Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 20
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - DVD and movie
Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: September 17, 2010 23:12

Unfortunately, i don't think i'll ever be able see this on the big screen w/full Quadrophonic concert sound the way i did in 1974 at the Ziegfeld in NYC...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 17, 2010 23:22

taylorites, avast! Hard to believe you'd use this great testament to the excellence of the _band_ as a unit as a platform for your mythmaking (and vibrating).

I'd never trade a wyman for a taylor, just as an example...

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 23:59

I went to the Burlington, MA viewing and it was spectacular! So wonderful seeing the boys on the silver screen, just an absolute joy. I was bobbing in my seat the whole time, with a smile on my face! I have seen the movie, oh about 20 times as I used to own a VHS copy and now have a dvd bootleg copy.

The picture was about the same quality as my bootleg version and the sound was a bit off at times, again resembling my bootleg copy.

As for the volume, oh man, when Brown Sugar came on, we were all looking at each other saying this is way to low, other people in the audience starting yelling "turn it up" and finally one of my friends ran out back or somewhere and grabbed a manger and by the time Bitch came on they had increased the volume to "very very loud!!!"

Great time . . . The things I wished happened, however, was why on earth didn't they film later in the tour, they seemed to be a bit more on later on thet tour, for instances compare Philly Gimme Shelter to the Houston Gimme Shelter and its much more powerful . . . but nothing we can do. I have to admitt I thought perhaps they had fixed the audio for Happy but to no avail . . .

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 18, 2010 00:04

Ha - that's were I was too! You must have been in the row right near mine cuz I saw that guy get up to fix the volume.

Thanks to him - it made a huge difference!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:35

cc
taylorites, avast! Hard to believe you'd use this great testament to the excellence of the _band_ as a unit as a platform for your mythmaking (and vibrating).

Taylor is dominate in this movie - no mistake about that. His playing is superb.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:41

Shawn20
cc

Taylor is dominate in this movie - no mistake about that. His playing is superb.

One doesn't have to be a 'taylorite' to observe that. Even Jagger's interviewer did, and Mick couldn't but confirm. Live with it, cc.

Date: September 18, 2010 01:45

I was surprised Taylor reference was included in the interview. Cudos to the Stones for including it. It would have been very easy to snip that bit out.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:56

Am I the only one who cried while watching this movie? The interview was great, I thought, even though Mick hates discussing the past! His eyes were twinkling, but to see the absolute beauty of this man I've watched for over 40 years at his peak and to realize that the old Mick is gone...and then the realization that none of us will look like we did in the 70's. IT HURT!! Oh, I know, some of you youngsters didn't grow up with the Stones like us Baby Boomers did. Star Focker, you nailed it, Mick was a FORCE OF NATURE. I was thinking as I watched it that I'd never seen anything more beautiful than Mick commanding the stage. Midnight Rambler was over the top. Talk about sensuality!! Pure theatre!! And Mick Taylor was spellbinding, watching the fluidity of his style of play...that version of the Stones was the best, IMO. He looked like a deer in the headlights at times, not comfortable when not playing his leads. I noticed the way Mick watched him playing, appreciating how great he was.
At my show in Pittsfield, Ma, the sound started off a bit low but it was perfect by the third song. We had a full house!! I sat next to an old lady who said, " how does he change his outfits that often!"? I had to reply, explaining that it was not filmed at ONE show but over several nights. GEE!!
The lasting impression for me was the sheer power of that band at their pinnacle. Nothing touched them! I own a bootleg of the movie so tonight I plan on watching it to see how the new version compares to it. I'll try not to get bummed out this time.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:05

Where I saw it, I thought the sound was decent, considering it wasn't done with the quality of today's concert films.

I wasn't expecting much because I saw the Elvis movie in the exact same theater a few weeks back and the sound was pretty bad I thought. The sound for L&G was much better than Elvis in Concert. So I think that it just shows to go ya that if you don't expect much, the odds are you will walk away more satisfied than expected.

BTW the theater, which I estimate to hold about 175 to 200 people was about 2/3 full. A few songs such as Love in Vein and Midnight Rambler drew applause, as did the introductions and the end of the movie, but nobody was dancing or moving around much during the songs.

