Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 7, 2017 20:14

me thinks that if mick put out these tracks not because he needed to do, as he stated, but with the idea of becoming some sort of part of the teenage club culture he deludes himself big time.

on the other hand this has nothing to do with the quality of them tunes

i dont give a f what a teenage thinks of old mick, i like EL and exspecially I like the version ft skepta and keep spinning it a lot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-07 20:15 by maumau.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 7, 2017 20:26

maumau
a weight that incidentally suits her uncle views 100% ;-)

I don't know. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. I mean, how many 22-year-old women who "really loved" Xeyed Heart can there even be? I, for one, am impressed!

Date: August 7, 2017 20:32

LongBeachArena72
maumau

I don't know. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. I mean, how many 22-year-old women who "really loved" Xeyed Heart can there even be? I, for one, am impressed!

absolutely, with me we are four that deeply love CH: you, hairball, the youngster and me
cheers

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 7, 2017 20:36

LongBeachArena72
maumau

Lol, like I said, it was the Norah Jones collab. she really loved and hooked her in. Not sure how long she played the entire album, and maybe she was just being polite when she said "she loved it", but she has eclectic tastes, and even likes weird things like Captain Beefheart, Nick Cave, and Tom Waits.

Date: August 7, 2017 20:37

maumau
LongBeachArena72
maumau

absolutely, with me we are four that deeply love CH: you, hairball, the youngster and me
cheers

Easy there, mm, you three can have Xeyed Heart. I'll just go back to my Jerry Garcia Band jams.

Date: August 7, 2017 20:44

LongBeachArena72
maumau
LongBeachArena72
maumau

cheers

Easy there, mm, you three can have Xeyed Heart. I'll just go back to my Jerry Garcia Band jams.

ahahahhhah
smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 7, 2017 20:50

LongBeachArena72
maumau
LongBeachArena72
maumau

cheers

As has been said with the Mick solo tunes, give it some time and it just might grow on you haha.
Doesn't matter it's almost two years old, you just need to keep listening!!!

winking smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 8, 2017 01:01

Maindefender
TeddyB1018
Ahem. "Saddled with The Rolling Stones."

Jagger is saddled with Mick Jagger

Unfortunately Mick thinks that sometimes. To quote my late manager, a good friend of his, "Mick is embarrassed that he became famous as a rock 'n' roll star." If true, that's sad, because there are very few of them up there with Mick Jagger.

As for millennials, the Stones have the same issue as other superstars with a deep catalogue. If their classic material is new to someone, it's expecting a lot for them to push through it all enough to be interested in the new stuff. The high concept blues album was one way around that trap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 01:05 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2017 01:03

................. Gotta Get A Grip ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2017 02:44

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
Doxa
These @#$%& double standars in this site. These bloody "Keith Richards is the second coming of Christ" people. When I said something controversial in that Keith Richards solo album thread, that was a reason to screaem and shout "oh that horrible Doxa isn't he bad, he is spoiling our party?". Dandelion Powderman was so angry that he not just delated all of his posts in that thread but he also kicked me out of (his) IORR band (that supposed to play next month in Amsterdam). Now I am sure anything as bitching and propaganda-like people like Hairball are saying is perfectly allright by our Dandelinion Powderman. Because it is only about Mick Jagger.

Thank you jeezus richards almighty! I simply hate double standards.

And @#$%& you!

- Doxa

Yeah energitic Dandie Powergame and his selfrightiousness and dopplestandards are 90% of the time no gain for this site, and Hairball neither. It's sad but understandable that you take yet another pause. Your posts will be missed.

What did I do now...

you're just being you...you can't help it.

BBD-bring back doxa

I can't help being self-righteous, with double standards... Yes, I'm sure that's why Doxa left.

Nice to see a serious and heartfelt post from you again. Thanks.

Well, don't want to trouble you but I was being serious.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 8, 2017 02:50

I heard Gotta Get a Grip on WXRT Chicago today. It didn't present as well on the car radio as in the video (and I was kind of eh about the video). Mick seemed a bit low in the mix, oddly.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 8, 2017 04:14

TeddyB1018
Maindefender
TeddyB1018
Ahem. "Saddled with The Rolling Stones."

