Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 53
Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: bluesno1fann ()
Date: October 22, 2013 12:15

The Rolling Stones.
The Stones, The Beatles, and The Beach Boys are easily the three greatest bands of the 60's. The holy trinity, you can say.
Closely followed are The Who, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, and Led Zeppelin.

I do think that Zeppelin is slightly overrated. But to be totally honest, I don't have any problems with the band itself (other than all their plagiarisms). It's the hardcore fans that piss me off. They're so arrogant it's unbearable.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 22, 2013 12:19

bluesno1fann
I don't have any problems with the band itself (other than all their plagiarisms). It's the hardcore fans that piss me off. They're so arrogant it's unbearable.

Yep! I noticed that also on this forum!!

Date: October 22, 2013 13:30

svt22
His Majesty
24FPS

It is to my ears. It's like saying Sgt. Pepper wasn't a singular work of art because of Pet Sounds. Led Zeppelin kicked it all up a notch in the ears of the general public.

The production is quite a step above that found on Truth.

Truth and LZI being similar is understandible given that Beck and Page were friends and on a partly shared similar musical path since they met.

There's similarities between their playing and sounds throughout the sixties. They both found the sound of their post Yarbirds bands during Beck's Bolero session. Dynamic fuzzy blues with a heavy rhythm section.

Truth and LZI are both ace!

cool smiley

Mmmm, I think one of Jeff's greatest efforts is that he kept on developing in the 7-tees and onwards : Blow by Blow, Wired, and later Beck's Guitar shop. He didn't doze off, like most of the 6-tees heroes.

agreed about beck. he is still trying to push himself and come up with something new

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 22, 2013 16:15

24FPS
ab
24FPS
The first Led Zeppelin album, regardless of plagiarism, is a singular work of art that shot the blues into outer space. Led Zeppelin seemed built for the short haul, and the Stones for 50 and Counting.

The first Led Zeppelin album isn't a singular work of art by any means. Jeff Beck provided the blueprint for it on Truth.

It is to my ears. It's like saying Sgt. Pepper wasn't a singular work of art because of Pet Sounds. Led Zeppelin kicked it all up a notch in the ears of the general public.

Pet Sounds was and remains a piece of shit too.

Date: October 22, 2013 16:28

What does Pet Sounds have to do with Sgt Pepper, except for Wilson admitting he was inspired by Rubber Soul when making it??

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 22, 2013 16:32

DandelionPowderman
What does Pet Sounds have to do with Sgt Pepper, except for Wilson admitting he was inspired by Rubber Soul when making it??

because Paul McCartney admitted being inspired by Pet Sounds when making Sgt. Pepper.

Date: October 22, 2013 16:36

GasLightStreet
24FPS
ab
24FPS
The first Led Zeppelin album, regardless of plagiarism, is a singular work of art that shot the blues into outer space. Led Zeppelin seemed built for the short haul, and the Stones for 50 and Counting.

The first Led Zeppelin album isn't a singular work of art by any means. Jeff Beck provided the blueprint for it on Truth.

come on skippy...you gotta love it, if only for Sloop John B!

Good background on Pet Sounds here skip...if you want to ejumacate yoself!:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: October 22, 2013 16:44

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

because Paul McCartney admitted being inspired by Pet Sounds when making Sgt. Pepper.

Full circle, then? smiling smiley

Date: October 22, 2013 16:53

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

true...I'm not even making that up either!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 22, 2013 17:25

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

I wonder what inspired Rubber Soul?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 22, 2013 17:35

2000 LYFH

Dylan and pot and shankar etc.

Date: October 22, 2013 17:45

2000 LYFH
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

That has to be the Beatles best album title by the way.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 22, 2013 18:11

GasLightStreet
24FPS
ab
24FPS

The audience, and myself, who sat through the entire album, delivered live by Brian Wilson with Al Jardine and other great musicians two nights ago at the Greek might beg to differ. It was wonderful. If Led Zeppelin's 1st, and Pet Sounds are pieces of shit to you, I feel very lucky that my ears enjoy them immensely. Thank you ears for turning shit into gold.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: October 22, 2013 19:35

Love Zeppelin, always will but Stones music to me has soul, it is not just rock but includes the roll.

