Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - DVD and movie
Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: October 14, 2010 10:38

We have just received confirmation from Omniversevision in the UK that
"Ladies & Gentlemen"
can be shown to the crowd at the
Keith Richards Book Launch Party
at Parkteatret, Oslo on October 25th.

This will be the only presentation of the movie in Oslo.
Don't miss your chance!
Tickets: www.billettservice.no or Narvesen and 7 Eleven and 815 33 133

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: October 14, 2010 14:50

Edward Twining
Taylor's lead guitar work is significantly quieter in the mix on several tracks also, especially on 'Gimme Shelter', 'Dead Flowers' and 'Street Fighting Man', than on the bootlegs of 'Ladies And Gentlemen', although i partly put it down to my hi fi equipment. Does anyone else notice that ? It's frustrating if it's true, because his contributions, of course, are so vital. When i saw the film in the cinema the other week this was not the case. I might try playing the DVD through some different speakers.

I found I could hear MT better listening to the dvd (using headphones) than I could hear him in the cinema..but yes, he's not incredibly loud.

I find the whole dvd stereo mix a bit odd really, as it still isn't that stereo...just has a bit of stereo ambience. I previously complained that the film was in mono..but it seems the dvd isn't far off mono either.

Can anyone confirm what the 6 channel audio consists of?

I believe they used the four track film audio for the new release...so one wonders what kind of mix this was (quadraphonic?). Plus I read that the original concert recordings were 16-track, so they could have used these - however it's possible they no longer had these and only the film's four-channel audio soundtrack remained.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: October 14, 2010 16:13

The odd stereo sound is hardly if any better than on the audio sb boots You Can't Do That Baby and Ladies & Gentlemen. Only the drums don't sound so shrill.

The biggest increasement is the film itself, though I can't judge the other sound systems 5.1 and DTS.

Posted by: carserguev ()
Date: October 15, 2010 01:10

Hi there; new guy here, so sorry if this is a stupid question: is the US DVD region free also? I'm thinking of ordering it at Amazon USA cos of the cool price, plus I have other things saved in my cart that I could order together and save on shipping...

I've seen a bootleg copy of this; Can't wait to experience the real thing! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-15 01:25 by carserguev.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: October 15, 2010 07:54

carserguev
Hi there; new guy here, so sorry if this is a stupid question: is the US DVD region free also? I'm thinking of ordering it at Amazon USA cos of the cool price, plus I have other things saved in my cart that I could order together and save on shipping...

google "dvd hacks" and you'll find out how to change your dvd-PLAYER region free. It's dead easy!

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: October 15, 2010 09:53

Interesting article in the NY Times today about film restoration though it says nothing about Ladies and Gents. [www.nytimes.com]

Criterion would have done a better job with Ladies and Gents than Eagle Rock did. You can tell from watching it that Eagle Rock did not put a heck of a lot of thought ( or time or money) into this "project."

Date: October 15, 2010 12:34

stonesseventytwo
Interesting article in the NY Times today about film restoration though it says nothing about Ladies and Gents. [www.nytimes.com]

Criterion would have done a better job with Ladies and Gents than Eagle Rock did. You can tell from watching it that Eagle Rock did not put a heck of a lot of thought ( or time or money) into this "project."

I agree. The L&G dvd menus look a bit rushed, kind of generic looking. Stones In Exile was done better though.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 15, 2010 16:48

how does Eagle Rock get the gig in producing this movie?
Was there a bidding process for the rights?

Posted by: ShootsWaterRats ()
Date: October 15, 2010 17:38

I just watched and listened to the L&G DVD last night. Compared to bootlegs (e.g., 4Reel), the speed of the film is now accurate, and the stereo mix has been improved through EQing. However as others here have noted, ultimately the stereo mix is still the same unimpressive soundtrack from the original film. It's always been excessively compressed, which robs the music of its dynamics and power.

Given that Eagle Rock went to the trouble of accessing the multitrack masters and creating a new 5.1 mix (which most viewers will never even hear), it's rather maddening that they didn't also remix it in stereo (which is still by far the most common format in which people listen to music and movies). It would have been relatively easy to do a stereo remix -- I'm guessing a good engineer could have done it in a day or two. But alas, once again the opportunity to provide a definitive recording from the '72 tour has been missed.

For those who do have 5.1 audio setups and have watched the DVD, I'm curious to know your observations about the differences between the stereo mix and the 5.1 mix. I'm wondering if the 5.1 mix not only features greater track separation, but also less compression / more dynamics.

