Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...178179180181182183184185186187188...LastNext
Current Page: 183 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 15, 2018 19:42

Bue & Lonesome was great. The best thing they've done in the post-Wyman era. Adding Clapton on a couple cuts only made it better, like a return to the soaring Taylor era. I don't have much faith they can pull off a great album of original material, it's been almost thirty years since they have. And with no change in the musical lineup (for the better) I don't see anything fresh happening. Please prove me wrong.

Date: July 15, 2018 22:17

RoughJusticeOnYa
Lien
THE ROLLING STONES PERSONALLY CURATE THEIR FAVORITE ALL-TIME BLUESMEN FOR NEW COMPILATION ALBUM

DONATION TO WILLIE DIXON’S BLUES HEAVEN FOUNDATION

COVER ARTWORK BY RONNIE WOOD

“If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music.” – Keith Richards

As well as being the biggest band in the world, The Rolling Stones are also the biggest champions of the blues, so who better to curate a compilation of the music that inspired them throughout their career?

Confessin’ The Blues collects together the greatest bluesmen ever and provides a perfect education to the genre. The tracklisting has been chosen by The Rolling Stones and will be released on BMG on 26 October.

The Rolling Stones have long been supporters of the Blues from before the start of their career right through to their latest album, Blue & Lonesome which featured their interpretations of the classics, many of which appear in their original versions here on Confessin’ The Blues. Mick Jagger was an early fan of the Blues: “The first Muddy Waters album that was really popular was Muddy Waters at Newport, which was the first album I ever bought”. As such big supporters of the genre, the band and BMG/Universal have decided that 10% of BMG’s net receipts* from the sale of this album will be donated to Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation (Registered as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organisation in the United States).

Confessin’ The Blues includes tracks by the biggest Blues pioneers including Howlin’ Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Big Bill Broonzy and Robert Johnson. All of these artists had an impact on the nascent Rolling Stones, be they influencing Keith’s guitar licks or Mick’s vocals and lyrics. As Ronnie Wood says: “That’s how Mick and Keith first got close as well, on the train coming back from college. They noticed each other’s record collection and it was, “Hey, you’ve got Muddy Waters. You must be a good guy, let’s form a band”.

This 10’’ version includes liner notes by music journalist Colin Larkin and contains removeable art card prints by noted blues illustrator Christoph Mueller. The album cover artwork comes courtesy of Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood who has added his own personal twist to the project by painting his interpretation of a Bluesman.

Confessin’ The Blues is a real musical education from those who know the genre best, the greatest living band on the planet, The Rolling Stones.[store.digitalstores.co.uk]

Goodie.

side A to J, so ten(!!) sides; for (roughly) only 40 songs... must be a vinyl box, then?
(didn't see that stated anywhere in that release statement - but I could have overlooked it.)

Luckily, the discs aren't 10" CDs winking smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 16, 2018 03:49

B&L [corrected] was OK, in fact, I like the album more than I expected to and it was possibly the right thing to do at the time (certainly a better thing to do than releasing a half-baked - or half-assed - new album of originals) but a B&L II [corrected] would just be a stopgap applying the old formula one more time.

If an album leaves you asking for more it's often better not to get it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-16 05:36 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 16, 2018 05:14

I think you man B&L.

Date: July 16, 2018 05:35

You're right, of course! I just corrected that. Those Bs are so compelling .. winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 16, 2018 06:04

doitywoik
You're right, of course! I just corrected that. Those Bs are so compelling .. winking smiley

All these B's and L's and the fact I haven't had dinner yet, makes me think of one thing - a BLT.

Bacon, lettuce, and tomato - coming right up. thumbs up

Date: July 16, 2018 06:06

Looks great! Where can these be downloaded? smileys with beer

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 16, 2018 10:33

doitywoik
B&L [corrected] was OK, in fact, I like the album more than I expected to and it was possibly the right thing to do at the time (certainly a better thing to do than releasing a half-baked - or half-assed - new album of originals) but a B&L II [corrected] would just be a stopgap applying the old formula one more time.

Spot on .. I mean Spot on. Blue & Lonesome leaves us yearnin for just a bit more from that collection... This is why we should not get it .. at least not for a long time .. and at least not more than a couple bonus tracks way down the road. .

Giving another product of something that leaves you wanting just a tad more would kill it.

Blue and Lonesome is the perfect example of that product .. Leave it. Another product like that / in the same vane would turn that interest into something 'disinterested' .. It's the wrong move .. It was special ... Now leave it and move on (and they are).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-16 10:33 by IanBillen.

