Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 61
Re: Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost"
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 10, 2017 14:28

It's a masterpiece Dandeeeeee .... you deserve it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 10, 2017 14:36

DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
Yes better lyrics than for some time but very insincere lyrics. Mick has covered himself from any backlash to these lyrics by making sure they are understood to be observational as opposed to him having any passion or commitment to them. Funny thing is i didn't notice that until the song accompanied them. They are childlike at times

I went to find England, it wasn't there
I think I lost it in the back of my chair
I think I'm losing my imagination
I'm tired of talking about immigration
You can't get in and you can't get out
I guess that's what we're all about

This is the sort of thing i would be embarrassed to come up with.
I have wrote lyrics and poems all my life and i would never let anyone see this if i had wrote it.

«England's not the same anymore
It's my fault
I can't run away from the mess I've contributed to»

That's how I read that part. There is some mockery/self irony/light-heartedness there, too, but why is it so bad, Riffie?

Why is what so bad ?.

I know how the game is played on here now, i learn slowly but i learn. I would rather not be asked personal questions, i would prefer to post and then reply and comment on a post. I will not ask you or anyone else a personal question or assume someone has a political standpoint or world view when i don't know them. Rightfully politics is banned from iorr, i intend to play within the rules, i will not ever be personal towards a poster or make accusations about a poster or even assume what political angle they have on a subject.
What i can do is surmise about the view Mick might or might not have politically when he expresses that subject matter in his lyrics.That is what Mick has set himself up for when he released those lyrics.

I hope that answers your question winking smiley

Date: August 10, 2017 14:39

That's (partly) because it's rhythmic rhyming, imo -
a whole different ball game, compared to (and btw: why should we...?...) writing poems.
If it's to be compared to anything, it should be compared to any other rap lyric, basically.

I said i write LYRICS and poems.

Date: August 10, 2017 14:44

stone4ever
DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
Yes better lyrics than for some time but very insincere lyrics. Mick has covered himself from any backlash to these lyrics by making sure they are understood to be observational as opposed to him having any passion or commitment to them. Funny thing is i didn't notice that until the song accompanied them. They are childlike at times

I think I lost it in the back of my chair
I think I'm losing my imagination
I'm tired of talking about immigration
You can't get in and you can't get out
I guess that's what we're all about

This is the sort of thing i would be embarrassed to come up with.
I have wrote lyrics and poems all my life and i would never let anyone see this if i had wrote it.

«England's not the same anymore
It's my fault
I can't run away from the mess I've contributed to»

That's how I read that part. There is some mockery/self irony/light-heartedness there, too, but why is it so bad, Riffie?

Why is what so bad ?.

I know how the game is played on here now, i learn slowly but i learn. I would rather not be asked personal questions, i would prefer to post and then reply and comment on a post. I will not ask you or anyone else a personal question or assume someone has a political standpoint or world view when i don't know them. Rightfully politics is banned from iorr, i intend to play within the rules, i will not ever be personal towards a poster or make accusations about a poster or even assume what political angle they have on a subject.
What i can do is surmise about the view Mick might or might not have politically when he expresses that subject matter in his lyrics.That is what Mick has set himself up for when he released those lyrics.

I hope that answers your question winking smiley

I get it, Riffie smiling smiley

But voting for leaving the EU, and then pause for a second / regret – to digest the consequences of his actions (like Mick's character does) is hardly controversial, imo. I bet many did that – at least before they know precisely what Brexit will mean for them.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 10, 2017 14:53

stone4ever
a whole different ball game, compared to (and btw: why should we...?...) writing poems.
If it's to be compared to anything, it should be compared to any other rap lyric, basically.

...And I'm NOT talking about YOU, stone4ever -
I just added my take on what you were saying.

But now you've mentioned it (again): please allow me... with all dued respect: the fact that you've been writing "lyrics and poems" all your life doesn't make you an authority, nor even an expert I'm afraid.

In fact, as it gos for all personal expressions: one either likes it (connects with it), or not. It's not exact science - there are no 'right' or 'wrong', neither 'good' nor 'bad' poems & lyrics...
(Although I do aknowledge there's writers/ poets & lyricists that believe there are such things.)

This, I might add (I'm afraid you won't take me seriously otherwise... smoking smiley ), coming from someone who has devoted draconic portions of his 49-year old life reading, studying ànd - yes sireee - writing "poems and lyrics" himself.

