Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 53
Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2013 00:35

stonesstein
OK, here's to get some real fire going among the Zep-heads. While Zep's 77 US tour was a few years ahead of my time for travel, I have always been a HUGE fan and collector.

For my money, "Achilles' Last Stand" is their finest moment (and WHAT a HUGE moment!) and this is, worlds' away, their finest LP:

Wow...you're the only person I've ever heard of that likes this as their fave Zep album.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 20, 2013 01:07

Well Jimmy Page has said that is his favorite Zep album in a number of interviews. I love Presence and don't understand Zep "fans" who don't revel in its beauty. Achille's Last Stand is brilliant. They are all firing in complete harmony. The live version from Knebworth is incredible!

Date: October 20, 2013 01:14

whitem8
Well Jimmy Page has said that is his favorite Zep album in a number of interviews. I love Presence and don't understand Zep "fans" who don't revel in its beauty. Achille's Last Stand is brilliant. They are all firing in complete harmony. The live version from Knebworth is incredible!

Rubbish. Who is this 'Jimmy Page'...I've never heard of him?

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 20, 2013 01:33

Hots On For Nowhere is an absolutely brilliant track also!!!!!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 20, 2013 03:17

I always thought of Presence as the first downward album in their arc, akin to Goats Head Soup. They'd peaked with Physical Graffiti and now it was going to be a slow descent, just as the Stones had peaked with Exile. Like the Stones they continued being hot on the road for a while. I saw Zep in '77 and though Robert Plant's voice was no longer as strong, the Page & Bonham interplay was still magical.

I also saw Led Zeppelin in 1970. They were incredible both times. At times their dynamics far surpassed the Stones. But the Stones were also much funkier. There seems to be an undercurrent of condescension on the part of the Stones concerning Led Zeppelin. Seems to me they were annoyed, and rightfully so, by one of the few groups that gave them a run for their money, and actually sold more albums a number of times.

The first Led Zeppelin album, regardless of plagiarism, is a singular work of art that shot the blues into outer space. Led Zeppelin seemed built for the short haul, and the Stones for 50 and Counting.

Date: October 20, 2013 07:33

24FPS
I always thought of Presence as the first downward album in their arc, akin to Goats Head Soup. They'd peaked with Physical Graffiti and now it was going to be a slow descent, just as the Stones had peaked with Exile. Like the Stones they continued being hot on the road for a while. I saw Zep in '77 and though Robert Plant's voice was no longer as strong, the Page & Bonham interplay was still magical.

I also saw Led Zeppelin in 1970. They were incredible both times. At times their dynamics far surpassed the Stones. But the Stones were also much funkier. There seems to be an undercurrent of condescension on the part of the Stones concerning Led Zeppelin. Seems to me they were annoyed, and rightfully so, by one of the few groups that gave them a run for their money, and actually sold more albums a number of times.

The first Led Zeppelin album, regardless of plagiarism, is a singular work of art that shot the blues into outer space. Led Zeppelin seemed built for the short haul, and the Stones for 50 and Counting.

Very nicely put.

Date: October 20, 2013 16:55

To me, the first Zep LP is hard to listen to anymore, as (again, for me), it has not aged very well. Don't get me wrong, I love Communication Breakdown, Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You, and Good Times Bad Times, but I never need to hear You Shook Me again.

The Brown Bomber has its moments of incredible stuff, but III is where they reallyg o going with Tangerine, Gallows Pole,a nd Celebration Day. IV is fairly obvious, and then, Houses of the Holy is the closest thing to a Zeppelin pop record. Physical Graffitti is a tour-de-force the likes of which any band would dream of having in the catalog. Sick Again, Trampled Underfooot, Custard Pie, In mY Time of Dying, Black Country Woman, Ten Years Gone, and Kashmir are tracks which would be greatest hits for any band.

