keith: they don't inspire each other - not to think if they even stand each other - any longer. I think it is very telling that Mick makes his best collobaration with Keith for 31 years in a track in where Keith had made his own contribution some 40 yaers earlier ("Plundered My Soul").

Any (more) thoughts?

- Doxa

Well, the old chemistry is back. The two new songs are just the tip of the iceberg. There is nothing we can do about the past. It's all water under the bridge. Right now is what matters and Mick and Keith are united in purpose once again. You are going to see a great album next year. And hopefully a few after that.

Date: September 7, 2012 02:13

Naturalust
It is impossible to truly compare an artists later works with their earlier works mainly because the older ones were released when music seemed more important to us fans. We are so quick to judge these days and back then it seemed we listened many times and let the music slip into our consciousness with repetition and time.

Just the Stone's radio play I unintentionally heard back when was more than I have ever listened to Babylon, for instance.

Creativity and production are best served when men are young, full of piss and vinegar and other chemical fuels. What I would like to see now is some maturely crafted songs no matter how long they take to compose and record properly. It's easier to produce alot of music when you are constantly jamming and sleeping takes a back seat. Those days are over for the Stones, now they have other skills built up and what I hope they do with them is craft superb new tunes individually or together, songs that hit me in the gut and make me say, yep those boys are in a league of their own, which of course they still are. peace

Some excellent points here. If some of the later Stones albums had been recorded in the sixties and seventies most all of them would have been considered classics.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 7, 2012 02:30

Chris Fountain
I didn't know Vampire Gorillas existed.

There is so much left to learn about stuff and things!

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: September 7, 2012 02:42

So, let's refine our thinking, shall we?

1) As I said earlier, 50 songs on 3 CDs versus 80 songs on 4 CDs makes no sense.
I propose that the language on the press release was intentionally garbled, and
that it will actually be 80 songs on 5 CDs.

2) So you'll be getting two ExileSomeGirls-style bonus CDs of gussied-up
unreleased material. And it will be the best of what they've got. Career-
spanning. Not slapdash at all. Not throwaways. The fruit of years of labor,
especially on the part of Don Was and Mick Jagger. I'm especially looking
forward to "Scarlet" featuring Mick Taylor.

3) I expect this release will take much of the sting out of the cancellation/
postponent/disavowal of the Brooklyn and London dates, as show speculation
shifts once again to 2013.

4) I'd be shocked if the "hardback book" included with the deluxe edition is
anything other than their already released "50".

5) I mentioned earlier the WAR symbolism of the 800 pound gorilla cover.
So we should not ignore that the title of the documentary "Crossfire
Hurricane" is also a metaphor for war.

6) Dave Stewart announces that SuperHeavy is an ongoing project with Mick
Jagger still very much involved, and this elicits not one comment from
the assembled IORRaquis. I swear you people are on a different planet sometimes.

7) Jah! Rastafari! Yes I, the beast is about to rip the rifle from the hands
of the great white hunter and blow him away!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 7, 2012 02:59

If I see any more gorilla pictures posted I will go banannas.

Date: September 7, 2012 03:10

Justin

It had to be said, so I forgive you.
But at least spell Bananas right!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2012 03:13

superrevvy

1) As I said earlier, 50 songs on 3 CDs versus 80 songs on 4 CDs makes no sense.
I propose that the language on the press release was intentionally garbled, and
that it will actually be 80 songs on 5 CDs.

3) I expect this release will take much of the sting out of the cancellation/
postponent/disavowal of the Brooklyn and London dates, as show speculation
shifts once again to 2013.

4) I'd be shocked if the "hardback book" included with the deluxe edition is
anything other than their already released "50".

5) I mentioned earlier the WAR symbolism of the 800 pound gorilla cover.
So we should not ignore that the title of the documentary "Crossfire
Hurricane" is also a metaphor for war.

the assembled IORRaquis. I swear you people are on a different planet sometimes.

7) Jah! Rastafari! Yes I, the beast is about to rip the rifle from the hands
of the great white hunter and blow him away!

I'm very on board with that.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 7, 2012 03:13

superrevvy

I have to admit revvy, I like the way you think. Makes perfect sense to me. I and I.

Thankfully Mr. Was is a fan above all else and hopefully knows what the fans want. And may he be more successful than when he tried in vain to make a Stone's record that held up to Exile in taste and spirit. peace

Date: September 7, 2012 03:16

jamesfdouglas
Naturalust

Many, many other mature artists are, and currently do. The Stones are not among them. They're not a band. They're a brand. Like Esso, Burger King, and Walmart.

I suggest you wait until you have heard the two new songs and the eight to twelve new songs on the new album to be released next year before you conclude they can't write decent new music anymore. Is that fair?

Date: September 7, 2012 03:17

jamesfdouglas
Naturalust

I suggest you wait until you have heard the two new songs and the eight to twelve new songs on the new album to be released next year before you conclude they can't write decent new music anymore. Is that fair?

Its your baby....you rock it

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 7, 2012 03:19

superrevvy

Scarlet? What koolaid did a drink and what did I miss? If its two bonus disks of awesome new stuff, wouldn't they mention that? Instead the press release only highlights the 'hits' and two new songs.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 7, 2012 03:34

...a lot of bellyaching over the gorilla...who is genius...the reaction they've gotten already is worth it...30,000+ hits in 2+ days....I'd say its a success.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 7, 2012 04:01

Rip This
...a lot of bellyaching over the gorilla...who is genius...the reaction they've gotten already is worth it...30,000+ hits in 2+ days....I'd say its a success.
Let's face it, The Stones could have put anything on the cover and it would have had as many hits. Genius has nothing to do with it.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 7, 2012 04:04

Justin

THAT cheered me right up, here you go Justin. smileys with beer

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 7, 2012 04:50

superrevvy

We're on Planet Earth, where no one gives a rat's ass about StupidHeavy.

And what makes you think they are releasing a disc of unreleased material? If they were going to do that, wouldn't they announce that the album inludes unreleased material?

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: September 7, 2012 06:34

big4
In the end Mick won. And it's possible that in the end, the Stones and their fans are lesser because of it.

Seems true, but if Mick hadn't won, we probably wouldn't have had any post DW Stones. A confusing but fair trade.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: September 7, 2012 07:16

jamesfdouglas
Many, many other mature artists are, and currently do.

Of course they do. But it's not a fair comparison. An artist is an idividual and can do what he/she wants artistically. The Stones are four guys. While only two have real creative input, getting them together is the biggest obstacle. Macca or Dylan (sorry to use them in the same sentence) just have to say, "Sessions tomorrow, make sure so and so is there. Engage". Stones don't have that luxury.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 7, 2012 07:24

Don't forget that some stuff from the Some Girls and Exile re-issues were essentially new songs. Songs like Plundered my Soul and Following the River may have their genesis many years ago, but let's face it they are a lot closer to being new Stones songs than some long lost gems.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2249
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home