Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...183184185186187188189190191192193...LastNext
Current Page: 188 of 704
Re: Jagger instagram today
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 21, 2018 10:17

@swimtothemoon - good point about solo artists having it easier when it comes to releasing albums. Mick alone could have easily released 3+ albums since 2005. The problem with the Stones is the imbalance between the two main characters, Mick being both productive and able to write songs on his own and Keith, being well...neither.

Up until 2005 when bands more or less needed a new album to tour, Keith was probably made to feel "put up or shut up" but now he can drag his feet all he wants and they can still tour and laugh all the way to the bank with the touring, so no pressure from Charlie or Ronnie either, or anyone else who gets rich thanks to them.

And then you have Mick who's stuck with all his demos! Too bad he didn't release two killer tracks last year that set the fans on fire and generated a bit of interest among the general public.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-21 12:51 by gotdablouse.

Date: August 21, 2018 10:45

My dream is that we're getting a huge box, loaded with songs - as a farewell-present for the fans. A «55 New Licks» kind of release smiling smiley

Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 21, 2018 18:06

For several years, they've worked in fits and starts and sometimes piecemeal on new tracks toward a new album. Since that isn't the way they used to work before they were in their seventies, a number of fans pound their fists on the floor and kick their legs in the air and say the album will never happen.

Likewise since they were in their seventies, they don't do big tours any longer, they simply play a dozen or so shows each year spread out over about as many weeks and that is the extent of the effort they put forward. The same fans should likewise be tour-deniers. "They don't tour. They'll never tour. If it's not the way it used to be before they were in their seventies, it doesn't count."

This, at least, would be consistent logic.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 21, 2018 19:00

Rocky Dijon
I believe we will hear a few "Gotta Get a Grip" type numbers (I think this is likely one of them) on the next Stones album.

I hope you're wrong sad smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 21, 2018 19:25

Rocky Dijon
I believe we will hear a few "Gotta Get a Grip" type numbers (I think this is likely one of them) on the next Stones album....................

Well, I am one, who liked the two songs that Mick Jagger and Friends released very much.

It is, however, a question of how close such a family resemblance will be for those songs of the indicated same type. Presented with your view, some readers think about songs that would be more or less identical. I doubt that they will be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-21 19:26 by Witness.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 21, 2018 21:25

georgelicks
gotdablouse
Mick recording his 65th demo since 2005 for a song that the world will never hear ;-)

It really has to be frustrating for him to be sitting on all these songs...

You're not far from the truth actually, I still don't know why he didn't release a solo album or two during the last decade, hell he can release a triple album by now with all those songs.

Obviously George there's absolutely nothing new in regards to an album of new material. Not even for 2019?...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 22, 2018 01:02

Maindefender
georgelicks
gotdablouse
Mick recording his 65th demo since 2005 for a song that the world will never hear ;-)

It really has to be frustrating for him to be sitting on all these songs...

You're not far from the truth actually, I still don't know why he didn't release a solo album or two during the last decade, hell he can release a triple album by now with all those songs.

Obviously George there's absolutely nothing new in regards to an album of new material. Not even for 2019?...eye rolling smiley

No for this year, but the chances are very good for 2019.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 22, 2018 02:28

KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon
I believe we will hear a few "Gotta Get a Grip" type numbers (I think this is likely one of them) on the next Stones album.

I hope you're wrong sad smiley

Me too. Those two tracks were not Stones material and whatever it is they were it was bad.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: August 22, 2018 02:50

never even heard them

Date: August 22, 2018 03:13

"Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" weren't really my style, but neither was SUPERHEAVY. That said, I didn't think they were that far removed from "Doom and Gloom." I wasn't a big fan of that either. For some, just slapping The Rolling Stones name on a track makes it better just as labeling it a Jagger solo track makes it automatically worse. There's been plenty of material in the last decade I have enjoyed so a few that make me feel like I'm the wrong end of the Generation Gap doesn't really bother me.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 22, 2018 03:54

Plenty of new material in the last decade you've enjoyed by the Stones, Keith, and/or Mick?