And then, Presence. And to me, this LP is the epic of all of their LPs, because each song is wholly different and distinct from all others. Achilles, as I started out saying, happens to be my vote for their finest moment, ever, anywhere. Hots On For Nowhere is an explosion of energy between the members f the band and Percy striving to keep up with them. The vocals alone make this track unreal, let alone the drum and guitar trax. Nobody's Fault But Mine, stolen, yes, but it is SUCH a powerful statement and it rocks out loud. Tea for One, to me, out-"Since I've Been Loving You"'s "Since I've Been Loving You." It is a stunning track of controlled tension and masterful guitar work by Jimmy Page. For Your Life seems like a toss-away, right? Until one recalls that it alone was the resurrected, never-been-done-before track at the 2007 Reunion Show. The band thinks a lot of it, and it rocks heavy, kinda like I or II. Candy Store Rock is Elvis posturing, and Royal Orleans ends the list with a real kick in the pants drive and uplift.

Say what you will, but for me, THIS is the record that I reach for when Zeppelin is desired.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:10

I have not listened to Presence in years I'll have to give it a listen. I do like Achilles. My favorite has always been their first album. I also like III. I have heard IV so often that I don't really care for it although I will admit it was/is a great album that is why I've heard it so much. In Through the Out Door is a fairly good album as well. Maybe if Bonham had lived Zep may have gone in another direction. Though like Hendrix Zep had their time and what a time it was there is nothing in their catalog that you could really say is lousy. The Stones do have some things that are uneven and not as good as other but that will happen over the course of fifty years. Two of the truly great bands of rock and roll.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:16

Aquamarine
(I know I swore to myself I'd keep out of this thread, but) All the initially-blues-based bands that started in this era did that, though, including the Stones. Blues singers/writers themselves weren't too particular about writing credits.

The problem with Zeppelin's legacy is much if not most of their best work is stolen. You can't say that about the Stones.

The Stones covered songs early when everyone was covering songs. Groups really weren't writing their own songs yet. Zep was stealing when others were already writing songs.They stole because they had to. There song writing was weak.

Date: October 20, 2013 17:17

slew
I have not listened to Presence in years I'll have to give it a listen. I do like Achilles. My favorite has always been their first album. I also like III. I have heard IV so often that I don't really care for it although I will admit it was/is a great album that is why I've heard it so much. In Through the Out Door is a fairly good album as well. Maybe if Bonham had lived Zep may have gone in another direction. Though like Hendrix Zep had their time and what a time it was there is nothing in their catalog that you could really say is lousy. The Stones do have some things that are uneven and not as good as other but that will happen over the course of fifty years. Two of the truly great bands of rock and roll.

the one thing about the stones is they were able to evolve, some of the other big acts didn't have to do because they ended at or near their peak.

If the stones had wrapped it up after Exile their catalogue would have been deemed fairly bullet proof.

As it stands, virtually any other band would have been thrilled to pick up after that point, Goats Head Soup-Black and Blue, through Some Girls, Tattoo You, Undercover, Steel Wheels, ABB.

A lot of good material post Exile with the band evolving.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 20, 2013 19:20

Zep 2, Zep 4 and Houses Of The Holy are insane. Physical Graffiti is pretty good - partially because it has leftovers from the HOTH sessions. Disc 1 is absolutely killer.

Presence is a heavy album, and not just musically. Nobody's Fault But Mine is fantastic. It's the sound of a band that's evolved. And tired.

I've always liked Coda. A few leftovers from the ITTOD sessions that easily would have made that album better.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 20, 2013 20:08

stonesstein
And then, Presence. And to me, this LP is the epic of all of their LPs, because each song is wholly different and distinct from all others. Achilles, as I started out saying, happens to be my vote for their finest moment, ever, anywhere. Hots On For Nowhere is an explosion of energy between the members f the band and Percy striving to keep up with them. The vocals alone make this track unreal, let alone the drum and guitar trax. Nobody's Fault But Mine, stolen, yes, but it is SUCH a powerful statement and it rocks out loud. Tea for One, to me, out-"Since I've Been Loving You"'s "Since I've Been Loving You." It is a stunning track of controlled tension and masterful guitar work by Jimmy Page. For Your Life seems like a toss-away, right? Until one recalls that it alone was the resurrected, never-been-done-before track at the 2007 Reunion Show. The band thinks a lot of it, and it rocks heavy, kinda like I or II. Candy Store Rock is Elvis posturing, and Royal Orleans ends the list with a real kick in the pants drive and uplift.