The volume was muted the first 5 minutes of the Jagger interview, then everyone started yelling "from the Beginning" and they re-wound it. the volume was steady throughout the show. The theater used is the most isolated one in the Cineplex, which is good for volume purposes. I was satisfied.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:19

Interesting seeing a 70s concert film I saw 40x in 70s and not since, and comparing it to LSTNT, at the Max, Shine a Light and other concert films from the big screen. The band was tighter on a smaller stage, height of their career possibly, but I'd have to go back and compare to some other live shows from 75, 81 and maybe other tours. I'll definitely take the newer film technology, angles, sound, etc. If Scorcese had shot this with SAL crew, etc, it wouldve rocked, but it was still just an overload of Mick. Stu was in the credits as 'invisible piano" or something like that as I never saw him, barely saw Nicky H.

All in all a good show-

Johh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 21:48 by chelskeith.

Date: September 18, 2010 02:28

I agree about Mick's teeth. I felt the same. He is gettin older - superb shirt - looked a custom Brooks Brothers.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:28

Before the actual showing of the movie last night, a woman came on to tell us, that they unfortunately had´nt received the 5.1 version, and that those who wished to leave and get a refund could do so in the first half hour. No one did, even though it was in mono. However, it clearly showed the upgrade was´nt done for cinemas, as the picture was not much better than my versions on numerous boots. So I suspect the remastering was done for TV-screens, as the samples in the Exile doc looked excellent on my 46`. Seems Sweden is the only country that´ll show the movie for 5 days in a row.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: September 18, 2010 02:29

The audience seemed very subdued until the end of the show. Granted, you couldn't see them much and that might be a good thing. We all have visions of the 72 tour and the racous crowds - they seemed to be sitting through the middle of the show. Very strange indeed.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 18, 2010 03:06

kleermaker
Shawn20
cc

One doesn't have to be a 'taylorite' to observe that. Even Jagger's interviewer did, and Mick couldn't but confirm. Live with it, cc.

well, he is somewhat buried in the mix at times, and the band still sounds superb. The shows capture taylor-ifics at its best, but I wouldn't agree that he dominates--plays his part to perfection, yes, but it's just one part of 5 (or 6, or 8... or 9, if Stu was indeed playing in the dark). I suggest there's a "Taylor Effect" based on the fact that the viewer knows the chance won't come again to see him in such glory whereas the other Stones went on touring for decades (and several other films), and this perhaps leads one to overrate the taylor-quotient of the overall brew.

as for the crowd being quiet in the middle, it could just be how they're mixed. Or they could have been quiet... there are about 20 minutes of slow numbers there in the set, and mick definitely subdues the mood, generally whispering sweet nothings to the crowd as keith tunes for ages between numbers (the one flaw in the show).

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 18, 2010 03:39

Well, you see, back in those days, the old folks used to call it noise. Now I`ve become that old myself, and I feel the same way too...

Date: September 18, 2010 04:25

Saw it in Irvine, Ca last night. So here are my thoughts.

First the positive. Sound was great. Bright and crisp.

Now the negative. This appears to be a straight dup from the film. Very little, if any, attempt was made to improve picture quality. Yes, I know it's dark, as Mick said. But with todays technology, much could have been done. Reds and blues were over saturated. It was sometimes hard to watch. Chroma and luminescence can be adjusted once it's digitized. There was 'ghosting' on many of the shots. Again, this can be corrected. There were several shots with Mick on left side of the screen in a red spot and Keith was on the right with a blue. Keith was unrecognizable. This can be improved. It's only a slight improvement from the 4Reel release. But probably because the 4Reel issue is a generation or two down.

Why so critical? I have friend who's into video and he has commercially available video processors, both stand alone and computer programs. When I get a concert (ie bootleg) dvd that has colour shift, or the picture is too bright or dull, I give it to him. He has taken vertually unwatchable dvd/video and made them almost broadcast quality. All on a home computer! He can even resync sound if it's off. It can be done. Maybe it was the theatre, but if I'm gonna shell out $40 for a BluRay disc, it better be an improvement.

It was fun to watch on the big screen in a theatre with fellow Stones fans, but I walked out disappointed. I was like watching a bootleg with great sound.