Date: August 10, 2017 15:26

Seeing as the UK (or any other European country) has not left the European union before, we have no idea what it entails, perhaps Mick is saying why are we always saying this or that about immigration what have you, when we have no idea what will happen. Perhaps he is saying 'what will be will be', get over it.
It has that vibe to it i think, like he's bored with the whole thing, come on move on, next page. Its like we tried everything else, lets get on with it.

Date: August 10, 2017 15:38

RoughJusticeOnYa
stone4ever

...And I'm NOT talking about YOU, stone4ever -
I just added my take on what you were saying.

But now you've mentioned it (again): please allow me... with all dued respect: the fact that you've been writing "lyrics and poems" all your life doesn't make you an authority, nor even an expert I'm afraid.

In fact, as it gos for all personal expressions: one either likes it (connects with it), or not. It's not exact science - there are no 'right' or 'wrong', neither 'good' nor 'bad' poems & lyrics...
(Although I do aknowledge there's writers/ poets & lyricists that believe there are such things.)

This, I might add (I'm afraid you won't take me seriously otherwise... smoking smiley ), coming from someone who has devoted draconic portions of his 49-year old life reading, studying ànd - yes sireee - writing "poems and lyrics" himself.

I suppose i'm just disappointed that the man who wrote Time Waits For No One And SFTD finds it hard to come up something better then England Lost lyrically.
I can't get too buzzed about it. I see what you are saying about lyrics being subjective and down to personal taste, and i have never rated Mick or keith as great lyricist anyway, but some of these lyrics on GGAG and EL are poor, but still a marked improvement compared to much of the last 30 years from Mick.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 10, 2017 15:53

stone4ever

I suppose i'm just disappointed that the man who wrote Time Waits For No One And SFTD finds it hard to come up something better then England Lost lyrically.
I can't get too buzzed about it. I see what you are saying about lyrics being subjective and down to personal taste, and i have never rated Mick or keith as great lyricist anyway, but some of these lyrics on GGAG and EL are poor, but still a marked improvement compared to much of the last 30 years from Mick.

...Thàt I absolutely can relate to.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 10, 2017 19:03

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 10, 2017 20:17

"‘Gotta Get A Grip’, meanwhile, sounds like an outtake from pretty much any 1980s Stones album".

Bingo, and I believe I said something similar in the very first post I wrote after hearing it.

Lyrics aside, part of the problem with Mick writing a decent tune musically might have to do with him being first and foremost a singer imo. He didn't start dabbling with guitar until the Stones were already well established, and he's never really mastered it, so what you have is an amateurish vibe with most of what he writes musically. Yes he can play simplistic rudimentary guitar, and yes he has written some good tunes "on his own" based on his guitar "skills" (Brown Sugar, Sway, etc.), but generally speaking the music lacks something with most songs he writes and/or releases on his own. Gotta Getta Grip is a prime example, and when they lyrics are only average, it's just not a great end result. All just my opinion of course, but the reception the song has received has been completely underwhelming (not counting some diehards who like it), so evidently others feel the same way. It was a nice surprise, and it would be great if he continued to release these as fast as he can outside the Stones, but ultimately a song that "sounds like an outtake from pretty much any 1980s Stones album" is not something many people can appreciate in the year 2017.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 10, 2017 20:38

Doxa, c'mon! Your posts are brilliant, please reconsider.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 10, 2017 20:47

A consensus seems to be developing that not only are Mick's new songs *shit in a can* but that Mick himself may not even be *musical.*

As predictable as those conclusions may be, let's not lose focus: please please please can we get back to replacing Mick in The Rolling Stones with Leo Sayer? (Or does that need its own thread?)

That's comedy gold, people, and you're just letting it lie there ...

*makes chef kissing fingers gesture*

Superb!

Date: August 10, 2017 21:03

LongBeachArena72
A consensus seems to be developing that not only are Mick's new songs *shit in a can* but that Mick himself may not even be *musical.*

As predictable as those conclusions may be, let's not lose focus: please please please can we get back to replacing Mick in The Rolling Stones with Leo Sayer? (Or does that need its own thread?)

Superb!

People say the funnest things LB, there is a saying in the North of England “there's nowt so queer as folk”
Another saying is “many a true word is spoken in jest”
I think this one applies here too.

