Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - DVD and movie
Date: October 26, 2010 12:48

OpenG
I can not believe MT would say that his best time musically was with his work with Dylan

play that guitar boy

Yeah, especially when we know he actually was kicked out of Dylan's band, but luckily got back again. Taylor was also very disappointed about Dylan, considering he always wanted his band to play new songs they hadn't even rehearsed before.

Maybe he liked the challenge after all? winking smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 26, 2010 14:11

Dylan wanted MT to be the bandleader during the 1984 tour and I guess with him drinking and other stuff he could never fill or perform that kind of role live on stage.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: October 26, 2010 15:31

DandelionPowderman
OpenG
I can not believe MT would say that his best time musically was with his work with Dylan

play that guitar boy

Yeah, especially when we know he actually was kicked out of Dylan's band, but luckily got back again. Taylor was also very disappointed about Dylan, considering he always wanted his band to play new songs they hadn't even rehearsed before.

Maybe he liked the challenge after all? winking smiley

I cut off the rest of the interview which was about (his period with) Dylan. He's extremely positive about Bob. This is what Taylor literally says about Dylan:

"I worked a couple of years with Bob Dylan. He was a very inspiring person to work with ... and just as a human being and as an artist and in terms of friendship and encouragement. He's one of the few people I've met that does great songwriting, one of the greatest songwriters of the 20th century."

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: October 26, 2010 20:24

Something else: up here we've discussed why Rocks Off wasn't and isn't on L&G.

Well, today I read a message of YouTube (where I uploaded the Rocks Off version from the 1972 Fort Worth June 24, 2nd show) that they had removed this Rocks Off clip because of a copyright claim by a certain Wayne Catalano. I had posted the link up here in this thread.

I wonder if there's any connection between the reason Jagger gave why Rocks Off wasn't/isn't on L&G (because the guitars were out of tune or something like that, but an implausible reason imo) and this Wayne Catalano claim. Anyway, it's strange, because it's only the second time a clip I uploaded has been removed by YT (the first time because of a cr claim by ABCKO, months ago).

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: October 26, 2010 23:22

Wayne Catalano seems to own it...he has a website...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 30, 2010 00:40

Not sure how many of you can relate to this, but I've always noticed the audio on the clip of "happy" (from this film) on the 25x5 video is simply stunning, damn near perfect. I still have this video on vhs and the sound is way better than the new dvd (I have the blu-ray). Different master audio maybe or have the master tapes deteriorated that much since 1989?

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 30, 2010 11:42

Does anyone knows how many copy's they produced from the numbered deluxe version?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 5, 2010 17:09

Just watched my copy...

1. the picture is JUST better than all bootlegs we have - nothing brilliant unfortunately.

2. Love In Vain version is the BEST from the whole 1972 US Tour...

3. Midnight Rambler & All Down The Line are also very good.

4. Do you think the backup vocals from Dead Flowers are overdubs? sounds very "Happy-ish" to me....i'd have to listen to the audience rec again..

5. reckon I saw a better vision/sound quality from the 'Stones in Exile' snippet of Sweet Virginia than what I see in L&G...?

6. still hate the darkness.

overall nothing to piss your pants about...but nice to throw away the bootlegs.

ER

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 5, 2010 17:42

but did they even film Rocks Off? does it even exists? It's my understanding that pieces of the shows were filmed -nothing end to end

Date: November 5, 2010 17:52

jagger mentions in his recent interview on the L&G DVD that he looked at Rocks Off for the Stones In Exile stuff...but didn't like it due to band/Jagger being out of tune...so it exists.

personally i think a full 1972 show is just around the corner...winking smiley with any luck...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 5, 2010 18:10

Eleanor Rigby
personally i think a full 1972 show is just around the corner...winking smiley with any luck...

Amen brother!

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: November 14, 2010 14:39

Just got the Deluxe box set #10210. Bonus extras are Dick Cavett and Australia 1973 interviews (both circulate on bootlegs).

The book is pretty good - the best pictures have already been circulating as well. Overall, probably not worth paying $60 more unless you are a diehard, which I am!

Date: November 14, 2010 14:43

blakeeik
Just got the Deluxe box set #10210. Bonus extras are Dick Cavett and Australia 1973 interviews (both circulate on bootlegs).

The book is pretty good - the best pictures have already been circulating as well. Overall, probably not worth paying $60 more unless you are a diehard, which I am!

hi blakeeik - the bonus Australia 1973 stuff is just interviews? or is it the Aussie 1973 special with footage from Melbourne (Brown Sugar) etc...

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: November 14, 2010 20:15

Eleanor Rigby
blakeeik

hi blakeeik - the bonus Australia 1973 stuff is just interviews? or is it the Aussie 1973 special with footage from Melbourne (Brown Sugar) etc...

the Australia bit has just the interviews

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 14, 2010 20:56

Taylor is very proud to have worked with Dylan. He comments on it all the time. I have heard some of those comments personally. His frequent playing of Blind Willie McTell is an homage to that period. Taylor is proud to have been around when Dylan composed that one. Taylor said it was Dylan who approached him at the Roxy in '82 to work together.

The '84 tour is not a favorite with the Bobcats. Taylor took his knocks from Heylin and that criticism is often repeated by people. But in his book, McLagan disputes some of Heylin's dump on Taylor. I have it on very good authority that Dylan was a bit weird on that tour, very removed from everyone. Dylan is not one to be overruled about anything by anyone. He chose to front a mostly English RnR band and that is what the fans got, along with some superb lead guitar playing (and keyboard playing I might add).

Whether you believe that for Taylor the Dylan association was THE highlight of his career is up to you. Be it Taylor, Jagger or Richards, I believe half of what they say.

I am not sure I would go so far as to believe Jagger was traumatized by Taylor's quitting, although according to Wood he was truly shocked when he was told. But Jagger's long general silence about that event tends to make me think it is a sore point. A few years ago now I spoke with Taylor's stage manager. He told me Taylor saw the band backstage in London (now 10 years ago or so ago ??) and that Jagger was "cool" to him. That is why I think the more recent Jagger/Taylor collaboration for Exile is so significant. They were collaborators. One wonders how it felt for Taylor to be so again.

But since this thread is about L&G, for me the most riveting moments in that movie are during LIV with Jagger watching his lead guitarist very closely. No running around required. I find myself hanging on every note.

Date: November 15, 2010 01:39

blakeeik
Eleanor Rigby
blakeeik

thanks

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 15:43

Eleanor Rigby
blakeeik
Eleanor Rigby
blakeeik

thanks

I have the 2010... and thanks God is in the right speed!! This movie is awesome... Charlie is good tonight isn't! I'd love to have more piano, but the boys rocks, at the top

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 17, 2010 02:24

Go figure...the new L&G is finally at the right speed and the new LSTNT is too fast.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: November 17, 2010 02:45

still buzzed that its out officially...originally saw it a a second run theatre in the late '70s.....the gritty grainy film looks great..sounds great....for me, it was the height of their musical powers....i still get goosebumps from the intro and into Brown Sugar...more live bonus material wouldve been great...but i'm satisfied anyway....best rock'n'roll concert film by far imo

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 17, 2010 19:42

Paid 85€ for it

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home