Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - DVD and movie
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 29, 2010 20:35

As far as I know there's no version of Rocks Off from the Houston shows available. From the two Fort Worth shows this is the best version:

Rocks Off 1972 (Fort Worth, June 24, 2nd)

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 30, 2010 06:38

Nice find, Kleermaker!

It rocks but it is kind of a mess, at least compared to Pittsburgh/Philly later in the tour.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: September 30, 2010 12:22

Sorry if it is already mentioned (but I have no time to scroll through 15 pages).
What is the content of the 3th disc in the DeLuxe version of L&G?

Greetings,
Mr.Fancyman

Date: September 30, 2010 15:19

JuanTCB
Nice find, Kleermaker!

It's my own upload, made yesterdaywinking smiley.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 30, 2010 17:58

mrfancyman
Sorry if it is already mentioned (but I have no time to scroll through 15 pages).

Greetings,
Mr.Fancyman

[www.amazon.com]

[www.bol.com]

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: September 30, 2010 20:27

Rolling Hansie
mrfancyman

Greetings,
Mr.Fancyman

[www.amazon.com]

[www.bol.com]

Disc 3 - Bonus Materiaal:
Previously unreleased material from the 1972/3 Rolling Stones world tour in support of the classic "Exile On Main Street" album

OK, I read that.
No more details for disc 3 available?

Mr.Fancyman

Date: September 30, 2010 23:58

Bij Amazon.com staat dit:

PLUS AN EXCLUSIVE THIRD DISC, FEATURING RARE AND NEVER BEFORE SEEN FOOTAGE FROM
THEIR DICK CAVETT SHOW APPEARANCE, ASSORTED INTERVIEWS & FOOTAGE FROM THE
AUSTRALIAN EXILE ON MAIN STREET TOUR

-------------------

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 1, 2010 02:17

I have a question. Is Love In Vain on the correct pitch now? Because it used to be in G-sharp and there's no capo on Keith's guitar...Always wondered why they did that...

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: October 3, 2010 17:00

Rolling Hansie
Bij Amazon.com staat dit:

PLUS AN EXCLUSIVE THIRD DISC, FEATURING RARE AND NEVER BEFORE SEEN FOOTAGE FROM
THEIR DICK CAVETT SHOW APPEARANCE, ASSORTED INTERVIEWS & FOOTAGE FROM THE
AUSTRALIAN EXILE ON MAIN STREET TOUR

A question remains as to whether the Australian footage is the same silent B&W video that already circulates. I presume we'll find out shortly . . .

Re: Just saw "LAGTRS" in NYC
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 3, 2010 18:57

stateofshock
Star Focker
Mick, as you know, is breathtaking. His skin, his body, his smile, those eyes -- he was just a force of nature. Still. The theater was like being bathed in him.

Ooooh La La!

You forgot to mention :
"his hands,his hips "....:-))
I am going to it on Thursday evening.
Still don't know how I'll be able to fall asleep ...sleepless night for me ,huh ? cool smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 3, 2010 23:03

kleermaker
As far as I know there's no version of Rocks Off from the Houston shows available. From the two Fort Worth shows this is the best version:

Rocks Off 1972 (Fort Worth, June 24, 2nd)

Thanks Kleermaker. Jagger sings a bit forced (maybe exhousted cause of the swinging on stage), but the band Rocks, & Taylor flavour ofcourse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-03 23:07 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 3, 2010 23:04

I am afraid I missed something.

Does anybody know if there is still chance to see the movie in cinema somewhere in Hamburg?

Any feedback welcome.

Re: Ladies And Gentleman Official DVD Release
Posted by: HabMan ()
Date: October 4, 2010 06:05

Look at the picture.. Mick, Keith, and Charlie - that's a great shot -- Mick and Keith one-two-- Charlie dead centre in between. Mick square into the camera it seems. Now - knowing how Mick moved back in day - the chances of getting a second shot just like that -- gonna be tough. This is the early 70's-- and say what you want about the talents on either Mick T or Bill (no argument here ) - but the fact is simple -- Mick and Keith dictated the Stones juggernaut, and no one was going to @#$%& with Charlie. So the decision that that pic had to be it was never in doubt. The dilemma? Given the size we have to work with -- Mick T or Bill -- one of them has to go.. Do we crop Mick T , meaning photo-wise pushing Mick J even more more to the left-edge and out of the center; and 'coolness'-wise, omitting the guy layng down some of those great solo's on this tour? Or do we crop Bill Wyman??..... I'm OK with the cropped pic...

