Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 53
Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 19, 2012 01:52

FrankM
BluzDude
I think it's only natural that there may be more diversity in the sense you are talking about Justin when you have released 5 times as much material over a career. (unless you are a band like AC/DC or Social Distortion)

Finally you agree with me.

Yes, that I can agree on.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 19, 2012 01:52

BluzDude
You are when I did and you ignore it

Sorry, the argument you made was pretty lame I guess.

Date: July 19, 2012 01:53

FrankM
BluzDude
You are when I did and you ignore it

Sorry, the argument you made was pretty lame I guess.

Explain if you will

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 19, 2012 01:54

Rain Song was a good song. Very 70's dramatic. [You are the sunlight in my growing].

I was the guy at the guitar store surrounded by dudes playing Stairway. I ripped into Rain Song and nobody else could do it. Those were the days. [Naturalust are you listening?]

But Brown Sugar was true rock.

Some of Zeps stuff was kind of Dungeons and Dragons...

Date: July 19, 2012 01:56

BluzDude
FrankM
BluzDude
I think it's only natural that there may be more diversity in the sense you are talking about Justin when you have released 5 times as much material over a career. (unless you are a band like AC/DC or Social Distortion)

OK we'll agree to agree.

Date: July 19, 2012 01:57

FrankM
BluzDude
FrankM
BluzDude

OK we'll agree to agree.

On this point yes.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 19, 2012 02:00

BluzDude

Very true...BUT at least with the country examples above, all those tunes were released during a ten year period...which I believe was how long LZ existed as well.

But then we're being led into a touchy subject here...are we saying that the Stones should be held accountable for their long career and the only "fair" measuring stick to compare them to any band, like LZ, is to constantly limit it to ten year spans when discussing both bands?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 19, 2012 02:03

What are we debating here? Is there really a crown of rock and roll?

Date: July 19, 2012 02:05

Stoneage
What are we debating here? Is there really a crown of rock and roll?

Yes. But its taken.
This is to debate who gets the crumbs

Date: July 19, 2012 02:09

Justin
But then we're being led into a touchy subject here...are we saying that the Stones should be held accountable for their long career and the only "fair" measuring stick to compare them to any band, like LZ, is to constantly limit it to ten year spans when discussing both bands?

You are right, it is touchy and wouldn't be fair to either group in my opinion. It is also my opinion that if Bonham had not died, the band's sound would have conitnued to evolve and the evidence of that is (like it or hate it) how different In Through the Out Door was (again IMO) from the past.

Date: July 19, 2012 02:09

Really, though, it's The Beatles that reign supreme. How this is even a option to "argue" about will never make sense.

Date: July 19, 2012 02:12

BluzDude
It is also my opinion that if Bonham had not died, the band's sound would have conitnued to evolve and the evidence of that is (like it or hate it) how different In Through the Out Door was (again IMO).

I dig that album and appreciate its variety.

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Really, though, it's The Beatles that reign supreme. How this is even a option to "argue" about will never make sense.

Your statement is leading and I will not have it.
None of the Beatles were crowned, therefore not reigning anything.

oh and its a'n' option

Munichhilton
Stoneage
What are we debating here? Is there really a crown?

Yes. But its taken.

yes, King Joffrey sits on the Iron Throne (spoiler alert) until he dies.

Date: July 19, 2012 02:14

When will someone put up a Led Zeppelin vs The Who thread? You almost never see one of those. This LZ vs Stones stuff is kindergarten stuff. I'd like to see some good disputes between LZ and The Who. That I think is fairer match up, imho.

Justin
BluzDude
It is also my opinion that if Bonham had not died, the band's sound would have conitnued to evolve and the evidence of that is (like it or hate it) how different In Through the Out Door was (again IMO).

I actually think that was their weakest album but it does have my favorite Zeppelin song (All My Love).

Munichhilton
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

oh and its a'n' option

Nope.

This silly thread has gone on far too long. The Beatles it is and The Beatles it will always be. Let it be, Munich, let it beeeeeeeeee. There is no option, let it be-ee-ee-EEEEEEE!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 19, 2012 02:16

FrankM
Justin
BluzDude

I actually think that was their weakest album but it does have my favorite Zeppelin song (All My Love).

Funnily enough, I really like the album, and yet find All My Love the weakest track.

Date: July 19, 2012 02:19

FrankM
... but it does have my favorite Zeppelin song (All My Love).

