Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 53
Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:13

Its all subjective. I like the Stones a lot more than I like LZ but LZ was a huge force in the 70's they were a great band. I would state that even if they were not to my own tastes. I do like LZ but I go through phases where Plant's voice grates on me. I like their mellow songs better than the rockers. LZ III is my favorite from them. The Stones I never tire of I think the Stones are more divers than LZ. I have to say I think the Beatles are the best band ever regardless of my personal likes and dislikes.

Nirvan on a list of all time great bands is ridiculous. Sure what they put out was good and they were pronmising but Cobain died and the output can not put them anywhere near the top of any list. Hell I would say Foreigner was a better band than Nirvana. Nirvana is like JFK as president had he lived..............He could have done great things he had promise but he also could have mis-calculated and caused a nuclear war as he damn near did once. Cobain and Nirvana put out Nevermind and this puts them in some mythical stratosphere somehow because of what could have been. What could have been could also have been the complete depths of drug addiction which he already was in and he may never have pulled out of it especially being with Courtney Love. It kind of makes me laugh.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:29

I was surprised to learn that LZ has sold more records than the Stones.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:36

It's all in the ear of the beholder....no rights or wrongs! cool smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 26, 2013 08:29

jazzbass

7' singles??? confused smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2013 09:09

Oh, I see JAZZBASS, I came to see your idea of a great thread. Keep tweeting.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 26, 2013 12:08

slew
I do like LZ but I go through phases where Plant's voice grates on me.

I have problems listening to his voice after his throat operation... he lost power and range at some point during Houses of the Holy and definitely by Physical Graffitii.

That's what you get for opening concerts with Immigrant Song and no warm up I suppose.

The first 4 albums are awesome.

Led Zep III acoustic is brilliant.

They were arguably 1970-1974 the greatest live Rock n Roll band in the world.

So were the Stones during the same period (Mick Taylor gave them that extra gravitas).

Both at the top of their (or anyone's) game.

Date: April 26, 2013 12:27

Come On
jazzbass

7' singles??? confused smiley

yes zeppelin has outsold the stones

Date: April 26, 2013 12:37

Not on singles winking smiley

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 26, 2013 12:51

Yeah Floyd was derivative. They were a Beatles/Stones/Dylan copy done originally via Syd Barrett whom I totally love. The writing was a different but basically they were derivative. They looked up to their heros the Beatles and the Stones. 5 years after the Beatles and Stones first appeared. So yes of course!

As for Jerry Lee, yes you have a point there.

I could also say Howling Wolf and Muddy Waters too maybe.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 26, 2013 12:55

Zeppelin's main strength was Jimmy Page. He is a very good guitarist. As for the rest, the Stones are superior, Jagger is a better vocalist than Plant and Charlie Watts' beat with Wyman rolls. On the other hand, Zeppelin did not have as much time to develope as the Stones.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 26, 2013 13:05

Naturalust

Here is my short take on No Quarter. Indians in the video are Nez Pierce travelling through the Missoula valley in Montana where I grew up. Those squaws in the last picture look formidable enough that I thought it a good match for this tune. peace

Strange and evocative, I like how it evolves and glimpses of melody creep up out from the eerie haze.

smileys with beer

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: April 26, 2013 14:02

I'm a Stone fan in 100% but c'mon don't tell me Charlie is better than Bohnam. Probably only Keith Moon was close to him.

Date: April 26, 2013 15:10

Charlie is technically not as good, he's quite a limited drummer really, but Bonham is very over rated imo. Too heavy handed and far too much over playing etc for my liking.

Date: April 26, 2013 15:21

thrak
I'm a Stone fan in 100% but c'mon don't tell me Charlie is better than Bohnam. Probably only Keith Moon was close to him.

Alone, behind the kit - without a band - you're probably right about Bonham (not Moon - he had severe timing issues).

Charlie's strengths surpasses most drummers when he's playing WITH the Wonky Wobblin' Stones thumbs up

Date: April 26, 2013 15:36

DandelionPowderman
thrak

Alone, behind the kit - without a band - you're probably right about Bonham (not Moon - he had severe timing issues).

Charlie's strengths surpasses most drummers when he's playing WITH the Wonky Wobblin' Stones thumbs up

Yes.. Charlie is perfect for the Stones.

Bonham was perfect for Zep.