I enjoyed Keith's solo album immensely, Superheavy maybe a little (thanks to Damian Marley's contributions), while Doom and Gloom, One More Shot, and Getta Grip/England Lost were all sort of stinkers. The blues covers album was OK, but alas it was a covers album and I preferred the previous/original versions so never listened to B&L after the first few weeks. As for Doom and Gloom and One More Shot, it was nice they had a couple new tunes to play live, and the versions that I did see were a step above the studio versions, but that's not saying much. Would have been nice to have heard Keith's solo version of One More Shot as according to Steve Jordan it was much better (and completely different), but of course he has some bias as he worked on it w/Keith, though I'll take his word for it and hopefully it will appear some day. As for Getta Grip/England Lost - wasn't a big fan of either, but there's been far worse songs on Stones/Mick solo albums over the last 35 years. I've said before that Keith might have been able to add something to spice it up a bit, but the more I think about it not sure exactly what he could have done to help. The general reception those singles received was poor at best - not only from most fans, but also from general music buying public. If there are/were any similar demos Mick wrote, perhaps that message will sink in - not many people want that type of stuff.

Date: August 22, 2018 06:10

Yeah for me, "Pass the Wine" and "Plundered My Soul" along with "When You're Gone," "Do You Think I Care?," and "Don't Be a Stranger" were really good. I've also stuck with "Trouble," "Nothing On Me," "Something For Nothing," "Lovers Plea," and "Robbed Blind" from Keith. Finally, I rate "Just Your Fool," "Hate To See You Go," and "Just Like I Treat You" very highly. That's already an album's worth of material. There's others I don't mind (like "I Don't Mind" from SuperHeavy), but those were my very favorites.

Date: August 22, 2018 06:29

Ahhh...wasn't considering those decades old extras/leftover bonus tracks from the Some Girls and Exile Deluxe's. I was thinking actual new tunes recorded in the last decade (and not just newly recorded vocals ala Plundered).
I realize some of Crosseyed Heart may have been recorded over a longer period than that, but it was presented as all new in 2015.
The Some Girls bonus disc was very special! thumbs up

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 22, 2018 06:57

"Stones" and "album" went out in 1981.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 22, 2018 07:18

Rocky Dijon
For several years, they've worked in fits and starts and sometimes piecemeal on new tracks toward a new album. Since that isn't the way they used to work before they were in their seventies, a number of fans pound their fists on the floor and kick their legs in the air and say the album will never happen.

Likewise since they were in their seventies, they don't do big tours any longer, they simply play a dozen or so shows each year spread out over about as many weeks and that is the extent of the effort they put forward. The same fans should likewise be tour-deniers. "They don't tour. They'll never tour. If it's not the way it used to be before they were in their seventies, it doesn't count."

This, at least, would be consistent logic.

I agree. Things are different now .... much of it due to their age ... (and understandably). Some things are different due to the times.

I don't mind them piecing it together via segments .. I simply wish the segments were a little more frequent is all ... and that they had got on with it ..

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 22, 2018 08:23

5strings
All those lines make me think that i bought both of the records from Keith & Mick solo ,i dont remember any words of Keith records crosseyed,but i can sing the two Jaggers song ,gotta get a grip and england lost .
So ...

...funny, innit?

Date: August 22, 2018 09:00

Sing the verses for us, then..

You remembered one word, obviously, 5string smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 22, 2018 11:09

About that funny Jagger instagram clip, two things popped up to my mind in a sec:

(1) Jagger's been checking out IORR and discovered that the infamous "Another Stones studio album in year this and that" has been quiet for some time... a little teaser is needed (worked).

