Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 60
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 9, 2012 01:55

Jan Richards
Unbelievable, 34 pages on a simple greatest hits album. Well, this would be my 5 cents on the Grrr!

No1. The current label Universal has no hits compilation available for the moment. They cannot reissue 40Licks as that was a Virgin record. So they have to do a hits collection of their own. What is the best time to do it? Well, the band is turning 50, so that may be a good time to do it.....

No2. There is not one single hits CD in the record shop at this point of time. Well, a few places may have some Jump Backs. So if a young person goes into a record shop today and asks for a hits collection by a band called The Rolling Stones, the guy behind the counter has to say, sorry not available....

Yeah, I know that young guys do DL, but still there may be a few ones that likes to hold the music in their hands.

No 3. This GRRRR is not for anyone reading IORR. We have Miss You and Shattered (one of the worst Stones songs ever, can't understand why this is on hits records) already 14 times on vinyl, C-cassette, CD, DVD, Blue Ray, Lacerdisc, Mini-disc and what not. This compilation is for the causal buyer who likes to have a compilation of old and good Rolling Stones songs. Them being a Lady GaGa fan but grandpa said "get some real music for once, the music I listen to"

No4, you actually do not need to buy it if you don't want to, unless you are a collector that needs to get everything.

No5. We will have a new Greatest Hits by The Rolling Stones at least every 10 years from now. Nothing wrong with that, record companies just trying the keep the interest up for really old quality music. So be ready for a new Hits album in 2022, 2032 and maybe one in 2042 as well smiling smiley Hope they will still make vinyls in the 2040's

So, whats so bad with that? I'm a vinyl collector so I'm gonna buy the vinyl box.

In which case most younger CD buyers (the few that are left) would be savvy enough to order them online. CD Universe has the following hits collections on CD: Jump Back, Hot Rocks, Metamorphosis, Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass) [including the UK version], Singles Collection: The London Years, Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2), More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies), Singles 1968-1971, Flowers, Singles: 1971-2006, Rarities Edition: Essential Collector's Tracks, Singles: 1965-1967, Rolled Gold, Rarities 1971-2003, Singles: 1963-1965, Forty Licks, Sucking In The Seventies, Made In The Shade, and In Studio: Greatest Hits From The 70s To 00s. Even Jamming With Edward is available on CD. In addition to this, two vinyl boxsets are also available: one covering 64-69 and the other 71-05. It's all still available, more than you would ever need. Happy shopping!

www.cduniverse.com

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 9, 2012 02:03

stonesnow
Jan Richards
Unbelievable, 34 pages on a simple greatest hits album. Well, this would be my 5 cents on the Grrr!

No1. The current label Universal has no hits compilation available for the moment. They cannot reissue 40Licks as that was a Virgin record. So they have to do a hits collection of their own. What is the best time to do it? Well, the band is turning 50, so that may be a good time to do it.....

No2. There is not one single hits CD in the record shop at this point of time. Well, a few places may have some Jump Backs. So if a young person goes into a record shop today and asks for a hits collection by a band called The Rolling Stones, the guy behind the counter has to say, sorry not available....

Yeah, I know that young guys do DL, but still there may be a few ones that likes to hold the music in their hands.

No 3. This GRRRR is not for anyone reading IORR. We have Miss You and Shattered (one of the worst Stones songs ever, can't understand why this is on hits records) already 14 times on vinyl, C-cassette, CD, DVD, Blue Ray, Lacerdisc, Mini-disc and what not. This compilation is for the causal buyer who likes to have a compilation of old and good Rolling Stones songs. Them being a Lady GaGa fan but grandpa said "get some real music for once, the music I listen to"

No4, you actually do not need to buy it if you don't want to, unless you are a collector that needs to get everything.

No5. We will have a new Greatest Hits by The Rolling Stones at least every 10 years from now. Nothing wrong with that, record companies just trying the keep the interest up for really old quality music. So be ready for a new Hits album in 2022, 2032 and maybe one in 2042 as well smiling smiley Hope they will still make vinyls in the 2040's

So, whats so bad with that? I'm a vinyl collector so I'm gonna buy the vinyl box.

In which case most younger CD buyers (the few that are left) would be savvy enough to order them online. CD Universe has the following hits collections on CD: Jump Back, Hot Rocks, Metamorphosis, Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass) [including the UK version], Singles Collection: The London Years, Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2), More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies), Singles 1968-1971, Flowers, Singles: 1971-2006, Rarities Edition: Essential Collector's Tracks, Singles: 1965-1967, Rolled Gold, Rarities 1971-2003, Singles: 1963-1965, Forty Licks, Sucking In The Seventies, Made In The Shade, and In Studio: Greatest Hits From The 70s To 00s. Even Jamming With Edward is available on CD. In addition to this, two vinyl boxsets are also available: one covering 64-69 and the other 71-05. It's all still available, more than you would ever need. Happy shopping!

