Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 14
Re: ALBUM TALK: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 27, 2017 15:17

Bashlets
Individually the songs are okay. There is a problem with the sequencing as I believe Keith even mentioned in a Rolling Stone interview when CH came out and we all seem to have greatly different opinions on what is good and what is trash on this one for some reason.

Agreedon the fact we all have different takes on what the true dogs are on the album. For me the only dog really is NeoCon and that is almosy exclusively down to the lyrics. Infamy would be another but in the sense that while it's a nice groove, it simply feels unfinished; an idea half formed and nit much of a song. Streets of Love is the big divider; a very Joviesque/Aerosmithy power ballads, no doubt about it, but the wonderful chorus hook ("I-I-I-I") elevates it above those. Not up there with Stones ballad greats but I have to say, and echo what many have said before, live it showed it's strength.

Driving too Fast would be the fourth I don't take to as much simply as it feels predictable, more Stones-by-numbers. Doesn't have that spark even though the instrumentation is fine while it's playing.

For me some of the others are up there with the top tier, particulary 'Laugh', 'Dangerous Beauty' and 'It Won't Take Long'. Fabulous songs. Overall, a very strong 11 or 12 track album with some being excellent. For a band then 42 years into it that is quite amazing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 27, 2017 18:26

IrelandCalling4
Streets of Love is the big divider; a very Joviesque/Aerosmithy power ballads, no doubt about it, but the wonderful chorus hook ("I-I-I-I") elevates it above those. Not up there with Stones ballad greats but I have to say, and echo what many have said before, live it showed it's strength.

I've heard live versions of it and it's awful. Awful bad. Badly awful. Shining a turd.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 27, 2017 19:11

GasLightStreet
IrelandCalling4
Streets of Love is the big divider; a very Joviesque/Aerosmithy power ballads, no doubt about it, but the wonderful chorus hook ("I-I-I-I") elevates it above those. Not up there with Stones ballad greats but I have to say, and echo what many have said before, live it showed it's strength.

I've heard live versions of it and it's awful. Awful bad. Badly awful. Shining a turd.

Seriously it's bad,bad, bad...awfully bad. Mick meets Bon Jovi - they had a baby and named it SOL.
Seeing it live was embarrassing, but now I know what it must feel like to be at a Celine Dion concert holding a lighter in the air.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 27, 2017 21:31

IrelandCalling4
... Streets of Love is the big divider; a very Joviesque/Aerosmithy power ballads, no doubt about it ...

Yeah, even I hated when Aerosmith became power ballad happy, but even as awful as some of the Aerosmith ballads are (like Cryin' or Amazing), they are far better songs than SOL, not sure how you can compare that.

As for Bon Jovi, I can't comment as I've never really listened to him/them.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 27, 2017 23:08

I say...

Rough Justice --- 8.5/10
Let Me Down Slow --- 7/10
It Won't Take Long --- 8/10
Rain Fall Down --- 7.5/10
Streets Of Love --- 6.5/10 (but 8/10 live!)
Back Of My Hand --- 7.5/10
She Saw Me Coming --- 6.5/10
Biggest Mistake --- 6/10
This Place Is Empty --- 9.5/10
Oh No, Not You Again --- 10/10
Dangerous Beauty --- 8/10
Laugh, I Nearly Died --- 7/10
Sweet Neo Con --- 8/10
Look What The Cat Dragged In --- 8.5/10
Driving Too Fast --- 9/10
Infamy --- 5/10

Under The Radar --- 9/10
We Don't Wanna Go Home --- 6/10

As you see, I really like the album.

Date: December 28, 2017 18:49

LeonidP
IrelandCalling4
... Streets of Love is the big divider; a very Joviesque/Aerosmithy power ballads, no doubt about it ...

Yeah, even I hated when Aerosmith became power ballad happy, but even as awful as some of the Aerosmith ballads are (like Cryin' or Amazing), they are far better songs than SOL, not sure how you can compare that.

I get the comparison. Think of the chorus of SOL: And I yi yi yiahhhh eyahh ahhhh blah blah blah. The chorus to Crazy/Amazing/Crying (all the same song) I was cryyyyyyyyyyyin/I go crayyyyyyyyyzayyyy/It's amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing

Bon Jovi is similar. It's very sappy shit. THAT is the comparison - and it's spot on.

Date: December 28, 2017 19:17

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
IrelandCalling4

I get the comparison. Think of the chorus of SOL: And I yi yi yiahhhh eyahh ahhhh blah blah blah. The chorus to Crazy/Amazing/Crying (all the same song) I was cryyyyyyyyyyyin/I go crayyyyyyyyyzayyyy/It's amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing

Bon Jovi is similar. It's very sappy shit. THAT is the comparison - and it's spot on.

I dont see it like that. SOL is not very good, but it is still their very own f*ck-up. It's just the Stones coming up with a lousy ballad as a single.
A'smith and Jovi is a 'shift-in-policy'; it's a business trend that has taken a new direction.
I still wish they (the Stones) had shown more balls re. SOL and ABB, and taken those songs on the road, and given them the treatment. SOL sounded way better on stage, those few times they played it.

Date: December 28, 2017 19:32

Palace Revolution 2000
I still wish they (the Stones) had shown more balls re. SOL and ABB, and taken those songs on the road, and given them the treatment. SOL sounded way better on stage, those few times they played it.

They really did fail with that tour. They failed to represent the album. Possibly the weirdest thing I've heard is any live version of Rough Justice - how can they not play it as good as the record?