Jagger is saddled with Mick Jagger

Unfortunately Mick thinks that sometimes. To quote my late manager, a good friend of his, "Mick is embarrassed that he became famous as a rock 'n' roll star." If true, that's sad, because there are very few of them up there with Mick Jagger.

As for millennials, the Stones have the same issue as other superstars with a deep catalogue. If their classic material is new to someone, it's expecting a lot for them to push through it all enough to be interested in the new stuff. The high concept blues album was one way around that trap.

So here we are a month until another tour. How does Michael continue to get coerced into being Mick Jagger? How much love does Blue and Lonesome get from the band on stage? Why not play one of the "hot" songs from next year's album? Have some real fun, we'll understand...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2017 12:24

................... Gotta Get a Grip ........

ROCKMAN

Date: August 8, 2017 12:47

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
Doxa
These @#$%& double standars in this site. These bloody "Keith Richards is the second coming of Christ" people. When I said something controversial in that Keith Richards solo album thread, that was a reason to screaem and shout "oh that horrible Doxa isn't he bad, he is spoiling our party?". Dandelion Powderman was so angry that he not just delated all of his posts in that thread but he also kicked me out of (his) IORR band (that supposed to play next month in Amsterdam). Now I am sure anything as bitching and propaganda-like people like Hairball are saying is perfectly allright by our Dandelinion Powderman. Because it is only about Mick Jagger.

And @#$%& you!

- Doxa

Yeah energitic Dandie Powergame and his selfrightiousness and dopplestandards are 90% of the time no gain for this site, and Hairball neither. It's sad but understandable that you take yet another pause. Your posts will be missed.

What did I do now...

BBD-bring back doxa

I can't help being self-righteous, with double standards... Yes, I'm sure that's why Doxa left.

I know, Treacle, but what did you really say?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 14:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 8, 2017 14:05

Mick Jagger Released 2 New Songs 10 Days Ago and They’ve Sold Two Thousand Copies Apiece

Roger Friedman - August 7, 2017

It pains me to write this because I’m a fan of a lot of Mick Jagger’s solo work. But the famed Rolling Stone has treated his career like a hobby, and it’s rarely been attended with much follow up.

So that’s the story of the two singles he dropped and no one picked up on July 27th. Mick spontaneously released “Gotta Get a Grip” and “England Lost” with no warning and no promotion. And it wasn’t like they were spur of the moment projects. They were accompanied by handsome short films– videos– that took time to prepare.

Nevertheless, 10 days later, Mick needs to “Get a Grip.” Each single has sold 2,000 copies or less. “Grip” is slightly more successful because it’s better. “England Lost” is a sonic mess. Both tracks, though mixed and remixed by top contemporary producers, sound a little like U2 circa “Mysterious Ways.”

Radio has pretty much ignored the tracks, as well. But that happens to every legacy artist. Classic rock stations hypocritically play all the old music by Rock Stars, but refuse to support their new material. It’s really stupid– they’re killing the future of their own business.

As for Mick, I wish he had gone more in the direction of covers a la the Stones’ last and very successful album, “Blue and Lonesome.” Instead of blues he could have revived some soul hits. Or country. Alas, this experiment seems as though it will be marked as a two-off souvenir for the summer of 2017.

[www.showbiz411.com]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 8, 2017 14:19

Since BTB at least in studio The Rolling as a real band (composition process) is an illusion.
Marketing fake.

No real collaboration between Mick and Keith.
Each one works on his side and bring his own songs.
And often with other (additional) musicians

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 14:26 by powerage78.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 8, 2017 14:41

bye bye johnny
Mick Jagger Released 2 New Songs 10 Days Ago and They’ve Sold Two Thousand Copies Apiece

Roger Friedman - August 7, 2017

It pains me to write this because I’m a fan of a lot of Mick Jagger’s solo work. But the famed Rolling Stone has treated his career like a hobby, and it’s rarely been attended with much follow up.

So that’s the story of the two singles he dropped and no one picked up on July 27th. Mick spontaneously released “Gotta Get a Grip” and “England Lost” with no warning and no promotion. And it wasn’t like they were spur of the moment projects. They were accompanied by handsome short films– videos– that took time to prepare.

