Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 20
Re: An L & G Review - sound still disappointing
Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: September 17, 2010 12:08

I saw it in Holland last night and the aound was one of the amazing aspects I thought, at some points it blew me into my chair...maybe it's different per country/equipment(?)

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 17, 2010 12:17

Hi shedooby - was it in stereo in Holland?

The volume and impact of the sound was powerful in the London showing, but it was in mono.

Can anyone else confirm if stereo or mono in their country?

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 17, 2010 12:35

I saw it yesterday in Copenhagen - and I was a bit disappointed with the sound too. There was no significant improvement compared to the bootlegs I've heard.

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: September 17, 2010 12:42

I saw it in here in Hawaii.
It was great. They actually had two speakers set up in front of the screen. My first thought was that they were using the quad soundtrack, but I came back to reality and realized it was probably surround sound.

It was absolutely great! Loved seeing it in a theater. Everybody clapped at the end. Lots of people were tapping their foots to the songs. Got a chick to go with me who knows only a couple of Stones songs and is now blown away. Wants me to lend her their music. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 12:43 by akgameboy.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: September 17, 2010 12:46

WeLoveYou
Hi shedooby - was it in stereo in Holland?

The volume and impact of the sound was powerful in the London showing, but it was in mono.

Can anyone else confirm if stereo or mono in their country?

Mono but very powerful mono, but probably the high volume, big screen and theatre setting helped to (plus a few ice cold lagers of course...;-))

Date: September 17, 2010 12:51

I still can't get over cinemas showing L&G in mono, considering it's a film with multi-channel audio. Plus, the dvd will no doubt be multi-channel / dolby surround.

Of all places you would expect to experience multi-channel sound, it's a cinema! But they have L&G in mono!

(Sorry - I'll shut up about this now.....)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 12:53 by WeLoveYou.

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - DVD and movie
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: September 17, 2010 15:06

Yippe!!!

It's saturday afternoon and i'm about to head to the pub to meet some mates before we get a taxi to coventry showcase to see the film tonight!smileys with beer

Lets hope I don't get chucked out the cinema for dancing like I did for Shine a Light.

Now lets go! I got some rockin to do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 15:06 by Monkeytonkman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 17, 2010 15:43

MT was the hightlight his melodic and fluid playing centerstage. I am waiting for MT's solo on Tumbling Dice and I always hated when Keith faces MT and shuts him down and his solo. And keith on YCAGWYY opening rhythm when he looks over at Wyman and I think says you are playing to loud. Well that night it was MT's band just as much as keith and MT carried the band

play that guitar boy

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 17, 2010 16:13

>> looks over at Wyman and I think says ... <<

mercy: he's telling a techie that he's got feedback

Date: September 17, 2010 16:25

There's the bit at the end of JJF where they play the closing riff twice in error, instead of once. I think Keith makes a sign to someone, as if to say, why did we do that bit wrong?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 17, 2010 16:27

but the fact is keith is being keith and he looks over and he is not happy about his opening intro being messed up. that is all

play that guitar boy

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: September 17, 2010 16:29

mickschix
I bought my ticket tonight on the way home from work and the girl who sold me my ticket said it's in 3-D....I said I didn't think it was. Is it in 3-D??
Ha, I had the same thing, basically. It must be part of some wider confusion.
DiamondDog7
One thing... the sound wasn't that great. Right after Tumblin' Dice the sound became softer or something.
I noticed the same thing, although I'm not sure when exactly. They also seemed to turn down the bass.
CindyC
Keith Richards was first. Why was Keith first and not any of the other guys?
Huh? Mick was first...

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 17, 2010 17:01

i did see the movie in tilburg yesterday and it was amazing! a pity the peeople of the cinema didnt like it that much as they did lower the volume during the second song... (but sound still great smiling smiley but if i had the controls i would put it higher lol) if they show it again sometime i deffinately go again smiling smiley

Great to see a young Mick Taylor (gosh i can imagine the girls did like...), Keith and Mick on mike, Bill standing in the corner and Charlie great as ever (i think he's the only one who didnt change lol).

