Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 4, 2017 16:34

Beat it with a stick.

Either you like the songs, or, you don't.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 4, 2017 17:02

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Be careful, Doxa - the Keithettes camp becomes a little thin-skinned as of lately...some simply get childish, some try to "provoke" comments and feel "persecuted" when you do just that - comment (maybe just not like expected, in praise of "Buddah"). What's next?

Why are you doing this?

Like I said, case closed. I'm not going to repeat myself. For further investigation, just read.

You're one of the best posters on here. No need to fire up potential conflicts that can be resolved, imo.

Look, what's firing me up is when I read things like

this: [iorr.org]

or this: [iorr.org]

amongst others here. You could as well ask them why they are doing this. I for one see the Stones as a band and therefore just don't understand this underlying "if it's a success, it's Keith, while Mick is responsible for any misfirings"-theme here.

I did not want to repeat myself, but here's a quote from one of my last posts to avoid misunderstandings:

Also your accusations against people like Doxa (and me?) are a bit off the tracks. In can speak only for me, but I don't blame anybody for the lack of creativity (or "classic quality") in the Stones output of recent decades. If anything, maybe the truth is that for every artist the time comes when everything is said and done. Keith and Mick are obviously following different routes to escape this trap. Plus, who's to blame when musical interests develop into different directions over the decades? These are not the teenagers anymore who met on the platform of Dartford Station. It happens, these are human beings after all. I played in bands decades ago where (almost) every member shared the same musical interests - and nowadays it's sometimes hard to impossible to agree on a number of songs to play, even when it's just for fun.

In the end, we know nothing about the new Stones album. The Jagger solo tracks are just that - solo tracks. So for anybody who does not like them, I'd say it's too early to fear doom... One would think that the Stones don't start a project like this without having agreed on a modus operandi beforehand...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 4, 2017 17:11

Meanwhile in London:

[www.instagram.com]

Date: August 4, 2017 17:21

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Be careful, Doxa - the Keithettes camp becomes a little thin-skinned as of lately...some simply get childish, some try to "provoke" comments and feel "persecuted" when you do just that - comment (maybe just not like expected, in praise of "Buddah"). What's next?

Why are you doing this?

Like I said, case closed. I'm not going to repeat myself. For further investigation, just read.

You're one of the best posters on here. No need to fire up potential conflicts that can be resolved, imo.

Look, what's firing me up is when I read things like

this: [iorr.org]

amongst others here. You could as well ask them why they are doing this. I for one see the Stones as a band and therefore just don't understand this underlying "if it's a success, it's Keith, while Mick is responsible for any misfirings"-theme here.

I did not want to repeat myself, but here's a quote from one of my last posts to avoid misunderstandings:

Also your accusations against people like Doxa (and me?) are a bit off the tracks. In can speak only for me, but I don't blame anybody for the lack of creativity (or "classic quality") in the Stones output of recent decades. If anything, maybe the truth is that for every artist the time comes when everything is said and done. Keith and Mick are obviously following different routes to escape this trap. Plus, who's to blame when musical interests develop into different directions over the decades? These are not the teenagers anymore who met on the platform of Dartford Station. It happens, these are human beings after all. I played in bands decades ago where (almost) every member shared the same musical interests - and nowadays it's sometimes hard to impossible to agree on a number of songs to play, even when it's just for fun.

In the end, we know nothing about the new Stones album. The Jagger solo tracks are just that - solo tracks. So for anybody who does not like them, I'd say it's too early to fear doom... One would think that the Stones don't start a project like this without having agreed on a modus operandi beforehand...

I get that. One person talks badly about Mick, while another one posts childish pictures, and never let the chance slip to make snide remarks. I totally get that. But look at the demographics here – keep in mind how many we are posting on iorr.org. It's impossible to avoid fanatics or provocateurs.

There isn't a possee against you and Doxa here. Most posters are with you, even though they don't walk into a fight about this.

AND: Most people don't see this as a competition between Mick and Keith. They love the band. I'm not saying that you do.

PS: And I really hope you didn't get fired up by my remark («these remixes are not for me»). If so, it's hard to have a musical discussion, I'm afraid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-04 17:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 4, 2017 17:23

Retired Dog, lighten up, one of my posts was in reply to an equally negative post towards me and the other was just lighthearted. Why comment on a single negative post from me. I put a lot of effort into many of my posts, i comment on Keith in an honest way, sometimes noting his faults and misgivings. Its not like yesterday or today was a typical day for me. I have apologized to Latebloomer, what else can i do.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 4, 2017 17:32

The single did not chart in The Dutch Top 100 today.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 4, 2017 17:44

Um, given the topic is "Gotta Get a Grip," maybe we should do just that.