As a starter, if I have to choose from one of the records you mentioned ...I rather go for Grrrr

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: September 9, 2012 02:09

stonesnow
Jan Richards

www.cduniverse.com

So what? Universal who is the current "owner" of the Rolling Stones material do not have a compilation of their own on the market... They need to make some money from the "ownership"
If I go into a local record shop (actually I did it today itself) and ask for a Rolling Stones compilation, I can't buy a new one. Like Hot Rocks is from 1971, they did actually record a few songs after 1971... Someone even thinks that Exile is a great album and should maybe be represented on a Greatest Hits...

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: September 9, 2012 02:19

What do you call Jump Back? That was reissued by UMe and it's "current".

Date: September 9, 2012 02:21

Jan Richards
stonesnow
Jan Richards

www.cduniverse.com

So what? Universal who is the current "owner" of the Rolling Stones material do not have a compilation of their own on the market... They need to make some money from the "ownership"
If I go into a local record shop (actually I did it today itself) and ask for a Rolling Stones compilation, I can't buy a new one. Like Hot Rocks is from 1971, they did actually record a few songs after 1971... Someone even thinks that Exile is a great album and should maybe be represented on a Greatest Hits...

You are certainly fortunate to live near a record shop. These days, it's either a single big chain outlet, or it's nothing. Anyway, what's wrong with mail ordering through an outlet like CD Universe? Every collection of Stones songs ever released is available--and yes, new! Nothing is out of print in fact--it's all available online, if one knows where to look. Besides, because there are so few record shops these days, the hits packages just take up limited space in the bins. Maybe that's why your local record shop doesn't have a hits package. My main point from my above post was that because every compilation of hits ever released under the Stones name is still in print with new copies available [at least online], another package would be redundant. And besides, who gives a fig about Universal's profit margins? Best Ofs are never huge sellers anyway. With limited time left in their lifespans, the Stones should be taking chances with new material while there is still fuel in the tank.

Date: September 9, 2012 02:29

MightyStonesStillRollin50
stonesnow
stonesnow
stonesnow
micawber
HopeYouGuessMyName
I am alway looking forward to new songs. So here is the question. Will Universal (and/ or the Stones) be greedy and NOT allow the two songs to be purchased individually on iTunes or will they be creeps and insist that we buy a 3 cd set to pick up two singles? I am aware that I have the freedom to not purchase anything, but I do want the new songs, because as a fan - I know that I will enjoy them!

What'S your suggestion? Mine is clear. They'll suck big time.

I hear they are "killer". Best Stones since Bridges.

MSSR50, I want to thank you for being such a good sport about all my needling comments regarding your being a Stones Inc. insider/secret agent man--after all, I say such things all in the spirit of good fun. I also want to thank you for complimenting me on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread for having such a "fabulous imagination", which, as a creative poet/musician type, I certainly do. I would also like to let you in on the fact that I possess certain psychic abilities as well, because, also on page 3 of the september 4..... what do you expect thread, in my post of September 5, I accurately predicted that you would proclaim the 2 new tracks on GRRR! as "the most brilliant tracks they've recorded since Bulges To Bubble-on", and sure enough, just 38 hours later in your post in this thread on September 6, you did indeed proclaim these 2 new tracks as the "best Stones since Bridges."

So you are indeed an insider--or at least, you know someone who has heard the 2 new tracks before the general public has, because why else would you proclaim songs as "killer" before you've even heard them? That would be putting the cart before the horse. And you're far too shrewd to be putting carts before horses, or counting chickens before they hatch. I like you, MSSR50--the almost unbearably upbeat, unfailingly positive tone of your posts, while appearing to contain a whiff of a certain hidden PR agenda, is most entertaining for sure.

Ah, but that's just my "fabulous imagination" at work again--fabulous, yes, and, as you can see from how my prediction of your "best Stones since Bridges" quote was foretold, also containing a hint of psychic-based truth.... Hey, how do you know I'm not in the room with you right now, unseen?--I could be looking over your shoulder the very moment you are reading this, like an apparition.... BOO! GRRR!

So you are the nervous lil Barney Fife Munchkin (overhead) with the heavy feet! How can one with such little feet make so much noise? And while I have your attention: Stop wasting tax payer dollars shadowing me and catch my stalker! The one who has stolen my identity and ran my cell phone minutes way over limit last month! I know I have a big mouth, but..... Or are you the stalker? Or worse yet, my manager, (sent by Mick) to spy on me to see if I am doing my job as Secret Agent (050) for the Mighty Rolling Stones! You see, we, (you and I) are kindred spirits.