Celebrate both.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 26, 2013 16:38

Glam Descendant
keefriffhard4life
nightskyman
Nirvana ahead of the Beatles?

yeah why is nirvana even on that list

Because it's basti's list of his favorites and he can put whatever he likes. Not everyone chooses to follow the Classic Rock Common opinion cliche thank goodness .

I guess I'm one of them who follows 'Classic Rock,' though I don't have anything against Nirvana or anyone who chooses to listen to Nirvana. I never really got into them but I do look David Grohl's Foo Fighters (hard rocking stuff!). cool smiley

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: April 26, 2013 18:13

Anyway Charlie is great drummer. Different kind than Bohnam.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:05

thrak

Just because a drummer doesn't bang the drums like a maniac doesn't mean he isn't as good. The Stones and Beatles didn't have the kind of songs that called for that kind of drumming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 20:05 by FrankM.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:53

FrankM
thrak

Just because a drummer doesn't bang the drums like a maniac doesn't mean he isn't as good. The Stones and Beatles didn't have the kind of songs that called for that kind of drumming.

Agreed.

"The drummer is...a maniac" - might have fit in nicely as lyric on Torn and Frayed.

Date: April 26, 2013 20:57

Hairball
FrankM
thrak

Agreed.

"The drummer is...a maniac" - might have fit in nicely as lyric on Torn and Frayed.

what you have to look at. could bonham play a stones song even if some swing is missing? yes. could watts play a led zeppelin song even if some power is missing? nope

Date: April 26, 2013 21:05

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
FrankM
thrak

Agreed.

what you have to look at. could bonham play a stones song even if some swing is missing? yes. could watts play a led zeppelin song even if some power is missing? nope

If Watts can play a garbage can and make it sound good he can play anything.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: April 26, 2013 21:08

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
FrankM
thrak

Agreed.

Charlie has managed to avoid wanky over playing for all of his career and he is the better human being so Charlie for the win! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 21:15 by His Majesty.

Date: April 26, 2013 21:55

FrankM
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
FrankM
thrak

Agreed.

in over 50 years watts has never shown that he can play any songs that have the speed or complex pattern as most zeppelin tunes

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 26, 2013 22:17

keefriffhard4life
FrankM
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
FrankM
thrak

Agreed.

in over 50 years watts has never shown that he can play any songs that have the speed or complex pattern as most zeppelin tunes

I'm going to have to agree. Stones music isn't exactly that demanding.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 26, 2013 22:38

keefriffhard4life
FrankM
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
FrankM
thrak

Agreed.

The Stones had different kinds of songs than LZ. Their songs were good enough on their own and didn't require complex drum arrangements to arouse people that thought louder and faster drums were better drums.

The Stones didn't feature the drummer the way LZ did. Doesn't make Watts any less of a drummer.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 26, 2013 22:55

FrankM
keefriffhard4life
FrankM
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
FrankM
thrak

Agreed.

The Stones had different kinds of songs than LZ. Their songs were good enough on their own and didn't require complex drum arrangements to arouse people that thought louder and faster drums were better drums.

The Stones didn't feature the drummer the way LZ did. Doesn't make Watts any less of a drummer.

Yeah, I don't think Bonham was any better than other 'power' drummers from the same era. Perhaps he became the most notorious, because he was in LZ. But even so, I think the main thing LZ was known for long term was Jimmy Page (and the piercing howl of Robert Plant).

Date: April 26, 2013 23:30

Er... Charlie has a jazz band.

Complex?

Charlie is perfect for the Stones.

I wouldn't want any other drummer.

Ever.

Date: April 27, 2013 03:26

Michael Giles, he of mastery of power, subtlety and swing, is better and more original than both Watts and Bonham though...

... and King Crimson 1969 was better than both the stones and zep. grinning smiley

Hail the kings of 1969!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-27 03:29 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 27, 2013 04:41

>Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones, Dylan, Jimi Hendrix: this was the recipe for all that followed.

Ever heard the Velvet Underground?

>The Stones were the first band to have a front man.

That's a bizarre assertion. The Temptations? The Miracles? The Four Seasons? I'm pretty sure even Gerry and the Pacemakers had a front man.

Date: April 27, 2013 09:13

Glam Descendant
>Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones, Dylan, Jimi Hendrix: this was the recipe for all that followed.

Ever heard the Velvet Underground?

>The Stones were the first band to have a front man.

That's a bizarre assertion. The Temptations? The Miracles? The Four Seasons? I'm pretty sure even Gerry and the Pacemakers had a front man.

Freddy and the Dreamers.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home