I don't really care that there are Keith camps and Mick camps and Taylor camps and Bill camps and even some Brian camps. I like the band. I am critical of the band past and present. I like Mick and Keith solo. I am equally critical of them solo. I try to express what I find interesting in the hopes others will agree or at least discuss. There are times where I've had my nose out of joint. Later, I conclude I either shouldn't be posting on message boards so much or I need to accept not everyone will agree with me and sometimes they'll even be rude about it whether deliberately or not. That's the internet and that's people. I'm sure when I'm in a joking mood, my sarcasm has irritated others as well. What goes around comes around eventually. It's just music and it's just a message board. We shouldn't let it ruin our day.

So speaks the Minister of Propaganda...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 4, 2017 17:55

DandelionPowderman
And I really hope you didn't get fired up by my remark («these remixes are not for me»). If so, it's hard to have a musical discussion, I'm afraid.

Dandy, I thought it was clear that I was not talking about your remark, but the comment to your remark.

To be honest, I still have to listen closely to all these remixes because I'm not the biggest fan of remixes per se (if anything, I prefer longer versions like "Miss You" over any remixes), so I haven't even made my mind up yet what to think of all these GGAG and England Lost remixes.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 4, 2017 17:55

Rocky Dijon
Um, given the topic is "Gotta Get a Grip," maybe we should do just that.

I don't really care that there are Keith camps and Mick camps and Taylor camps and Bill camps and even some Brian camps. I like the band. I am critical of the band past and present. I like Mick and Keith solo. I am equally critical of them solo. I try to express what I find interesting in the hopes others will agree or at least discuss. There are times where I've had my nose out of joint. Later, I conclude I either shouldn't be posting on message boards so much or I need to accept not everyone will agree with me and sometimes they'll even be rude about it whether deliberately or not. That's the internet and that's people. I'm sure when I'm in a joking mood, my sarcasm has irritated others as well. What goes around comes around eventually. It's just music and it's just a message board. We shouldn't let it ruin our day.

So speaks the Minister of Propaganda...

Preach On Minister, Preach On!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 4, 2017 18:23

DandelionPowderman

AND: Most people don't see this as a competition between Mick and Keith. They love the band. I'm not saying that you do.

That response was at least given to one of my posts. I gave an answer with another interpretation, which I judge you fully capable of understanding. But here you repeat it. (I for one would have wished Keith spreading his dust on the two "Mick Jagger singles" by participating in them as Rolling Stones album tracks.)

Of course, it is your privilege to share, if you really do, (contrary to my impression, based on other posts from you), Keith's apparent narrower view than Mick's on what kind of music that a Rolling Stones song also may deliver. But then in case, why not say so, instead of repeating the quote.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 4, 2017 18:40

GGAG ALOK

This 1 here. This is the one. I am still playing it/ a lot.

If 'you' had to release a song with a video,
it should have been this track.
And for God's sake, who wants to watch a new song release that is suppose to pump me up coupled with the visual of people trapped and miserable?
Again if there had to be a vid., this tune w/ Mick dancing in the rave lights,
interspersed w/ --- and so forth.

And I have questions about this song GGAG Alok
my CD arrived without a telling word.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2017 19:00

stone4ever
In England i haven't heard a single word about Micks release on radio , tv, news, media, chat shows, nothing. I'm not entirely sure this hasn't been some sort of illusion or hoax. Are we in some sort of twilight zone where this release matters to the world.
Geargelicks how is this selling, i bought it and i know a few from here bought it.

If he plays one or both live on Jimmy Fallon or SNL (or a similar show), we will no they indeed exist, and perhaps reworked in a live setting there will be improvements. That's not a dig at the studio versions, but really would like to see Mick tear them up LIVE on a stage somewhere. I'm no longer wondering if we'll see an appearance somewhere, but am seriously hoping for one.

But like you, I haven't heard anything about these anywhere else but here on IORR - kind of a mystery. No radio, no tv, news, no amazon ads, etc., etc., etc. It's all gone under the radar, and maybe that's the way Mick wants it as to not spoil the bigger picture of a supposed new Stones album and the upcoming tour.

Date: August 4, 2017 19:06

Witness
DandelionPowderman

That response was at least given to one of my posts. I gave an answer with another interpretation, which I judge you fully capable of understanding. But here you repeat it. (I for one would have wished Keith spreading his dust on the two "Mick Jagger singles" by participating in them as Rolling Stones album tracks.)

Of course, it is your privilege to share, if you really do, (contrary to my impression, based on other posts from you), Keith's apparent narrower view than Mick's on what kind of music that a Rolling Stones song also may deliver. But then in case, why not say so, instead of repeating the quote.

I got your answer the first time, Witness, thanks.

