Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 14
Re: My fav songs off a Bigger Bang
Date: April 6, 2017 12:15

matxil
DandelionPowderman
I've actually learned to appreaciate Losing My Touch a lot more in recent years.

I used to think it was boring, but there are some subtle touches there that are really beautiful, imo. It has grown on me.

Infamy is a totally different type of song. More like a slower Shattered. I liked it at first, but quickly lost interest..

One good thing about this forum, it makes me occasionally re-listen to songs. I'll give Losing My Touch another try today.

While you're at it, check out the rehearsal video of Losing My Touch. It's slightly different, and imo better.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 6, 2017 12:25

I did not buy FORTY LICKS.I did not then accept to pay for forty songs in order to obtain four songs. As a consequence, I have not got that album's four new songs.

I listen mainly to vinyl records.

I want to ask: Are the mentionned four songs available on vinyl today? (I have listened to those songs only once and even in another person's company.)

Edit: Forty without a "u".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 12:28 by Witness.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 6, 2017 12:45

matxil
DandelionPowderman
I've actually learned to appreaciate Losing My Touch a lot more in recent years.

I used to think it was boring, but there are some subtle touches there that are really beautiful, imo. It has grown on me.

Infamy is a totally different type of song. More like a slower Shattered. I liked it at first, but quickly lost interest..

One good thing about this forum, it makes me occasionally re-listen to songs. I'll give Losing My Touch another try today.

It's a good song...to sleep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 12:46 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 6, 2017 12:49

Bigger Bang has a bad rep here and was badly exploited during the Bang tour and following, but is a very good record. At least, I find it so. Place is empty is the best of the lot, but I hardly skip a song. That is including Streets!

Less interesting probably are Dangerous Beauty and Coming.

C

Date: April 6, 2017 12:59

I just want to write it because I don't think it has been mentioned on either side of the coin yet: Driving Too Fast.
With "Streets of Love" they did what they are still so good at: they took it to the live stage, and showed us how it really goes.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 6, 2017 13:46

It's strange that Let Me Down Slow is so much loved by now. In earlier threads it was called one of the worst songs on ABB by many contributors.

Date: April 6, 2017 13:51

Monsoon Ragoon
It's strange that Let Me Down Slow is so much loved by now. In earlier threads it was called one of the worst songs on ABB by many contributors.

A quick look at the Album Talk says that it's pretty highly regarded: [iorr.org]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 6, 2017 13:52

I always liked Driving Too Fast a lot.

Streets Of Love is junk. Rock-ballad-by-numbers, every cliche included.
One of the worst Stones-songs ever. Would rather listen to any Styx- REO-Speedwagon- Boston- ballad than Streets Of Love and I really don´t like those bands... I would even rather listen to Winds Of Change 10 times in a row than Streets Of Love and God knows I hate Winds of Change...

Losing My Touch is one of Keith´s best!

Date: April 6, 2017 14:03

For me Let Me Down Slow as well as Biggest Mistake kind of spoils the "rocking" approach of ABB. In sound and style LMDS & BM remind me very much of three new songs on Forty Flicks and Old Habits Die Hard. All mellow sounding songs. Let Me Down Slow is a decent song but it´s on the wrong album, imo.

Date: April 6, 2017 14:05

HMS
For me Let Me Down Slow as well as Biggest Mistake kind of spoils the "rocking" approach of ABB. In sound and style LMDS & BM remind me very much of three new songs on Forty Flicks and Old Habits Die Hard. All mellow sounding songs. Let Me Down Slow is a decent song but it´s on the wrong album, imo.

It's good that it has grown from subpar to decent smiling smiley

Date: April 6, 2017 14:09

Some time ago I experienced that it´s decent as a "stand-alone"-song, but subpar in the rough & edgy ABB-context.

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: April 6, 2017 14:11

I like Rough Justice, I can tolerate It Wont Take Long, Infamy, This Place Is Empty and Back Of My Hand
The rest sounds like lesser cuts on a below average Jagger solo album...