Date: October 22, 2013 23:25

His Majesty
2000 LYFH

Trips in the woods of Norway? winking smiley

Date: October 23, 2013 02:15

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
2000 LYFH

Trips in the woods of Norway? winking smiley

Isn't it good?

Posted by: bluesno1fann ()
Date: October 23, 2013 02:41

GasLightStreet
24FPS
ab
24FPS

How can you not like one of the greatest albums of all time?!

Date: October 23, 2013 04:22

bluesno1fann
GasLightStreet
24FPS
ab
24FPS

chronic ear wax has been a lifelong problem for skippy.

Date: October 23, 2013 16:29

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
ab
24FPS

Good background on Pet Sounds here skip...if you want to ejumacate yoself!

I've listened to it. It's crap. I don't get it. I don't get how it inspired The Beatles and I don't get how it's such a highy revered LP.

Date: October 23, 2013 16:30

bluesno1fann
GasLightStreet
24FPS
ab
24FPS

Because I can?

AHEM:

Because I can.

Wait.

Because I do.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 23, 2013 21:16

I think it's really great that John Paul Jones has an arena named after him in Virginia. Is there a Bill Wyman arena anywhere in the US?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 23, 2013 21:44

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
ab
24FPS

I've listened to it. It's crap. I don't get it. I don't get how it inspired The Beatles and I don't get how it's such a highy revered LP.

Well, it did inspire the Beatles, that's a fact. So, should we consider your ears suspect from hear on out? Give us some other obvious classic albums you hate that everybody loves. Dark Side of the Moon the product of hacks?

Date: October 23, 2013 22:30

24FPS
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
ab
24FPS

Well, it did inspire the Beatles, that's a fact. So, should we consider your ears suspect from hear on out? Give us some other obvious classic albums you hate that everybody loves. Dark Side of the Moon the product of hacks?

Hey, everyone is allowed a couple of questionable calls.

I actually don't have a lot of love for the Beach Boys, I don't like a lot of the music but this album does stand on it's own.

Date: October 24, 2013 03:43

BluzDude
I think it's really great that John Paul Jones has an arena named after him in Virginia. Is there a Bill Wyman arena anywhere in the US?

lol. not the same JPJ

Date: October 24, 2013 04:17

24FPS
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
24FPS
ab
24FPS

You need to read The Phantom Tollbooth.

Date: October 24, 2013 04:20

24FPS
Well, it did inspire the Beatles, that's a fact.

Yes, I am aware of that fact. However, upon several listenings to it I can not fathom one iota of sense as to HOW it did.

Other than drugs.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 24, 2013 06:37

DandelionPowderman

Because Brian upped the game in terms of production values and musical innovation, which might have seemed more obvious at the time.

Another thing that might surprise you is the fact that without the Beach Boys--and surf rock in general--The Who never would have wound up sounding like The Who. Amazing, but true.

Date: October 24, 2013 18:09

All this who is better than who crap, record sales vs tour attendance and charting and blah blah blah blah blah is nothing but similar to the "I'M TELLING" mindset of one particular multi-named troll.

Zep aren't the Stones. Stones aren't the Beatles. And on and on and on.

IT DOESN'T MATTER.

The only "winners" of any of this crap are the estates with the money they've made. Woo hoo.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:36

I don't care what the haters or the homers say - Led Zeppelin was one incredibly bad-ass band that did ntohing but rock the floor every single night they played and with every single rekkid they released. Some were better than others, sure, but overall, their proficiency was incredible.

I agree with GasLight - no comparison b/t Zep and the Stones, and who cares? They are both amazing!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:52

stonesstein
I don't care what the haters or the homers say - Led Zeppelin was one incredibly bad-ass band that did ntohing but rock the floor every single night they played and with every single rekkid they released. Some were better than others, sure, but overall, their proficiency was incredible.

I agree with GasLight - no comparison b/t Zep and the Stones, and who cares? They are both amazing!

thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home