"..maybe your friends say...."

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 4, 2010 15:53

Ladies and Gentlemen…The Rolling Stones Blu-ray Review
Posted October 3rd, 2010 by Brandon DuHamel

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Video Codec: AVC/MPEG-4
Resolution: 1080p/24
Audio Codec: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, PCM 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles (Interviews Only): English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
Region: ABC (Region-Free)
Rating: Not Rated
Discs: 1
Studio: Eagle Rock Entertainment
Blu-ray Release Date: October 12, 2010
List Price: $19.98

The Film4,5/5

If any other band had recorded four universally praised albums in a row and then just quit after that, it would be enough to make them rock legends. That the Rolling Stones did put out four classic albums in a row after having already established themselves as one of the premier rock bands in the world, and then continued to release quality music beyond that makes them rock gods. The Rolling Stones run from 1968 to 1972 is one of the greatest in rock history. It included the classic albums Beggars Banquet (1968), Let it Bleed (1969), Sticky Fingers (1971), and the double album Exile on Main St. (1972).

Over the course of those four albums, the Rolling Stones honed, and arguably, defined, their classic sound, a combination of all the musical influences they had absorbed from the States over the years. Listen to any one of those albums, and you’ll hear blues, country, bluegrass, gospel, r&b. Perhaps none of them brought those influences together more fluently than 1972’s Exile on Main St., a gritty, ballsy, all out rock ‘n’ roll tour through the dark underbelly of life. Listen to any track and you might find yourself being assaulted by a roadside juke joint, honky tonk, and all out gospel — all in one song, like in “Sweet Virginia,” for example.

Ladies & Gentlemen…The Rolling Stones is the film — long missing in action – that captures the band during their Exile on Main St. tour. Filmed in Texas over four nights in 1972, the concert film features one of the greatest track lists of any Stones concert and one of their best performances captured on film. It’s a rough and ready performance with no backup singers and only a small group of extra musicians to backup the band, leading to a more immediate sounding version of “Tumbling Dice” and an even more agitated sounding performance of “Gimme Shelter.”

The set list is all taken from the 1968 to 1972 period, so fans looking for great numbers like “Get off My Cloud,” “Under My Thumb” or “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” may be a bit disappointed, but the band makes up for those missing numbers in sheer energy. There is not a dull or slow moment in this entire show. The tempi, unless it’s my imagination, seem to get quicker, as the film progresses, although that could very well be a trick of editing just like Mick Jagger’s amazingly quick costume changes.

The lineup for the show included the core band members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, and Mick Taylor, with the band’s longtime musical collaborators Bobby Keys on sax, Jim Price on horns, and Nicky Hopkins on piano.

Stones fans, rock and roll fans, music fans in general, owe it to themselves to pick up this classic rock ‘n’ roll film.

Video Quality3/5
Ladies & Gentlemen, according to the 2010 Mick Jagger interview segment on the disc, was in very bad shape and had to be cleaned up a lot for this release. Still there is plenty of source damage still visible, like scratches right down frames, dust and dirt, but thankfully they have not completely scrubbed the film clean of all evidence of grain, detail, and texture in this 1.85:1 AVC/MPEG-4 1080p/24 encoding. Still, the lighting and production of the day filled with moody and dark stage settings has the image and the band lost in shadows, there’s lots of black crush, and picture is quite soft most of the time. This is not reference material by any stretch of the imagination.

Audio Quality4/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix of Ladies & Gentlemen has been remixed and remastered from the original multitrack masters. The sound is big and ambient, really like what a 70’s quadraphonic mix would sound like. The surround channels are mixed very aggressively, with instrumentation often sounding like it is off to the side rather than in front with reverberation in the rear. Crowd noise in minimal during performances, but is very loud in between songs. The overall balance in the front is what the Stones ought to sound like — grungy, gritty, and rather closed in. Jagger’s vocals are forward in the mix, much more so than on the actual “Exile” studio album.

