Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 53
Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: July 24, 2013 19:29

Led Zeppelin didn't even write their songs. They are constantly being sued for plagerism.

Posted by: opentuning ()
Date: July 24, 2013 19:39

IrisC
Led Zeppelin didn't even write their songs. They are constantly being sued for plagerism.

Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit.

On their earlier albums, yes, they did copy a good amount of material. I therefore regard Led Zeppelin as one of the greatest-perhaps the greatest-cover bands of all times. Of course it bothers me that they didn't give the propper credit that was due, and it can't be excused, but what they did with the material that they copied was so darn good that I love it nonetheless.

HOWEVER- On there later albums, they wrote almost everything themselves. Kashmire. Ten Years Gone. The Rain Song. These songs are masterpieces and in my opinion are in legue with even the best materials the Stones have written. This proves that Led Zeppelin are also master songwriters and original artists.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 24, 2013 20:21

opentuning
IrisC

On their earlier albums, yes, they did copy a good amount of material. I therefore regard Led Zeppelin as one of the greatest-perhaps the greatest-cover bands of all times.

Just replace the expression "cover bands" with the correct expression "copyright infringers" and there you have it.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 24, 2013 20:50

It is not a fair comparison...two very different types of bands. Both bands had great song writers and great musicians, both bands come from the UK, both bands made a lot of money, both bands had their roots in the blues, Elvis and CHuck Berry, both bands enjoyed groupies, drugs, smashing up american hotels. Both bands had members who dabbled in the occult. After that they are very very different. Zeppelin never released a single in the UK, they could have done and made many millions more by doing so weren't completely money driven. I love both groups but have never thought of one above the other, they moved at slightly different times in terms of their popularity and maybe 75/76 they came near to being at a similar level, but by then Punk was creeping in and such bands were starting to lose their foothold and be viewed by the yoof as dinosaurs.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 24, 2013 21:21

We can say whom we prefer (I personally don't really care about Led Zep) but there is no point arguing who is better.

It's like with food. Wel all have our personal preference and no amount of discussion will makes us to change it.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 24, 2013 21:31

opentuning
IrisC

On their earlier albums, yes, they did copy a good amount of material. I therefore regard Led Zeppelin as one of the greatest-perhaps the greatest-cover bands of all times. Of course it bothers me that they didn't give the propper credit that was due, and it can't be excused, but what they did with the material that they copied was so darn good that I love it nonetheless.

HOWEVER- On there later albums, they wrote almost everything themselves. Kashmire. Ten Years Gone. The Rain Song. These songs are masterpieces and in my opinion are in legue with even the best materials the Stones have written. This proves that Led Zeppelin are also master songwriters and original artists.

One must never forget the perfection of The Rover or Trampled Underfoot...great songwriting...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 24, 2013 21:31

Alright, Stones vs Zeppelin...

Where would the fight take place? would it be an 8-person bar brawl?
I'd like to see a UFC-type event, personally.

Round 1 - (jason) BONHAM vs WOOD - the non-original band members arm themselves with insults about each other culled from various music forums...
Round 1 - WATTS vs JONES - the smell of blood sweat, linen and lavender!
Round 2 - RICHARDS vs PAGE - 5-stings vs 18 on a double neck!!
MAIN EVENT - JAGGER vs PLANT - Monkey Man and The Golden Adonis... from their luxurious seats (while their egos bash each other about)!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-24 21:33 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: July 24, 2013 22:14

Dear opentuning. Bullshit bullshit bullshit. On their early stuff. WTF. Thats ok? Its ok to say you wrote something you didn't? What are you smoking? Send some to Connecticut. Me and Keith would love some of that shit!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 24, 2013 22:33

jamesfdouglas

Round 1 - (jason) BONHAM vs WOOD - the non-original band members arm themselves with insults about each other culled from various music forums...
MAIN EVENT - JAGGER vs PLANT - Monkey Man and The Golden Adonis... from their luxurious seats (while their egos bash each other about)!!!

I love it!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 24, 2013 22:52

LZ somehow cornered the junior high acne prone crowd.they didn't feel the need
to tell this audience they stole and copied most of what they recorded.

Posted by: opentuning ()
Date: July 24, 2013 22:53

IrisC
Dear opentuning. Bullshit bullshit bullshit. On their early stuff. WTF. Thats ok? Its ok to say you wrote something you didn't? What are you smoking? Send some to Connecticut. Me and Keith would love some of that shit!

I never said it was ok. But I can still enjoy the music, can't I?

My "bullshit" accusations were in response to the implication that Led Zeppelin coppied all their music, which they didn't. (I'm still not saying it's ok. But I want the point to be made that they had creativity and songriting talents of their own despite their plagiarisms)

Date: July 24, 2013 23:11

ow do you compare two bands that are completely different?