Anyone else have similar impressions?

Scotty

Posted by: oldfool ()
Date: September 18, 2010 06:21

mickijaggeroo
Before the actual showing of the movie last night, a woman came on to tell us, that they unfortunately had´nt received the 5.1 version, and that those who wished to leave and get a refund could do so in the first half hour. No one did, even though it was in mono. However, it clearly showed the upgrade was´nt done for cinemas, as the picture was not much better than my versions on numerous boots. So I suspect the remastering was done for TV-screens, as the samples in the Exile doc looked excellent on my 46`. Seems Sweden is the only country that´ll show the movie for 5 days in a row.

Which movie theater was this? I hope it wasn't Bio Rio...

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 18, 2010 06:25

After sitting through roughly twenty minutes of movie trailers, it soon became apparent that I had waltzed my merry cohorts straight into a screening of "Nanny McPhee Returns".

Further proof, I guess, of my inability to lead.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 18, 2010 06:35

cirrhosis
After sitting through roughly twenty minutes of movie trailers, it soon became apparent that I had waltzed my merry cohorts straight into a screening of "Nanny McPhee Returns".

Further proof, I guess, of my inability to lead.

Now Thats Funny

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 18, 2010 07:06

Shawn20
I was surprised Taylor reference was included in the interview. Cudos to the Stones for including it.
How could you when his playing in the movie is so prevalent and dominating?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-18 07:13 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 08:30

CindyC
Ha - that's were I was too! You must have been in the row right near mine cuz I saw that guy get up to fix the volume.

Thanks to him - it made a huge difference!

Hey CindyC . . . . No way! Nice! Yeah my buddy is an independent filmaker and as soon as Brown Sugar started he was like, "oh no, this is not happening like this!" LOL, it was great! I live in Salem and my office is in Woburn, where are you?

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: September 18, 2010 10:07

I saw the movie Thursday night and have to say it was quite good. The Stones were smokin' on that tour. They sounded just as good as they did in 1969. I think most Stones fans will be pleased.

Rob

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 10:18

mixchix, what a wonderful post you wrote. Very inspiring and from the heart. Thanks!

Date: September 18, 2010 11:41

oldfool
mickijaggeroo

Which movie theater was this? I hope it wasn't Bio Rio...

This was in Göteborg. Sad to say that the Vikings that attended the movie in Stockholm left after a while, since the manager refused to increase the volume. So the volume was not higher than a regular movie. And the sound was crap too, they say.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 18, 2010 11:44

mickijaggeroo
Sad to say that the Vikings that attended the movie in Stockholm left after a while

One left. Three stayed until the end.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: September 18, 2010 11:50

As much as I visit this site I don’t often post so here goes…

I have seen this film previously (thanks hot stuff) but was not going to miss out on the opportunity to see our boys up on the silver screen in all their glory.
I went along to the Showcase in Nantgarw to watch the film and was accompanied by my wife and two boys. First thing to point out was an incredibly low turnout, there were only 19 folks present including us four but did this dampen our enjoyment of the film, did it heck!
Don’t claim to be an expert on audio but it sounded pretty good for a cinema albeit a few dips here and there with Bitch being a notable exception, something strange was going on with the sound on that song - very ‘wobbly’.

We get to Gimme Shelter then things start hitting the groove. Who can not warm to Mick Taylor’s fluid guitar work and or be charmed by Keith for his love of playing and indeed for just ‘being’.

Whilst it’s normally a given that Charlie and Bill were solid at the back combined with Keith driving the rhythm we were blown away with the power and energy that comes at you through the screen…absolutely blown away… I’m so jealous that I was but a snip a lad back in their hey day!

Ok now, Keith has always been my fav stone - and always will be but to give credit were due Mick Jagger most definitely had his Swagger and Game on in those days and whilst he may not have been the prettiest of men (imo) I can kind of get why he was such a sex symbol back then. I was very impressed by just how commanding and endearing he was coming across on the screen.