Nevertheless, 10 days later, Mick needs to “Get a Grip.” Each single has sold 2,000 copies or less. “Grip” is slightly more successful because it’s better. “England Lost” is a sonic mess. Both tracks, though mixed and remixed by top contemporary producers, sound a little like U2 circa “Mysterious Ways.”

Radio has pretty much ignored the tracks, as well. But that happens to every legacy artist. Classic rock stations hypocritically play all the old music by Rock Stars, but refuse to support their new material. It’s really stupid– they’re killing the future of their own business.

As for Mick, I wish he had gone more in the direction of covers a la the Stones’ last and very successful album, “Blue and Lonesome.” Instead of blues he could have revived some soul hits. Or country. Alas, this experiment seems as though it will be marked as a two-off souvenir for the summer of 2017.

[www.showbiz411.com]

Outside of iorr these are the cold facts.
Mick without the Stones is a No No, no really, thank you , but if its all the same, no. Especially if its crap. No one wants it, no one buys it, and they certainly don't want to take the time to play it 7 times until they think they get it. If anyone had any sense they would have listened to these two desperate offerings and gone 'ok, now can we just forget this happened and sweep it under the carpet'. Not magnified this colossal late life crises with a microscope. This male menopausal embarrassment had me believing it would be a big hit when i played it 7 or 8 times. But what i forgot was who out there (non Stones Fan ) is going to listen to it that many times. You see Mick bites the hand that feeds him when he targets a younger audience. He alienates the casual Stones fan. This is why CH sold very well for an old Rocker like keith, even Geargelicks was surprised how well it sold considering album sales on today's market. But its no surprise because Keith delivered what was expected from a wide range of Stones fans and Keith fan's alike.
All this talk that Mick deliberately released these two misfires as part of a master plan is just insane. As if Mick would do a thing like that knowing keith would be laughing himself silly with delight. Which is what he is doing right now i suspect.
I would like to know who put Mick up to this whole idea, Matt where are you winking smiley

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: August 8, 2017 14:51

I wonder how much was spent on recording the tracks and making the videos - not that Mick can't afford it but he is known to be careful with money.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2017 16:59

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
Doxa

And @#$%& you!

- Doxa

What did I do now...

BBD-bring back doxa

I was applauding an observation from another poster. I think it's pretty clear.

Date: August 8, 2017 17:03

stone4ever
Mick without the Stones is a No No, no really, thank you , but if its all the same, no. Especially if its crap. No one wants it, no one buys it, and they certainly don't want to take the time to play it 7 times until they think they get it. If anyone had any sense they would have listened to these two desperate offerings and gone 'ok, now can we just forget this happened and sweep it under the carpet'. Not magnified this colossal late life crises with a microscope. This male menopausal embarrassment had me believing it would be a big hit when i played it 7 or 8 times. But what i forgot was who out there (non Stones Fan ) is going to listen to it that many times. You see Mick bites the hand that feeds him when he targets a younger audience. He alienates the casual Stones fan. This is why CH sold very well for an old Rocker like keith, even Geargelicks was surprised how well it sold considering album sales on today's market. But its no surprise because Keith delivered what was expected from a wide range of Stones fans and Keith fan's alike.
All this talk that Mick deliberately released these two misfires as part of a master plan is just insane. As if Mick would do a thing like that knowing keith would be laughing himself silly with delight. Which is what he is doing right now i suspect.
I would like to know who put Mick up to this whole idea, Matt where are you winking smiley

Riffie I'm worried about you dude. Go outside. Pet a dog. Look at a sunset.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 8, 2017 17:06

RipThisBone
The single did not chart in The Dutch Top 100 today.

Harlem Shuffler
I wonder how much was spent on recording the tracks and making the videos...

I'm sorry, but I can't help but think of this:

[youtu.be]

Date: August 8, 2017 17:16

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
Doxa

And @#$%& you!

- Doxa

What did I do now...

BBD-bring back doxa

I was applauding an observation from another poster. I think it's pretty clear.