They could've easily played She Saw Me Coming, Let Me Down Slow, Biggest Mistake, Dangerous Beauty. Those would've worked live fantastically. They should've been playing those songs every show instead of the crap they did with SOL and ONNYA and Rain Fall Down.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 28, 2017 20:07

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
IrelandCalling4

No, the comparison was in song structure/music that I meant, the Aerosmith tunes are far superior to SOL, and yet once a band falls into that format for all singles like Aerosmith (they also had Crazy, Blind Man, Jaded, probably a few more), they are lost forever, stuck in the same loop/cornfield maze w/ no way out.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 29, 2017 20:27

GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

They really did fail with that tour. They failed to represent the album. Possibly the weirdest thing I've heard is any live version of Rough Justice - how can they not play it as good as the record?

They could've easily played She Saw Me Coming, Let Me Down Slow, Biggest Mistake, Dangerous Beauty. Those would've worked live fantastically. They should've been playing those songs every show instead of the crap they did with SOL and ONNYA and Rain Fall Down.

They are AFRAID to take chances. Have been for years

A Bigger Bang - Be Honest
Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: April 5, 2018 14:30

You were probably really excited in 2005. You probably ripped the wrapper off when you got the album. But how many times have you listened to it since 2005?

And, again being honest, is this not the fate of any new Stones album that we get this year or next?

You know in your hearts that within a week of release this forum will be full of distaste for the previously much anticipated album

So, what's the point?

There's no value in listening to the Stones singing as if they were still 30. Maybe they should sing about issues faced by people in their mid 70s? But who wants to listen to songs about adult diapers, Saga Holidays, free bus passes and daytime TV?

Perhaps another album of blues covers is the only way now.

Re: A Bigger Bang - Be Honest
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 5, 2018 14:36

Fine album.
Of all the post-Tattoo You albums, I like this one the most (though I genuinly dislike some of the songs on it).
I play it quite regularly, actually.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 5, 2018 14:37

Sorry kev .... But don't wanna go to the circus with ya ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: April 5, 2018 14:39

Do Love it, really ! OFTEN LISTEN "A BIGGER BANG" !

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 5, 2018 14:40

I go back to it quite frequently.

I've never liked the "brick wall" production very much but it's not a bad album by any means on the whole

[ A bit of a "curates egg" perhaps]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 5, 2018 14:44

honestly....don't know where it is.

Date: April 5, 2018 14:47

eeeerrrr lose a bit off ya girth then find yaself a Playboy magazine

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 5, 2018 14:48

14 times. And not since 2006.

Date: April 5, 2018 14:49

Rockman
eeeerrrr lose a bit off ya girth then find yaself a Playboy magazine

Thought you weren't coming to the circus spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: April 5, 2018 14:50

my life is a friggin circus ... HHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 5, 2018 14:51

KevinLocksPerm
You were probably really excited in 2005. You probably ripped the wrapper off when you got the album. But how many times have you listened to it since 2005?

And, again being honest, is this not the fate of any new Stones album that we get this year or next?

You know in your hearts that within a week of release this forum will be full of distaste for the previously much anticipated album

So, what's the point?

There's no value in listening to the Stones singing as if they were still 30. Maybe they should sing about issues faced by people in their mid 70s? But who wants to listen to songs about adult diapers, Saga Holidays, free bus passes and daytime TV?

Perhaps another album of blues covers is the only way now.

Maybe they should recut "Father's Little Helper"?

Date: April 5, 2018 14:53

Rockman
my life is a friggin circus ... HHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You and me too!! Don't let the clowns get you down.

Date: April 5, 2018 14:55

.... no I prefer watching the trapeze gals do tricks .. ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 5, 2018 14:59

This record is something of a mystery to me. I want to love it but don't, also can't say I don't like it. Things like brickwalling and over production turn me off, also it's too long for me. I would prefer 10 great songs. By the way I haven't played it since 2008. I'm a bad fan, haha. Still I believe they have a good album in them. Blue and Lonesome proves this theory.

Date: April 5, 2018 15:06

frankotero
This record is something of a mystery to me. I want to love it but don't, also can't say I don't like it. Things like brickwalling and over production turn me off, also it's too long for me. I would prefer 10 great songs. By the way I haven't played it since 2008. I'm a bad fan, haha. Still I believe they have a good album in them. Blue and Lonesome proves this theory.

IMHO A Bigger Bang is much better than Blue & Lonesome. Not all songs sound the same there. But I haven't heard it for years as well.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 5, 2018 15:10

frankotero
Things like brickwalling and over production turn me off, also it's too long for me.

More or less same here. It's not a bad album but the production is horrible and a few songs could have been left off.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 5, 2018 15:24

There's nothing great on it and most of it is either nothing special or crap.

It's sad to think that this might be their last album of original songs.

Date: April 5, 2018 15:37

Harlem Shuffler
There's nothing great on it and most of it is either nothing special or crap.

It's sad to think that this might be their last album of original songs.

It's a half-baked album (compared with the classics) with some "outtakes" which had never been released in the LP-era. But I'm pretty sure the next album won't be better. They are not able to record classics anymore (exceptions like Laugh I Nearly Died are seldom), they're soon 71-77 years old. They don't need good new songs for the concerts because they wouldn't play them anyway (except if they are bad enough like One More Shot). What do you expect?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-05 15:40 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 5, 2018 15:38

I'm listening a lot to the from the vault things.
I don't pick up ABB any more often than say BB.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 5, 2018 15:43

Funny.. I liked it then and still
listen to it a lot now.

I love the Stones since 1972
so i had a lot to listen too..haha.

I like it a lot..Yes I do!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home