Date: July 17, 2018 00:54

IanBillen
doitywoik

Spot on .. I mean Spot on. Blue & Lonesome leaves us yearnin for just a bit more from that collection... This is why we should not get it .. at least not for a long time .. and at least not more than a couple bonus tracks way down the road. .

Giving another product of something that leaves you wanting just a tad more would kill it.

Blue and Lonesome is the perfect example of that product .. Leave it. Another product like that / in the same vane would turn that interest into something 'disinterested' .. It's the wrong move .. It was special ... Now leave it and move on (and they are).

Interesting how this has evolved (or devolved) into what they shouldn't and/or won't do vs. what they should, could, and possibly will do.
The bottom line is they should release a new album period, and from my perspective, doesn't really matter what type of album it is.
At this point I'd even welcome another greatest hits (or some sort of compilation) with one or two new tunes slapped on it ala GRRRR.

Other possibilities:

An album of brand new originals. Sure, why not...even though it's the last thing on their mind, maybe they can finish what they started, and have it ready in the next three or four years.
An album of brand new original blues tunes? I'm more than fine with that. In fact this would be my #1 choice as of right now.
Another album of blues covers. Better than nothing, and Keith has expressed his desire to do so. Might not match the success of B&L, but it would be better than nothing.
A Tattoo You style album made up of bits and pieces of "recent" work, along with leftovers from the vaults and given new life ala Frankenstein - based on the 40 Licks outtakes, plenty of good stuff that would work.
A Jagger dominated new album with tunes similar to Getta Grip/England Lost. Hmmm...again, better than nothing but doubtful this will happen (see Keith's past refusals to work on this type of stuff).
And there's the possibility Mick might release some more solo singles, and with any luck Keith will release some more solo material as well.

In the meantime, they're promoting a compilation album made of of classic blues tunes by other artists "handpicked by the Stones" to be released in October, and eventually the forthcoming Beggars Banquet Deluxe.
Along with that, they're taking a well deserved break from the mini-tour with family time at home, and before you know it they'll be promoting the next mini tour that's almost guaranteed to happen by either the end of this year or the beginning of next. So with all this activity, when and where will they find the time to work on a new album? Based on their work patterns and disagreements on it over the last few years, we'd be lucky to see a new album of anything in the next five years. Haven't given up all hope, but I'm beginning to focus more on the future of live shows than the possibility of a new album.

As bv stated: "Nobody not even in the band will say anything about the new album. It will be a bonus if it happens some day, but tours every year are more likely".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 17, 2018 02:42

ROCKMAN

Date: July 17, 2018 03:42

Is that the new album cover? smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 17, 2018 05:51

….nah!! ... this is the new album cover …….

ROCKMAN

Date: July 17, 2018 07:31

Lol lots going in that pic - a big gal with big feet and her horny boyfriend smothering her,
an annoyed guy in upper right corner (maybe he's a bit jealous?) sort of looks like Buddy Holly but heavier and older,
another guy to his right who doesn't seem to have a care in the world staring down the camera,
and a bunch of others simply enjoying the movie which looks to be in 3d....maybe The Creature From the Black Lagoon...
All in all, would make a great cover! thumbs up

Date: July 17, 2018 08:01

Hairball
Lol lots going in that pic - a big gal with big feet and her horny boyfriend smothering her,
an annoyed guy in upper right corner (maybe he's a bit jealous?) sort of looks like Buddy Holly but heavier and older,
another guy to his right who doesn't seem to have a care in the world staring down the camera,
and a bunch of others simply enjoying the movie which looks to be in 3d....maybe The Creature From the Black Lagoon...

Hair Ball!!

It is a great cover / would be. I could see Elvis Costello having an album with this cover ... Maybe not so much in line with The Stones.

Date: July 17, 2018 08:14

IanBillen
Hairball

Hair Ball!!

It is a great cover / would be. I could see Elvis Costello having an album with this cover ... Maybe not so much in line with The Stones.

Haha ok maybe you're right Ian...maybe the cover of the first new Stones single...or the back of the first single...or maybe part of a collage featuring many pics ala the Exile cover. smiling smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 17, 2018 13:38

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
Lien
THE ROLLING STONES PERSONALLY CURATE THEIR FAVORITE ALL-TIME BLUESMEN FOR NEW COMPILATION ALBUM

“If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music.” – Keith Richards

As well as being the biggest band in the world, The Rolling Stones are also the biggest champions of the blues, so who better to curate a compilation of the music that inspired them throughout their career?

