Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 5, 2017 06:03

"Feel like Macaulay Culkin, I'm home alone"

That is all.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 07:13

hopkins
Long Beach I don't even know what of these last two posts or so of yours I agree with or not, or which parts. I'm just here to say "You're brilliant." ! Yikes you got more than style...but plenty of that! & thanks.

That's kind but we're all apprentices compared to you, hopkins-san, the guy who tripped with ... who was it? ... Jorma Kaukonen?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 5, 2017 07:16

nope me? never took a drub in mah life...;-)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2017 07:33

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
Cheers LongBeachArena72 to you and your ' Reverend from Avery' for chiming in on this unending thread - there's lots to digest there. thumbs up

And I hesitate to post this recent review from the Irish Times as the writer - Brian Boyd - surely has stick up his ass and a bone to pick with Mick,
but much of what he says might have some validity and it's something to think about. Might be hard for some to accept, but for me it's just another perspective from another critic.
So without copying and pasting directly so as to not be labeled a 'hater' by some, I'll leave only the link (fair advance warning).

Spare me Mick

This Avery has snuck up on me, son. A little sweet but the 10% ABV is layin my sorry dad ass low. BTW, the brood and I will be up the coast a bit toward you later in the month at the Mandalay resort on the beach in Oxnard--you'll have to venture down from your mountainside and buy me a quadrupel.

This Brian Boyd guy? Mick Jagger an elitist tax evandin' hypocrite? Pleeeeeeez. Pitch me a story that hasn't been written a thousand times.

It's really about the tunes, man. Either you dig 'em or you don't; either they put a smile on your face and a spring in your step or they don't. We're ALL hypocrites and sad excuses for humans ... why should Mick be any different?

Plus, you can go after the Jag all you want--he doesn't give a shit ... but don't EVEN try to mess with Jeremy Corbyn; them's fightin words mate!

There's a French pale ale called Belzubuth (Beelzebub) that is 15% and makes you feel like the devil has entered your soul after drinking one. Also a bit sweet, and not sure if I recommend it haha.
And then there's Lucifer - a great Belgian Strong Pale Ale, and even though it's only 8%, you feel possessed after drinking one or two!
Belzebuth is available in the states, not sure about Lucifer.

I've heard great things about Mandalay resort in Oxnard as several friends have stayed their in the past! While I'm not on a mountainside, I live about seven miles north near the coast and would happily venture down...but since you're living all fancy at Mandalay resort, you can buy me a qquadrupel! winking smiley

As for Brian Boyd - nobody should give crap what he says as he seems to have a chip on his shoulder. Still though, interesting to read what the nayasyers are saying about the new tunes, and I never knew Mick Jagger was palsy walsy with Margaret Thatcher!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 5, 2017 10:10

Been reading the last few pages of this thread... long-time allied posters, at one another's throats -- what happened?

Used to be, music brought everyone together. But now... Mick Jagger releases a single and suddenly so many are divided, the way politics does that to people.

Well, hopefully the Stones in 2018 will release a new album that will once more unite IORR posters in their criticism and derision.

Meanwhile, I guess we can look forward to set list complaints in a month or two.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 5, 2017 11:09

stonehearted
Been reading the last few pages of this thread... long-time allied posters, at one another's throats -- what happened?...

It's not because we're on a Stones Board that we should act like groupies each time Mick, Keith , Ronnie or Charlie did some solo works, and it's not because you think we're bashing the last works that we don't like the guy.

HMN

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 5, 2017 13:53

stonehearted
Been reading the last few pages of this thread... long-time allied posters, at one another's throats -- what happened?

Used to be, music brought everyone together. But now... Mick Jagger releases a single and suddenly so many are divided, the way politics does that to people.

Well, hopefully the Stones in 2018 will release a new album that will once more unite IORR posters in their criticism and derision.

Meanwhile, I guess we can look forward to set list complaints in a month or two.

Hi there Stonehearted, I think it's par for the course that the passion posters have for this band gets amplified at times like this. I actually think as a Keith fanatic that Mick has done the dirty on him once again, and once again it's backfired. I just hope Mick finally learns his lesson. No one is interested in Mick without Keith. Sorry I know you guys think differently but you are a minority group. Period.
Also had Keith released a couple of tracks this poor we would never have heard the last of it, posters would have been brutal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 14:00 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 5, 2017 15:01

couple of Bo Diddleys eh?

Like the alternate Grip mixes, some are more dance-able than others.