The whole set was amazing and as previously mentioned ‘Happy’ is killer - just loved the interaction between the glimmer twin’s and the joy they shared. All down the line, whilst never in my top ten was a joy to behold when I looked across to my family to witness them all singing along and rocking back and forth in their chairs. Loved Midnight Rambler and Love in Vain but the thing that stood out was the final four songs that just simply felt like the boys had taken twenty minutes of rock and roll and slammed it into ten minutes of pure unadulterated, primeval, catch us if you can or if you dare moments of magic!

Yeah we all enjoyed it immensely. Best part of the whole night was when my 14 year old boy said it was a shame it wasn’t advertised because so many people have missed out on the best concert they are likely to see, he loved and wanted that the songs from that show on his mp3 ASAP!!

Just in case you had any doubts Ladies and Gentlemen gets a big Five Star Thumbs Up from us!!!

Date: September 18, 2010 12:08

erikjjf
mickijaggeroo
Sad to say that the Vikings that attended the movie in Stockholm left after a while

One left. Three stayed until the end.

Aha, I only heard from the one who left winking smiley
I thought you all left, my bad.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-18 12:09 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 18, 2010 14:15

Despite the cinema being not even a quarter full, and some annoying people who clapped at the end of each song...I was very impressed..I have the bootleg version and I think it has stayed pretty true to the gigs. I did notice a mysterious mandolin being played through Sweet Virginia, which I guess was an overdub which would indicate there could be other bits dubbed. But, all in all it was a high energy, vicious rock and roll film catching the Stones at their very best. Wish they would release the dvd in Uk (not blu ray) and the soundtrack!

Street Fighting Man - better than ever?
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: September 18, 2010 15:48

As I was watching it two days ago, I realized that they had truly saved the best for last - Street Fighting Man (already my favorite song) seemed better than ever! Now, I wonder if it was truly the best (because it seemed better than the versions from '73, even), or that I was misled by being able to see them play. When I get the DVD, I'll have to do another comparison, because it to my ears it apparently really sounded better, more energetic and perhaps even faster than any other version I've heard.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 18, 2010 17:30

[email protected]
Saw it in Irvine, Ca last night. So here are my thoughts.

First the positive. Sound was great. Bright and crisp.

Now the negative. This appears to be a straight dup from the film. Very little, if any, attempt was made to improve picture quality. Yes, I know it's dark, as Mick said. But with todays technology, much could have been done. Reds and blues were over saturated. It was sometimes hard to watch. Chroma and luminescence can be adjusted once it's digitized. There was 'ghosting' on many of the shots. Again, this can be corrected. There were several shots with Mick on left side of the screen in a red spot and Keith was on the right with a blue. Keith was unrecognizable. This can be improved. It's only a slight improvement from the 4Reel release. But probably because the 4Reel issue is a generation or two down.

Why so critical? I have friend who's into video and he has commercially available video processors, both stand alone and computer programs. When I get a concert (ie bootleg) dvd that has colour shift, or the picture is too bright or dull, I give it to him. He has taken vertually unwatchable dvd/video and made them almost broadcast quality. All on a home computer! He can even resync sound if it's off. It can be done. Maybe it was the theatre, but if I'm gonna shell out $40 for a BluRay disc, it better be an improvement.

It was fun to watch on the big screen in a theatre with fellow Stones fans, but I walked out disappointed. I was like watching a bootleg with great sound.

Anyone else have similar impressions?

Scotty

I saw it in Long Beach, the same theatre where I saw "Concert for George" when it was shown before DVD release. The image quality of this Harrison tribute film didn't look very good in this cinema because they were projecting video (not even HD quality)and the colors were kind of washed out. And I could see resolution lines, just like I did for "Ladies and Gents" the other night.

But when I bought the "George" DVD it looked very sharp and crisp, and the colors were vivid, so I think the "Ladies and Gentlemen" DVD, especially the Blu-Ray, will knock everyone out. The preview clip of "All Down the Line" that was posted on Amazon on the "Exile" re-release page looked very, very, good.

The look of Thursday's screening didn't come anywhere close to the clarity of seeing actual projected film during it's initial run in '74...and the volume and power of the quad sound from those speakers stacked to the ceiling back then could never be recreated in a multi-plex, but at least we got to see it one more time on a big screen with an audience, even if they were a bunch of geezers. Like me.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home