Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2012 17:50

Palace Revolution 2000
Oh man - that is the one thing the Stones have never lost: the Blues.

How much of it did they play on their last tour?

the average 21st century Stones audience wouldnt know blues music if it bit them up the ass.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: September 6, 2012 17:58

"don't get what the diehard fans crave.."

This ain't for them pal...

How weird and nonsensical......An ape w/fangs?

I think the GRRR! is out of frustration that they can't come up with any worthwhile product...

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 6, 2012 18:02

Max'sKansasCity

Yeah... Ian Hunter's smash new hit album??... following up his other recent fabulous work?... yeah I missed all of that.

Your loss. He has made four excellent albums in the last 11 years. I wish the Stones had done the same.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 6, 2012 18:11

Braincapers
Max'sKansasCity

Yeah... Ian Hunter's smash new hit album??... following up his other recent fabulous work?... yeah I missed all of that.

Your loss. He has made four excellent albums in the last 11 years. I wish the Stones had done the same.

Me too, but putting together compilations is tough work...no time this time

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 6, 2012 18:12

Braincapers
Max'sKansasCity

Feel free to start an Ian Hunter thread and educate us.

Date: September 6, 2012 18:28

micawber
HopeYouGuessMyName
I am alway looking forward to new songs. So here is the question. Will Universal (and/ or the Stones) be greedy and NOT allow the two songs to be purchased individually on iTunes or will they be creeps and insist that we buy a 3 cd set to pick up two singles? I am aware that I have the freedom to not purchase anything, but I do want the new songs, because as a fan - I know that I will enjoy them!

What'S your suggestion? Mine is clear. They'll suck big time.

I hear they are "killer". Best Stones since Bridges.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: September 6, 2012 18:38

Max'sKansasCity
Braincapers
Max'sKansasCity

it's not about starting an Ian Hunter thread...it's about people on here saying 'geez guys...they are 70...what do you expect?'...and there are tons of examples of artists older than them that still deliver...

the point is...people older than they are...ie: IAN HUNTER....still care enough to make music and to tour and show a SHREAD of credibility and respect for their fans...

Ian Hunter was discovered by the great Guy Stevens...the man who met Chuck Berry at the prison gate...the man who introduced tons of music to the 60's kids in the UK via his Sue Records label and the man the Rolling Stones stole the title "Sticky Fingers" from...

Ian Hunter is a man to be respected...so you should educate yourself...instead of kissing Mick and Keith's (lazy) asses...

and I LOVE the Rolling Stones...but geez...this is lame...no matter how you look at it...

and if these 2 new songs are the 'best Stones since Bridges'....let me quote the great ...great Benny Hill....BIG DEAL...

Date: September 6, 2012 18:43

Green Lady
As often happens, after the initial WTF??? reaction, I'm starting to see the point of the GRRRilla. He sure stands out in a crowd, kids seem to like him, he's got the old lascivious Stones twinkle in his eye, he'll make a great T-shirt, for those who dare to wear one.

I've been wondering what our reaction would be if the Stones were to introduce the Tongue logo now, in 2012. Wouldn't we all hate it? If EVER anything was over-the-top vulgar, that was, but my goodness, it works. We've got so used to it that we've forgotten how shocking it used to be.

Maybe we have all turned into our parents - who hated the rude, ugly Stones.

Excellent comments, Green Lady. There will be no missing him on the CD rack. And then there is the obvious subliminal message: The Stones are the King Kong of Rock 'N Roll. Pure marketing genius. The T-Shirts are going to sell like hotcakes.

Date: September 6, 2012 18:44

Date: September 6, 2012 18:48

MightyStonesStillRollin50
Green Lady
As often happens, after the initial WTF??? reaction, I'm starting to see the point of the GRRRilla. He sure stands out in a crowd, kids seem to like him, he's got the old lascivious Stones twinkle in his eye, he'll make a great T-shirt, for those who dare to wear one.

