Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...184185186187188189190191192193194...LastNext
Current Page: 189 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 23, 2018 04:19

yeah i'd vote yes on that one.
i did last year too. only then i was REALLy sure.
what the hell, I'll jump again.
sure, def by Christmas. I'm sure of it!!
i have 'contacts' and it's a bigass SURPRISE.
get ready!!
!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 23, 2018 04:56

diverseharmonics
Hairball
Rocky Dijon
Hairball
Ahhh...wasn't considering those decades old extras/leftover bonus tracks from the Some Girls and Exile Deluxe's. I was thinking actual new tunes recorded in the last decade (and not just newly recorded vocals ala Plundered).

Well, there were no songs called "Pass the Wine" or "Plundered My Soul" when they cut EXILE. 100% new lyrics and melody line and, in the case of the single, a 100% new lead guitar. That seems new to me.

Likewise there was no song called "Don't Be a Stranger" when they cut SOME GIRLS. Again, 100% new lyrics and Clifford's harpsichord was new as well. The other two ("When You're Gone" and "Do You Think?") count as re-cuts. Both songs existed when they did the original album. "When You're Gone" had more work done lyrically, but "Do You Think?" had more musical overdubs. Something like "I Love You Too Much" doesn't strike me as "new" since the lyrical work and vocal overdub were down to a single line (repeated twice). Both projects have 5 or 6 "new" cuts. To me, that's little different from FLASHPOINT, FORTY LICKS, and GRRR where we've become accustomed to getting orphan tracks rather than a wholly new album.

In that case, maybe they should dig back through the vaults for unfinished tracks and add a few final touches to them - maybe some new lyrics, a harpsichord, some overdubs, maybe change a melody line, and maybe even bring back Mick Taylor to add a new solo here and there. If all this can be considered "new", then I'm all for it. There's no harm in going back to find something that's worthy - even if it means going back 40 years or more. I've said in the past they could easily do another Tattoo You style album, piecing it together Frankenstein style, and those 2002 demos that recently surfaced to a majority of us would be a nice place to start as there were quite a few good ones there. A shame that project was aborted and forgotten, and instead they went all A Bigger Bang instead. With all the frustration that has arisen over this supposed new album - fighting over Mick's demo's, etc. - all they have to do is look in the barrel to find some unpolished nuggets that need a bit of sprucing up.
Right . then everyone on this board would moan about how lazy they are and can't be bothered to write and record new relevant music. Great.

Give or take a few very patient and forgiving fans, that already seems to be the general consensus.
It's been over 13 years since they released an album of originals, not sure what the reason is for that, but since they hardly play any original tunes from the last few decades anyways, doesn't seem to matter.
Looking at a majority of the current setlists, the newest original tune they played was from Tattoo You - 37+years ago. Keith played Slipping Away a couple of times, but that's nearing 30 years itself.

Here's the options:

- Another blues covers album - Keith has said he likes the idea and they could complete it within two or three days.
- A Tattoo You style album made up of reworked leftovers (see my post above)
- An album of newly written and recorded material...I'd say don't hold your breath, but there's a chance it will happen some day.
But since some of the demos were written by Mick over three years ago or more, there's the possibility that some of the lyrics might already be irrelevant if they touch on any specific social/political issues.
-There's also a the option of an album of original blues tunes; since the blues is supposedly in their DNA, seems they could crank one of these out in a matter of a month or two, or even less.
They've recorded plenty of great original blues tunes in the past, so maybe now would be a good time to revisit that genre with their own words and music vs. taking the easy route by recording covers.

All that said, I think Gaetzi has the right attitude when he says:

Gaetzi
The Stones catalog is 2nd to none, that legacy has long been set in stone. Any new studio stuff is totally irrelevant to me at this point. I'm just hoping for more shows.

Waiting for the North American tour announcement. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 04:59 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 23, 2018 05:09

Hairball
diverseharmonics
Hairball
Rocky Dijon
Hairball
Ahhh...wasn't considering those decades old extras/leftover bonus tracks from the Some Girls and Exile Deluxe's. I was thinking actual new tunes recorded in the last decade (and not just newly recorded vocals ala Plundered).

Well, there were no songs called "Pass the Wine" or "Plundered My Soul" when they cut EXILE. 100% new lyrics and melody line and, in the case of the single, a 100% new lead guitar. That seems new to me.

