Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 20
Re: Watched in Burbank, CA
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 17, 2010 18:14

We watched it in Palm Springs. With us included, and this is not an exaggeration, there were a total of six people in the theater. There were never any ads in the paper, rock stations didn't mention it. When we arrived at the theater, it wasn't even on the marquee. When we got in the theater, the guy who took the tickets didn't know which number room it was screening at the multiplex. He asked the manager who said Number two, and then added, "if it's not in Two, try Three." The title of the movie wasn't over the room door entrance, as usual. Incredible. Nobody there, they didn't sell tickets, but, it's their own fault. I'll bet this was a sell out in NYC, but then, they TOLD people it was showing!

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 18:35

I watched at the Regal Cinemas in Westchester (used to be the Bridge) just next to the 405. I would say it was about half full. It was great to see the whole thing on big screen, but it was ruined by what I thought was a poor sound system. But the worst was a continual breakdown of the digital image leading to silence and random pixelation. It must have happened a dozen times. They must have a really crappy computer driving the projector. People were whistling a booing and asking for refunds. "Bring back analog" was the best comment I heard.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 17, 2010 18:56

BluzDude
hey tomk, I saw it at the Woodland Hills AMC...does that make you homesick?winking smiley

Yes, it does. Indeed it does.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 17, 2010 19:18

tomk
Ah, Burbank, my old home and stomping ground. I miss that area. Now I'm stuck in this BS called San Francisco. What theater were you at?
If you hate it so much why don't you leave town?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 21:04

We saw it in downtown Sacramento. I went to hear a big sound. I was also curious about the media/audience response to this release. I was disappointed on both points. The sound was terrible, too low, muddy and fluctuating. You had to sit and LISTEN to hear to what was going on when I wanted to be hit in the face with it. A BIG disappointment. This morning I listened to my version of "You Can't Do That Baby" and it is better than what we heard last night.

I saw nothing in the paper beforehand about it although we saw one trailer in a theater a week or so ago. Perhaps 20 people in the theater. Many were younger than us. There was one clap when Keith approached the mic for Happy. Otherwise a subdued crowd listening to a mostly subdued volume of audio.

No surprises in the movie. Taylor remains the enduring point of interest for me. I wish his guitar was a bit more up in the mix. LIV is stunning. Again, I locked in on every note. So did Jagger. A great, great moment for the band. A tasteful, but subdued GS solo. DF a treat if they would just turn it up! Not a bad song or performance in the bunch. The band in its prime and enormously competent.

The '69 tour is still my favorite. I would love to see a L&G version from that tour. But the band did itself proud in this movie. It is the band's greatest testament from that era or any other.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 17, 2010 21:07

Why are people surprised that not a lot of people are in movie theatres to see this? It's not like it's some highly desired movie for the world to see. For some people it's just another goddamn Stones movie. The Stones don't do well in movie theatres.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 17, 2010 21:24

skipstone
Why are people surprised that not a lot of people are in movie theatres to see this? It's not like it's some highly desired movie for the world to see. For some people it's just another goddamn Stones movie. The Stones don't do well in movie theatres.

i'm not sure what the big fuss is about getting out to see this in the theater. i would assume most of us diehards have a 4reels or comparable dvd boot with a nice tv and stereo to listen/watch at home with a brew and/or a joint...

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: September 18, 2010 03:23

thumbs up
T&A
skipstone

i'm not sure what the big fuss is about getting out to see this in the theater. i would assume most of us diehards have a 4reels or comparable dvd boot with a nice tv and stereo to listen/watch at home with a brew and/or a joint...

thumbs up

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: MRJIMMMY ()
Date: September 18, 2010 03:44

it was kinda cool to see it on the big screen. i have the dvd , went to see it just for kicks. theater was only about 1\4 full. three airline size bottles of jack daniels and a medium coke and i was all set !! drinking smiley all that was missing was the weed smoke wafting about. a little different than the 70's when we saw it at the midnight showing !! smoking smiley i thought the sound was "good" , but not as good as i had hoped. we were chuckling about the two fifty something bald guys jammin there heads in unison. all in all a good time !

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 18, 2010 05:10

skipstone

They did at the time, my friend. But then, you had to be there, didn't you?

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: September 18, 2010 05:24

24 hours later and I'm wishing it was playing again in the theatre. I guess if they don't advertise no one will show up and they will lose money; so it's not playing anymore. BUMMER! I want to go again.
The sound in the Burbank theatre was great. I was stunned at how crisp the guitars were. I nearly pissed my pants during Midnight Rambler. can anyone say, cocaine......?

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 18, 2010 08:22

bigtyke66
I watched at the Regal Cinemas in Westchester (used to be the Bridge) just next to the 405. I would say it was about half full. It was great to see the whole thing on big screen, but it was ruined by what I thought was a poor sound system. But the worst was a continual breakdown of the digital image leading to silence and random pixelation. It must have happened a dozen times. They must have a really crappy computer driving the projector. People were whistling a booing and asking for refunds. "Bring back analog" was the best comment I heard.

All these showings were from a satellite feed, there was no film in the projector. Yours was probably breaking up because of loss of signal, which is probably why the sound was so bad too. I saw a similar screening of the Who's Isle of Wright in 2004 and the sound was horrid. My friend complained and was told by an employee it was a feed and they had little control over it. This is probably what happened at your screening.

Strangely, others here didn't have any problems and said the sound for L&G was incredible.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 17:34

bustedtrousers
bigtyke66

All these showings were from a satellite feed, there was no film in the projector. Yours was probably breaking up because of loss of signal, which is probably why the sound was so bad too. I saw a similar screening of the Who's Isle of Wright in 2004 and the sound was horrid. My friend complained and was told by an employee it was a feed and they had little control over it. This is probably what happened at your screening.