(2) What Keith has said about MIck's electric guitar playing abilities. Lacking all dynamics and strumming too loud. We are back in SOME GIRLS sessions?grinning smiley

But after this the thread has been degenerated once again for just another 'let's say what we think of Mick and Keith's latest efforts', especially confronted against each other... But I guess there is not much else to talk about right now...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 11:10 by Doxa.

Date: August 22, 2018 11:28

Doxa
About that funny Jagger instagram clip, two things popped up to my mind in a sec:

(1) Jagger's been checking out IORR and discovered that the infamous "Another Stones studio album in year this and that" has been quiet for some time... a little teaser is needed (worked).

(2) What Keith has said about MIck's electric guitar playing abilities. Lacking all dynamics and strumming too loud. We are back in SOME GIRLS sessions?grinning smiley

But after this the thread has been degenerated once again for just another 'let's say what we think of Mick and Keith's latest efforts', especially confronted against each other... But I guess there is not much else to talk about right now...

- Doxa

More like back to Gunface, imo winking smiley

Date: August 22, 2018 17:01

Hairball
Ahhh...wasn't considering those decades old extras/leftover bonus tracks from the Some Girls and Exile Deluxe's. I was thinking actual new tunes recorded in the last decade (and not just newly recorded vocals ala Plundered).

Well, there were no songs called "Pass the Wine" or "Plundered My Soul" when they cut EXILE. 100% new lyrics and melody line and, in the case of the single, a 100% new lead guitar. That seems new to me.

Likewise there was no song called "Don't Be a Stranger" when they cut SOME GIRLS. Again, 100% new lyrics and Clifford's harpsichord was new as well. The other two ("When You're Gone" and "Do You Think?") count as re-cuts. Both songs existed when they did the original album. "When You're Gone" had more work done lyrically, but "Do You Think?" had more musical overdubs. Something like "I Love You Too Much" doesn't strike me as "new" since the lyrical work and vocal overdub were down to a single line (repeated twice). Both projects have 5 or 6 "new" cuts. To me, that's little different from FLASHPOINT, FORTY LICKS, and GRRR where we've become accustomed to getting orphan tracks rather than a wholly new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 17:03 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 22, 2018 18:12

DandelionPowderman

I may be wrong but 5string just wants to express that the 2 Jagger songs stick in his mind better than anything from CH.

But what does it tell us? Could be the starting point for another long and fruitful discussion...

And as I see that Doxa's back - Doxa? Wanna start?

Date: August 22, 2018 20:04

Rocky Dijon
Hairball

Well, there were no songs called "Pass the Wine" or "Plundered My Soul" when they cut EXILE. 100% new lyrics and melody line and, in the case of the single, a 100% new lead guitar. That seems new to me.

Likewise there was no song called "Don't Be a Stranger" when they cut SOME GIRLS. Again, 100% new lyrics and Clifford's harpsichord was new as well. The other two ("When You're Gone" and "Do You Think?") count as re-cuts. Both songs existed when they did the original album. "When You're Gone" had more work done lyrically, but "Do You Think?" had more musical overdubs. Something like "I Love You Too Much" doesn't strike me as "new" since the lyrical work and vocal overdub were down to a single line (repeated twice). Both projects have 5 or 6 "new" cuts. To me, that's little different from FLASHPOINT, FORTY LICKS, and GRRR where we've become accustomed to getting orphan tracks rather than a wholly new album.

In that case, maybe they should dig back through the vaults for unfinished tracks and add a few final touches to them - maybe some new lyrics, a harpsichord, some overdubs, maybe change a melody line, and maybe even bring back Mick Taylor to add a new solo here and there. If all this can be considered "new", then I'm all for it. There's no harm in going back to find something that's worthy - even if it means going back 40 years or more. I've said in the past they could easily do another Tattoo You style album, piecing it together Frankenstein style, and those 2002 demos that recently surfaced to a majority of us would be a nice place to start as there were quite a few good ones there. A shame that project was aborted and forgotten, and instead they went all A Bigger Bang instead. With all the frustration that has arisen over this supposed new album - fighting over Mick's demo's, etc. - all they have to do is look in the barrel to find some unpolished nuggets that need a bit of sprucing up.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 22, 2018 20:40

the subject of the stones releasing a new album for years has become very very boring and tedious.