Before the concert they did show a 10~15 minute interview with Sir Mick Jagger smiling smiley

Menno

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Re: No Ladies & Gentlemen in the Oslo Area?
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 17, 2010 17:57

I saw it yesterday in Trondheim. I know that I sound like a Richard Nixon kind of thing, but there was noise, noise, and noise all over. I had to plug my ears. I bought my ticket 5 minutes before the show started, and only got second row, far on the side. During the interview, Mick said that the band was very "on", as compared to "lackadaisical". I wonder if the Stones ever has been something else than "on", if you by that mean that they play some of their songs a little too fast, when in concert?

1972 must have just between hippie and glam. Maybe "Country" was a little "in" that year. Just think of Keith`s cowboy shoes. Besides, Gram Parsons was at Nelcote. -And think of the glitter below Mick`s eyes! Decadence had set in. Mick hadn`t much room to move on stage. One reviewer said Keith was in a drugged out haze. How can he know? He looked quite normal to me.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 17, 2010 17:59

I saw it last night as well, with about 10 other die-hards in our local theatre. As a fan who has never seen that line-up of musicians live in concert, I thought it was phenomenal.

The one lasting thought is that "Happy" should NEVER, EVER, EVER be played again live without Mick on stage. That is the greatest duet song EVER, in my humble opinion.

Long Live The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 18:17

I too had issues with the sound last night. I'm sure that was the fault of the guy running the projector.

Overall, fanstastic.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 17, 2010 18:21

Kurt
The one lasting thought is that "Happy" should NEVER, EVER, EVER be played again live without Mick on stage. That is the greatest duet song EVER, in my humble opinion.

I agree - and they look so great singing together which is a huge bonus.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 17, 2010 18:21

custom55
I too had issues with the sound last night. I'm sure that was the fault of the guy running the projector.

ummm....ok. reminds me of when my dad gets flustered and tells me he can't hear me cos he can't find his glasses....

Date: September 17, 2010 18:44

"He's gone smell blind!"

(Dewey Cox quote - just makes me laugh, doesn't really fit with what you said")

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 17, 2010 18:59

the smallness of the stage is such a benefit... mick only bursts out of his center area a couple of times, which makes it seem ecstatic. And bill plants himself right out front! Not in the back a la, say, Entwistle. mick somewhat dances around at points, and there's no doubt bill has his own zone.

one thing noticed at the program of Stones TV appearances that I attended the other night (discussed in another thread) and again here is that charlie is not nearly so deadpan as bill, particularly in the late '60s-early '70s. He really gets into the groove, rolls his head back a la keith, brings the songs to a crashing end... I don't know if it was the chemicals he was preferring in these years, or something about the way the band was gelling, but he more fits the "drummer as rock and roll animal" model than his current image would suggest. His neanderthal features only add to it. bill is the true stone-face in this period.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 17, 2010 19:02

I saw it at a local theatre last night. Only about 10 people in the audience. Sound wasn't very good. People that were their must have been asleep,they didn't make a sound. But very good footage. I'd heard most of this material on the Ft Worth Express boot(thanks to ChrisM). But seeing Mick Taylor effortlessly just play outstanding licks was awesome. Even better,was the focus on the music. No 50 story stages or 10 backing musicians. They could handle it themselves. Although funny how the setlist hasn't really changed all that much since '72. Also could have done without the Mick interview. They could have saved that for the DVD.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 17, 2010 19:06

sweetcharmedlife
Also could have done without the Mick interview. They could have saved that for the DVD.

then you would have paid over full price (in NYC it was $20) for about 70 minutes of show.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 19:25

Star Focker
He said that they omitted "Rocks Off" because he doesn't really like the song, that the guitars were out of tune, and it almost didn't make the "Stones in Exile" DVD. (Not sure what he meant -- I may have misunderstood.)

He said it was being considered for the "Stones in Exile" DVD, but it didn't make it because the guitars were too out of tune, and the rendition was terrible. I don't recall him saying he hated the song, maybe he said he hated that particular performance of it

Star Focker
There appear to be three cameras. One in the front row -- thus looking up at the band. 2) a telephoto lens that has difficulty keeping Mick in the frame. And one behind the band.

Maybe Four Camera's: one to the side of Bill (although this was lost around the last three numbers, and the one behind Charlie was picked up about 2 numbers left; they may be the same camera)

DandelionPowderman
Remixed music? Are you sure?