Grip reminds me of Grrregory.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 5, 2017 15:17

stone4ever
stonehearted

Hi there Stonehearted, I think it's par for the course that the passion posters have for this band gets amplified at times like this. I actually think as a Keith fanatic that Mick has done the dirty on him once again, and once again it's backfired. I just hope Mick finally learns his lesson. No one is interested in Mick without Keith. Sorry I know you guys think differently but you are a minority group. Period.
Also had Keith released a couple of tracks this poor we would never have heard the last of it, posters would have been brutal.

i think you and a couple of others do more to divide on this site than bring together, or to even promote a positive and healthy discussion. At the end of the day....bring it on Mick...and bring it on Keith....we just want to hear more...solo, together, duettes...whatever...still digging the re mixes especially

Date: August 5, 2017 15:47

Rip This
stone4ever
stonehearted

i think you and a couple of others do more to divide on this site than bring together, or to even promote a positive and healthy discussion. At the end of the day....bring it on Mick...and bring it on Keith....we just want to hear more...solo, together, duettes...whatever...still digging the re mixes especially

I'm stating the truth as I see it, it shouldn't devide people that I have an opinion on Mick solo. These are my observations on the effects Mick's solo work has had on the Stones over the years. How could my views be a personal attack on a poster. If people I consider friends like Stonehearted or LongBeach or Z or Doxa disagree with my opinions, it shouldn't devide us as people. Most of the people I get on with personally on here are more in the Mick camp, certainly they don't prefer Keith. It makes no difference, it doesn't devide us because we have different points of view on things. Should no one say what they think through fear of being seen as an outsider. I have seen so many people leave this site because they are either bored of it or all the best posters left. We need conversations we need difference of opinion. Otherwise the herd mentally wins. Thought control, no one can be different. Take me or leave me, comment or don't, I couldn't care less, I will say what I believe to be the truth. Get used to it.

Date: August 5, 2017 15:49

I'm not here to talk about the weather.

Date: August 5, 2017 15:56

M&K are laughing over this one. They wrote these together, snickering all the way through it...Mick's is all, "what rhymes with stick?" "hahaa you mean twig" "haaa that was great man, then I pretended to be pissed off and we sold how many more of those books? haaaaa" "yeh man...slick, trick, flick, hick, lick, haaaa live clicks live wicks....er....live...wait a minute Mick...er....chick, tiny-dick" "hahaaaa @#$%& you BD" "BD?" "brain damage" "christ you're a wank" "took it to the BANK Keith" "arsenICK, parapatetICK..." "ok knock it off" "i know you are but what am I? hahaaaa...rhymes with MassHole nite of the realm...crick, talliWICK...yeh i'll sign do you have a BIC" "haaaaaaaaaaa @#$%& you man" "beat it with a uhhh BRICK" "jesus christ the check cleared" "that was quick i shave with a .... ...."SHICK!!" " we still got it man" "no doubt work it out do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around clown found ground" "take a break" "from taking a break by the lake you snake" "aahhhhaaahhaaaaaaaaaaa i'm actuallysnotting..."no your notting" "jesus christ" .....
"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 16:05 by hopkins.

Date: August 5, 2017 16:04

hopkins
M&K are laughing over this one. They wrote these together, snickering all the way through it...Mick's is all, "what rhymes with stick?" "hahaa you mean twig" "haaa that was great man, then I pretended to be pissed off and we sold how many more of those books? haaaaa" "yeh man...slick, trick, flick, hick, lick, haaaa live clicks live wicks....er....live...wait a minute Mick...er....chick, tiny-dick" "hahaaaa @#$%& you BD" "BD?" "brain damage" "christ you're a wank" "took it to the BANK Keith" "arsenICK, parapatetICK..." "ok knock it off" "i know you are but what am I?" "rhymes with MassHole nite of the realm...crick, talliWICK...yeh i'll sign do you have a BIC" "haaaaaaaaaaa @#$%& you man" "beat it with a uhhh BRICK" "jesus christ" .....
"

Haha hopkins you're priceless, you give me faith in the human race they broke the mould with you, please, never change. No heard mentality either with you mate.

Date: August 5, 2017 16:18

"heard menality...uhh BIRD mentality...herd reality.." "whoa heavy" "super heavy on the levee...bill porked a bird her name was...BEVVIE" "ahhaaaaaaa" "aaahaaaaaaa" "ahhaaaaaaa" "Don Wuz Don Fuz shirley shirley bo birly banana-fanna-bo birly me mih moe mirly...." "SHirley....ahhaa Lets do CHUCk" "chuckie chuckie bo buckie banana fanna co uky meee migh moe muckyy " "Plinky plinky bo binky banana fanna....got a joint man" "what the point man ...er....nose out of JOINT man..." "priceless" "actually there is a price" "lice nice splice wice" "wice ain't a word" "aint paint taint ...taint it black..." "haaaaaaa" " i see a red door and i want to shoe flue clue" "boo!" "I'm so scared" "frightened tightened blight right...." "clifford bifford stifford matt splat fat hat" "golden rings these are a few of my favorite...THINGS" "ding dong oh yeah" "taylor sailor failure..." "haaa aaahhaaaaa...."