There's is an alternative and longer version of that song out there which I find interesting...it is missing the lead guitar.

Date: July 19, 2012 02:21

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Munichhilton
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

oh and its a'n' option

Nope.

This silly thread has gone on far too long. The Beatles it is and The Beatles it will always be. Let it be, Munich, let it beeeeeeeeee. There is no option, let it be-ee-ee-EEEEEEE!

Shucks...you do have a fantastic voice, I'll give you that.
Can you try Separate Ways....c'mon just once.

Date: July 19, 2012 02:22

Justin
When will someone put up a Led Zeppelin vs The Who thread? You almost never see one of those. This LZ vs Stones stuff is kindergarten stuff. I'd like to see some good disputes between LZ and The Who. That I think is fairer match up, imho.

lol pete townshend destroys LZ

Date: July 19, 2012 02:25

There's actually A LOT of mileage in such a discussion. Songwriting, musicianship, better drummer/singer/guitar/bass etc etc. And while we're at it...why not Led Zeppelin vs The Beatles? Have the two top bands that apparently "smoke" the Stones behind their coattails go up for a round or two?

The Beatles vs Rolling Stones or The Rolling Stones vs Led Zeppelin debates...amateur hour, if you ask me.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 19, 2012 02:26

Wouldn't the fact that Jagger is knighted decide the matter. The Stones are definitely closer to the crown. Some other artists have already been crowned:

King of pop - Michael Jackson
Queen of pop - Madonna
Prince of funk - Prince
Duke of jazz - Duke Ellington
Count of jazz - Count Basie

Date: July 19, 2012 02:27

keefriffhard4life
Justin

lol pete townshend destroys LZ

Again a personal opinion, I saw the Who 3 times in the Keith Moon era. Enjoyed all the shows, but even with their moving around and great music, to me it was like watching wind-up-dolls in concert. Didn't have the same attachment as LZ.

I am not debating the music here, just my experience from their live performances.

Date: July 19, 2012 02:33

Stoneage
Wouldn't the fact that Jagger is knighted decide the matter. The Stones are definitely closer to the crown. Some other artists have already been crowned:

King of pop - Michael Jackson
Queen of pop - Madonna
Prince of funk - Prince
Duke of jazz - Duke Ellington
Count of jazz - Count Basie

Do I have to do EVERYTHING around here.
There is only 1 king of rock n roll

Date: July 19, 2012 02:33

Date: July 19, 2012 02:34

"I see a change...has come into our lives...and it's not the same as it used to be..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-19 02:34 by Justin.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 19, 2012 02:40

Munichhilton
Rain Song was a good song. Very 70's dramatic. [You are the sunlight in my growing].

I was the guy at the guitar store surrounded by dudes playing Stairway. I ripped into Rain Song and nobody else could do it. Those were the days. [Naturalust are you listening?]

Hear you loud and clear munichhilton! The Rain Song is still one that has lasted in my live repertoir, although I usually play it as an instrumental. The music is so damn good it carries the tune with or without singing/lyrics. Although I did get a request from a 20 year old kid from Indiana last weeked to play Stairway...I played the intro, first verse, all the way to she makes me wonder and then quickly morphed into something else..lol

I heard that Jimmy Page wrote and performed that song is some strange tuning, maybe DADGAD or a bastardization of it. I learned it and continue to play it in standard tuning. You too? peace

Date: July 19, 2012 02:44

Justin
"I see a change...has come into our lives...and it's not the same as it used to be..."

Little pitchy...can you try again?

Date: July 19, 2012 02:46

Naturalust
Munichhilton

Hear you loud and clear munichhilton! The Rain Song is still one that has lasted in my live repertoir, although I usually play it as an instrumental. The music is so damn good it carries the tune with or without singing/lyrics. Although I did get a request from a 20 year old kid from Indiana last weeked to play Stairway...I played the intro, first verse, all the way to she makes me wonder and then quickly morphed into something else..lol

I heard that Jimmy Page wrote and performed that song is some strange tuning, maybe DADGAD or a bastardization of it. I learned it and continue to play it in standard tuning. You too? peace

Yeah standard tuning from the beginning, but after a few cold ones I figured out his dadgad playing and it was just too much of a pain.

Ignorance was bliss. You figure out waht you need to in standard and it works fine in this case!

Kashmir also in dadgad [as I'm certain you know] I never figured out how to play that one in standard.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home