Well, you know, 99 jokes and then all of a sudden a serious post might make you wonder whether the last one was tongue in cheek, too - hence I had to ask.

I appreciate you being serious. It's too bad you're telling me I'm a dick when you finally decide to be sincere, though.

But by all means, applaude all you want.. Keep on blaming me, although it won't get you anywhere nearer the truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 17:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 8, 2017 17:20

Any reason why Mick couldn't have recorded this with the other Stones?
It was co written with Matt Clifford but does that matter these days.
It's not as though they can't record and release a single, separate from an album. They have done it before.
Would get more promotion and air play. Particularly as they are on tour soon.
I wonder if they will play it live on their European jaunt.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 8, 2017 17:21

Keep your chin up DP
You are seeing the RS in <30 days!!!
Whhhhooooppppp spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Stay here please thank you carry on

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 8, 2017 17:22

Olly
RipThisBone
The single did not chart in The Dutch Top 100 today.

Harlem Shuffler
I wonder how much was spent on recording the tracks and making the videos...

I'm sorry, but I can't help but think of this:

[youtu.be]

grinning smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 8, 2017 17:23

jlowe
Any reason why Mick couldn't have recorded this with the other Stones?
It was co written with Matt Clifford but does that matter these days.
It's not as though they can't record and release a single, separate from an album. They have done it before.
Would get more promotion and air play. Particularly as they are on tour soon.
I wonder if they will play it live on their European jaunt.

Word on the Internet street Keith said 'no thank you'

Posted by: rollingloc ()
Date: August 8, 2017 17:25

powerage78
Since BTB at least in studio The Rolling as a real band (composition process) is an illusion.
Marketing fake.

No real collaboration between Mick and Keith.
Each one works on his side and bring his own songs.
And often with other (additional) musicians

no collaboration for BTB. I think you forget ABB which was a real collaboration between the glimmer twins, their best work since some girls for me.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 8, 2017 19:14

I really think the current thing with Jagger is a case of the Emperors new clothes. He'll come up with these ideas in a vain attempt to stay musically relevant and those around him and in his pay, will tell him what he wants to hear....they aint going to say, Mick, just @#$%& give it up, your solo works were pretty dreadful and you're in your 70s now, and the songs are only going to sell to a couple of thousand Stones fans at best!

He might learn from this latest vanity project and put us all out of the misery of hearing any more dreadful attempts to fuse dad rock with the latest musical fashion.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 8, 2017 19:30

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever

Riffie I'm worried about you dude. Go outside. Pet a dog. Look at a sunset.

Haha Ok anything you say Dad winking smiley

I got this sciatic nerve driving me insane and i haven't left the house for a week and so keep looking in to the folks here and i get drawn in, it happens.
I will take your advice, back to work tomorrow, pain in leg nerve or not, i'm going nuts here sad smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 8, 2017 19:48

stone4ever

You are the kind of poster, who thinks that if the I-person don't like it, it is crap. Those, who say they like the songs, apparently do not exist.

I was one, who started out listening to the two songs seven times.Then they got hold of me. I still listen to them in between other stuff outside the Rolling Stones, not quite so often now. My doing so has nothing to do with me being a reader on IORR. Earlier I even compelled myself to listen to CROSSEYED HEART 25 times. I find it boring. I don't say it is crap for that reason.

I don't know what kind of audience Mick Jagger targeted. Possibly he only wanted to release the music he had made, while the situation it sprang out of still exists. Maybe he aimed simply at those, who would listen, a small or a greater minority, without thinking age.

I hope that Mick makes an album, which he can stand for, before he participates in making an album of generical "Stones-by -numbers"-songs. It may have to do with self respect.

But really you are signifying what I hold to be, not the whole explanation. but the main reason for UNDERCOVER to be latest great Rolling Stones studio album (maybe with an exception of BLUE AND LONESOME, I don't know yet). The reason is the reception of first UNDERCOVER, that is, it is about the over time increasing conservatism of the record buying and concertgoing public of the Rolling Stones. In other words, you yourself are part of that reason with your attitude. You are actively campaigning against the two songs, even after you made a sweeping exit from IORR.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2355
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home