Date: October 15, 2010 18:13

The stereo mix seems to be: drums, bass, both guitars & vocals (all the stones basically) all panned centrally; piano panned right; and if I remember correctly, horns to the left.

Some of the sound is very odd.... kind of phasing/flanging effects here and there, especially on MT's guitar (and he's not using any effects at all).

I'm planning (perhaps this weekend if I get time) to use [handbrake.fr] to extract the 6 channels of audio, then hopefully create new stereo mixes.

You can already, in the dvd, select one of the other sound options (dts? surround?) and it sounds different - I'm assuming this allows you to listen to 2 of the 6 audio channels.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 15, 2010 18:52

Amazon just informed me there refunding me $5, bringing my copy down from $13.99 to $7.99. Hot dog.

Date: October 15, 2010 20:27

WeLoveYou

"Some of the sound is very odd.... kind of phasing/flanging effects here and there"

I agree. I wonder if much of this is unintentional, and perhaps due to different tracks being slightly out-of-phase during the original mixing process.

"I'm planning (perhaps this weekend if I get time) to use [handbrake.fr] to extract the 6 channels of audio, then hopefully create new stereo mixes."

I had actually been wondering if that approach would be possible, and might yield a much better stereo mix. Please let us know how you make out; I'd certainly be interested in hearing the results if you're willing to share them.

"You can already, in the dvd, select one of the other sound options (dts? surround?) and it sounds different"

Thanks for the idea. I gave it a shot: In one option the phasing effect was even more pronounced, while in the other option there was no sound. Not sure of the technical explanations for this.

Posted by: carserguev ()
Date: October 16, 2010 03:07

Child Of Clay
carserguev

google "dvd hacks" and you'll find out how to change your dvd-PLAYER region free. It's dead easy!

Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid it's not that easy... I've googled the subject several times over the years already, and the player I have is apparently unhackeable by any normal means, I'd have to buy a very expensive "special" remote control which would cost me even more than the player did! And I can't afford that... In Europe, or at least in Spain, it's impossible to find region-free players, at least I've been unable to...

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 16, 2010 07:12

Just ordered it from Amazon for $7.99.

By the way, at Best Buy today Four Flicks was $3.99 - I should have waited a few years!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-16 07:14 by DaveG.

Date: October 16, 2010 13:07

My dvd player is made by "Pacific", bought it 5 years ago. I was able to get a hack code off the internet to make it region free. I guess it depends on the brand etc.

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: October 16, 2010 15:46

WeLoveYou
stonesseventytwo

I agree. The L&G dvd menus look a bit rushed, kind of generic looking. Stones In Exile was done better though.

Yes, if The Stones and Eagle Vision had really put some thought into this they would have included a booklet with some of the original reviews from the Dallas and Ft. Worth shows, and perhaps an essay by Robert Greenfield as he chronicled the tour for Rolling Stone and wrote a wonderful book about it. I am thinking of something along the lines of The Get Yer Ya Yas Out 40th anniversary package which was very nicely done I thought. After a 36 year wait, and the cult status this movie has been accorded over the years, it deserved far more special treatment. Had Criteron handled this they would have done a much classier job, both with the restoration of the film itself and the packaging. Anyway, enough said. I am at least glad that I don't ever have to buy another crappy bootleg of this film ( and they were all crappy even the oft mentioned 4 Reel ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-16 15:48 by stonesseventytwo.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 16, 2010 16:57

WeLoveYou
Some of the sound is very odd.... kind of phasing/flanging effects here and there, especially on MT's guitar (and he's not using any effects at all).

What do you mean by "odd" ?

I mentionned above that the sound suddenly increased when SFM came ,have you noticed the same ?

btw,there were aplauses at the end of the movie .I don't recall of aplauses at the end of SAL when I saw it in theater.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: October 16, 2010 17:42

I got mine. Played it last night. The audio and visual is excellent. I have been watching inferior copies for so long, I really appreciate having this. This is a must have for any Stones fan.

Date: October 16, 2010 19:55

SwayStones
WeLoveYou

What do you mean by "odd" ?

I mentionned above that the sound suddenly increased when SFM came ,have you noticed the same ?

btw,there were aplauses at the end of the movie .I don't recall of aplauses at the end of SAL when I saw it in theater.

In my ears the common stereo of the DVD is indeed kinda odd. Very compressed: only horns and piano at the left and the right, all Stones in the the centre. Taylor a bit more to the left and Richards a bit more to the right, but only a little bit. It doesn't sound very 'natural'. Almost no depth and certainly not 'wide' enough (compressed). Hardly any difference with the sound on audio SB boots like You Can't Do That Baby.

