Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 8, 2012 06:12

>No Stone Unturned isn't half bad either.

Well that one's great because it's just an enlarged version of the JJF single.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 06:19

Glam Descendant

Well, it's from the same photo shoot, but not the same photo right? I don't own a physical copy of either of these releases, but this is what I always thought they looked like...

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 8, 2012 06:24

It's the same photos front and back just reversed. The back of JJF is the front of NSU.

Date: September 8, 2012 06:39

Glam Descendant
It's the same photos front and back just reversed. The back of JJF is the front of NSU.

Ah, I see. I've just seen the covers on the net, having never had a physical copy of either I've never seen the reverse sides.

Posted by: StonesAustria ()
Date: September 8, 2012 07:25

This is the most distasteful "artwork" on any Rolling Stones record (or production) ever. Period. If they end their career with this crap, imho it would be a big shame. Isn´t there any artist out there, who can influence Mick Jagger a little towards the basic principles of aesthetics, teach him a little about "place tongue-logo in the middle of any face - and be it a gorilla´s - is an utmost ugly thing even if garnished with meaningless vampire teeth" and so on ...

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 8, 2012 07:39

MightyStonesStillRollin50
stonesnow
stonesnow
micawber
HopeYouGuessMyName
I am alway looking forward to new songs. So here is the question. Will Universal (and/ or the Stones) be greedy and NOT allow the two songs to be purchased individually on iTunes or will they be creeps and insist that we buy a 3 cd set to pick up two singles? I am aware that I have the freedom to not purchase anything, but I do want the new songs, because as a fan - I know that I will enjoy them!

What'S your suggestion? Mine is clear. They'll suck big time.

I hear they are "killer". Best Stones since Bridges.

MSSR50, I want to thank you for being such a good sport about all my needling comments regarding your being a Stones Inc. insider/secret agent man--after all, I say such things all in the spirit of good fun. I also want to thank you for complimenting me on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread for having such a "fabulous imagination", which, as a creative poet/musician type, I certainly do. I would also like to let you in on the fact that I possess certain psychic abilities as well, because, also on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread, in my post of September 5, I accurately predicted that you would proclaim the 2 new tracks on GRRR! as "the most brilliant tracks they've recorded since Bulges To Bubble-on", and sure enough, just 38 hours later in your post in this thread on September 6, you did indeed proclaim these 2 new tracks as the "best Stones since Bridges."

So you are indeed an insider--or at least, you know someone who has heard the 2 new tracks before the general public has, because why else would you proclaim songs as "killer" before you've even heard them? That would be putting the cart before the horse. And you're far too shrewd to be putting carts before horses, or counting chickens before they hatch. I like you, MSSR50--the almost unbearably upbeat, unfailingly positive tone of your posts, while appearing to contain a whiff of a certain hidden PR agenda, is most entertaining for sure.

Ah, but that's just my "fabulous imagination" at work again--fabulous, yes, and, as you can see from how my prediction of your "best Stones since Bridges" quote was foretold, also containing a hint of psychic-based truth.... Hey, how do you know I'm not in the room with you right now, unseen?--I could be looking over your shoulder the very moment you are reading this, like an apparition.... BOO! GRRR!

So you are the nervous lil Barney Fife Munchkin (overhead) with the heavy feet! How can one with such little feet make so much noise? And while I have your attention: Stop wasting tax payer dollars shadowing me and catch my stalker! The one who has stolen my identity and ran my cell phone minutes way over limit last month! I know I have a big mouth, but..... Or are you the stalker? Or worse yet, my manager, (sent by Mick) to spy on me to see if I am doing my job as Secret Agent (050) for the Mighty Rolling Stones! You see, we, (you and I) are kindred spirits.

Am I an insider? I am definitely an "outsider" here at IORR. Seem to have a knack for pissing off all the "Anti-Stones" that troll about around here.

Someday, (when the Stones call it quits) I will share all of my secrets.smileys with beer

Well done, MSSR50, a great way of evading the question. Yes, a Stones Inc. insider would certainly technically be an outsider among all us outsiders, as we outsiders are surely not Stones insiders--but let's not let our logic get twisted inside-out. And may you never have occasion to share all of your secrets, as you mentioned above.smiling smiley

You don't need to be an "insider" (or a psychic) to understand the genius of Mick Jagger. A little experience in promotions/marketing, some knowledge of the game of chess, and "a pinch" of common sense, certainly doesn't hurt though. Not saying you are going to hit the bulls-eye every time (when anticipating the "moves" of Jagger) but you should (at least) be able to get your darts somewhere on the board. Provided you possess the before-mentioned assets, of course.