Confessin’ The Blues collects together the greatest bluesmen ever and provides a perfect education to the genre. The tracklisting has been chosen by The Rolling Stones and will be released on BMG on 26 October.

The Rolling Stones have long been supporters of the Blues from before the start of their career right through to their latest album, Blue & Lonesome which featured their interpretations of the classics, many of which appear in their original versions here on Confessin’ The Blues. Mick Jagger was an early fan of the Blues: “The first Muddy Waters album that was really popular was Muddy Waters at Newport, which was the first album I ever bought”. As such big supporters of the genre, the band and BMG/Universal have decided that 10% of BMG’s net receipts* from the sale of this album will be donated to Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation (Registered as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organisation in the United States).

Confessin’ The Blues includes tracks by the biggest Blues pioneers including Howlin’ Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Big Bill Broonzy and Robert Johnson. All of these artists had an impact on the nascent Rolling Stones, be they influencing Keith’s guitar licks or Mick’s vocals and lyrics. As Ronnie Wood says: “That’s how Mick and Keith first got close as well, on the train coming back from college. They noticed each other’s record collection and it was, “Hey, you’ve got Muddy Waters. You must be a good guy, let’s form a band”.

This 10’’ version includes liner notes by music journalist Colin Larkin and contains removeable art card prints by noted blues illustrator Christoph Mueller. The album cover artwork comes courtesy of Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood who has added his own personal twist to the project by painting his interpretation of a Bluesman.

Confessin’ The Blues is a real musical education from those who know the genre best, the greatest living band on the planet, The Rolling Stones.[store.digitalstores.co.uk]

Goodie.

side A to J, so ten(!!) sides; for (roughly) only 40 songs... must be a vinyl box, then?
(didn't see that stated anywhere in that release statement - but I could have overlooked it.)

Luckily, the discs aren't 10" CDs winking smiley

t..t..t..t.. there's still the laserdisc, right Dandeee... smoking smiley

Date: July 17, 2018 18:27

grinning smiley

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: July 18, 2018 04:00

IanBillen
Hairball

Hair Ball!!

Still better than No Security....ugh-worst ever

Date: July 18, 2018 04:52

Hairball
IanBillen
doitywoik

Interesting how this has evolved (or devolved) into what they shouldn't and/or won't do vs. what they should, could, and possibly will do.
The bottom line is they should release a new album period, and from my perspective, doesn't really matter what type of album it is.
At this point I'd even welcome another greatest hits (or some sort of compilation) with one or two new tunes slapped on it ala GRRRR.

Other possibilities:

An album of brand new originals. Sure, why not...even though it's the last thing on their mind, maybe they can finish what they started, and have it ready in the next three or four years.
An album of brand new original blues tunes? I'm more than fine with that. In fact this would be my #1 choice as of right now.
Another album of blues covers. Better than nothing, and Keith has expressed his desire to do so. Might not match the success of B&L, but it would be better than nothing.
A Tattoo You style album made up of bits and pieces of "recent" work, along with leftovers from the vaults and given new life ala Frankenstein - based on the 40 Licks outtakes, plenty of good stuff that would work.
A Jagger dominated new album with tunes similar to Getta Grip/England Lost. Hmmm...again, better than nothing but doubtful this will happen (see Keith's past refusals to work on this type of stuff).
And there's the possibility Mick might release some more solo singles, and with any luck Keith will release some more solo material as well.

In the meantime, they're promoting a compilation album made of of classic blues tunes by other artists "handpicked by the Stones" to be released in October, and eventually the forthcoming Beggars Banquet Deluxe.
Along with that, they're taking a well deserved break from the mini-tour with family time at home, and before you know it they'll be promoting the next mini tour that's almost guaranteed to happen by either the end of this year or the beginning of next. So with all this activity, when and where will they find the time to work on a new album? Based on their work patterns and disagreements on it over the last few years, we'd be lucky to see a new album of anything in the next five years. Haven't given up all hope, but I'm beginning to focus more on the future of live shows than the possibility of a new album.

As bv stated: "Nobody not even in the band will say anything about the new album. It will be a bonus if it happens some day, but tours every year are more likely".

Well now ....Let's not make excuses for them .. They have and have had 'pleaaaaaaaaaaanty' of time .. and then some to record / make an album.. .. ..

In three weeks they could record a whole albums worth if they truly wanted to (provided it was written). I am booking an act who is planning on doing 6-7 songs in two days .. They will because they did 5 in two days the last time.