Am I an insider? I am definitely an "outsider" here at IORR. Seem to have a knack for pissing off all the "Anti-Stones" that troll about around here.

Someday, (when the Stones call it quits) I will share all of my secrets.smileys with beer

Well done, MSSR50, a great way of evading the question. Yes, a Stones Inc. insider would certainly technically be an outsider among all us outsiders, as we outsiders are surely not Stones insiders--but let's not let our logic get twisted inside-out. And may you never have occasion to share all of your secrets, as you mentioned above.smiling smiley

You don't need to be an "insider" (or a psychic) to understand the genius of Mick Jagger. A little experience in promotions/marketing, some knowledge of the game of chess, and "a pinch" of common sense, certainly doesn't hurt though. Not saying you are going to hit the bulls-eye every time (when anticipating the "moves" of Jagger) but you should (at least) be able to get your darts somewhere on the board. Provided you possess the before-mentioned assets, of course.

OK, so you work for Mick exclusively. Got it! And regarding marketing as you said above "we should just trust Mick on this one" (regarding the GRRR! design). The others don't care how it's marketed--it's just the Stones, and Mick will take care of the marketing. Yes, got it! Thought we were gaining common ground MSSR50, but I see we're not. And if we're playing chess, then we should not be invisible to one another--otherwise, it would be deceptive, now wouldn't it? Just one other thing--if Mick Jagger is such a genius, marketing-wise and all that, then how come his solo career, all those albums, hasn't hit the dart board one time, let alone come close to a bull's eye?

So let me try and explain this once again. I am not an insider. But that doesn't mean, I, (or you) can't anticipate the moves (or strategies) of Mick Jagger. To understand those moves it probably doesn't hurt to have some experience in marketing/promotions, a knowledge of the game of chess, and a little common sense. Which I do. Doesn't mean I will always be able to anticipate (with one hundred percent accuracy) his next move. But, my darts generally do find the board. Sometimes they find their way to the bulls-eye. There is always just a little bit of deception (it's rough justice on ya)) going on with the Stones and their promotions. I call it RSEF (Rolling Stones Event Foreplay) or RSTF (Rolling Stones Tour Foreplay). It's a bit of a chess match trying to read through the lines and figure out exactly what they are going to do next. It's fun though, especially when you are good at it.smoking smiley

Mick Jagger's solo career is another topic altogether. Maybe you and Doxa can figure that one out? I suggest you read the new book: "Mick: The Mad Genius Of Mick Jagger". You might gain a little respect for the man.

I already have tremendous respect for the man and his talent, his accomplishemts, and what he is still capable of achieving, as well as for all the other Stones past and present. But I am not such a knocked-out sycophantic cheerleader yes-fan type as to praise to the tops of the hills every move they make or every product they put out. Like any good patriot willing to criticize their country when they think it is wrong, I will also take the analytical approach when I think a new release falls short of the mark, including the artwork. We don't need another greatest hits package, it's redundant. New copies of every greatest hits package they ever released, all the concert films, all the vinyl records of all the albums, even Jamming With Edward, it's all available via online mail order. You'll find it all here:

www.cduniverse.com

Posted by: thePenguin ()
Date: September 9, 2012 02:36

it could have been worse...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 9, 2012 02:45

POST DELETED TO LOWER RISK OF BEING BANNED

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 01:14 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 9, 2012 02:49

OMG! I'm literally laughing my ass off!!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 9, 2012 02:50

thePenguin
it could have been worse...

Fantastic.

Date: September 9, 2012 02:55

stonesnow
Jan Richards
stonesnow
Jan Richards

www.cduniverse.com

You are certainly fortunate to live near a record shop. These days, it's either a single big chain outlet, or it's nothing. Anyway, what's wrong with mail ordering through an outlet like CD Universe? Every collection of Stones songs ever released is available--and yes, new! Nothing is out of print in fact--it's all available online, if one knows where to look. Besides, because there are so few record shops these days, the hits packages just take up limited space in the bins. Maybe that's why your local record shop doesn't have a hits package. My main point from my above post was that because every compilation of hits ever released under the Stones name is still in print with new copies available [at least online], another package would be redundant. And besides, who gives a fig about Universal's profit margins? Best Ofs are never huge sellers anyway. With limited time left in their lifespans, the Stones should be taking chances with new material while there is still fuel in the tank.