I've been wondering what our reaction would be if the Stones were to introduce the Tongue logo now, in 2012. Wouldn't we all hate it? If EVER anything was over-the-top vulgar, that was, but my goodness, it works. We've got so used to it that we've forgotten how shocking it used to be.

Maybe we have all turned into our parents - who hated the rude, ugly Stones.

Excellent comments, Green Lady. There will be no missing him on the CD rack. And then there is the obvious subliminal message: The Stones are the King Kong of Rock 'N Roll. Pure marketing genius. The T-Shirts are going to sell like hotcakes.

I think the Beatles marketing people have been upstaged! Try and top King Kong!

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 6, 2012 18:51

but atleast those who wanna pay 99 Euros will get a bonus disc! Hopefully with rare content!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 18:52 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: September 6, 2012 18:58

cowboytoast
Max'sKansasCity
Braincapers
Max'sKansasCity

it's not about starting an Ian Hunter thread...it's about people on here saying 'geez guys...they are 70...what do you expect?'...and there are tons of examples of artists older than them that still deliver...

the point is...people older than they are...ie: IAN HUNTER....still care enough to make music and to tour and show a SHREAD of credibility and respect for their fans...

Ian Hunter was discovered by the great Guy Stevens...the man who met Chuck Berry at the prison gate...the man who introduced tons of music to the 60's kids in the UK via his Sue Records label and the man the Rolling Stones stole the title "Sticky Fingers" from...

Ian Hunter is a man to be respected...so you should educate yourself...instead of kissing Mick and Keith's (lazy) asses...

and I LOVE the Rolling Stones...but geez...this is lame...no matter how you look at it...

and if these 2 new songs are the 'best Stones since Bridges'....let me quote the great ...great Benny Hill....BIG DEAL...

If Bridges had been released sometime between 1968 and 1973 we would have a Big 5 instead of a so called Big 4. Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, and Thief are three of the greatest Stones songs ever in my opinion.

Date: September 6, 2012 19:02

Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000
Oh man - that is the one thing the Stones have never lost: the Blues.

How much of it did they play on their last tour?

the average 21st century Stones audience wouldnt know blues music if it bit them up the ass.

If the Stones decided to go "all country" today they would soar right to the top of the charts. Something for them to consider if they decide to keep rolling for another five to ten years.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 6, 2012 19:04

Erik_Snow
cowboytoast
CousinC
Really can't believe some of the comments I'm reading here. Are here adults posting? Some act like spoilt, disappointed children.
Really what did you expect from a group of 70 year old men?

It should be clear that there has to be a new compilation this year for the people.
I mean the hard-cores get/got some nice stuff as well.
And the cover/title is not so bad - in the style of Made in the Shade,etc.
So really . .

i am honestly perplexed as to the people on here who are defending their laziness and apathy...

if you guys want to be fools and line their pockets for retread crap then that's your problem...you are probably diehard compilation fans anyway...

but for the most part...the people on here complaining are the ones who are on here all the time through the years when NOTHING is going on and who are loyal to these lazy bastards through thick and thin...even when that drunk fell out of the tree...

granted...they don't owe anyone anything...but on the other hand they shouldn't act like they are going to deliver something of relevance and then do not...or can't get it hard...tiny todger or not...

yeah great they put out archive releases... BUT we all had that stuff...albiet it in not as good quality...but chances are they probably got a lick off of the old boots we bought anyway...so it's just more money...

AGE IS NOT A FACTOR IN THIS....

there are tons of guys and bands from their generation that still play on a regular basis and make LP's and everything...hell like i said earlier...Ian Hunter put out a new LP yesterday...he is 73...and all he talks about is still trying to be relevant and not going out and going through the motions...because it still means something to him

this is plain and simple apathy...and being lazy...and riding the wave...and not caring about their fanbase...

Completely agree with everything, Cowboy

Well, I went with the Stones through all their eras.The good, creative ones and the not so good times.
Everybody who's reading here more often should know that I'm rather critical about many things reg. them, esp. in later times. But in fact you could always criticize them. Even in the better years.They are that kind of band and they always polarized.