either do it, or shut the feck up.

as much as i love this band, i have lost so much respect for them for the way they treat the fans.

if your not going to release an album tell us, if you are then do it, dont talk about it.

lets say we all decided to talk about what we might do, or could do, but had no real intention of doing. we would all lose interest after a while, as nothing happens.

people are only interested in what happens, not what could happen but never does.

if your going to release an album, do it, dont drag it our for years and expect people to respect you for it, they wont.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 22, 2018 20:55

Don’t guitarists have to keep playing on a semi regular basis or there calluses go away? (I don’t know, but heard Ronnie say it one time)
Maybe Jagger’s clip is to show us ge got off the couch
(or has had enough wine tasting in the hills somewhere)
and is back to keep his form
because he’s going on the road again?

Date: August 22, 2018 21:36

It's a very small percentage of people that spend money to see them in concert that wake up each morning and wonder if they're working on a new album. Normal people (not us) are happy to hear an album is out or coming out and may buy it. Only among the loons can you find people that are angry they aren't delivering at what extreme fans consider a reasonable schedule for people in their mid-seventies. Lazy bastards that they are.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: August 22, 2018 22:07

The Stones catalog is 2nd to none, that legacy has long been set in stone. Any new studio stuff is totally irrelevant to me at this point. I'm just hoping for more shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 22:07 by Gaetzi.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 22, 2018 22:18

the band have been quoted as working on an album which they will release.

the rolling stones also owe us nothing.

so the least they can do is be honest.

Date: August 22, 2018 22:24

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman

I may be wrong but 5string just wants to express that the 2 Jagger songs stick in his mind better than anything from CH.

But what does it tell us? Could be the starting point for another long and fruitful discussion...

And as I see that Doxa's back - Doxa? Wanna start?

I think we did that profoundly the first time smiling smiley

Date: August 22, 2018 22:39

buttons67
the band have been quoted as working on an album which they will release.

the rolling stones also owe us nothing.

so the least they can do is be honest.

Believe me, I want them to finish this album even if I don't like every track. I care much more about their creative work than I do another Greatest Hits tour, though that is only my selfish opinion. I understand why they tour and why it matters to so many people each year.

That said, they are being honest. They are working on a new album. They've been working on a new album since December 2015. They don't work on it each day or week or even month. They did tinker with it throughout the course of 2016 and 2017 and this year as well. The expectation is it will be out in 2019. That isn't a guarantee yet. You're right they owe us nothing. They do owe Universal. There will be an album. For now, it's their project with input from Don Was and various executives at Universal. When they're ready, it'll be ours.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: August 23, 2018 04:16

Hairball
Rocky Dijon
Hairball

In that case, maybe they should dig back through the vaults for unfinished tracks and add a few final touches to them - maybe some new lyrics, a harpsichord, some overdubs, maybe change a melody line, and maybe even bring back Mick Taylor to add a new solo here and there. If all this can be considered "new", then I'm all for it. There's no harm in going back to find something that's worthy - even if it means going back 40 years or more. I've said in the past they could easily do another Tattoo You style album, piecing it together Frankenstein style, and those 2002 demos that recently surfaced to a majority of us would be a nice place to start as there were quite a few good ones there. A shame that project was aborted and forgotten, and instead they went all A Bigger Bang instead. With all the frustration that has arisen over this supposed new album - fighting over Mick's demo's, etc. - all they have to do is look in the barrel to find some unpolished nuggets that need a bit of sprucing up.
Right . then everyone on this board would moan about how lazy they are and can't be bothered to write and record new relevant music. Great.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...183184185186187188189190191192193...LastNext
Current Page: 188 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home