Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 5, 2012 23:40

MightyStonesStillRollin50
Max'sKansasCity
Max'sKansasCity
palerider22

The Exile and Some Girls outtakes where just for us.
This one is not.
By the way, my teenage daughter likes the cover.
Hope we all like the 2 new songs.

My teenage daughter wants this cover on a tee-shirt asap...this is target audience for this one, folks....

Well... maybe ole Mick is as smart as we (some of us) give him credit for... if/when groups attract the teenage girls (and their never ending flow of Mom and Dad's money) then they hit the jack pot... and The Stones probably wont do that by putting their faces on the cover.

Absolutely! You can bet that this was looked at from every possible angle. Pure marketing genius. A slick way to win over a whole new generation to the Mighty Stones. My 11 year old niece wants one too!

Not to mention the subliminal aspect of the King Kong like gorilla. King Kong rules the jungle. The Stones rule the jungle of rock 'n roll. Brilliant!
But ...But..... Just look at that bad Gorilla!!!! I wouldnt want that frisky monkey looking at my teenage daughters with those lustful eyes... Heavens-to-Betsy, just look at his eyes!!! He only wants one thing.... and look at that tongue!!... AND THOSE TEETH!! (They are like a "Twilight" vampires teeth!!).... Young girls must stay away from that bad Gorilla... He is forbidden... tell them.... "you will NOT have anything to do with that bad Gorilla!!"

cha ching... cha ching... cha ching... cha ching!!!

Must be Mick in that gorilla suit! That wicked tongue looks familiar, does it not?
LOL... Yupsmileys with beer

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 5, 2012 23:54

HopeYouGuessMyName
I am alway looking forward to new songs. So here is the question. Will Universal (and/ or the Stones) be greedy and NOT allow the two songs to be purchased individually on iTunes or will they be creeps and insist that we buy a 3 cd set to pick up two singles? I am aware that I have the freedom to not purchase anything, but I do want the new songs, because as a fan - I know that I will enjoy them!

What'S your suggestion? Mine is clear. They'll suck big time.

Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: September 6, 2012 00:04

Wish it was 1969 with same news the Rolling Stones are about to release there new single Yes 2 new songs thats all we got in 68 & 69
Jumpin Jack & Honky Tonk so lets hope we get a something close.
Lets be Happy at least there working again.

Date: September 6, 2012 00:10

Highwire.uk
Wish it was 1969 with same news the Rolling Stones are about to release there new single Yes 2 new songs thats all we got in 68 & 69
Jumpin Jack & Honky Tonk so lets hope we get a something close.
Lets be Happy at least there working again.

Can you imagine if we got 2 songs of the same caliber as JJF and HTW? WOW!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 00:12 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 6, 2012 00:13

@Highwire.uk - I agree with you about them working, but they are weird when it comes to that. The Stones barely function as a band. They get together for a 50 year anniversary, but haven't done anything for the last 5 (Watching the River Flow didn't even have all of them in the same room together). They are barely a band, and we love them.

I am happy that there will be two new songs, but man... Is that it? I sure hope not. This cover is just plain atrocious. The fact that we are all on here mocking it, and we're the base, is a big indicator about how the public will receive it. Is the Stones' music for CHILDREN? INFANTS? Or are we all fairly educated adults for the most part..?

If Mick wanted to piss off the baby boomers, he did it. If he wanted to look like a hack to us artistic types (me) he succeeded. The cover is absolute trash no matter how you look at it.

HOWEVER... If this cover were a brand new album, and was the greatest album they had ever produced, then the cover MIGHT be badass enough to pull it off. Another repackaging of the hits just wont do it for any of us.

This wont sell.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 6, 2012 00:24

Max'sKansasCity
palerider22

The Exile and Some Girls outtakes where just for us.
This one is not.
By the way, my teenage daughter likes the cover.
Hope we all like the 2 new songs.

My teenage daughter wants this cover on a tee-shirt asap...this is target audience for this one, folks....

Well... maybe ole Mick is as smart as we (some of us) give him credit for... if/when groups attract the teenage girls (and their never ending flow of Mom and Dad's money) then they hit the jack pot... and The Stones probably wont do that by putting their faces on the cover.

Absolutely! You can bet that this was looked at from every possible angle. Pure marketing genius. A slick way to win over a whole new generation to the Mighty Stones. My 11 year old niece wants one too!