Supplemental Materials4/5

Ladies & Gentlemen is supplied with exactly the sort of bonus material I like to see on a concert disc. There are extra performances captured during the “Exile” tour practice session at Montreux, there’s an archival interview segment with Mick Jagger and a new 2010 interview with Jagger on the concert. It’s all relevant to the concert, and the bonus performances will offer lots of replay value.

The supplements provided with this release are:

Tour Rehearsal (1.33:1; 480i/60; DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1):
“Shake Your Hips”
“Tumbling Dice”
“Bluesberry Jam”
Old Grey Whistle Test Interview (1.33:1; 480i/60; 0:05.43) — A 1972 interview with Mick Jagger from the Old Grey Whistle Test show.
Mick Jagger Interview 2010 (1.78:1; 1080i/60; 0:10.23) — A new interview with the Stones’ frontman in which he offers his thoughts on the 1972 concert film.
The Definitive Word

Overall:

Gimme Shelter may be famous, or infamous, because of all the events surrounding the actual concert, but you will probably not find a better Rolling Stones concert on film in terms of performance and song selection than Ladies & Gentlemen. This long missing film has finally been restored and re-released in a spruced up high definition release from Eagle Rock that should be in every Stones fan’s collection.

Date: October 4, 2010 16:37

HabMan
Look at the picture.. Mick, Keith, and Charlie - that's a great shot -- Mick and Keith one-two-- Charlie dead centre in between. Mick square into the camera it seems. Now - knowing how Mick moved back in day - the chances of getting a second shot just like that -- gonna be tough. This is the early 70's-- and say what you want about the talents on either Mick T or Bill (no argument here ) - but the fact is simple -- Mick and Keith dictated the Stones juggernaut, and no one was going to @#$%& with Charlie. So the decision that that pic had to be it was never in doubt. The dilemma? Given the size we have to work with -- Mick T or Bill -- one of them has to go.. Do we crop Mick T , meaning photo-wise pushing Mick J even more more to the left-edge and out of the center; and 'coolness'-wise, omitting the guy layng down some of those great solo's on this tour? Or do we crop Bill Wyman??..... I'm OK with the cropped pic...

But about whom do we still talk the most? As for which band member the interviewer asked for Jagger's opinion and about which band member people talked the most after the movie? After which song the whole theatre hall in Rotterdam applauded spontaneously and 'en masse' for the first time? Indeed, after Love In Vain, and they didn't clap especially because of the frontman, not because of Keith's playing on it, not because of Charlie's drumming nor because of Bill's bass guitar. Guess what remained ... to applaud for.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: October 4, 2010 19:37

The popcorn?

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 4, 2010 22:27

I always suspected that the Rocks Off omission from L&G was a bit of self censorship by the band (or movie distributor). Just a feeling. Why else? It's hard to believe that the performance posted by KM was not otherwise suitable for the movie.

In the movie Keith is shot at distance with relatively few close-ups of his playing. Taylor on the otherhand has many close ups on those fingers. Obviously, that was by design by the band and/or movie makers. People mention the lack of "physicality" in Taylor's stage performances (although he is rocking back and forth in time here and there in the movie), but that is not where his "show" is. His show is in the fingers and it is thrilling to watch them in close up. I would LOVE to see a camera shot of his fingers throughout one of those shows. It's one thing to hear it, but another to hear and SEE it. That is why LIV is so engrossing. It only enhances one's appreciation of what he is doing to see it so up close. I daresay the guitar players on this board might find it interesting as well.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 5, 2010 03:57

have it

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 5, 2010 15:12

about which band member people talked the most after the movie?

Who the the hell wants to look at Small Mick' fingers when Big Mick' crotch is on display over therewinking smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 5, 2010 18:42

SwayStones
I am going to it on Thursday evening.