OK, so you work for Mick exclusively. Got it! And regarding marketing as you said above "we should just trust Mick on this one" (regarding the GRRR! design). The others don't care how it's marketed--it's just the Stones, and Mick will take care of the marketing. Yes, got it! Thought we were gaining common ground MSSR50, but I see we're not. And if we're playing chess, then we should not be invisible to one another--otherwise, it would be deceptive, now wouldn't it? Just one other thing--if Mick Jagger is such a genius, marketing-wise and all that, then how come his solo career, all those albums, hasn't hit the dart board one time, let alone come close to a bull's eye?

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: September 8, 2012 10:10

Glam Descendant
Can't be the same picture, except to have 2 cameras, on in front of and the other one behind. And Brian is now in the back of the others.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 13:07

All this bitching about the artwork....What ever happened to "Don't judge a book by it's cover?" I'll save my complaining till I see the official tracklist and it's the same singles and warhorses repackaged yet again. If they pepper it with some of the great album cuts that weren't hits, it could be a good collection.

Date: September 8, 2012 13:36

I thought about that gorilla on the cover and it's possible meaning, too. Anybody else but me thinks, spectators from this Legend to Legend thing might see the gorilla on tv again (as animation), maybe even on a screen in the football stadium?

That kind of would explain why it is a gorilla rather than a cat or a dog. Because the resemblence to an American footballer is so much more striking! The announcement (ESPN to commemorate the Rolling Stones’ 50th anniversary on Monday Nights) spoke of a "high-end animation" in the context of the Legend to Legend/Rolling Stones/Universal project and they already have the uView gorilla animation, why not use it again? Both, Legend to Legend and the compilation, will present Rolling Stones hits. So Legend to Legend and the event could work as a marketing campaign for the hits album. I think there exist teams with "gorilla" in their names, but also in this competition (I don't know that much about the sport)? It could look a little bit too biased, like supporting one team, to use the Grrr-gorilla then, which would ruin my theory...

lafuente.com

http://whiskeyandcarkeys.org

http://imagesaz.com

Secondly, as some pointed out, there is probably the allusion to the 800 pound gorilla or 400 pund gorilla (the Rolling Stones as a powerfull entity that cannot be overlooked and that sleeps "anywhere it wants to". After all, they can even afford to to be as naughty as to give us an album with the stupid title Grrr! for their 50th).

Other thoughts: the echoism (don't know if that's the right word) of "grrr" and "gorilla" (both start with a "g" and contain a "r" ) and of "grrr" and "great" (Greatest band, greatest hits. In the online shops they even name the album Grrr! Greatest Hits and on Twitter they announced a "grrreat day". I wonder if somewhere in the booklet or at the flipside of the cover you get to read "Grrr!eatest hits" ). There could also be a an allusion to Mick Jagger's growling singing...

I was also shocked by that cover, at first, but I got used to it and don't think it's that bad now. Inelegant, silly and somehow primitive, yes, but also funny (look him close in the eyes). I was so annoyed by finding out that the "big announcement" was just a hits album and by having to stare at a stupidly grinning gorilla and to read that nonsense word "grrr" instead of getting something really new, that I couldn't find it funny. I felt derided and twitted by the gorilla.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-08 17:21 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: September 8, 2012 13:53

"3D AUGMENTED REALITY SLEEVE

In celebration of the Rolling Stones' incredible journey, an innovative campaign has been launched to reveal their GRRR! Greatest Hits album sleeve using 3D Augmented Reality.

Using the free uView app fans can scan the GRRR! sleeve and watch the stunning imagery come to life in 3D animation right before their eyes. To download the free app click here for iOS and here for Android. The campaign will have further exciting updates coming soon."

Using the words stunning and exciting to describe something that's far from spectacular is part of the dissapointment. The daily shitload of politician's lies and misleading commercials has severely numbed our ability to appreciate nifty monkey graphics. The majority of hardcore Stonesfans focus on the music and are at best annoyed by this marketing yap yap. The only exciting aspect of this release for me is the two new songs.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 8, 2012 15:22

Britney
"3D AUGMENTED REALITY SLEEVE

In celebration of the Rolling Stones' incredible journey, an innovative campaign has been launched to reveal their GRRR! Greatest Hits album sleeve using 3D Augmented Reality.

Using the free uView app fans can scan the GRRR! sleeve and watch the stunning imagery come to life in 3D animation right before their eyes. To download the free app click here for iOS and here for Android. The campaign will have further exciting updates coming soon."

Using the words stunning and exciting to describe something that's far from spectacular is part of the dissapointment. The daily shitload of politician's lies and misleading commercials has severely numbed our ability to appreciate nifty monkey graphics. The majority of hardcore Stonesfans focus on the music and are at best annoyed by this marketing yap yap. The only exciting aspect of this release for me is the two new songs.