SFM on the DVD doesn't have an increase of volume. I didn't notice it in the theatre either. Maybe they did something with the sound during SFM in 'your' theatre.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: October 16, 2010 20:35

I finally watched the full Blu-Ray of the concert.

Wow, quite a performance.

No wonder all you old farts on the forum want Mick Taylor to come back and the band to actually play together again.

Shame this kind of show is over for good.

Date: October 16, 2010 21:20

about to watch it now. got it yesterday at best buy for $7.99

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: October 17, 2010 01:39

kleermaker
As far as I know there's no version of Rocks Off from the Houston shows available. From the two Fort Worth shows this is the best version:

Rocks Off 1972 (Fort Worth, June 24, 2nd)

Man, that is gawd-awful.

Date: October 17, 2010 01:43

stonesseventytwo
hmmmm...if it is only a slight improvement on the 4 Reels version, that would be a disappointment. All the boots to date of this movie have been pretty bad. I must have seen 6 or 7 over the years. Was hoping for more from the "official release"

I would say that the DVD is about 20 percent better in terms of video, and 33 percent better in terms of audio.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-17 01:53 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 17, 2010 18:44

The 5.1 mix drops you right into the front row in that it features a fair amount of applause in the rear channels between songs that dies down when the band gets into a song.

Notice how, during Bitch, Keef is playing a Telecaster in some shots and a Les Paul in others, and how, during the end of Happy, Keef is well away, at least 10 feet, from the microphone, but his background vocals are loud and clear. And his b-vox sound double tracked on Dead Flowers.

Maybe it's sacrilege to say so, but some of Taylor's solos in L&G, for example Gimme Shelter, seem like he's coasting on technique and noodling without much thought or structure. By contrast, he seems more focused and fiery in the Philadelphia shows a month later. That Philadelphia Special boot is as good as it gets. Then again, maybe I'm just nitpicking about the best Stones tour ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-17 18:52 by ab.

Date: October 17, 2010 20:40

ab
"The 5.1 mix drops you right into the front row in that it features a fair amount of applause in the rear channels between songs that dies down when the band gets into a song."

Does the 5.1 mix also feature greater separation between the instruments (especially the guitars), or is it fairly similar to the stereo mix in which most instruments are right in the middle?

Also, does the 5.1 mix feature more dynamics, or is it heavily compressed like the stereo mix?

Any other comparisons between the 5.1 mix and stereo mix would be appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-19 05:28 by ShootsWaterRats.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 17, 2010 22:03

Straight to #1 in UK:

[www.theofficialcharts.com]

Date: October 17, 2010 23:10

Did anyone notice that in the recent interview that Mick Jagger gives on the DVD bonus part, that he tries to change the subject as soon as Mick Taylor is mentioned? Jagger can't dance away from Taylor fast enough, and suddenly changes the subject to what sort of shirt Taylor was wearing or other trivia. He doesn't want to talk about the Taylor resignation at all.

Jagger just wants to blot it out of his mind, or at least not put any fresh light on the matter.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 17, 2010 23:20

KeefintheNight82
I finally watched the full Blu-Ray of the concert.

Wow, quite a performance.

No wonder all you old farts on the forum want Mick Taylor to come back and the band to actually play together again.

Shame this kind of show is over for good.
i watched the bd last night, incredible! anyone complaining about compressed sound on the dvd shouldve bought the blu-ray instead, the lossless dts-hd ma is sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Date: October 17, 2010 23:24

mitchflorida
Did anyone notice that in the recent interview that Mick Jagger gives on the DVD bonus part, that he tries to change the subject as soon as Mick Taylor is mentioned? Jagger can't dance away from Taylor fast enough, and suddenly changes the subject to what sort of shirt Taylor was wearing or other trivia. He doesn't want to talk about the Taylor resignation at all.

Jagger just wants to blot it out of his mind, or at least not put any fresh light on the matter.

He's still traumatized by Taylor's quit. Easy to understand. And yes, it has been mentioned before somewhere in this thread.

Date: October 18, 2010 00:11

I think it is because Mick Jagger feels very guilty about not giving MT the silly song credit that Taylor wanted. As a result, Taylor left the group in a huff.

Mick Jagger will never take responsibility for MT leaving the Stones. It is too painful for him psychologically.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-18 00:12 by mitchflorida.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home