But what really surprises me - why now all that critic, frustration and hate?
All these things are not new. It's rather ridiculous to come up with all that hostility only now!

They released some very nice things over the last years and will do some live gigs.
And thats absolutely okay with me at this part of the game.
A new compilation just had to come.The Hard-cores don't have to buy it. Wheres the problem?

Plus - you can't compare the Stones with most of other older acts.Some still have to work hard because they just need the money. Others like Dylan have the chance to work with great players as they are not in a bandframe.

But in the first place: the Stones have never been great musicans/ virtuoses and that shows - and they haven't been that creative or relevant for quite some time already.
Too much money for too long time and not enough musicianship.
But where's the big news now?
All that has been known for ages.
They do what realistic people can still expect from them and not much more . .

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 6, 2012 19:06

cowboytoast
Max'sKansasCity
Braincapers
Max'sKansasCity

If Bridges had been released sometime between 1968 and 1973 we would have a Big 5 instead of a so called Big 4. Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, and Thief are three of the greatest Stones songs ever in my opinion.

In the new York post newspaper at the time of No Security the music critic Dan Aquilante acknowledged the greatness of Saint of Me and Out of Control as 'keepers' as opposed to You Got Me Rockin as a 'generic' (which is true but it works well live, uh, with drunks, perhaps). So I think you are onto something with The Big 5 idea. Bridges is a solid disc. I am not sure if he mentioned Thief or not but I love that track.

Likewise, I think that if ABB had been the debut cd of a 20 something band it would have garnered rave reviews. Yet because it was another release from some dinosaurs? It was ho-hum.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 6, 2012 19:12

After 40 Licks and the four new tracks we got A Bigger Bang. I hope we get a new album next year.
I know the general animosity against ABB here, but I think the best tracks by far surpased the contemporary work by other acts from their generation: Dylan, McCartney, Neil Young, Cohen, Reed (none of these have matched their best tracks from the 60's or 70's either). Yes it's uneven, but was surprisingly good. And still is IMO.

What I wish for with GRRRR! is that they will select not only the singles, but the stand out album tracks too - like on Hot Rocks (which included Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler) and Made in the Shade. Tracks like Stray Cat Blues should be made known to the general public and potential fans.
The GRRR!-art work looks good.
I am curious about the difference between the 50 and the 80 list.

Date: September 6, 2012 19:31

deadegad
cowboytoast
Max'sKansasCity
Braincapers
Max'sKansasCity

In the new York post newspaper at the time of No Security the music critic Dan Aquilante acknowledged the greatness of Saint of Me and Out of Control as 'keepers' as opposed to You Got Me Rockin as a 'generic' (which is true but it works well live, uh, with drunks, perhaps). So I think you are onto something with The Big 5 idea. Bridges is a solid disc. I am not sure if he mentioned Thief or not but I love that track.

Likewise, I think that if ABB had been the debut cd of a 20 something band it would have garnered rave reviews. Yet because it was another release from some dinosaurs? It was ho-hum.

I honestly and sincerely don't think the Stones have ever produced a bad album. I love Dirty Work and ABB has grown on me some although I think it is my least favorite of all their albums. Satanic is one of my all time favorites if you can believe that.

I am certain that if most of their albums had been released in the late sixties and early seventies we would have a Big 8 or Big 10 today instead of the so called Big 4.

Posted by: thePenguin ()
Date: September 6, 2012 19:37

coulda been worse. i hear this was the first choice...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 19:39 by thePenguin.

Date: September 6, 2012 19:38

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/quote]

Well, I went with the Stones through all their eras.The good, creative ones and the not so good times.
Everybody who's reading here more often should know that I'm rather critical about many things reg. them, esp. in later times. But in fact you could always criticize them. Even in the better years.They are that kind of band and they always polarized.

All these things are not new. It's rather ridiculous to come up with all that hostility only now!

They released some very nice things over the last years and will do some live gigs.
A new compilation just had to come.The Hard-cores don't have to buy it. Wheres the problem?