Likewise there was no song called "Don't Be a Stranger" when they cut SOME GIRLS. Again, 100% new lyrics and Clifford's harpsichord was new as well. The other two ("When You're Gone" and "Do You Think?") count as re-cuts. Both songs existed when they did the original album. "When You're Gone" had more work done lyrically, but "Do You Think?" had more musical overdubs. Something like "I Love You Too Much" doesn't strike me as "new" since the lyrical work and vocal overdub were down to a single line (repeated twice). Both projects have 5 or 6 "new" cuts. To me, that's little different from FLASHPOINT, FORTY LICKS, and GRRR where we've become accustomed to getting orphan tracks rather than a wholly new album.

In that case, maybe they should dig back through the vaults for unfinished tracks and add a few final touches to them - maybe some new lyrics, a harpsichord, some overdubs, maybe change a melody line, and maybe even bring back Mick Taylor to add a new solo here and there. If all this can be considered "new", then I'm all for it. There's no harm in going back to find something that's worthy - even if it means going back 40 years or more. I've said in the past they could easily do another Tattoo You style album, piecing it together Frankenstein style, and those 2002 demos that recently surfaced to a majority of us would be a nice place to start as there were quite a few good ones there. A shame that project was aborted and forgotten, and instead they went all A Bigger Bang instead. With all the frustration that has arisen over this supposed new album - fighting over Mick's demo's, etc. - all they have to do is look in the barrel to find some unpolished nuggets that need a bit of sprucing up.
Right . then everyone on this board would moan about how lazy they are and can't be bothered to write and record new relevant music. Great.

Give or take a few very patient and forgiving fans, that already seems to be the general consensus.
It's been over 13 years since they released an album of originals, not sure what the reason is for that, but since they hardly play any original tunes from the last few decades anyways, doesn't seem to matter.
Looking at a majority of the current setlists, the newest original tune they played was from Tattoo You - 37+years ago. Keith played Slipping Away a couple of times, but that's nearing 30 years itself.

Here's the options:

- Another blues covers album - Keith has said he likes the idea and they could complete it within two or three days.
- A Tattoo You style album made up of reworked leftovers (see my post above)
- An album of newly written and recorded material...I'd say don't hold your breath, but there's a chance it will happen some day.
But since some of the demos were written by Mick over three years ago or more, there's the possibility that some of the lyrics might already be irrelevant if they touch on any specific social/political issues.
-There's also a the option of an album of original blues tunes; since the blues is supposedly in their DNA, seems they could crank one of these out in a matter of a month or two, or even less.
They've recorded plenty of great original blues tunes in the past, so maybe now would be a good time to revisit that genre with their own words and music vs. taking the easy route by recording covers.

All that said, I think Gaetzi has the right attitude when he says:

Gaetzi
The Stones catalog is 2nd to none, that legacy has long been set in stone. Any new studio stuff is totally irrelevant to me at this point. I'm just hoping for more shows.

Waiting for the North American tour announcement. thumbs up

I have been waiting for you to weigh in on this again. Nothing is happening group wise but I have a feeling Mick has been writing .. by his Instagram posts (he claims he always writes anyhow). My feeling (and by Georgelicks statements) is Keith and Mick and the rest of the Stones will reconvene in the fall to work on the album again. However The tour of the States is not until next year.. No activity concerning it and no tour announcement will come at any time soon for it .. Not for a long time (I hope you were joshing).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 05:11 by IanBillen.

Date: August 23, 2018 05:55

Not sure that instagram post had anything to do with writing or a new album - could have been he was just fiddling around on the guitar with some new effects pedals he acquired.

Mick - "Sunday afternoon jam"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 23, 2018 06:20

[www.instagram.com]

Keith signing autographs in Manhattan: [www.instagram.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 06:23 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 23, 2018 07:19

Well well the boys are out and about that’s great news smileys with beer

Okay, for you guys, I went searching for Chuck Leavell’s 4 minute audio only clip to double check/ provide a receipt for what he said, because I did listen to it about 3 months ago but I couldn’t find it, and I landed on his web page, and was a little bowled over by his ‘Mick Jagger’ declarations/ explanations/ unusual not normally noted career highlights. Did he really author all those words?
don’t trouble yourselves to look because it says in every paragraph:
‘I don’t know. He’s funny as heck, but keeps to himself. Extremely private to me.’
LOL
ETA: maybe Chuck is just sick of being asked about Mick, and can now direct people to his web page for explanation he he

anyway, Chuck-ee boy (and I’m not being negative at all honestly his resume is dazzling I tell you, plus the trees)
He said: if you pin me down, new album Spring 2019
And, he said he types up the setlists for Mick.
Cuz he’s admin brilliant like that. And Mick says please and pays well.
Ha ha
Spring 2019 or before
Final offer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 07:20 by 35love.

