Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 20
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - DVD and movie
Posted by: heritagehawks ()
Date: September 20, 2010 21:17

I saw it at Savoy 16 Theaters which is just south of the University of Illinois campus in Champaign. I would say about 25 people scattered throughout a theater with a stadium seating arrangement.

First off, I was miffed that I had reserved a seat using their electronic ticketing system and it would not work in the lobby as show time approached. I ended up spending another $12.50, but thought, what the heck, I've spent thousands on posters, bootlegs, all the legitimate products, etc. over a lifetime, so no biggie.

When I entered the theater, they had the promotional video going with the Exile CD 2 songs playing. It was great to hear them on a theater system, got me revved up for the show to begin.

I thought the Mick interview was very entertaining and seeing the posters for the movie lined up behind him was cool. Although we all know Mick's recollections sometimes get confused, it was great to hear him comment on his stage clothes and Mick Taylor and why Rocks Off never made the cut for the official film. For me, it was enough to hear him talk about what many consider kind of a forgotten classic in the Rolling Stones catalog, so great that it will not be official. As a big Stones and Who fan, having things like this movie and Kilburn '77 come out from the vaults is exciting.

When the film began and the theater started to darken, I really started to think about what I have read about the original showings back in 1974, how the speaker system was brought in special and how the dark beginning was supposed to mimic a real concert beginning. It was very cool that at least for the beginning that the surround speakers had the various talk between the crew, with the "bite me frank!" and other comments bouncing around the speakers in this theater. When the part hits with the piano and then "Peter Rudge" and "black it" before the roar of the crowd begins, it was goose bump time for me. One comment on the right side with someone complaining about turning on the amps in the dark (did I hear that right?) was something I had never heard. Yeah, it's no Sam Cutler at the beginning of GYYYO, but the black opening is still a cool idea I've always thought.

After watching this film so many times on bad, super dark VHS tapes (at least we know why so dark now) to the pretty awesome 4Reel version, I had a slight tear in my eye as they came out on stage and got ready for the Brown Sugar, the same type of tear I got in 1997 when I saw Quadrophenia live after The Who seemed to be done forever (who knew where that would lead all these years!).

Like many on this forum, I was disappointed in the volume, in fact a movie playing in the next theater could be overheard during parts of the Stones show, but it was still better than my home set up seeing it on a big screen. A guy sitting near me was drumming annoyingly, so after Bitch, I moved up front where it seemed the majority of the sound was coming from and the move was worth it. What I most noticed, more so than ever watching and listening to the sound track probably a thousand times, was the improved drum sound and hearing most of the concert without the weird phasing effect that most versions on boots have. Charlie is absolutely on fire on these tracks, heck he's always good, but this was like Europe 1973 Midnight Rambler from Newcastle good, with quick rolls and accents all over the place and to me, much more noticeable than on all the boot versions.

One question I always had could at least be answered: Mick Taylor's Les Paul did not have pick-up selector knob. Yeah, I know, way trivial, but I always wondered if it was there or not, and when key was playing a Les Paul, it looked like his was removed also. Was that a thing back then? Also, you could plainly see their guitar straps and they seemed the same kind of multi-color design too.

Mick Taylor is of course outstanding, and when the video actually matched the song being played, it was fascinating to watch him too, his rhythm guitar playing is amazing. It seems camera wise, there are more edits of Keith dropped in where he is not playing the guitar he's actually using on the song, easy to spot since his switches for G-tuning and standard using the Tele, Strat, and Les Paul on the different songs. I definitely noticed the beginning of Sweet Virginia where Mick Taylor is waiting to join in yet multiple instruments can be heard.

The stretch of All Down the Line to the end is just unbelievable. Since I had purposely not watched or listened to any of the 1972 tour boots I have for a while, the length and power of this Midnight Rambler version was surprising, again almost like the 1973 epic versions. I love the part where Mick sings through the harmonica before pulling it back to continue. Overall, while the sound volume was disappointing and knowing the DVD version should be killer, it was great seeing this movie finally come to back to official status and to see it in a theater with other Stones fans.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: September 20, 2010 21:49

Great to see the movie on the big screen.
Highlights: the whole show
How They've Changed: in Shine A Light, Jagger and Richards sing different verses during Faraway Eyes, but in L&G Jagger feeds the lines to Richards so he'll get them right.
Hadn't Noticed This Before: SV must be from another show or overdubbed as Taylor does not appear to be playing what is heard. He is under dark lighting so maybe I've missed something. (I knew about the Happy mash up.)
What the Wife Said: is that blonde guy wearing saddle shoes?!
Sound: Brown Sugar has a poor mix, with Watts very low and the guitars a muddle. Other songs were mixed better. I heard the 5.1 version. The audience and roadies were in the satellite speakers, but I don't recall much music from there.
Picture: it was strange to see so much ghosting on a film, but others have said a digitized version was shown.
Misplaced Baggage: the rap on the movie is that the camera is trained on Jagger alone and others are rarely shown. Absolutely untrue.
Video Edit: at times, the director seemed drawn by Taylor's playing to put him on the screen. Since Taylor does not move around much when he solos, the shots often are of Taylor's fingers dancing on the fretboard. Very useful for those of us looking to learn those licks. (I had thought the second solo in JJF was done with a slide.)
Audience: I sat in front of a guy who sang along to YCAGWYW, etc. While we we got a somewhat loud movie, it could have and should have been louder.
Shock: when the audience is finally shown at the end. Before then, it seems they are playing to an empty hall and an applause track. I did't miss the audience shots, just found them a bit jarring at the end.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 20, 2010 22:45