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 5, 2017 16:27

stone4ever
stonehearted

Belonging to a very small (or somewhat greater) minority or not, I happen to regard those two songs (and now I have heard some, but not all remixes as well once) as, apart from possibly only a few exceptions of other songs, the most fascinating Rolling Stones-related music since UNDERCOVER! You may doubt my taste or even my sanity, but that is how it is. My desire is for NEW Rolling Stones music, while I love the issues of their shifting career.

When one feels that way, probably not you in your fanatical outlook, but others posters, even if they have views on the two songs in the opposite direction to mine, still will understand that I would like to have an album's length of music of a similar kind.

As put forth in earlier posts, I would have wished for Keith to take part in such a project. It seems that he has vetoed against such music be included in a Rolling Stones album. Then my primary wish is that other members of the Rolling Stones postpone studio work with the Rolling Stones until later. That studio work will be concentrated on transforming a suitable number of Mick Jagger songs of a more or less similiar kind, besides arranged in such ways, into album tracks that can be issued under a fitting name. E.g Mick Jagger and Mates.

Apart from that, I don't want anyone to learn any socalled lessons. I have no idea if Mick will agree to take part in an album project of songs that Keith Richards will give positive sanction. Or will contribute to it with more conservative material of a generical "Stones-by-numbers" kind. Maybe it is most of all cover versions that Mick and Keith can agree on from now on. In that case, a scenario of the near future could be three kinds of releases. One could be Rolling Stones covers of ethnic music. A second, further releases than a first one with music from "Mick Jagger and Mates". A third, Keith with releases of type CROSSEYED HEART, possibly with full participation from Charlie Watts and Ron Wood.

This may be the best future for those months and years they all have left. Only very few or some more, nobody can know. Not wasting any more time on power struggle. In between maybe playing a few concerts with their more or less standard setlists.

Well?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 5, 2017 16:36

How soon before England is playing a match in Germany or Spain and the home crowd begins a singalong, 'Went to see England ...'

Even better would be if some cheeky fans of a Premier League team adopted the song.

Date: August 5, 2017 16:41

If these two songs from Mick are a taster for what's going to be on over half the next Stones album it will be hilarious. The Stones will be a laughing joke, they will destroy their legacy in one fail swoop.
I don't know about any of this, I doubt very much this sort of material will get on the album. Hopefully Mick has got this out of his system. I would love a Mick solo album but not with too many of these type tunes. I say tunes, they are not tunes, not even songs, they are repeatative noise that gets more familiar if you play it ten times. I'm my not so humble opinion of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 16:43 by stone4ever.

Date: August 5, 2017 16:52

Did you read my post in its entirety, stones4ever, before writing? Well, of course, you may be commenting on posts in general.

Date: August 5, 2017 17:02

Witness
Did you read my post in its entirety, stones4ever, before writing? Well, of course, you may be commenting on posts in general.

I intend to reply to it but I'm working at the moment.

I honestly don't understand how Stones fans prefer this kind of music. Its bewildering to say the least. A few Mick die hards on IORR will appreciate anything Mick does and good luck to you, but it's not what I expect most Stones fans crave. I hope Mick changes course if he has a solo album in the works, and clearly this is the wrong direction Foa Stones album to follow. I still haven't returned your post Witness, I need time to explain things properly. I can't even see the writing properly on this ridiculous phone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 17:30 by stone4ever.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 17:34

Witness
In that case, a scenario of the near future could be three kinds of releases. One could be Rolling Stones covers of ethnic music. A second, further releases than a first one with music from "Mick Jagger and Mates". A third, Keith with releases of type CROSSEYED HEART, possibly with full participation from Charlie Watts and Ron Wood.

This may be the best future for those months and years they all have left. Only very few or some more, nobody can know. Not wasting any more time on power struggle. In between maybe playing a few concerts with their more or less standard setlists.

Well?

Yeah, this was one of the pts I made in my post above. Jagger/Richards as a creative force is finished. It's down to Mick solo, Keith solo, warhorse tours, and possibly more covers albums. I suppose we should just enjoy whichever of those four things strikes us as cool and leave it to everyone else to do the same.

Although I have no interest in further Keith material I know there are many fans here and elsewhere who do. And for their sakes, I hope he continues to release new music. Mick is off on what seems to me to be a potentially exciting adventure --we'll see where that leads. But either of those paths is almost surely going to lead to better music than a record of tired Stones originals on which each of them in an attempt to sprinkle "fairy dust" on the other's tunes actually makes them worse.

