Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 5, 2017 20:23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 06:44 by stone4ever.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 20:34

DandelionPowderman
How did we found out that they were done as a songwriting team again, by rumours or these two Jagger tracks.

You're walking into the trap Mick and Keith wants you to, my friend. Let's see what they can come up with before we pass any judgement smoking smiley

Did you miss the memo, DP? The article in the Daily Mail, the blog post from Bob Lefsetz, the entry in the Congressional Quarterly, the piece in The Paris Review? smiling smiley

I'm not passing judgement on what they might do. I'm just observing what they have done for the past few, oh, decades.

I think the Jagger tracks really only add another pc of evidence to the pile: one of the members of the songwriting duo has made a radical departure from his 'normal' practices and released music in a new and innovative fashion. Perhaps it is going a bridge too far to assume that that very attempt may indicate a more substantive rupture in the partnership than ever before. As you suggest, we shall see.

If in fact, the Glimmers are laying a "trap" for us, then my hat's off to them. They are canny dudes, leading us into a false sense of despondency with 30 years of crap albums, only to spring on us in the twilight of their years one last masterpiece ... it may have been their plan all along!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 5, 2017 20:36

stone4ever
OMG I forgot drink felt this good, last drink I had was new years eve . Hey people drop the Stones for a minute, there is more to life. If I could wrap all you iorr ions up and take you for a piss up you would forget all about mick and Keith old farts. >grinning smiley<. Life us for living not obsessing about all this shit.

OK, I am well into my bottle of Domaine Weinbach Cuvee Theo Gewurztraminer 2015, that is Alsace white wine. Enjoy your wine(s)!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 5, 2017 20:42

2015 was a great year for German Wine. Enjoy your Gewurtztraminer. Also look for special bottles bearing the letters "GG" had one that destroyed me. It was Robert Weingut 2015.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2017 20:43

Witness
Enjoy your wine(s)!

Is that "enjoy your wines"...or "enjoy your whines"...?
Either way, cheers. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 20:44 by Hairball.

Date: August 5, 2017 20:49

stone4ever
MonkeyMan2000
I don't understand how you, stones4ever, think what Mick has done with these two tracks is different to what the Stones and Keith sometimes play. I can easily imagine GGAG played by the Stones with Keith (obviously, if it was released on a Stones album, there would be much less effects)

For me, GGAG is a pretty straight-forward funk rock track with effects and heavy bass sounds etc. I bet if it was the "Blue & Lonesome"-formation of the band playing the song, you'd love it, riffhards smileys with beer

It does have similarities to tracks like rain fell down and some of Keiths solo tracks but it is also something else. We got rap, we got virtually no melody no rhythm. It doesn't go anywhere. I like ggag I really do, but it's not the Stones good stuff it's the Stones filler.

Ahh, my young British friend, you always find a way, albeit perhaps inadvertently?, to cut to the chase: you are perfectly correct in pointing out that these two new Mickies would qualify as Stones filler ... kinda like their entire recorded output over the past 35 years!

I did a quick tour through my iTunes and Spotify (can't of course count vinyl spins but I don't have anything past Emotional Rescue on vinyl anyway) and here are the ONLY Stones tracks post-Tattoo You that I've listened to in the past several years:

She Was Hot
Tie You Up
Too Much Blood
Had It With You
Almost Hear You Sigh
Love is Strong
Brand New Car
Might As Well Get Juiced
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long

10 songs. No Mick solo. But I can imagine occasionally listening to "England Lost" and "Gotta Get a Grip" in the next few years. So that makes them no worse than the 11th and 12th best Stones songs in the last 35 years ... at least for me.

(Oh, and I listened to Crosseyed Heart a couple of times becuz you guys made me. I;m still trying to figure out who I can invoice for that time I'll never get back.)

If I could be sold as to suggest: you're assuming that some version of the Glimmers that is long gone will suddenly reappear and drop a classic record on us. Instead of a platter full of "Gunface" and "Infamy" and "Anybody Seen My Baby"-type tunes.