Not to mention the subliminal aspect of the King Kong like gorilla. King Kong rules the jungle. The Stones rule the jungle of rock 'n roll. Brilliant!

That's just Mick and Ronnie grooming the next generation of young models for when their current squeezes get too old for them.

Date: September 6, 2012 00:28

stonesnow

That's just Mick and Ronnie grooming the next generation of young models for when their current squeezes get too old for them.

--------------

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2012 00:31

flacnvinyl
@Highwire.uk - I agree with you about them working, but they are weird when it comes to that. The Stones barely function as a band. They get together for a 50 year anniversary, but haven't done anything for the last 5 (Watching the River Flow didn't even have all of them in the same room together). They are barely a band, and we love them.

I am happy that there will be two new songs, but man... Is that it? I sure hope not. This cover is just plain atrocious. The fact that we are all on here mocking it, and we're the base, is a big indicator about how the public will receive it. Is the Stones' music for CHILDREN? INFANTS? Or are we all fairly educated adults for the most part..?

If Mick wanted to piss off the baby boomers, he did it. If he wanted to look like a hack to us artistic types (me) he succeeded. The cover is absolute trash no matter how you look at it.

HOWEVER... If this cover were a brand new album, and was the greatest album they had ever produced, then the cover MIGHT be badass enough to pull it off. Another repackaging of the hits just wont do it for any of us.

This wont sell.

Yeah, I agree...I'm shocked that UMe would have allowed this. Maybe it was even their idea? If they were hoping for 40 Licks type sales, I think they're dreaming.

But again, comes down to what's inside the package, not just the package.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: September 6, 2012 01:32

It'd be a nice idea if they released the two new songs on 7" for those of us who don't want another compilation, but I imagine it'll just be part of the super deluxe edition or whatever (the 7" that is).

Although knowing this band, they'd probably release two of them - one new song backed with "Angie", another with "Miss You", ha ha!

The cover's not bad in a rock 'n' roll way, but something like Made In The Shade still has that dirty vibe, as well as being a good piece of art. This doesn't quite have that, but it is quite contemporary in its style for 2012 though.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 6, 2012 01:42

claudine

[www.rollingstones.com]

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 6, 2012 01:44

Maybe at the new shows they will play Monkey Man w/The GRRR Ape on the screen just to annoy us and help T-Shirt sales?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 6, 2012 01:49

deadegad
Maybe at the new shows they will play Monkey Man w/The GRRR Ape on the screen just to annoy us and help T-Shirt sales?

On the screen? You mean on the stage. There's sure to be a giant inflatable. Anatomically correct, with a massive todger ejaculating all over the front rows!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 01:54 by tatters.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 6, 2012 02:12

claudine

[www.rollingstones.com]

The humour of this struck me this afternoon, hard to quantify of course, just walkng down the street today, thought of it and laughed, had to stifle it of course out in public and all that........................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 02:13 by EddieByword.

Date: September 6, 2012 02:17

EddieByword
claudine

[www.rollingstones.com]

The humour of this struck me this afternoon, hard to quantify of course, just walkng down the street today, thought of it and laughed, had to stifle it of course out in public and all that........................
thumbs up Fun is a good thing to have!!

Date: September 6, 2012 02:19

This monkey is going to more fun than we think thought... more fun than a barrel of...

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 6, 2012 02:19

Bill wyman is back remember (monkey grip) what a shity cover,why could they not put photos of the group from years gone by,i forget they might have to spend money to brush of bill ywman and mick taylor,ha,ha,ha.
45 years of hanging around and five years of playing.
STONES ARE A WAY OF LIFE.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: September 6, 2012 02:22

My 5yr old son keeps wanting me to show him the Gorilla!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2012 02:29

georgie48
Gazza
georgie48
Only two days and already 20 pages full of reactions on THE news ... Yes, they did it again! Good or bad ... the world knows we're still around.
Even on the "teletekst" it was announced that the Stones were going to release a "greatest hits" album. I can't recall this to have ever happened before ... it's only a(nother) "greatest hits" collection for goodness sake.
Love your Stones for what they are: UNIQUE and a precious gift to the real fan!

Yeah the blimp ride, press conference televised worldwide by satellite and simultaneous announcement of Forty Licks got NO media coverage at all!