This is rich coming from you LB, perhaps you was speaking in jest when i seem to remember you saying that the Stones were unlistenable live last year. I presume you made your judgement listening to periscope live feeds and youtube clips. By this assumption you possibly view the whole band as not *Musical* Recently i have had the pleasure of seeing some great live shows and the performances and sound were spot on. A few days later listening to youtube clips of the very same shows the sound was unlistenable. This week in my car i have been blasting the Stones Hyde Park gig from 2013 and the Stones sound just great. The same gig on youtube recorded on mobile phones sounds abysmal. It happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-11 00:06 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 10, 2017 21:26

Hairball

"‘Gotta Get A Grip’, meanwhile, sounds like an outtake from pretty much any 1980s Stones album".

Bingo, and I believe I said something similar in the very first post I wrote after hearing it.

Lyrics aside, part of the problem with Mick writing a decent tune musically might have to do with him being first and foremost a singer imo. He didn't start dabbling with guitar until the Stones were already well established, and he's never really mastered it, so what you have is an amateurish vibe with most of what he writes musically. Yes he can play simplistic rudimentary guitar, and yes he has written some good tunes "on his own" based on his guitar "skills" (Brown Sugar, Sway, etc.), but generally speaking the music lacks something with most songs he writes and/or releases on his own. Gotta Getta Grip is a prime example, and when they lyrics are only average, it's just not a great end result. All just my opinion of course, but the reception the song has received has been completely underwhelming (not counting some diehards who like it), so evidently others feel the same way. It was a nice surprise, and it would be great if he continued to release these as fast as he can outside the Stones, but ultimately a song that "sounds like an outtake from pretty much any 1980s Stones album" is not something many people can appreciate in the year 2017.

But the supposedly marvellous song writer Keith Richards allegedly wants to sit down with that unmusical amateur Mick Jagger to create songs, provided that these songs be within Keiths's narrow taste. How could the hero Keith want to write songs with that talentless blockhead Mick? The only explanation can be that this Keith is no good himself. We must conclude that this band has never had anything to supply and ought to disband as soon as possible. We have all let us be swindled during all these years.

Date: August 10, 2017 21:32

Witness
Hairball

But the supposedly marvellous song writer Keith Richards allegedly wants to sit down with that unmusical amateur Mick Jagger to create songs, provided that these songs be within Keiths's narrow taste. How could the hero Keith want to write songs with that talentless blockhead Mick? The only explanation can be that this Keith is no good himself. We must conclude that this band has never had anything to supply and ought to disband as soon as possible. We have all let us be swindled during all these years.

Not sure why you have a tendency to turn this into a Keith vs. Mick thing, as I made no mention of Keith in my post.
And for the record, I never called Mick "unmusical" or a "talentless blockhead"...that is your interpretation based on your own insecurities maybe.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 10, 2017 22:41

What made me give an exaggerating and quite cheap response, Hairball, was my reaction to your interpretating an "underwhelming reception" towards, among the two songs, "Gotta Get a Grip" as indicating that these listeners necessarily agree to the presumption that there generally is a musical lack of something in the songs that Mick writes (almost all his songs I read your posts as referring to) or releases of his own. You judge his songs to have an amateurish vibe. The apparent lack of interest must not result from them sharing your view, but may only show a differing taste among many of the older Stones-oriented public, compared to Mick himself, where Mick on his part appears to be motivated by the ambition to not repeat himself too much in his songwriting.

Then I found reason to compare wiith his nearest collegue in songwriting as far as the Rolling Stones are concerned. This collegue seems interested in writing songs with Mick. That is where Keith came in. And one would think that he holds Mick's songwriting ability in some esteem, more than you do, so far as their different taste does not divide them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-10 22:48 by Witness.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 10, 2017 23:23

‘Gotta Get A Grip’, meanwhile, sounds like an outtake from pretty much any 1980s Stones album".

thumbs up

Nothing wrong with a Stones-outtake from 77-82. I love them. Especially when they surface 25 years later like last week (The Golden Mile), see the Hot Stuff section on IORR.

Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost are 2017 Stones-outtakes which did not make the 2018 album, but it's great we did not have to wait 25 years to hear them. Most of us will be dead by then. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 10, 2017 23:38

RipThisBone
‘Gotta Get A Grip’, meanwhile, sounds like an outtake from pretty much any 1980s Stones album".

thumbs up

Nothing wrong with a Stones-outtake from 77-82. I love them. Especially when they surface 25 years later like last week (The Golden Mile), see the Hot Stuff section on IORR.

Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost are 2017 Stones-outtakes which did not make the 2018 album, but it's great we did not have to wait 25 years to hear them. Most of us will be dead by then. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

Now THAT's the way to put a positive spin on things! Hadn't considered that perspective before... An outtake from an album that hasn't been released yet... I like it! The thought process, that is. I'm still running between meh and luke-warm on the tunes themselves.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 10, 2017 23:43

Maybe Mick and Keith should each release 10 demos, and we can vote on which of them the entire band should work on.