Plus - you can't compare the Stones with most of other older acts.Some still have to work hard because they just need the money. Others like Dylan have the chance to work with great players as they are not in a bandframe.

But in the first place: the Stones have never been great musicans/ virtuoses and that shows - and they haven't been that creative or relevant for quite some time already.
They do what realistic people can still expect from them and not much more . .[quote/]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well,first-off I strongly disagree with the statement that the Stones have never been great musicians. Their music speaks for itself. They are not technical virtuosos with some exception but,they are (or at least were) great,creative musicians.

The big surprise here,to me,is that they have taken their laziness and coasting on their laurels to a new level.

This is from the same band who used to criticize other acts for coasting on their laurels (circa '89 through the '90's).

This is from the same band who denounced earlier Abkco / Decca compilations.

Richards once called Clapton "lazy" in a Rolling Stone magazine interview - from the late '90's if I recall correctly.

Jagger "rolled his eyes" at the idea of more re-packages of old material (in 2004 or 2005) according to a magazine interviewer.

None of this adds up. They are contradicting THEMSELVES.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 19:43 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Date: September 6, 2012 19:50

thePenguin
coulda been worse. i hear this was the first choice...

LOL! GGGGodzilla

Posted by: Bricklayer ()
Date: September 6, 2012 20:07

CousinC
Erik_Snow
cowboytoast
CousinC
Really can't believe some of the comments I'm reading here. Are here adults posting? Some act like spoilt, disappointed children.
Really what did you expect from a group of 70 year old men?

It should be clear that there has to be a new compilation this year for the people.
I mean the hard-cores get/got some nice stuff as well.
And the cover/title is not so bad - in the style of Made in the Shade,etc.
So really . .

i am honestly perplexed as to the people on here who are defending their laziness and apathy...

if you guys want to be fools and line their pockets for retread crap then that's your problem...you are probably diehard compilation fans anyway...

but for the most part...the people on here complaining are the ones who are on here all the time through the years when NOTHING is going on and who are loyal to these lazy bastards through thick and thin...even when that drunk fell out of the tree...

granted...they don't owe anyone anything...but on the other hand they shouldn't act like they are going to deliver something of relevance and then do not...or can't get it hard...tiny todger or not...

yeah great they put out archive releases... BUT we all had that stuff...albiet it in not as good quality...but chances are they probably got a lick off of the old boots we bought anyway...so it's just more money...

AGE IS NOT A FACTOR IN THIS....

there are tons of guys and bands from their generation that still play on a regular basis and make LP's and everything...hell like i said earlier...Ian Hunter put out a new LP yesterday...he is 73...and all he talks about is still trying to be relevant and not going out and going through the motions...because it still means something to him

this is plain and simple apathy...and being lazy...and riding the wave...and not caring about their fanbase...

Completely agree with everything, Cowboy

They do what realistic people can still expect from them and not much more . .

Well said CousinC and I agree for the most part.

With all the time and resources they have why can't we simply get more & better? In addition to the 50 greatest hits for the next generation why not give us a box set of previously unreleased live shows in a beautiful package? ( I don't want to hear about Google music). Why not another beautifully packaged box set of unreleased material? The only effort required by the band (Jagger/Richards really) is to select the material, a restoration person, & a good art director (or maybe just Mick & Charlie). This way the band gets to make $ and fans are happy.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: September 6, 2012 20:14

Won't be rushing out to buy this,that's for sure - crap title & how many GH albums do we need?Perhaps we are meant to be grateful that they've managed to cobble together a couple of new tracks for us - don't think so - 50 years is a mammoth accomplishment & it ought to have been marked with a new album at the very least.

Having said that,lets face it - a band that wrote the likes of Gimme Shelter,Satisfaction,Brown Sugar & Sympathy,to name but a few - have been unable to come up with anything of the same class for donkeys years - thankfully,Thea Gilmore is working on a new album - now,that really is something to look forward to - few people have probably heard of her,but one things for sure - her songwriting wipes the floor with anything we've had from our boys of late.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: September 6, 2012 20:18

Oh Stones what are you doing to us? How many COMPILATIONS of the hits can we take.
YES 40 LICKS was well timed and a world wide hit as well as a great Tour with it,
This new thing is rubbish, stupid name, stupid cover.... hooray TWO new tracks!!!