However, this time I didn't have you in mind, but people on both "sides" who feel the need to polarise.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 4, 2017 20:14

stone4ever
Retired Dog, lighten up, one of my posts was in reply to an equally negative post towards me and the other was just lighthearted. Why comment on a single negative post from me. I put a lot of effort into many of my posts, i comment on Keith in an honest way, sometimes noting his faults and misgivings. Its not like yesterday or today was a typical day for me. I have apologized to Latebloomer, what else can i do.
\

Perhaps actually taking your often promised/threatened break?
Probably help.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 4, 2017 21:39

MisterDDDD
stone4ever
\

Perhaps actually taking your often promised/threatened break?
Probably help.

I have enjoyed your break so much that I haven't felt the need to take one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 4, 2017 22:24

I'm a' honest man
I'm a' honest lover
Don't tell my friend
Don't blow my cover .............XFX

ROCKMAN

Date: August 4, 2017 23:28

Rockman
I'm a' honest man
I'm a' honest lover
Don't tell my friend
Don't blow my cover .............XFX

A song I've always loved. And cheers to that!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 5, 2017 00:08

No bass credit on these tracks?

Date: August 5, 2017 00:25

bye bye johnny
No bass credit on these tracks?

Seeing as he's a fine bass player from the Jeff Beck Band era, maybe Ronnie's pulling double duties?
Or could be an uncredited Darryl?

Date: August 5, 2017 00:31

I would imagine the bass playing is contained within the keyboards and programming credit to Matt Clifford and the recording engineer.

Date: August 5, 2017 00:33

Might be thst Matt did the "bass" on keyboards for these tracks..

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 5, 2017 00:52

RipThisBone
The single did not chart in The Dutch Top 100 this week.

Charlie and Ronnie will be disappointed... They worked on it and need the money...drinking smiley

I Like ENGLAND LOST a lot more after a week. Listening to it more this song grows on me.

Shame Keith did not like it.

GOTTA GET A GRIP.....put this one in the garbage bin.

Maybe the title is a nod to Keith a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 02:20 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: August 5, 2017 02:01

Listening to the songs and remix album for the very first time now. I must be weird. I liked both songs a lot. I didn't hear a whole lot of difference between the original and remixed versions of England Lost. But I liked the first Gotta Get A Grip remix too. Listening to the second one right now.

Date: August 5, 2017 02:07

jahisnotdead
Listening to the songs and remix album for the very first time now. I must be weird. I liked both songs a lot. I didn't hear a whole lot of difference between the original and remixed versions of England Lost. But I liked the first Gotta Get A Grip remix too. Listening to the second one right now.

Lots of people on here love the remixes smiling smiley

Date: August 5, 2017 02:15

DandelionPowderman
jahisnotdead

Lots of people on here love the remixes smiling smiley

I'm very impressed by the remixes of Gotta Get A Grip so far. Very musical, and impressive how each producer can make the same song sound so different.

Date: August 5, 2017 02:24

TOTALLY dug the video for "England Lost" - a very cool short film. And the song sounded better on the second listen.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 02:52

Afternoon my darling Keithettes and my precious Mickists!

Some random thoughts while the 3-yo's watchin INSPECTOR GADGET and the baby's a-sleepin':

* The Jagger singles are musically blah but lyrically and vocally impressive

* To my ears they are EXTREMELY Stones-y, very much like dozens of midtempo drudgy murky Pathe Marconi outtakes; I hear NOTHING experimental about them and cannot imagine someone as savvy as M. Jagger thought he'd magically access a younger hipper crowd with these tunes.

* I no longer can imagine what possible purpose a new Rolling Stones album could serve. These garish old whores couldn't write a hook if you held a gun to their heads so what would be the point? There's no more 'fairy dust' to be sprinkled; there's only decades of hard proof that they cannot produce good work together. The future ought to include more Jagger singles, more jukebox greatest hits touring till one of 'em drops, another Xeyed Heart in ten years and perhaps a Blue & Dreadful, Part Deux.

* While I find the Jagger releases ho-hum (although they are my favorite Mick solo tracks besides "Memo from Turner" and I've already listened more to them than I ever listened to A Bigger Bang), the methodology, the business model, if you will, behind them is so cool. Like Mr Lefsetz -- who I think is quoted somewhere above in this unending thread -- I am astounded that Mick had it in him at this stage of his career to go so 'underground' in terms of a release/promo schedule. Good on ya, Mick! Next time, though, please NO VIDEOS because these are awful.

* I won't presume to know what to make of the further delays in The Supposed Album or of the presence of 3/4 of The Rolling Stones on a Mick solo joint ... other than to say again that I hope M. Jagger continues this guerilla approach to writing/releasing music and leaves the great album statement that takes five years to produce model to his fellow dinosaurs. It ain't about that. It ain't about sales. It's about streams, it's about putting out product constantly, and working to improve, and finding what works.