Date: July 24, 2013 23:40

Opentuning don't mean to be disrespectful. I dig Zep. Saw them at MSG in 1977. I just can't understand why they wouldn't acknowledge the song writers on many songs. What's equally as disturbing is they took writing credits for many of these songs. Having said that Jimmy Page to me is one cool cat. Wish I could play guitar like he does. Oh well. I still place Stones at the top of my list.

Date: July 24, 2013 23:42

IrisC
Opentuning don't mean to be disrespectful. I dig Zep. Saw them at MSG in 1977. I just can't understand why they wouldn't acknowledge the song writers on many songs. What's equally as disturbing is they took writing credits for many of these songs. Having said that Jimmy Page to me is one cool cat. Wish I could play guitar like he does. Oh well. I still place Stones at the top of my list.

plant, who now admits to knocking off stuff, once said copyright law was different back then and they thought they were paying little tributes to their heros by incorporating lyrics from artists they loved into songs.

jimmy page however still to this day acts like the band didn't do anything wrong

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 25, 2013 01:36

All bands did the same thing during the British Blues Boom. Even the Stones have had to go back and revise some of their credits. Of course it's right to give credit where it's due, but I still don't see how that affects the music.

crumbling_mice
It is not a fair comparison...two very different types of bands. Both bands had great song writers and great musicians, both bands come from the UK, both bands made a lot of money, both bands had their roots in the blues, Elvis and CHuck Berry, both bands enjoyed groupies, drugs, smashing up american hotels. Both bands had members who dabbled in the occult. After that they are very very different. Zeppelin never released a single in the UK, they could have done and made many millions more by doing so weren't completely money driven. I love both groups but have never thought of one above the other, they moved at slightly different times in terms of their popularity and maybe 75/76 they came near to being at a similar level, but by then Punk was creeping in and such bands were starting to lose their foothold and be viewed by the yoof as dinosaurs.

This is the correct answer.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 25, 2013 01:37

Collect 'em all.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 25, 2013 02:14

Two totally different bands.

Both great for different reasons.

IMHO, the Stones have a much deeper catalog of great songs.

Zep was more "experimental", Jimmy Paige a phenom.

They both cast huge shadows.

Date: July 25, 2013 02:16

I'd agree, though of course Zep were only around for 11 years, so inevitably their catalog is smaller.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 25, 2013 02:25

opentuning
IrisC

Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit.

Everyone knows the greatest era of Zeppelin was 69-71. We know know they stole most of that music..That would be like finding out the Stones stole most of their 68-72 out put. Their reputation would be destroyed like Zeppelin's should be because of what they did.

Here is Zeppelin's career..Stole most of the stuff from their first 4 albums which are their best.

5th album not very good.

6th album good and the only decent thing they ever did without ripping off others.

7th album..Sucked big time

8th album very average at best.

Code sucked big time. Not the career of someone who would be even compared to the Stones.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 25, 2013 02:28

opentuning
IrisC

I never said it was ok. But I can still enjoy the music, can't I?

My "bullshit" accusations were in response to the implication that Led Zeppelin coppied all their music, which they didn't. (I'm still not saying it's ok. But I want the point to be made that they had creativity and songriting talents of their own despite their plagiarisms)

So did every band who ever lived. The point is Zeppelin didn't create a lot of good music on their own..Not in the same league a the Stones.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 25, 2013 02:34

I think these comparisions are dumb. >grinning smiley<

Date: July 25, 2013 03:09

There's also a whole lot of majorly uninformed commentary in this thread, so I'm bowing out.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 25, 2013 03:30

Aquamarine
There's also a whole lot of majorly uninformed commentary in this thread, so I'm bowing out.

I wish that weren't true...but it is...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2013 03:50

pinkfloydthebarber
ow do you compare two bands that are completely different?

I dunno, 'ow do you compare two bands that are completely different?

Date: July 25, 2013 03:53

Yeah, these are two great bands...should not be compared.

The real losers are the beatles and pink floyd.

Thank goodness we can choose to hate their stuff, to prove our undying love to the stones.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 25, 2013 03:55

I don't blame BV for deleting topics...its fun to see what the thread starts out talking about and what it digresses into...there should be say a 100 post limit on any topic...once that number is reached delete them!smiling smiley

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 25, 2013 03:57

Duh! This is a Stones site, I have never visited, much less joined a Zep site. They bore me with heavy handedness and bombast.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 25, 2013 04:00

custom55

Me too. Back to the FIGHT!

ROUND 1 - Woody takes a drumstick to the groin...

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 25, 2013 04:03

jamesfdouglas
custom55

Me too. Back to the FIGHT!

ROUND 1 - Woody takes a drumstick to the groin...

That's one hit to the body, one straight from the heart...with Jimmy Page on guitar.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 25, 2013 07:45

jazzbass
jamesfdouglas

I love it!

Certainly Ronnie would have said that HE was lined up to replace John...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1956
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home