Sorry Gazza, I meant the "teletekst" announcement. The Forty Licks "greatest hits" was not the reason to use the blimp. It was (I was there) to announce a new world tour and the Forty Licks release just profited from it. No one was impressed by that "greatest hits" double album either.
The Licks tour was great, to say the least, and the 2005 A Bigger Bang album is a joy to listen to.
You know, just as well as I do, that there is more to come out of Alladin's lamp.

With respect,georgie, your memory is slightly off. Whilst they didnt announce the greatest hits album as such (the title hadnt even been settled at the time), Cohl specifically confirmed at the start of the press conference that just a few hours earlier an agreement had been reached between EMI and ABKCO to release - for the first time - a career spanning retrospective.

The reason they didnt make any major announcements before regarding greatest hits releases was because they generally get released between tours when there's no shows to promote and/or get released by their distributor as the band is leaving the label. So, the band's input tends to be minimal. When 40 Licks was announced there most definitely WAS sizeable press coverage about it.

For example :
[news.bbc.co.uk]

There's simply more coverage now about these things because of the nature of the internet era. There have only really been two 'new' Stones compilations in the internet era when you think about it. Three if you count Jump Back, which even got MTV/VH1 specials devoted to it, as I recall.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 6, 2012 02:52

Massimo68
Bricklayer
Ok, let me start with the disclaimer. I am a huge Stones fan (why else would I be on this site), I own all of their official releases, many of their unofficial releases, I have seen them numerous times, and I play guitar in a band that covers Rolling Stones songs (and others).

If GRRR! is a joke I will laugh my ass off, unfortunately I highly doubt that it is. What it is is another lame attempt by a once great band to wrest $ from my wallet. Let's count them off:

Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass) - 1966
Big Hits Vol. II (Through The Past Darkly) - 1969
Hot Rocks - 1972
More Hot Rocks -1972
Made In The Shade - 1975
Rewind - 1984
Jump Back - 1993
40 Licks - 2002

I know they're "the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world", but 8 greatest hits albums (granted both Hot Rocks were released by ABKCO after the split), soon to be 9 if this is real? What about cracking open the vaults on all the unreleased material? If you're going to f*#k me at least kiss me!

You missed another one :
Sucking in the Seventies - 1981

..and 'time waits for no one'..

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: September 6, 2012 02:54

Rolled Gold.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: September 6, 2012 02:58

i have zero interest in any new material or any new shows, only pre-1982 archive shows.... but that cover is just EPIC, I lmao every time I look at it, sorry lol.... i may have to buy this!

Re: Grrr is a bad tite and it is not even an original idea
Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 6, 2012 03:04

lunar!!!
it does reflect the bands' current ability of @#$%ing over the fans quite properly though.

I think you are a bit ungrateful. Just my observation.

and exactly whay should i be grateful for sir?

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 6, 2012 03:44

love the cover!!!! the best one since tattoo you for shure! and the title is kinda cool.

Date: September 6, 2012 03:45

...and exactly what should I be grateful for?

Only one can answer that question for one's self.

Humans usually dont know what they have(had) until it is gone.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 6, 2012 03:48

Really poor cover, and unless the title is an acronym or has some hidden meaning, it's pretty bad. I wonder if the 2 'new' songs that are described as being finished in Paris were actually started in 1978?

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: September 6, 2012 03:55

doxa,you think expecting a new album,after 1 in the last 15 years is getting out of hand?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2012 03:57

lunar!!!
lunar!!!
it does reflect the bands' current ability of @#$%ing over the fans quite properly though.

I think you are a bit ungrateful. Just my observation.

and exactly whay should i be grateful for sir?

be GRRRateful!

Date: September 6, 2012 04:04

My friend Clint is really angry...he loves GRR and he is tired of complainers...

He has just told me so in a web conference we have just have.

Clint, tell us about complainers...

Date: September 6, 2012 04:14

emotionalbarbecue
My friend Clint is really angry...he loves GRR and he is tired of complainers...

He has just told me so in a web conference we have just have.

Clint, tell us about complainers...

Insert obligatory empty chair joke here. grinning smiley

(and I agree with you and Clint)

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: September 6, 2012 04:34

GRRR !
my reaction, (and it seems that of several others in this group),
after reading the details of this release, make this a the perfect title for this collection

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home