* BTW, the Spotify numbers for these tracks are horrible. Unless something catches on, the tracks and their remixes will probably end up barely edging past the “best” tracks on Xyed Heart … in other words, no one’s streaming them.

Some specific notes on the two songs:

- Mick walks into the first verse (“the world is upside down”) doing the most passable impression of himself he’s done in years. His wasted drawl would almost suggest there might have been a bottle of Jack lying around the studio …

- Ronnie and Charlie sound a lot better on this than they did on "Doom/One More Shot"

- The song sets up a groovy shuffle that builds nicely to a change at the 1:59 mark that is pretty good by latter-day Stones standards … but then doesn’t really capitalize on that bit of momentum and just kind of waddles toward the end.

- My fave part of the song is the “Metadata scams and policy shams” line in which Jagger channels M.I.A. in a pretty funny way.

- “England Lost” is marginally better overall and absolutely hysterical lyrically.

- While the “lost” Brexit/soccer match metaphor is not the most original thing ever, it’s not a bad way to explore these themes.

- There are throwaways here and there (“anyway” after “think i’ll go home and smoke a joint’ and ‘though not as hot’ after “London’s gonna be like Singapore,” and “that’s what i thought” after “much too cold”) that are just priceless

- The 'THINK I LOST IT DOWN THE BACK OF MY CHAIR' and the ‘GIRL IN LISBON GIRL IN ROME’ lines are funnier than anything on a Stones record since “she might be THE ALIEN!” Mick def sounds like he’s having a good time!

- The remixes don't do a lot for me. I think the Alok remix of "GGaG" is good and the Skepta remix of "EL" is disappointing.

All in all, I'm mildly encouraged by these. I hope that the Jagg keeps trying, keeps putting shit out under the radar. Leave those big marketing campaigns that are now completely irrelevant to others. Keep writing songs, having fun, working with cool people ... mebbe something magical will come along one day soon ...

There's no Stones anymore, no Mick and Keith, in the studio, at least. This was a nail in the coffin. They're just two very different guys headed in very different directions who long ago lost the ability to make each other better.

Or maybe, maybe, wait a minute, maybe I've got it all wrong. Or maybe the 10% ABV The Reverend from Avery is kicking in. Maybe, just maybe that tweet of Keith asleep at the piano is meant to distract us ... from the fact that they really DO have a killer album and they're lulling us into a false sense of despondency and The Supposed Album will be FULL of riffs that positively slay and lyrics that drip with, what?, sympathy.

Umm, no, it WAS just the Belgian Quadrupel. If We Hit the Wall and the Wall Won ever does come out, it will make A Bigger Bang sound like Let It Bleed .., c'mon, be honest, you know it will.

Date: August 5, 2017 03:37

Cheers LongBeachArena72 to you and your ' Reverend from Avery' for chiming in on this unending thread - there's lots to digest there. thumbs up

And I hesitate to post this recent review from the Irish Times as the writer - Brian Boyd - surely has stick up his ass and a bone to pick with Mick,
but much of what he says might have some validity and it's something to think about. Might be hard for some to accept, but for me it's just another perspective from another critic.
So without copying and pasting directly so as to not be labeled a 'hater' by some, I'll leave only the link (fair advance warning).

Spare me Mick

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 03:54

Hairball
Cheers LongBeachArena72 to you and your ' Reverend from Avery' for chiming in on this unending thread - there's lots to digest there. thumbs up

And I hesitate to post this recent review from the Irish Times as the writer - Brian Boyd - surely has stick up his ass and a bone to pick with Mick,
but much of what he says might have some validity and it's something to think about. Might be hard for some to accept, but for me it's just another perspective from another critic.
So without copying and pasting directly so as to not be labeled a 'hater' by some, I'll leave only the link (fair advance warning).

Spare me Mick

This Avery has snuck up on me, son. A little sweet but the 10% ABV is layin my sorry dad ass low. BTW, the brood and I will be up the coast a bit toward you later in the month at the Mandalay resort on the beach in Oxnard--you'll have to venture down from your mountainside and buy me a quadrupel.

This Brian Boyd guy? Mick Jagger an elitist tax evandin' hypocrite? Pleeeeeeez. Pitch me a story that hasn't been written a thousand times.

It's really about the tunes, man. Either you dig 'em or you don't; either they put a smile on your face and a spring in your step or they don't. We're ALL hypocrites and sad excuses for humans ... why should Mick be any different?

Plus, you can go after the Jag all you want--he doesn't give a shit ... but don't EVEN try to mess with Jeremy Corbyn; them's fightin words mate!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 5, 2017 04:18

Long Beach I don't even know what of these last two posts or so of yours I agree with or not, or which parts. I'm just here to say "You're brilliant." ! Yikes you got more than style...but plenty of that! & thanks.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home