WHY NOT JUST RELEASE THEM AS A DOUBLE A SIDE SINGLE

Very dissapointed fan sad smiley

Date: September 6, 2012 20:29

slew
Jesus H Christ:
Big Hits: High Tide and Green Grass
Big Hits Volume II Through the Past Darkly
Hot Rocks 1964-1971
More Hot Rocks Big Hits and Fazed Cookies
Made In the Shade
Sucking In the Seventies
Rewind
Jump Back
Forty Licks

That is just the US alone not to mention Rolled Gold, Time Waits For No one etc. I may be missing some as well.

Do we need this??? Will anyone buy it?? This is a joke what disappointing news. What the hell happened to this band???
I agree totally, rehashing tracks, two new numbers should have been a new single

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 6, 2012 20:32

bestfour, why are you disappointed? We've had SO MUCH given to us from the archives. And apparently there's more to come. Forty Licks is out of print therefore The Stones need a new compilation package on the shelves. They are in the music BUSINESS. It's not rocket science. The Stones don't have a compilation product with Universal therefore one is coming.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 6, 2012 20:38

slew
Jesus H Christ:
Big Hits: High Tide and Green Grass
Big Hits Volume II Through the Past Darkly
Hot Rocks 1964-1971
More Hot Rocks Big Hits and Fazed Cookies
Made In the Shade
Sucking In the Seventies
Rewind
Jump Back
Forty Licks

That is just the US alone not to mention Rolled Gold, Time Waits For No one etc. I may be missing some as well.

Do we need this??? Will anyone buy it?? This is a joke what disappointing news. What the hell happened to this band???
They signed with Universal, That's what happened. Forty Licks went out of print. That's what happened. The Stones need a new CURRENT compilation on the shelf for their new label because that's how the business is. That's what happened. Also, They're celebrating 50 years therefore they need a career-spanning compilation package on their new label. That's what happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 20:40 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: September 6, 2012 20:42

Bad timing. Poor choice for credibility to tour behind a greatest hits set,especially so soon after the Licks Tour. If it were released a couple of years AFTER this round of live shows was over ..... that would be a different story.

Many people would like to see more effort & dedication than a token six day stint in a recording studio.

Date: September 6, 2012 21:03

GumbootCloggeroo
bestfour, why are you disappointed? We've had SO MUCH given to us from the archives. And apparently there's more to come. Forty Licks is out of print therefore The Stones need a new compilation package on the shelves. They are in the music BUSINESS. It's not rocket science. The Stones don't have a compilation product with Universal therefore one is coming.

You can cut it any way you like..... its rehashed material with what should have been a new single ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE all Stones fans ALREADY HAVE the tracks, its new material with a Tour is what the older Stones fans hope for.
The newer fans will be delighted with Grr

Date: September 6, 2012 21:17

It has been interesting to watch the google results for GRRR! change slowly from the announcement to right now.... The Stones are not yet the top result... but maybe eventually

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: September 6, 2012 21:26

bestfour
GumbootCloggeroo

You can cut it any way you like..... its rehashed material with what should have been a new single ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE all Stones fans ALREADY HAVE the tracks, its new material with a Tour is what the older Stones fans hope for.
The newer fans will be delighted with Grr

TOTALLY agree with you and Winning Ugly VXII

we all DO have the tracks...the 'archive releases' we have all had for years...it's not like they are giving us 'unreleased material'...they just finally gave up the first generation masters because downloading killed off the sales of bootlegs...thankfully i will be able to download the new tracks for free off of the internet...then listen to them once and discard them...like i did with the 4 new ones off of 40 Licks...

The most entertaining thing about "Dont Stop" was Keith getting pissed during the recording sessions on the DVD...but now i think he did it for the camera anyway...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home