OK, this 3D animation thing is a little stupid to me, too, but may be funny to all those kids, teens and twens The Rolling Stones want to get as their new audience.

And I was told by the company that The Rolling Stones Marketing is watching this board, with all those IORR, GHS, BS, SS, YCAGWYW, aso. It was only a short way to name the upcoming release "GRRR" an not in an old fashion way "Greatest Rock 'n Roll Riffs" or something like that ...

A, yes, the gorilla-thing. It's because Mike is just the Monkey Man, with big lips and tounge, you see ...

Younger audience and fans do like this cover, it was tested by marketing profs very hard.

Ok, no one really do need this compilation thing, but IORR and YCAGWYW, TALH be H with it!!!

cool smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 8, 2012 15:53

Every cover that makes for so much attention is a good cover . . !

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 8, 2012 15:54

Drift Away was a cover....nobody really talks about that though...

Date: September 8, 2012 16:56

aprilfool
Glam Descendant
Can't be the same picture, except to have 2 cameras, on in front of and the other one behind. And Brian is now in the back of the others.

I think what he means is that the front cover of NSU is the back cover of JJF. Looking at a JJF single online it shows the front and back covers, which is both of the pictures seen above.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 8, 2012 16:57

Reminds me of the past -

Date: September 8, 2012 17:42

Mick's a genius eh? I'm glad he didn't name it Let's Work, because GRRR! is so much better.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 8, 2012 19:57

NoCode0680
Glam Descendant

Well, it's from the same photo shoot, but not the same photo right? I don't own a physical copy of either of these releases, but this is what I always thought they looked like...

This is a great record, even though it was a Decca job.

Date: September 8, 2012 19:59

stonesnow
stonesnow
stonesnow
micawber
HopeYouGuessMyName
I am alway looking forward to new songs. So here is the question. Will Universal (and/ or the Stones) be greedy and NOT allow the two songs to be purchased individually on iTunes or will they be creeps and insist that we buy a 3 cd set to pick up two singles? I am aware that I have the freedom to not purchase anything, but I do want the new songs, because as a fan - I know that I will enjoy them!

What'S your suggestion? Mine is clear. They'll suck big time.

I hear they are "killer". Best Stones since Bridges.

MSSR50, I want to thank you for being such a good sport about all my needling comments regarding your being a Stones Inc. insider/secret agent man--after all, I say such things all in the spirit of good fun. I also want to thank you for complimenting me on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread for having such a "fabulous imagination", which, as a creative poet/musician type, I certainly do. I would also like to let you in on the fact that I possess certain psychic abilities as well, because, also on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread, in my post of September 5, I accurately predicted that you would proclaim the 2 new tracks on GRRR! as "the most brilliant tracks they've recorded since Bulges To Bubble-on", and sure enough, just 38 hours later in your post in this thread on September 6, you did indeed proclaim these 2 new tracks as the "best Stones since Bridges."

So you are indeed an insider--or at least, you know someone who has heard the 2 new tracks before the general public has, because why else would you proclaim songs as "killer" before you've even heard them? That would be putting the cart before the horse. And you're far too shrewd to be putting carts before horses, or counting chickens before they hatch. I like you, MSSR50--the almost unbearably upbeat, unfailingly positive tone of your posts, while appearing to contain a whiff of a certain hidden PR agenda, is most entertaining for sure.

Ah, but that's just my "fabulous imagination" at work again--fabulous, yes, and, as you can see from how my prediction of your "best Stones since Bridges" quote was foretold, also containing a hint of psychic-based truth.... Hey, how do you know I'm not in the room with you right now, unseen?--I could be looking over your shoulder the very moment you are reading this, like an apparition.... BOO! GRRR!

So you are the nervous lil Barney Fife Munchkin (overhead) with the heavy feet! How can one with such little feet make so much noise? And while I have your attention: Stop wasting tax payer dollars shadowing me and catch my stalker! The one who has stolen my identity and ran my cell phone minutes way over limit last month! I know I have a big mouth, but..... Or are you the stalker? Or worse yet, my manager, (sent by Mick) to spy on me to see if I am doing my job as Secret Agent (050) for the Mighty Rolling Stones! You see, we, (you and I) are kindred spirits.

Am I an insider? I am definitely an "outsider" here at IORR. Seem to have a knack for pissing off all the "Anti-Stones" that troll about around here.