Date: August 23, 2018 07:24

Hairball
Not sure that instagram post had anything to do with writing or a new album - could have been he was just fiddling around on the guitar with some new effects pedals he acquired.

Well Mick also posted 'Back at it' .. as a caption (sure..that could mean a lot of things .. but I think it meant more to back to working on some type of material).

Keith is now at Germano .. (via his Instagram). We have saw this cycle before for working on this album. They write a bit solo .. Mick at his house and Keith at Germano in NYC and then they get together not too long after to write together. Then the group gets into the studio as a whole at some point well after. One may say I am just jumping to conclusions or assuming .. or even being overly optimistic but that cycle has in fact occurred at least once or twice for this record. I seriously doubt Keith is working on another solo .. Neither is Mick.

Seems something may be brewing 'studio wise'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 07:27 by IanBillen.

Date: August 23, 2018 07:30

Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Keith signing autographs in Manhattan: [www.instagram.com]

Thanks Cristiano - nice pic of Keith, but something looks peculiar with his eyes - maybe the fact he's not wearing any eye liner or whatever he usually does.

Also that autograph clip - the guy getting Keith's signature on the pick guard..."You gotta keep me in business"...haha at least he's honest. It's probably already up on ebay.

Date: August 23, 2018 07:35

35love
Well well the boys are out and about that’s great news smileys with beer

Okay, for you guys, I went searching for Chuck Leavell’s 4 minute audio only clip to double check/ provide a receipt for what he said, because I did listen to it about 3 months ago but I couldn’t find it, and I landed on his web page, and was a little bowled over by his ‘Mick Jagger’ declarations/ explanations/ unusual not normally noted career highlights. Did he really author all those words?
don’t trouble yourselves to look because it says in every paragraph:
‘I don’t know. He’s funny as heck, but keeps to himself. Extremely private to me.’
LOL
ETA: maybe Chuck is just sick of being asked about Mick, and can now direct people to his web page for explanation he he

anyway, Chuck-ee boy (and I’m not being negative at all honestly his resume is dazzling I tell you, plus the trees)
He said: if you pin me down, new album Spring 2019
And, he said he types up the setlists for Mick.
Cuz he’s admin brilliant like that. And Mick says please and pays well.
Ha ha
Spring 2019 or before
Final offer.

Chuck also said he has recorded / been in the studio on this album and in this same interview he described the material as 'interesting' .. (meaning not standard or unique is how he said it).

He also said that he has 'no doubt' that an album is coming .. but that they were still a long way off. He said there is still plenty of work to do. He spoke as if it's certainly underway / started and one is certainly to come but he also made it a point to get across that the album still needs plenty of work and is far from being finished was his tone.

Ian

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 23, 2018 11:28

As per Instagram / Facebook there will be a new single release:
One Mick rock song and one Keith acoustic ballad. I guess Keith will be on the flip side.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 23, 2018 11:41

Ultimately, in the history of Rolling Stones fandom, the album that will be the most talked about, for years and years, is the one that never happened.

Call this one... Exile on No Street.

Re: Jagger instagram today
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 23, 2018 13:27

georgelicks
Maindefender
georgelicks
gotdablouse
Mick recording his 65th demo since 2005 for a song that the world will never hear ;-)

It really has to be frustrating for him to be sitting on all these songs...

You're not far from the truth actually, I still don't know why he didn't release a solo album or two during the last decade, hell he can release a triple album by now with all those songs.

Obviously George there's absolutely nothing new in regards to an album of new material. Not even for 2019?...eye rolling smiley

No for this year, but the chances are very good for 2019.

I’ll be naive and take this as good news....winking smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 23, 2018 13:58

35love
Okay, for you guys, I went searching for Chuck Leavell’s 4 minute audio only clip to double check/ provide a receipt for what he said, because I did listen to it about 3 months ago but I couldn’t find it

Chuck Leavell interview - The Friday Revue, 6/29 > [iorr.org]

Date: August 23, 2018 14:00

mtaylor
One Mick rock song and one Keith acoustic ballad. I guess Keith will be on the flip side.

As per who's Instagram? Link?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 23, 2018 14:13

mtaylor

...link?!!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 23, 2018 14:15

mtaylor

Do you have some evidence for this interesting claim?