Sure.. there are overdubs etc and that is provided the songs are written and rehearsed a bit.. Yes they have time.

When you talk about promoting a Beggars Banquet deluxe. The Stones do almost nothing when it comes to 'promoting'. They may do an interview or two on the topics and maybe a promo commercial but they just basically sign off and the record company does the rest. Charlie Watts would most likely be unaware unless someone told him .. When it comes to promoting these type of things The Stones don't have to do hardly anything at all (except collect a check).

They have plenty of time to record it .. and they have had more than enough already ..they just chose not to or to follow other ventures ... .. . It doesn't take four years to record an album. For example .. Some Girls was recorded in five months. It is possible to record much faster now. As well .. they already have a major start on it.. In fact they are in the middle of it.

Those poor Rolling Stones have the time, mate.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-18 04:59 by IanBillen.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 18, 2018 05:07

IanBillen
When you talk about promoting a Beggars Banquet deluxe.

How do we KNOW this is coming out? Did I miss the press release? Or is it a massive WANT or ASSUMPTION?

Not SINGLING you out IanB, just yours is the most recent post of many that I have seen talking about a Beggars deluxe...

Rod

Date: July 18, 2018 05:48

Ian Billen
Well now ....Let's not make excuses for them .. They have and have had 'pleaaaaaaaaaaanty' of time .. and then some to record / make an album.. .. ..
In three weeks they could record a whole albums worth if they truly wanted to (provided it was written). I am booking an act who is planning on doing 6-7 songs in two days .. They will because they did 5 in two days the last time.
Sure.. there are overdubs etc and that is provided the songs are written and rehearsed a bit.. Yes they have time.

I don't think I'm making excuses for them - I'm just explaining their modus operandi, ie their slow motion method at getting their record done. They don't seem to care about it that much, otherwise it might have been finished a couple of years ago, but the fact is there's more money to be made with touring and that's what they've been focusing on. On the other hand maybe they care too much, second guessing everything that's been worked on, sending out an experimental single to see if it works, starting over, etc., etc., etc. As for the act your booking, surely they aren't anywhere near the same league as the Rolling Stones meaning they're probably still hungry, motivated, and anxious to release new material - grateful for the opportunity. And then you have the Stones - lazy multi-millionaires who can take their sweet time, and based on their setlists are seemingly resting on their laurels.

Ian Billen
When you talk about promoting a Beggars Banquet deluxe. The Stones do almost nothing when it comes to 'promoting'. They may do an interview or two on the topics and maybe a promo commercial but they just basically sign off and the record company does the rest. Charlie Watts would most likely be unaware unless someone told him .. When it comes to promoting these type of things The Stones don't have to do hardly anything at all (except collect a check).

Right I understand that Ian - what I meant was it will be promoted on their website just as this blues compilation "handpicked by the Stones" currently is right now. They will not want to add anything else to conflict with what is currently being "promoted".

Ian Billen
They have plenty of time to record it .. and they have had more than enough already ..they just chose not to or to follow other ventures ... .. . It doesn't take four years to record an album. For example .. Some Girls was recorded in five months. It is possible to record much faster now. As well .. they already have a major start on it.. In fact they are in the middle of it.

Yes agree that they have plenty of time, but they choose to focus on dozens of other things (touring, family time, etc., etc., etc.) and you can't really blame them - touring brings in the big money, while family times makes them happy at their old age and they deserve it. Also agree it doesn't take four year to record a new album, but if you condense all the time they have worked on it we're probably talking about a total of two maybe three weeks give or take. While they may have had a major start on it, they've also had some major setbacks with it. I'm sure the experiment of having Mick release Getta Grip/England Lost (and it's failure to have much success) probably through a wrench in the entire process. Again, they probably had to rethink the direction, second guess the work that's already been done, and for all we know scrap everything that might have been accomplished so far. A fictional analogy here and not that this has ever happened, but as an artist, lets say I have a painting that I started working on four years ago and put it aside unfinished for whatever reason. Chances are I'll probably never get around to going back to it, let alone finish it. The concept might seem outdated, or isn't as relevant as it might originally seemed, and I've probably moved on with other new projects to deal with. And then if you consider I might have had a collaborator, and we disagreed on many of the decisions, banging our heads against a wall in frustration (lol) - chances are even slimmer that old idea will ever come to life!

bitusa2012
How do we KNOW this is coming out? Did I miss the press release? Or is it a massive WANT or ASSUMPTION?