Done dealsmiling smiley I will unofficially be at MSG for the next unofficial Stones gig and we will share an unofficially bear at Mustang Harry that actually is an official bar rather close to MSG smiling smiley

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: September 9, 2012 03:05

Jan Richards
stonesnow
Jan Richards
stonesnow
Jan Richards

www.cduniverse.com

Done dealsmiling smiley I will unofficially be at MSG for the next unofficial Stones gig and we will share an unofficially bear at Mustang Harry that actually is an official bar rather close to MSG smiling smiley

Autch.This unoficial message is related to another unofficial story

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: September 9, 2012 03:45

Jan Richards

Autch.This unoficial message is related to another unofficial story
unofficially....
winking smiley.... smileys with beer

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: September 9, 2012 04:01

i hate to admit it,but the band has not been relevant for 10 years now.great live show,but no desire to create,sad.

Date: September 9, 2012 04:02

stonesnow
Jan Richards
stonesnow
Jan Richards

www.cduniverse.com

My local record shop has hits packages by just about every artist but the Rolling Stones,
Are these compilation albums you are talking about issued by Universal Records? Is Hot Rocks an original Uníversal Records issue? = no. Is Jump Back originally issued by Universal records? = no. No, they are not. So the current owner of the Stones back cataloge, Universal has to issue the songs again. How can this be so difficult to understand?

I am a car nut so I try to explain the thing through vintage american cars:, if General Motors would start to make a car by the name of Mustang, do you think that GM would be marketing a Mustang???? Don't think so as the brand of Mustang is owned by Ford... Sorry, that was maybe a bit over the top if you do not know cars....
What I am trying to say is that:
If Ford own the brand Mustang (translated to Stones = Virgin owns the 40 Licks), then General Motors cannot sell/market a Mustang =40 Licks (as GM do not own the brand of Mustang)
But GM, General Motors, owns the Camaro (GM being the new owner of Rolling Stones cataloge, they cannot issue Mustang (40 licks) but they have to name the new issue like a GM car (Camaro perhaps) or like in music coorporation world like Universal owned greatest hits GRRRR!

How can this be soooo difficult to understand???? The new ovner of the Stones Back Cataloge has to issue the songs again under the Universal ownership. The next owners of the Stones back cataloge after Universal will do this again in seven years time,(that may be Love Records in Finland) and again after 12 years (that may may Mowtone records i Chicago) and again after 27 years (like STAX records).... That's called business...

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: September 9, 2012 04:11

great penguin.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 9, 2012 04:14

shortfatfanny
just don´t get all this drama about a compilation and its cover...

I've actually stopped caring about the gorilla cover and think it's kind of funny.

It's the issue of the, let's face it, lack of material for a band who now seems to be pretending to exist just to keeo the cah cow muching. The last seven years since they've put out anything, and the 5 years since they've played has allowed a lot of us to actually re-evaluate fandom. Shine A Light was a whole RECESSION ago.

The 50th comes, and here we are going "this is it?".
As for blind fanboys acting wrangy about any kind of critical words about the band; you'll have to take that up with them.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: September 9, 2012 04:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 01:05 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: September 9, 2012 05:34

Haha! I actually like the GRRR version of Emotional Rescue. thumbs up

Date: September 9, 2012 05:59

looked thru my collection again and found a couple more...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-09 06:09 by thePenguin.

Date: September 9, 2012 06:00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 01:04 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 9, 2012 06:02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 01:04 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 9, 2012 06:07

They should have hired The Penguin to do the cover.

Date: September 9, 2012 06:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 01:02 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 9, 2012 06:26

looks like they monkeyed around with some picture sleeves, too.

Date: September 9, 2012 06:30

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 01:02 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 9, 2012 06:37

backstreetboy1
i hate to admit it,but the band has not been relevant for 10 years now.great live show,but no desire to create,sad.

They haven't been relevant since 1968.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: September 9, 2012 06:43

Max'sKansasCity
thePenguin

BWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Penguin - man your amazing! Hilarious. Excellent stuff...rock on smoking smiley

Date: September 9, 2012 06:51

Jan Richards

Horrible logic. UMe can reissue anything they want to. None of the albums are "theirs" except for that 'soundtrack' to that movie. What do you call the two Big Hits and two Hot Rocks albums? Sticky Fingers? Some Girls? Tattoo You?

Jan Richards

Yes there are, you just have to look - or ask. If they bothered to order any. It's usually Hot Rocks and Jump Back. In regards to all of them what you could've said was there's no demand for them. Notice how well anything else sold in the past few years? Dismally. There's just not much interest. Another hits album won't fix that.

Jan Richards

I don't have Miss You and Shattered on DVD, Blu-Ray, Laserdisc or mini-disc... How do you know who the record is for?

Jan Richards

That is correct.

Jan Richards

Let's hope not.

Date: September 9, 2012 07:36

you know what they say about guys with small bananas!?!?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-09 07:45 by thePenguin.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 60

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2081
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home