Date: August 23, 2018 14:25

bye bye johnny
mtaylor

He's just joking, based on the small clips/pics that Mick and Keith have posted from the studio earlier.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 23, 2018 14:28

Ah, maybe this is why we saw the video of Mick rocking with the electric guitar, and the picture of Keef with an acoustic. Hmm?

Date: August 23, 2018 15:40

DandelionPowderman
bye bye johnny
mtaylor

He's just joking, based on the small clips/pics that Mick and Keith have posted from the studio earlier.

Maybe. What say you, mtaylor?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 23, 2018 20:48

bye bye johnny
35love
Okay, for you guys, I went searching for Chuck Leavell’s 4 minute audio only clip to double check/ provide a receipt for what he said, because I did listen to it about 3 months ago but I couldn’t find it

Chuck Leavell interview - The Friday Revue, 6/29 > [iorr.org]

Thank you. Of course I didn't search here when I was looking.

I am glad the band is still showing up for us. They do not have to. They could easily pay back Universal the $2mil or whatev sum for new material promised.

In a time when the news seems unbearable to follow,
there’s still the sun, the moon, and hopefully, some new tunes.

Date: August 23, 2018 20:52

bye bye johnny
DandelionPowderman
bye bye johnny
mtaylor

Maybe. What say you, mtaylor?
Absolutely. They are working on it. Soon we will have a new single like D&G and OMS

Date: August 23, 2018 22:03

So is that conclusion based on Mick and Keith's recent postings or Instagram/Facebook other than theirs?

Date: August 23, 2018 23:07

bye bye johnny
So is that conclusion based on Mick and Keith's recent postings or Instagram/Facebook other than theirs?

I guess when Mick Jagger says "Back on it" while sitting on a chair playing guitar, it is not "back on it" sitting on a chair but "back on it" playing music, composing and eventually publishing an album or a just a few songs.

They have not signed a contract just for the fun of it. They or he will publish music - if it is two songs, five songs or a full album god only knows. But, certainly new music.... either by himself like earlier this year or as Stones.

Date: August 23, 2018 23:20

"One Mick rock song and one Keith acoustic ballad." single was purely speculative. Got it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 23:21 by bye bye johnny.

Date: August 23, 2018 23:51

mtaylor
bye bye johnny

I guess when Mick Jagger says "Back on it" while sitting on a chair playing guitar, it is not "back on it" sitting on a chair but "back on it" playing music, composing and eventually publishing an album or a just a few songs.

They have not signed a contract just for the fun of it. They or he will publish music - if it is two songs, five songs or a full album god only knows. But, certainly new music.... either by himself like earlier this year or as Stones.

He he, they have told us numerous times that they're working on an album. The single is fantasy - pure speculation on your part smiling smiley

People thought they missed out on big news here...

Date: August 24, 2018 01:10

Hairball

Greetings Sa! Mick also noted 'Back at it' .. Time Is On My Side Website noted Mick is currently writing and composing material at his house (it is a reliable source).

All of this may be speculation .. but the fact that Jagger and Richards posted images back to back with guitars ... and take into consideration that the two have taken this very route before with this project (Mick at this house ? Keith at Germano Studios .. and then they met together) .. is fairly telling.

They are purposefully getting us to read between the lines .. Studio work on said album is afoot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-24 01:12 by IanBillen.

Date: August 24, 2018 02:39

Essentially a rewrite of yesterday's post about "said album"...

[iorr.org]

Date: August 24, 2018 03:41

Lol...was wondering what that post was all about from Ian...deja vu all over again. smiling smiley
I know we've rehashed and revisited various conversations throughout this thread, but not back to back and just one day apart!

For the record Ian, the site is called Time is on OUR Side (not My Side), and I'm quite familiar with it thank you.

Here's the breaking news: "August 19, 2018: Mick Jagger records/composes at home"...can't get much vaguer than that, but I suppose it sounds better than "Mick fiddling around with new effects pedals".

Here's some more vague info to ponder posted above by mtaylor :

"They or he will publish music - if it is two songs, five songs or a full album god only knows. But, certainly new music.... either by himself like earlier this year or as Stones".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-24 03:44 by Hairball.

Date: August 24, 2018 03:55

Don't bet against somebody citing that info - paraphrased, never linked - as a "credible source" a few pages down the road...; )

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 24, 2018 07:43

And let's not forget that "mtaylor" had no qualms starting a ridiculous "scare" before Zurich 2014 when he claimed he'd seen Mick Taylor in London in the afternoon and that he therefore wouldn't be appearing in Zurich that evening. A practical joker, at best!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...184185186187188189190191192193194...LastNext
Current Page: 189 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home