The music was definitely remixed where I was, but I think some theaters didn't bother making the attempt to use stereo or surround sound. My theatre was in stereo, but not surround sound. I think that there were no specific instructions given to the theaters for when they were showing this.

cc
Bill got a notably weak reception. Do non-fans not know who he is?

At my show, two punks behind me were commenting during that saying, "that guy sucks, it's no wonder they got a f'in n'ger."

As you can imagine it took a lot not to say something.

FreeBird
DiamondDog7
One thing... the sound wasn't that great. Right after Tumblin' Dice the sound became softer or something.
I noticed the same thing, although I'm not sure when exactly. They also seemed to turn down the bass.

I think some theaters took it upon themselves to change the mix a bit during the show, this didn't happen at mine. You can do this, I have been in a projection room and they have an equalizer.

Date: September 17, 2010 20:02

chenry9195
At my show, two punks behind me were commenting during that saying, "that guy sucks, it's no wonder they got a f'in n'ger."

That is crazy - people are so gross.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 17, 2010 21:05

>> There's the bit at the end of JJF where they play the closing riff twice in error, instead of once.
I think Keith makes a sign to someone, as if to say, why did we do that bit wrong? <<

smile: a sign indeed: he's giving the finger to Mr Charles Watts for ending JJF before Keith was done with it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 23:31 by with sssoul.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 21:07

A re-post to topic.....

We saw it in downtown Sacramento. I went to hear a big sound. I was also curious about the media/audience response to this release. I was disappointed on both points. The sound was terrible, too low, muddy and fluctuating. You had to sit and LISTEN to hear to what was going on when I wanted to be hit in the face with it. A BIG disappointment. This morning I listened to my version of "You Can't Do That Baby" and it is better than what we heard last night.

I saw nothing in the paper beforehand about it although we saw one trailer in a theater a week or so ago. Perhaps 20 people in the theater. Many were younger than us. There was one clap when Keith approached the mic for Happy. Otherwise a subdued crowd listening to a mostly subdued volume of audio.

No surprises in the movie. Taylor remains the enduring point of interest for me. I wish his guitar was a bit more up in the mix. LIV is stunning. Again, I locked in on every note. So did Jagger. A great, great moment for the band. A tasteful, but subdued GS solo. DF a treat if they would just turn it up! Not a bad song or performance in the bunch. The band in its prime and enormously competent.

The '69 tour is still my favorite. I would love to see a L&G version from that tour. But the band did itself proud in this movie. It is the band's greatest testament from that era or any other.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 17, 2010 21:14

Well, I was in Rotterdam yesterday, the city where I attended one of the 1973 concerts and I got the feeling of that concert again, though a bit less of course. Anyway, it was a full house, spontaneous applause after Love In Vain (the incredible Mick Taylor), clapping when Sweet Virginia started. I had no high expectations about the sound quality, but it was good to my ears. At a certain moment the volume went down a bit but that didn't last long. Mick Taylor was very visible, just like on the famous bootlegwinking smiley. He carried the concert without any doubt. My daughter (not being a Stones connoisseur at all but a very clever young lady) was with me and her comment that without Taylor Richards and the whole band would have had a big problem was spot on. Well, history has proven that. That said I must say that Jagger still was Jagger and not a persiflage of Jagger, that Richards was playing as good as he could, that Wyman was a reliable force in the rhythm section, that Charlie was very audible and doing a real good job. But most important: here we could see a band that enjoyed playing, that presented all styles of their music: rock, blues, mid tempo, ballad - everything, in the best quality of those days but not at their very best yet (that was of course in 1973, same city in Holland). We could see and hear a real band play, the music being the most important thing. A very tight band, very motivated and playing together very well. No posing, no fake, no smoking, no air guitar, just 5 guys making wonderful music. Ladies and gentlemen, you just saw and heard the real Rolling Stones!

Date: September 17, 2010 21:17

If it was done in stereo we might gave heard Mick T better, but he was often buried on the mono mix.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 21:37

for the mono mix, and Mick Taylor, Mick Taylor didn't play at every second of every song. In fact some songs all he does is the refrain and solo.

CindyC
chenry9195

That is crazy - people are so gross.

yeah I hate teenagers, except those in my family and a few others.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: September 17, 2010 22:45

I'm really surprised about how the sound mix varied so much in the theaters
In my theater they blasted it and it sounded great!
Guess we were lucky....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2809
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home