Say what you will, but for me, THIS is the record that I reach for when Zeppelin is desired.

Presence has always been my favorite Zep album for the reasons you mentioned. I especially agree with your comments about "Tea For One" - for me, a better version of "Since I've Been Loving You". I think the songs resonate because of the frenetic conditions in which they were recorded - the sessions lasted less than 3 weeks, recorded in a basement studio during the winter in Munich, plus the challenges related to Plant's condition after his auto accident. It all made for some incredible music, and it's the Zep album I go back to most.

Date: October 20, 2013 20:22

Presence, to my ears, has a lot of repetitious guitar playing. The leads were not as complex. I kept thinking of their logo with Icarus flying too close to the sun. Led Zeppelin had soared incredibly high and now they were coming down. There was nowhere to go after Physical Graffiti.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 21, 2013 01:57

I thought the band peaked with CODA. Unfortunately, by the time CODA was released, the band was no more.

sad smiley

Date: October 21, 2013 04:59

MILKYWAY
I thought the band peaked with CODA................

sad smiley

Well, sure!!!!

Who would dare disagree (after Presence, of course!!!!)

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: October 21, 2013 05:27

Stones by a country mile!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 21, 2013 08:20

24FPS

The first Led Zeppelin album isn't a singular work of art by any means. Jeff Beck provided the blueprint for it on Truth.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 17:09

Yeah, so much of Zep's first album is a direct rip off of Truth. However, that being said, Good Times Bad Times and Communication Breakdown were foretelling of greater things.
I said earlier in the post, Zep was great, yet they just can't come close to the diversity and writing of The Stones. Yes, Zep has some great stuff, but can't come close The Stones 60's and early 70's material. Jagger's lyrics are far superior to Plants hippy Lord of the Rings gnome formula.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 21, 2013 18:40

ab
24FPS

The first Led Zeppelin album isn't a singular work of art by any means. Jeff Beck provided the blueprint for it on Truth.

Ironic isn't it that Page and JP Jones also appeared on Truth.

Date: October 22, 2013 01:04

stonehearted
ab
24FPS

Ironic? Isn't that why they HAD the blueprint?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 22, 2013 01:13

stonehearted

Technically, that's the 'truth', but don't they appear on Beck's Bolero? A track that was recorded a couple of years prior to the LP's release and thus, not part of the Truth sessions.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 22, 2013 01:29

Big Al
stonehearted

Technically, that's the 'truth', but don't they appear on Beck's Bolero? A track that was recorded a couple of years prior to the LP's release and thus, not part of the Truth sessions.

May 1966, very ahead of it's time. cool smiley

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 22, 2013 01:39

Zeppelin is the worlds greatest cover band. Nothing more.

Nobody has done so unique cover versions - too bad they didnt give any credit for the song writers. too bad they dont have any songwriting skilles of their own and all they can do is cover songs/plagiarism.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 22, 2013 03:36

seitan

Nobody has done so unique cover versions - too bad they didnt give any credit for the song writers. too bad they dont have any songwriting skilles of their own and all they can do is cover songs/plagiarism.

They've got plenty of songwriting "skilles"...