We have too much real-world evidence to come to any other conclusion ... the only contrary conclusion requires that we believe that two guys in their mid-70's are suddenly going to turn back the clock and do something they haven't done in 40 years: write good songs together.

If you believe in that, good on ya ... I've also got some investment opportunities in swampland er lakefront property I'd like to pitch ya!

Date: August 5, 2017 17:40

How did we found out that they were done as a songwriting team again, by rumours or these two Jagger tracks.

You're walking into the trap Mick and Keith wants you to, my friend. Let's see what they can come up with before we pass any judgement smoking smiley

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 17:51

I don't understand how you, stones4ever, think what Mick has done with these two tracks is different to what the Stones and Keith sometimes play. I can easily imagine GGAG played by the Stones with Keith (obviously, if it was released on a Stones album, there would be much less effects)

For me, GGAG is a pretty straight-forward funk rock track with effects and heavy bass sounds etc. I bet if it was the "Blue & Lonesome"-formation of the band playing the song, you'd love it, riffhards smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 17:57 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 5, 2017 17:53

Rocky Dijon
I would imagine the bass playing is contained within the keyboards and programming credit to Matt Clifford and the recording engineer.

Could be. Haven't seen anything other than that info from Qobuz. There are no credits listed on the single itself.

"Retail-released cardsleeve 2-track CD single. No production/writer credits on package."

[www.discogs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 17:56 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 18:00

Are we sure Matt isn't playing the "harmonica" on the two tracks? grinning smiley

Date: August 5, 2017 18:02

DandelionPowderman
How did we found out that they were done as a songwriting team again, by rumours or these two Jagger tracks.

You're walking into the trap Mick and Keith wants you to, my friend. Let's see what they can come up with before we pass any judgement smoking smiley

That response looks adressed to LongBeach's post.

The possibility you refer to, I can't assess; in my post I said I do not know ( of course), what kind of cooperation, that Mick could be willing to go into at this stage of the proceedings. But I for one don't want such an uncertain outcome to block the creation of an album in the vein of the two Mick Jagger songs. That has become the main priority of my wishthinking now.

Date: August 5, 2017 18:18

I may unaware have arrived at the likenesses of some of your conclusions, LongBeachArena72, but it was in the prolongation of my own post right after midnight on 31th of July, reacting recently to the confrontation, for instance, with stones4ever's posts.

Date: August 5, 2017 18:27

MonkeyMan2000
I don't understand how you, stones4ever, think what Mick has done with these two tracks is different to what the Stones and Keith sometimes play. I can easily imagine GGAG played by the Stones with Keith (obviously, if it was released on a Stones album, there would be much less effects)

For me, GGAG is a pretty straight-forward funk rock track with effects and heavy bass sounds etc. I bet if it was the "Blue & Lonesome"-formation of the band playing the song, you'd love it, riffhards smileys with beer

It does have similarities to tracks like rain fell down and some of Keiths solo tracks but it is also something else. We got rap, we got virtually no melody no rhythm. It doesn't go anywhere. I like ggag I really do, but it's not the Stones good stuff it's the Stones filler.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2017 19:04

wonderboy
How soon before England is playing a match in Germany or Spain and the home crowd begins a singalong, 'Went to see England ...'

Even better would be if some cheeky fans of a Premier League team adopted the song.

That might be the only chance for these tunes to be heard by the general public.
First though, you would need at least 100 people to know the lyrics...is England Lost being played on the radio in Germany or Spain?

But funny you mention that, because the Start Me Up riff is played at numerous sports events in the US. Maybe Gotta Getta Grip will get played at NBA basketball games when a team is losing badly with the crowd chanting "Gotta Getta Grip"....it does have a simple nursery rhyme like quality. Or maybe when a fight breaks out between hockey players during an NHL hockey game - "Gotta getta grip, beat it with a stick"!

Hope Mick does some more publicity for these - Jimmy Fallon or SNL would be the perfect platform for him.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 5, 2017 19:09

Someone mentioned that one of these tunes has a bit of Too Much Blood in it.

I finally heard it. But it's barely anything.

What it more likely is, or fits in with, is a kind of continuation of Rain Fall Down.

Date: August 5, 2017 20:05

GasLightStreet
Someone mentioned that one of these tunes has a bit of Too Much Blood in it.

I finally heard it. But it's barely anything.

What it more likely is, or fits in with, is a kind of continuation of Rain Fall Down.

Yes that's right. Very similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 06:43 by stone4ever.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home