Have some fun and a great evening,Sway...smiling smiley

kleermaker
After which song the whole theatre hall in Rotterdam applauded spontaneously and 'en masse' for the first time? Indeed, after Love In Vain, and they didn't clap especially because of the frontman, not because of Keith's playing on it, not because of Charlie's drumming nor because of Bill's bass guitar. Guess what remained ... to applaud for.

It remained nothing,´cause you´re confusing yourself.
In ´73 Love In Vain wasn´t played during the Europe Tour,
and in 1970 the Stones didn´t play in Rotterdam,so....

Date: October 5, 2010 18:50

shortfatfanny

SFF I better had said: Who remained to applaud for. I'm not confusing myself. The theatre hall in which the movie was shown on Sept. 16 AD 2010. Indeed, applauding during a concert film is really odd. But it happened though.

Posted by: ShootsWaterRats ()
Date: October 5, 2010 22:59

"The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix of Ladies & Gentlemen has been remixed and remastered from the original multitrack masters. The sound is big and ambient, really like what a 70’s quadraphonic mix would sound like."

In addition to the 5.1 mix, does the DVD also feature a new stereo remix, or simply the same stereo mix as in the original film?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 6, 2010 00:03

kleermaker
shortfatfanny

SFF I better had said: Who remained to applaud for. I'm not confusing myself. The theatre hall in which the movie was shown on Sept. 16 AD 2010. Indeed, applauding during a concert film is really odd. But it happened though.

Ok,no problem...when I watched the movie September 2010 in Düsseldorf some people went out and didn´t return.
That was really odd...

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: October 6, 2010 15:38

Right now I have Ladies & Gentlemen in my Blu Ray player. Just picked it up at Müller For Music here in Essen and took the afternoon off....one of the great things of being your own boss! ;-)

What can I say, the picture is STUNNING, forget ALL bootlegs, even the Scorpio and 4reel ones that were sort of the benchmark last couple of years pale in comparission! They went STRAIGHT into the Mülleimer!! :-) It's no blu ray referencematerial but it's a feast for your eyes. Not to mention the sound. i don't have a surround setup so can't decide fully as I read here that the 5.1 mix is very high end but I prefer my sound in stereo and especially music and in PCM stereo it's amazing. The blu ray has a slipcase around it just as the DVD and has a nice booklet with photos that folds into a poster!

The new Jagger interview is very insightfull aswell as the, well known old Grey Whistle Test interview. Montreux rehearsals are unfortunately cut and incomplete as we already knew but are a worthwhile extra. unfortunately the extra are in SD except for the 2010 Jagger interview (obviosuly). Now you can see all his wrinkles in HD!!! :-)

Finally my life's complete! :-)

Hope you all enjoy this amazing release, hope the extra DVD doens't grant me another but for the boxset that will be out next month at a steep 90 Euros!! Instead of this Euro 17.99 BLU RAY!!! But hey, when I recall how many VHs versions and later DVD version I bought to see this show in good quality it is a bargain!! ha ha ha ha

Date: October 6, 2010 18:38

Vielen Dank Susanne.
Now I am really looking forward to my copy. But, bud, butt because I can never resist those special editions, I will have to wait a little bit longer until my boxset arrives.

-------------------

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: October 6, 2010 23:10

anxious, very anxious to receive the dvd and to smileys with beer the boxset

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: October 7, 2010 02:44

Susan:

Thanks for the review. Sounds great. Just wonder if you saw it in the Cinemaa a couple of weeks ago and, if so, how does the picture quality on the DVD compare to that ? The samee ? better? Thanks

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: October 8, 2010 14:43

I went for the Blu ray release as mentioned and can't tell about the DVD. Again it's a great copy, best you'll ever see I think but it's far from reference material for Blu Ray. But you will love it!

Unfortunately i didn't catch it in cinemas. Closest was Arnhem in Holland to Essen and that was on a weekday and coulcn't make it but would had loved to have seen it. I (still) have a original L&G print here which i hope to see sometime! :-)

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 8, 2010 15:11

Susanne - it was screened in Düsseldorf too!

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: October 8, 2010 17:59

I'm looking forward to my L&G dvd - just ordered it from Amazon.co.uk.....!!!

(Plus I ordered the LSTNT dvd as it's going cheap.)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home