Strangely, others here didn't have any problems and said the sound for L&G was incredible.

Of course. A satellite feed makes sense for a simultaneous showing across the US and that explains the breakdowns we had. But I presume the sound depends on the individual theater system (and the listener). I'm sure the video and audio for the new release are great and was fine elsewhere (I will be getting the DVD for this reason) but I thought it was bad at this theater.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 19, 2010 03:43

bigtyke66
bustedtrousers
bigtyke66

Of course. A satellite feed makes sense for a simultaneous showing across the US and that explains the breakdowns we had. But I presume the sound depends on the individual theater system (and the listener). I'm sure the video and audio for the new release are great and was fine elsewhere (I will be getting the DVD for this reason) but I thought it was bad at this theater.

Apparently it is the fault of the venues, at least to some degree, since so many people have also said it sounded great. It seems these satellite showings are quite hit and miss, depending on the venue.

They did the same thing a month or so ago with the DVD of Elvis on Tour. I wonder if people had a similar experience with that.

Question - Ladies and Gents - Sound
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 17, 2010 20:37

I hear everyone commenting on the sound... I completely understand comparing the 4reel version to the theater version, but how did it compare to the clips from 25x5?!?!?

25x5 has those little snippets of Happy and Midnight Rambler that sounded and looked fantastic! I don't hear ANYONE comparing that.

I didn't get to see the flick last night (we couldn't find anyone to watch our baby and I had already scheduled a recording session), so I'm bummed to have missed it. I definitely plan on hosting a massive party in which we play the bluray on my PA system at a perfect volume/mix and projected using a 10k HD projector...

So... 25x5 vs the showing last night... How did it compare?

Re: Question - Ladies and Gents - Sound
Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: September 17, 2010 23:17

Isn't 25x5 VHS only?

Date: September 17, 2010 23:53

Yes. 25X5 is only on vhs. It has clips of ladies and gentlemen that look and sound miles better than any of the bootleg releases.

All of the bootlegs are camera shot from the back of a theater, hence blur and all the other factors that occur when you cam shoot a screen.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 18, 2010 00:03

I take it the digital version is in 5.1 surround sound?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 18, 2010 00:35

Interesting remark. I´ve done the same reflection. What source did they use in 25x5?

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:33

Silver Dagger
I take it the digital version is in 5.1 surround sound?

Think it is. However, on that note it is interresting that on Amazon.co.uk only the US import Blu-Ray is labelled DTS 5.1, not the European. Perhaps it is an error, hope so.

Date: September 18, 2010 02:41

The source in 25x5 was extremely high quality! I'm telling you it completely SMOKES the 4reel version.

Here is the clip!!!

The version above is a vhs copy poorly captured and encoded a while back before youtube started allowing HD uploads. Even still, the audio is worlds beyond the 4reel version. Which is why I'm curious how it stacks up against the theater release....

The digital version (supposedly) is in 5.1 but there seem to be conflicting reports on the reviews. Knowing how sound functions, including Dolby Digital encoding (I am a studio owner/sound engineer by trade), I believe the quadrophonic mix has been up-converted to 5.1 digital surround sound.

Some theaters played the movie in the correct format. The others couldn't play it correctly and so it was played as a mono or stereo down-mix. Thats what happens to theater encoding systems when they are not properly equipped to playback a format. It also happens when a rocking theater is manned by a 18 year old dork who doesn't known how to change the encoding system to the correct format!!!! So yes, you can blame the theater employees for not knowing the tech that goes into correct audio/video multimedia systems!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-18 02:44 by flacnvinyl.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:53

The 4-Reels version was taken from a theatrical print bought at auction in Europe a few years back.

Ladies and Gentlemen - this Thursday - hey San Franciscans let's meet!
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 12, 2010 01:33

hi!

Ladies and Gentlemen is this week, this Thursday! Who from San Francisco plans to go? wanna meet up before, watch together, maybe grab dinner/drinks afterward?
- swiss

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - this Thursday - hey San Franciscans let's meet!
Date: September 13, 2010 00:57

anyone...?

Date: September 13, 2010 02:02

Yeah Swiss. I'd be interested.

Date: September 13, 2010 02:10

SCL I'm going to put my email in my profile for a short period of time and hopefully you will grab it and we can continue this offline with any other SF peeps whose contact info you have.

In an hour I will go back and delete the email address ok? so if you could email or post here and tell me you got the email address that'd be great.

thanks
swiss

Date: September 13, 2010 02:55

swiss
SCL I'm going to put my email in my profile for a short period of time and hopefully you will grab it and we can continue this offline with any other SF peeps whose contact info you have.

In an hour I will go back and delete the email address ok? so if you could email or post here and tell me you got the email address that'd be great.

thanks
swiss
Got it swiss. We'll talk during the week and try to set something up.

Date: September 13, 2010 03:18

Cool-o! This is going to be fun! Know how to reach the other locals?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 13, 2010 04:05

I have a band rehearsal that night, otherwise I'd go.
Maybe I can meet for drinks afterwards. Let me know.

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - this Thursday - hey San Franciscans let's meet! (Chris M? others?)
Date: September 14, 2010 09:38

tomk
I have a band rehearsal that night, otherwise I'd go.
Maybe I can meet for drinks afterwards. Let me know.

Great, tomk, we'll post where we'll be going.

sweetcharmedlife is in -- anyone else? ChrisM?

There've gotta be more iorrers in San Francisco! smiling smiley

- swiss

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home