No press release, just an assumption based on what georgelicks mentioned here awhile ago. And there might have been mention of it somewhere else (maybe a magazine article?), but not sure. The fact they released a Satanic Majesties Deluxe, you would think they'd want to do the same for the superior Beggars?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-18 05:51 by Hairball.

Date: July 18, 2018 10:35

Hairball
Ian Billen

I don't think I'm making excuses for them - I'm just explaining their modus operandi, ie their slow motion method at getting their record done. They don't seem to care about it that much, otherwise it might have been finished a couple of years ago, but the fact is there's more money to be made with touring and that's what they've been focusing on. On the other hand maybe they care too much, second guessing everything that's been worked on, sending out an experimental single to see if it works, starting over, etc., etc., etc. As for the act your booking, surely they aren't anywhere near the same league as the Rolling Stones meaning they're probably still hungry, motivated, and anxious to release new material - grateful for the opportunity. And then you have the Stones - lazy multi-millionaires who can take their sweet time, and based on their setlists are seemingly resting on their laurels.

Ian Billen

Right I understand that Ian - what I meant was it will be promoted on their website just as this blues compilation "handpicked by the Stones" currently is right now. They will not want to add anything else to conflict with what is currently being "promoted".

Ian Billen

Yes agree that they have plenty of time, but they choose to focus on dozens of other things (touring, family time, etc., etc., etc.) and you can't really blame them - touring brings in the big money, while family times makes them happy at their old age and they deserve it. Also agree it doesn't take four year to record a new album, but if you condense all the time they have worked on it we're probably talking about a total of two maybe three weeks give or take. While they may have had a major start on it, they've also had some major setbacks with it. I'm sure the experiment of having Mick release Getta Grip/England Lost (and it's failure to have much success) probably through a wrench in the entire process. Again, they probably had to rethink the direction, second guess the work that's already been done, and for all we know scrap everything that might have been accomplished so far. A fictional analogy here and not that this has ever happened, but as an artist, lets say I have a painting that I started working on four years ago and put it aside unfinished for whatever reason. Chances are I'll probably never get around to going back to it, let alone finish it. The concept might seem outdated, or isn't as relevant as it might originally seemed, and I've probably moved on with other new projects to deal with. And then if you consider I might have had a collaborator, and we disagreed on many of the decisions, banging our heads against a wall in frustration (lol) - chances are even slimmer that old idea will ever come to life!

bitusa2012

No press release, just an assumption based on what georgelicks mentioned here awhile ago. And there might have been mention of it somewhere else (maybe a magazine article?), but not sure. The fact they released a Satanic Majesties Deluxe, you would think they'd want to do the same for the superior Beggars?

Another quality response by a quality Kat. Now I understand what you meant about 'promotion'hindering a release .. meaning it would get in the way ..two products coming out too close together .. Understood and I agree. gonna rest my eyes a bit .. Will see you round this ponderosa soon.

Date: July 18, 2018 11:52

bitusa2012
IanBillen
When you talk about promoting a Beggars Banquet deluxe.

Not SINGLING you out IanB, just yours is the most recent post of many that I have seen talking about a Beggars deluxe...

Georgelicks, who has contacts in Universal, has reported it a few times here.

Posted by: dave9199 ()
Date: July 18, 2018 15:09

Hairball
doitywoik

All these B's and L's and the fact I haven't had dinner yet, makes me think of one thing - a BLT.

She's my little BLT...

Date: July 18, 2018 18:59

IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

Ian Billen

Ian Billen

bitusa2012

Another quality response by a quality Kat. Now I understand what you meant about 'promotion'hindering a release .. meaning it would get in the way ..two products coming out too close together .. Understood and I agree. gonna rest my eyes with some shut eye .. Will see you round this ponderosa soon.

Date: July 18, 2018 19:49

dave9199
Hairball
doitywoik

She's my little BLT...

smiling smiley

Gimme Bacon...Anybody seen my bacon? I know it's only B.L.T. (but I like it)...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 18, 2018 20:03

Rockman
this is the new album cover

...................................................................................................................................................Is This Seat Taken?

this is new album title

Posted by: Elena ()
Date: July 21, 2018 00:22

currently unavailable ... confused smiley

Lien

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 21, 2018 00:35

Elena

currently unavailable ... confused smiley

Release date was 26th October 2018 - maybe it'll be back by then. It's still to find in the Google Cache.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 21, 2018 00:48

The Beggars Banquet '50th' release will be an ABKCO production.
I doubt therefore that Mick or the group will be involved in its release or marketing, somehow.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...178179180181182183184185186187188...LastNext
Current Page: 183 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2085
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home