I don't think GGAG can be saved, but Keith could tighten up England Lost, give it a bridge and provide some harmony vocals.

Date: August 11, 2017 01:13

Witness
What made me give an exaggerating and quite cheap response, Hairball, was my reaction to your interpretating an "underwhelming reception" towards, among the two songs, "Gotta Get a Grip" as indicating that these listeners necessarily agree to the presumption that there generally is a musical lack of something in the songs that Mick writes (almost all his songs I read your posts as referring to) or releases of his own. You judge his songs to have an amateurish vibe. The apparent lack of interest must not result from them sharing your view, but may only show a differing taste among many of the older Stones-oriented public, compared to Mick himself, where Mick on his part appears to be motivated by the ambition to not repeat himself too much in his songwriting.

Then I found reason to compare wiith his nearest collegue in songwriting as far as the Rolling Stones are concerned. This collegue seems interested in writing songs with Mick. That is where Keith came in. And one would think that he holds Mick's songwriting ability in some esteem, more than you do, so far as their different taste does not divide them.

That sounds like a more reasonable reply Witness vs. your original "exaggerating and quite cheap response" as you put it. Nothing wrong with a civilized disagreement, and appreciate your response.

"The apparent lack of interest must not result from them sharing your view, but may only show a differing taste among many of the older Stones-oriented public"

Yes, that very well could also be the case for the lack of interest, but it could also be the lack of quality of the songs themselves, or it could be a combination of what we both think. It's all speculation and based on our individual perspective and opinion.

As for your latter part regarding Keith, evidently he didn't like collaborating with Mick on his new solo tunes, so to say he is "interested in writing songs with Mick" is not always the case. I know Keith has said Mick is the best front man in the business (which I would agree with), but at the same time he criticized Micks 40 demos by saying "being prolific doesn't mean shit" then adding "I have three dynamite riffs"...sounds like he doesn't always think Mick is a great songwriter to me, and values quality over quantity.

RipThisBone

Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost are 2017 Stones-outtakes which did not make the 2018 album, but it's great we did not have to wait 25 years to hear them. Most of us will be dead by then.spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

True enough, and I love some of them as well, but when it's written in the context of a less than stellar review, I doubt the critic was referring to anything of quality.
Then again, maybe it was a backhanded compliment and/or just his way of saying these have nothing new to offer...been there, done that. Or maybe his way of saying if these weren't good enough for any '80's Stones albums, why would they be any good now?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 11, 2017 01:40

retired_dog
Hairball
stonehearted
Nice to see the Doors are back in the top 5 and are again huge on Billboard's Hot Singles Sales chart.

Does this mean a revival of the "Jim is not dead" rumors?

Who knows, the Doors may sell more records in this century than in the century they were active.

There could be another Doors movie in the works.

When you're (Billboard) hot, you're Hot!

That's incredible...wonder what has re-sparked the fire?
I know there's another big singles compilation coming out soon, maybe there's a lead off single for it available now?

As for Mick..."1,202 copies in the U.S. and debuted at #2 on Billboard's Hot Singles Sales chart"...are congratulations in order? Or is it a shallow victory?
I recall when Roger Waters new album went to number 1, someone mentioned it was meaningless in today's music buying climate.

It would be interesting to know how many copies "Plundered My Soul" and "No Sparts" sold in comparison as both were promoted as new Stones singles back in the day.

The US Hot Singles Sales is an outdated chart for about 10+ years now, physical singles are very rare and they sell next to nothing: you need 1,500 copies sold to be #1 there and about 120-150 copies to make the Top 15.

Plundered My Soul debuted at #2 with 2,000 copies sold, No Spare Parts also reached #2 selling 2k, Doom And Gloom reached #11, Brown Sugar's re-issue also #2, Satisfaction's re-issue from 2015 was #1 with 1.3k and Ride Em On Down was #4 selling 900 copies last December.

Plundered My Soul, Doom and Gloom and Ride 'Em On Down were way more pupular on the digital/airplay area than the others releases.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 11, 2017 01:57

RipThisBone

thumbs up

Hahaha...full stop....that should be the underlined and all capital equivalent to STFU to all the posers cutting up the track to fit a certain narrative.....hahahahahahahahaha.....a Stones outtake.....doesn't get better than that!!!....that's brilliant!