Date: August 5, 2017 20:53

Hairball
Hope Mick does some more publicity for these - Jimmy Fallon or SNL would be the perfect platform for him.

I desperately hope not. They're not good enough. You don't go out with mediocre; you go out with great. I hope he goes back in the studio, cuts another track or two and then emerges to perform live if and only if he's got something truly killer. If the next ones aren't good enough, then he tries again. It'll be a fascinating proess and we'll get new evolving music along the way.

Date: August 5, 2017 20:57

stone4ever
I actually think as a Keith fanatic that Mick has done the dirty on him once again, and once again it's backfired.

Alternative non-conspiratorial interpretation: Mick wanted to record and release some new music outside of the Stones.

Date: August 5, 2017 20:57

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
Hope Mick does some more publicity for these - Jimmy Fallon or SNL would be the perfect platform for him.

I desperately hope not. They're not good enough. You don't go out with mediocre; you go out with great. I hope he goes back in the studio, cuts another track or two and then emerges to perform live if and only if he's got something truly killer. If the next ones aren't good enough, then he tries again. It'll be a fascinating proess and we'll get new evolving music along the way.

I'd go along with that - if at first you don''t succeed try try again.
But thought it might be interesting though to hear these new ones reworked live to take away the sterile and generic sound...but maybe not.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 5, 2017 21:01

frankotero
2015 was a great year for German Wine. Enjoy your Gewurtztraminer. Also look for special bottles bearing the letters "GG" had one that destroyed me. It was Robert Weingut 2015.

In fact, it is French.

However, this year's best wine for me so far, even if I usually prefer red to white, was a Rheingau wine: Robert Weil Kiedrich Grafenberg Riesling trocken 2007.

Date: August 5, 2017 21:01

Hairball
There's a French pale ale called Belzubuth (Beelzebub) that is 15% and makes you feel like the devil has entered your soul after drinking one. Also a bit sweet, and not sure if I recommend it haha.
And then there's Lucifer - a great Belgian Strong Pale Ale, and even though it's only 8%, you feel possessed after drinking one or two!
Belzebuth is available in the states, not sure about Lucifer.

I've heard great things about Mandalay resort in Oxnard as several friends have stayed their in the past! While I'm not on a mountainside, I live about seven miles north near the coast and would happily venture down...but since you're living all fancy at Mandalay resort, you can buy me a qquadrupel! winking smiley

Yeah, if I get too far beyond 7 or 8% it makes me feel like I just oughta be drinking bourbon. Will reach out when we hit Oxnard and see if we can hook up a cerveza.

Date: August 5, 2017 21:11

Witness -I didn't know that was a French Wine, thought for sure German. Anyhow I have to agree lately I'm also more into white wine. Very odd for me too, I'm sworn to red. Perhaps it's the weather, I think so. Cheers!

Date: August 5, 2017 21:15

Forgot to add I rather like Mick's 2 new songs. Not epic for musical reasons, but love the lyrics and it flows nicely in my opinion. He's still got swagger!

Date: August 5, 2017 21:38

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
I actually think as a Keith fanatic that Mick has done the dirty on him once again, and once again it's backfired.

Alternative non-conspiratorial interpretation: Mick wanted to record and release some new music outside of the Stones.

Are you really that nieve lb

Date: August 5, 2017 22:07

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever

I am. It's a curse but also part of my charm.

Date: August 5, 2017 22:11

GasLightStreet
Someone mentioned that one of these tunes has a bit of Too Much Blood in it.

I finally heard it. But it's barely anything.

What it more likely is, or fits in with, is a kind of continuation of Rain Fall Down.

There is some Running Out of Luck and Gunface as well, if you listen closely smiling smiley

The former is cool, the latter is bad, imo.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 5, 2017 23:02

Would like to see them performed live.
One of the late night shows would work -- they have their own house bands, don't they, so Mick can go on by himself.
Maybe Mick and Keith can record their own songs in adjoining studios for the new album. A Mick side and a Keith side. But poor Ron and Charlie being pulled between them.