Someday, (when the Stones call it quits) I will share all of my secrets.smileys with beer

Well done, MSSR50, a great way of evading the question. Yes, a Stones Inc. insider would certainly technically be an outsider among all us outsiders, as we outsiders are surely not Stones insiders--but let's not let our logic get twisted inside-out. And may you never have occasion to share all of your secrets, as you mentioned above.smiling smiley

You don't need to be an "insider" (or a psychic) to understand the genius of Mick Jagger. A little experience in promotions/marketing, some knowledge of the game of chess, and "a pinch" of common sense, certainly doesn't hurt though. Not saying you are going to hit the bulls-eye every time (when anticipating the "moves" of Jagger) but you should (at least) be able to get your darts somewhere on the board. Provided you possess the before-mentioned assets, of course.

OK, so you work for Mick exclusively. Got it! And regarding marketing as you said above "we should just trust Mick on this one" (regarding the GRRR! design). The others don't care how it's marketed--it's just the Stones, and Mick will take care of the marketing. Yes, got it! Thought we were gaining common ground MSSR50, but I see we're not. And if we're playing chess, then we should not be invisible to one another--otherwise, it would be deceptive, now wouldn't it? Just one other thing--if Mick Jagger is such a genius, marketing-wise and all that, then how come his solo career, all those albums, hasn't hit the dart board one time, let alone come close to a bull's eye?

So let me try and explain this once again. I am not an insider. But that doesn't mean, I, (or you) can't anticipate the moves (or strategies) of Mick Jagger. To understand those moves it probably doesn't hurt to have some experience in marketing/promotions, a knowledge of the game of chess, and a little common sense. Which I do. Doesn't mean I will always be able to anticipate (with one hundred percent accuracy) his next move. But, my darts generally do find the board. Sometimes they find their way to the bulls-eye. There is always just a little bit of deception (it's rough justice on ya)) going on with the Stones and their promotions. I call it RSEF (Rolling Stones Event Foreplay) or RSTF (Rolling Stones Tour Foreplay). It's a bit of a chess match trying to read through the lines and figure out exactly what they are going to do next. It's fun though, especially when you are good at it.smoking smiley

Mick Jagger's solo career is another topic altogether. Maybe you and Doxa can figure that one out? I suggest you read the new book: "Mick: The Mad Genius Of Mick Jagger". You might gain a little respect for the man.

Date: September 8, 2012 20:11

50, "common sense" is a ignorantly used term these days. Also, there is nothing to figure out about Mick's solo career; everyone knows it was a commercial failure ie it didn't make Mick a star.

You've been calling it RSEF or RSTF for years now under your other names. You can stop being such a dizzy cheerleader.

Date: September 8, 2012 20:12

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Mick's a genius eh? I'm glad he didn't name it Let's Work, because GRRR! is so much better.

GRRR is GRRREAT!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 8, 2012 20:16

New here in this forum but Stonesfreak since the early Sixties.

GRRR!
The Rolling Stones have always been into Art and used Art in their world.
The new album cover GRRR is controversial and everybody is talking about it!
"Likes and dislikes" so it's spot on! The gorilla paintings by Walton Ford are great and GRRR is open for interpretation and that's what art is all about.
GRRR for me is the situation of the world we are in today.
Put on some music and open a bottle of wine.

Cheers Runaway

Date: September 8, 2012 20:17

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

GRRR is GRRREAT!

So you do "marketing" and "promoting" for Kelloggs. Do you really have to be so smarmy and come off as the Mayor of Mayberry all the time?

Date: September 8, 2012 20:18

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
50, "common sense" is a ignorantly used term these days. Also, there is nothing to figure out about Mick's solo career; everyone knows it was a commercial failure ie it didn't make Mick a star.

You've been calling it RSEF or RSTF for years now under your other names. You can stop being such a dizzy cheerleader.

Go Stones, Go! Fight Team, Fight!

Date: September 8, 2012 20:20

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Whatever you say there Colonial/TheWatchman/AnyoneElse

Date: September 8, 2012 20:21

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

GRRR is GRRREAT!

So you do "marketing" and "promoting" for Kelloggs. Do you really have to be so smarmy and come off as the Mayor of Mayberry all the time?

Which Mayor are you speaking of? I think there was at least two.

Date: September 8, 2012 20:23

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Most people from my generation know exactly what that term means.

Date: September 8, 2012 20:25

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

It's changed. You haven't.

Date: September 8, 2012 20:26

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

It's changed. You haven't.

Enlighten me. What does it mean today?

Date: September 8, 2012 20:32

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Whatever you say there Colonial/TheWatchman/AnyoneElse

You know damn well I am not Colonial.

Date: September 8, 2012 20:37

Hi runaway, I' m also new here.smiling smiley But other than you I just became a fan a few years ago.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2148
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home