Good Times Bad Times
Communication Breakdown
Your Time Is Gonna Come
What Is and What Should Never Be
Thank You
Hearbreaker
Living Loving Maid
Ramble On
Immigrant Song
Celebration Day
Since I've Been Loving You
Tangerine
That's The Way
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Hey Hey What Can I Do
Black Dog
Rock and Roll
The Battle of Evermore
Stairway To Heaven
Misty Mountain Hop
Going to California
The Song Remains The Same
The Rain Song
Over the Hills and Far Away
Dancing Days
The Ocean
The Rover
Houses of the Holy
Trampled Under Foot
Kashmir
In The Light
Down By The Seaside
Ten Years Gone
Night Flight
The Wanton Song
Boogie With Stu
Black Country Woman
Sick Again
Achilles Last Stand
For Your Life
Royal Orleans
Candy Store Rock
Hots On For Nowhere
Tea for One
In The Evening
Fool in the Rain
All My Love
Ozone Baby
I'm Gonna Crawl

Yeah, they ripped off people...but they could write their own stuff, too.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 22, 2013 04:07

Big Al
stonehearted

Yes, i realize that. I was just "stretching" the Truth a bit.smiling smiley

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 22, 2013 05:33

Jah Paul
seitan

They've got plenty of songwriting "skilles"...

Good Times Bad Times
Communication Breakdown
Your Time Is Gonna Come
What Is and What Should Never Be
Thank You
Hearbreaker
Living Loving Maid
Ramble On
Immigrant Song
Celebration Day
Since I've Been Loving You
Tangerine
That's The Way
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Hey Hey What Can I Do
Black Dog
Rock and Roll
The Battle of Evermore
Stairway To Heaven
Misty Mountain Hop
Going to California
The Song Remains The Same
The Rain Song
Over the Hills and Far Away
Dancing Days
The Ocean
The Rover
Houses of the Holy
Trampled Under Foot
Kashmir
In The Light
Down By The Seaside
Ten Years Gone
Night Flight
The Wanton Song
Boogie With Stu
Black Country Woman
Sick Again
Achilles Last Stand
For Your Life
Royal Orleans
Candy Store Rock
Hots On For Nowhere
Tea for One
In The Evening
Fool in the Rain
All My Love
Ozone Baby
I'm Gonna Crawl

Yeah, they ripped off people...but they could write their own stuff, too.

thumbs up

Date: October 22, 2013 06:25

ab
24FPS

It is to my ears. It's like saying Sgt. Pepper wasn't a singular work of art because of Pet Sounds. Led Zeppelin kicked it all up a notch in the ears of the general public.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 22, 2013 10:09

24FPS

It is to my ears. It's like saying Sgt. Pepper wasn't a singular work of art because of Pet Sounds. Led Zeppelin kicked it all up a notch in the ears of the general public.

The production is quite a step above that found on Truth.

Truth and LZI being similar is understandible given that Beck and Page were friends and on a partly shared similar musical path since they met.

There's similarities between their playing and sounds throughout the sixties. They both found the sound of their post Yarbirds bands during Beck's Bolero session. Dynamic fuzzy blues with a heavy rhythm section.

Truth and LZI are both ace!

cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 10:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 10:53

His Majesty
24FPS

The production is quite a step above that found on Truth.

Truth and LZI being similar is understandible given that Beck and Page were friends and on a partly shared similar musical path since they met.

There's similarities between their playing and sounds throughout the sixties. They both found the sound of their post Yarbirds bands during Beck's Bolero session. Dynamic fuzzy blues with a heavy rhythm section.

Truth and LZI are both ace!

cool smiley

Mmmm, I think one of Jeff's greatest efforts is that he kept on developing in the 7-tees and onwards : Blow by Blow, Wired, and later Beck's Guitar shop. He didn't doze off, like most of the 6-tees heroes.

Date: October 22, 2013 10:54

There were similarities between lots of the british bands that rocked up their blues sound around this time.

Cream should be mentioned in this context as well.

BTW, LZ I is imo their best album. There are some nice cuts on Presence, but (like with GHS) the atmosphere is a bit lazy, and the sound is dry and boring, imo. Some interesting things going on on Achilles' Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine, though.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home