>> Jagger feeds the lines to Richards <<

... while Richards very pointedly looks in the opposite direction,
because he knows the bleedin words, doesn't he :E

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: September 21, 2010 09:45

with sssoul
>> Jagger feeds the lines to Richards <<

... while Richards very pointedly looks in the opposite direction,
because he knows the bleedin words, doesn't he :E

Maybe he knows the words. Jagger seems earnest about his direction. Instructions one, two and an emphatic four land and are heeded. Instruction three hits the side and back of Richards' head, and Richards for-all-I-know is watching a projectile go by or simply cocking his ear. In any case, the effort and result differ from the later movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-21 09:46 by Smokey.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: September 21, 2010 19:34

didn't get to see it [family emergency] but hopefully the dvd will be a lot of fun.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 22, 2010 00:05

JMARKO

The 'outtake' versions of Happy and All Down The Line are much better edits and much less tightly shot -- hopefully someone will have the where with all to get those onto a DVD bonus package somehow.

Respectfully disagree with you on that point. When I saw those outtake versions on Youtube not long ago they seemed sort of draggy by comparison. The coverage/cutting on the L&G version of "All Down The Line" is brilliant, one of the exciting pieces of live rock footage ever.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 22, 2010 01:43

According to eagle rock´s site Gimme Shelter is missing on the DVD release,
hopefully it´s just a mistake on their tracklist...

" Ladies and Gentleman

Catalogue No: EREDV807
by Rolling Stones
Barcode: 5034504980778

DVD | Release: 11/10/2010

"Ladies and Gentlemen… The Rolling Stones" finally comes to DVD. This Legendary Rolling Stones concert film, shot over four nights in Texas during the "Exile ON Main Street" tour in 1972, was released in cinemas for limited engagements in 1974 and has remained largely unseen since. Now, restored and remastered, "Ladies and Gentlemen" makes its first authorised appearance on DVD. This is one of the finest Rolling Stones concerts ever captured on film and features outstanding performances of classic tracks from the late sixties and early seventies. Also included as a bonus is previously unreleased rehearsal footage for the tour filmed in Switzerland and interviews with Mick Jagger from 1972 and 2010.

tracklist

Track name:

Brown Sugar
Bitch
Dead Flowers
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Love in Vain
Sweet Virginia
Can't Always Get What You Want
All Down the Line
Midnight Rambler
Bye Bye, Johnny
Rip This Joint
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man "

[www.eagle-rock.com]

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 22, 2010 06:03

Smokey
In any case, the effort and result differ from the later movie.

which is--what? Sorry.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 22, 2010 08:27

>> which is--what? Sorry. <<

Shine a Light - see the post before the one where i said Richards knows the words:
"How They've Changed: in Shine A Light, Jagger and Richards sing different verses during Faraway Eyes,
but in L&G Jagger feeds the lines to Richards so he'll get them right."

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: September 22, 2010 17:06

Movie should have been advertised and shown in ''art-house'' theaters, such as the "Belcourt Cinema" in Nashville.
Instead it wasn't advertised and was shown in a big multiplex sad smiley

Date: September 22, 2010 18:41

with sssoul
>> which is--what? Sorry. <<

Shine a Light - see the post before the one where i said Richards knows the words:
"How They've Changed: in Shine A Light, Jagger and Richards sing different verses during Faraway Eyes,
but in L&G Jagger feeds the lines to Richards so he'll get them right."

ah, thank you, my oversight... still, that's a bit of what usage experts call "inelegant variation" on the part of Mick Taylor Fan #2.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 22, 2010 20:55

Ah Yes And SAILINg ExPerts Have A Term FOQ MIsin The Boat cause U Didnt Read THE DEparture Time And Blaming It Slitely On The Crew. Inelegant Observatioo. I Swear them experts got a name 4 everryythinn.

Re: Watched in Burbank, CA
Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: September 23, 2010 02:18

T&A
skipstone
Why are people surprised that not a lot of people are in movie theatres to see this? It's not like it's some highly desired movie for the world to see. For some people it's just another goddamn Stones movie. The Stones don't do well in movie theatres.

i'm not sure what the big fuss is about getting out to see this in the theater. i would assume most of us diehards have a 4reels or comparable dvd boot with a nice tv and stereo to listen/watch at home with a brew and/or a joint...

Indeed I do!