Date: August 5, 2017 23:27

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever

I am. It's a curse but also part of my charm.

Hehe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 06:45 by stone4ever.

Date: August 5, 2017 23:33

Witness
stone4ever
OMG I forgot drink felt this good, last drink I had was new years eve . Hey people drop the Stones for a minute, there is more to life. If I could wrap all you iorr ions up and take you for a piss up you would forget all about mick and Keith old farts. >grinning smiley<. Life us for living not obsessing about all this shit.

OK, I am well into my bottle of Domaine Weinbach Cuvee Theo Gewurztraminer 2015, that is Alsace white wine. Enjoy your wine(s)!

Thanks smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 06:22 by stone4ever.

Date: August 5, 2017 23:40

Can I say something you you Mick fanatics, I loved him more than you could ever imagine before he went solo

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: August 5, 2017 23:47

These songs are terrible. They are nothing but primitive chants with little imagination. If there is a new Stones album, I hope none of the numbers resemble this garbage. By the way, who are the guitarists and drummer??

Date: August 6, 2017 00:14

<the way, who are the guitarists and drummer??>

You are kidding, I presume? grinning smiley

Posted by: rollingloc ()
Date: August 6, 2017 00:38

Mick Is a genius! I love those 2 songs!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 6, 2017 00:59

really I don't care if he slams me, in a way it would be a wayward compliments but I'm not encouraging it. I'm actually embarrassed that I had complimented this poster on a piece that had resonated with me. arrogant, presumptuous, challenging and not in a good way. There is only a very few tiny, not even half a handful of people I will never read here again. Bingo. I apologize for even the Wayward furtive Association.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 01:01 by hopkins.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 6, 2017 01:15

Doxa
These @#$%& double standars in this site. These bloody "Keith Richards is the second coming of Christ" people. When I said something controversial in that Keith Richards solo album thread, that was a reason to screaem and shout "oh that horrible Doxa isn't he bad, he is spoiling our party?". Dandelion Powderman was so angry that he not just delated all of his posts in that thread but he also kicked me out of (his) IORR band (that supposed to play next month in Amsterdam). Now I am sure anything as bitching and propaganda-like people like Hairball are saying is perfectly allright by our Dandelinion Powderman. Because it is only about Mick Jagger.

Thank you jeezus richards almighty! I simply hate double standards.

And @#$%& you!

- Doxa

Yeah energitic Dandie Powergame and his selfrightiousness and dopplestandards are 90% of the time no gain for this site, and Hairball neither. It's sad but understandable that you take yet another pause. Your posts will be missed.

Date: August 6, 2017 01:24

flilflam
These songs are terrible. They are nothing but primitive chants with little imagination. If there is a new Stones album, I hope none of the numbers resemble this garbage. By the way, who are the guitarists and drummer??

Give them a chance - they might grow on you.

cool smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 6, 2017 01:43

stone4ever
Can I say something you you Mick fanatics, I loved him more than you could ever imagine before he went solo

Keith? KEEF?!! Is that you?!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 6, 2017 01:45

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
MonkeyMan2000
smileys with beer

(Oh, and I listened to Crosseyed Heart a couple of times becuz you guys made me. I;m still trying to figure out who I can invoice for that time I'll never get back.)

I made it halfway through the album when it first came out...what's the second half like?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 6, 2017 01:49

Reading the comments on YouTube in reaction to the lyric video of ENGLAND LOST I found this reaction:

"Sorry to tell you, but I don't think this is an "anti-Brexit" song. It's a comment on an increasingly authoritarian state, an official "state ideology" and youth who are essentially brainwashed into accepting that ideology. . . . . It's an extremely subtle piece of work".

What do you IORR's think?

My knowledge of english language is too limited to understand the real meaning of the lyrics of ENGLAND LOST.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 01:51 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 6, 2017 01:54

treaclefingers
stone4ever

Keith? KEEF?!! Is that you?!
lol

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home