Date: August 11, 2017 03:07

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

Superb!

People say the funnest things LB, there is a saying in the North of England “there's nowt so queer as folk”

This is rich coming from you LB, perhaps you was speaking in jest when i seem to remember you saying that the Stones were unlistenable live last year. I presume you made your judgement listening to periscope live feeds and youtube clips. By this assumption you possibly view the whole band as not *Musical* Recently i have had the pleasure of seeing some great live shows and the performances and sound were spot on. A few days later listening to youtube clips of the very same shows the sound was unlistenable. This week in my car i have been blasting the Stones Hyde Park gig from 2013 and the Stones sound just great. The same gig on youtube recorded on mobile phones sounds abysmal. It happens.

So the OP was joking about Leo Sayer? No "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing With Mr D" mashup w Ron and Keith on backup vox? Disappointing, to say the least.

Yes, I cannot listen to them live anymore, Against my better judgement, I made the mistake of sampling a few trax from Havana Moon ... woof! Still I would regard them all as 'musicians,' capable of 'musical' moments ... except for that dilettante Jagger, of course. Him I cannot abide, although if what you say about Leo Sayer is true then I guess we're stuck with Mick for a while longer.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 11, 2017 04:11

georgelicks
The US Hot Singles Sales is an outdated chart for about 10+ years now, physical singles are very rare and they sell next to nothing
I was joking.

I'm 51, which means I remember when physical sales meant something. I even have one of those plastic thingies you put in the middle of 45 rpm singles -- for a 45 rpm vinyl disc that I bought in an oldies record shop 25 years ago.

I remember reading, some years ago, that a record company had to sell 80,000 copies of a single just to break even.

So, I guess the new question is, How many streams on Spotty Fly does an artist need to have logged before the record company breaks even?

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 11, 2017 04:36

by the time I get to England she'll be losin'.

Date: August 11, 2017 06:49

stonehearted
So, I guess the new question is, How many streams on Spotty Fly does an artist need to have logged before the record company breaks even?

I've spent a few hrs over the past couple of months trying to understand Spotify's royalty payment scheme and do not profess to be anywhere close to being able to answer this question. It's difficult for a number of reasons:

*'break even' assumes deducting costs against revenue. Revenues may be fairly straightforward (see below) but costs (marketing campaign, PR, production, advertisements, etc.) will vary wildly from release to release.

*Spotify pays out 70% of its royalties to rights holders and keeps the other 30%. But that 70% gets gobbled up by the acts, the labels, and other middlemen, based on each individual contract. The slice of that 70% that actually ends up in the pocket of the musician(s) again varies wildly depending on the relative merits of their contract with their label.

*Labels also get an off-the-top 'cut' of total Spotify revenue before any royalties are calculated; that number is as you might imagine a very closely guarded—and furiously negotiated—trade secret!

I did read recently that a million streams will generate $5,000-6,000 in payments from Spotify to rights-holders. After a couple weeks of release, "Gotta Get a Grip" is coming up on 1MM streams; "Trouble," the most-streamed tune from Crosseyed Heart, by comparison, has generated about 1.1MM streams in two years. Both results are horrible by Spotify standards and both have probably netted their songwriters less than $1,000 in royalties after all label-related costs are deducted.

But, to get back to your original question, again, I have no idea how one would even go about making such a calculation from publicly-available data.

Date: August 11, 2017 10:12

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

Superb!

So the OP was joking about Leo Sayer? No "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing With Mr D" mashup w Ron and Keith on backup vox? Disappointing, to say the least.

Yes, I cannot listen to them live anymore, Against my better judgement, I made the mistake of sampling a few trax from Havana Moon ... woof! Still I would regard them all as 'musicians,' capable of 'musical' moments ... except for that dilettante Jagger, of course. Him I cannot abide, although if what you say about Leo Sayer is true then I guess we're stuck with Mick for a while longer.

Fair enough LB, i don't think i commented on leo Sayer or Mick not being musical. I happen to think Mick is a musician of course and the thought of Keith up there on stage playing SFTD with Leo Sayer is an image that i can never forget hehe hilarious. Yes i think the OP was talking in jest, he was overemphasizing to display his frustration and dismay concerning Mick i think.

Date: August 11, 2017 12:16

Date: August 11, 2017 14:31

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Oh dear
Can't somebody find him some maracas to play with or something

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-11 14:52 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 11, 2017 15:34

Unfortunately, I'm not impressed with either song. I think the Clash would have done a better job considering the lyrics.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home