Date: September 23, 2010 03:40

T&A

i'm not sure what the big fuss is about getting out to see this in the theater. i would assume most of us diehards have a 4reels or comparable dvd boot with a nice tv and stereo to listen/watch at home with a brew and/or a joint...

I have the disc, but not the stereo-equipped TV, blue-ray, etc... Seeing it on a movie screen in a big room sure beats watching it on my computer.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 23, 2010 15:38

cc
T&A

I have the disc, but not the stereo-equipped TV, blue-ray, etc... Seeing it on a movie screen in a big room sure beats watching it on my computer.

The same here, however nice it is to see it on my PC and hear it with good earphones. But absolutely different from that special theatre experience.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 23, 2010 17:28

cc
Seeing it on a movie screen in a big room sure beats watching it on my computer.

Absolutely. Besides that the sound and vision in the theatre was so much better than the bad DVD copy that I have.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 24, 2010 01:13

Glad I had the chance tonight to watch the movie at the theatre.
No disappointment at all,just a little surprise ,having the two tracks from
the Exile DVD in mind, concerning sound and picture...thought it might be slightly better,
but it was absolutely great anyway...

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: September 24, 2010 01:58

Watched it in UCI Düsseldorf this night.

I know I can`t compare 1972 and 1989 up to 2007.

But:
1.) Mick Taylor was great!!! Keith was great!!!
2.) Bill Wyman bass playing great. Much better than D.J.
3.) Mick + Keith often singing together
4.) Charly was and is great!
5.) Best version of "Happy"in 1972

Maybe it`s not right to compare Wood and Taylor. Because times are changing.
I prefer Taylors playing ... but great playing is not enaugh to be a Rolling Stone .......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-24 13:15 by satisfaction2.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 24, 2010 02:24

Been there too and it was a nice evening!

Furthermore we had very similar impressions:

Great Taylor playing (while looking so lethargic . .)
Keith! (what a difference!)
Mick and Keith together at the micro! (even friends who are no big fans liked that a lot)
Charlie in 72
Bill's playing (simple but effective and gave that nice bottom)
and yeah, - Happy was great as well!

I think it is very different seeing it on a big screen than at home on TV.
Glad I was there!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 24, 2010 07:22

Saw it in Kaiserslautern last night and it was stunning. The picture was a little blurry at times but thanks to this forum I was prepared for that. What knocked me out was the great loud sound. I got a chance to feel what it was like to see The Stones in 1972. Midnight Rambler was a powerful monster. They were really on!!!

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: September 24, 2010 11:43

I saw it yesterday in Bochum. It was a very nice experience watching the guys on the big screen back in 1972. I never saw the film before and, wow, they were really on fire those days. The picture was OK (surely not to compare with modern films, i think because of the bad condition of the mastertapes, Mick mentioned that in the interwiev, so don´t expect to match from the blue-ray release ..), the Sound was good (and loud in stereo), but the Mix of Mick´s voice and Mick T.s guitar is a little bit close imo. Compared to GYYYO the audio sucks a little bit ... but for sure better than the bootleg-releases ...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 24, 2010 12:48

When yesterday to see it in Milano, but show was canceled because the file couldn't be downloaded correctly ...

Sign of the times!

C

DVD Review
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: September 24, 2010 13:33

First review of the new DVD here:

www.myspace.com/simonjcwright/blog

Re: DVD Review
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 24, 2010 14:16

thanks for link. there are also review of the new Ronnie's albom and interview with Nick Kent - very interesting

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: September 24, 2010 16:25

Hey people! In Argentina we will not see this marvel in the cinemas thumbs down

Could anybody tell me if the movie is in the right speed?? Because the traditional version is a half-tone up (Happy is in C!! sounds like Alvin and the chipmunks!!) the Jointrip version is in the real key...

Please help!

Best wishes

Date: September 24, 2010 16:58

While their playing was very intense and some songs are really good - others are not that great imo.There are better 72 versions of Midnight Rambler and others for shure.
Pity they hadn't filmed the 72 MSG shows for the movie as well . .

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 24, 2010 17:09

johnnythunders
First review of the new DVD here:

www.myspace.com/simonjcwright/blog

Could you please post the text of this as I can't access myspace at work - many thanks

Date: September 24, 2010 17:13

I'm sure there was the odd edit in places. I think the middle part of Midnight Rambler was cut short (the "Owww!" bits). Are there any other edits?

Date: September 24, 2010 17:23

It's not so much about edits. But the playing on some songs - esp. M. Rambler - is a bit too loose and vague in parts.
Some songs they nailed better on other dates.

Date: September 24, 2010 17:30

CousinC
It's not so much about edits. But the playing on some songs - esp. M. Rambler - is a bit too loose and vague in parts.
Some songs they nailed better on other dates.

I just wanted to mention about edits - but I agree that other performances often better. However.. I suspect they wanted to film Fort Worth because it would mean they would have more "takes" to choose from when compiling the film, four takes for each song more or less. Plus as it was all shot in one venue then it would help with continuity as there wouldn't be any vast differences in the view of the stage. But they obviously couldn't do much abuot the continuity with the outfits!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2317
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home