Re: ALBUM TALK: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 7, 2017 02:55

Great cd

Date: April 7, 2017 09:29

In another thread I wrote, what is largely still my view:

Tentatively, track for track, an evaluation that is not necessarily my final one:

"Rough Justice" ==> good
"Let Me Down Slow" ==> very good, almost great
"It Won't Take Long" ==> only OK
"Rain Fall Down" ==> very good ("quasi-psychedelic soul" )
"Streets of Love" ==> song better than this not so good version, shown live
"Back of My Hand" ==> good, but not overwhelming
"She Saw Me Coming" ==> only OK and "Stones-by-numbers"
"Biggest Mistake" ==> the third highlight of the album
"This Place Is Empty" ==> not up to good, but quite good
"Oh No, Not You Again"==> good
"Dangerous Beauty" ==> good and an important statement
"Laugh, I Nearly Died"==> for me the fourth highlight of the album
"Sweet Neo Con" ==> more interesting than better songs, adequately harsh
"Look What the Cat Dragged In" ==> good
"Driving Too Fast" ==> "Stones-by-numbers"
"Infamy" ==> more or less, an adequate minimalistic track

Edit: Language error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-07 11:46 by Witness.

Date: April 7, 2017 10:20

I would call Rain Fall Down classic funk, not soul. But there's a fine line there (if you call some of the 70s funk for soul, that is).

Date: April 7, 2017 10:51

I am not sure about where the dividing lines between soul and funk may be said to go. For me it was primarily Sly And the Family Stone that in its time presented funk, giving one approach to what funk is or may be. (I have not listened to that lately.)

Date: April 7, 2017 10:55

Witness
I am not sure about where the dividing lines between soul and funk may be said to go. For me it was primarily Sly And the Family Stone that in its time presented funk, giving one approach to what funk is or may be. (I have not listened to that lately.)

The thing is that many of the 1960s great soul artists continued their careers in the 70s and adopted the funk sound - hence the lines became a little blurrier for some.

However, the beat is different in funk music.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 7, 2017 11:35

"Rough Justice" ==> Good
"Let Me Down Slow" ==> OK
"It Won't Take Long" ==> Filler
"Rain Fall Down" ==> Good, a bit too polished
"Streets of Love" ==> Not as bad as everybody says. It's sort of ok but not the sort of song I care for much. Like Out Of Tears from VL.
"Back of My Hand" ==> Ok, predictable
"She Saw Me Coming" ==> Not good, could be better with some work
"Biggest Mistake" ==> Unconvincing, pop-country like Mick's solo work
"This Place Is Empty" ==> Not good.
"Oh No, Not You Again"==> OK. Silly but fun.
"Dangerous Beauty" ==> Bad.
"Laugh, I Nearly Died"==> Excellent. Great song, good guitars and good singing. The best of the album.
"Sweet Neo Con" ==> Very bad. I am sort of getting what they are aiming for, and there are bits and pieces that are "interesting", but overall it's extremely terrible.
"Look What the Cat Dragged In" ==> Not very good, although the guitars are kind of cool.
"Driving Too Fast" ==> Okayish but rather tame filler.
"Infamy" ==> cool riff but terrible lyrics and bad singing.

Overall: a mediocre album, with some nice ideas, some nice guitar riffs but they didn't work hard enough to turn them into real songs. Highlights are "Laugh I Nearly Died" and maybe "Rain Fall Down". "Oh No" is kind of fun

Date: April 7, 2017 12:11

Okay, I'll take the bait..

"Rough Justice" ==> Very good
"Let Me Down Slow" ==> Very good
"It Won't Take Long" ==> Average
"Rain Fall Down" ==> Average
"Streets of Love" ==> Awful
"Back of My Hand" ==> Great
"She Saw Me Coming" ==> Very Good
"Biggest Mistake" ==> Very Good
"This Place Is Empty" ==> Great
"Oh No, Not You Again"==> Awful
"Dangerous Beauty" ==> Very good
"Laugh, I Nearly Died"==> Good
"Sweet Neo Con" ==> Good
"Look What the Cat Dragged In" ==> Excellent playing, too much lifted from that INXS-tune
"Driving Too Fast" ==> Average
"Infamy" ==> Passable

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 7, 2017 12:31

"the" weakest album

only two good numbers: Rough Justice, Back of My Hand

and one great: Oh No, Not You Again

ABB was totally unnecessary to publish, an EP would have been more than enough.
Of course I know this was only for their mammoth 2005-2007 tour.
I never listen to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-07 13:57 by 1962.

Date: April 7, 2017 12:46

DandelionPowderman
Witness

The thing is that many of the 1960s great soul artists continued their careers in the 70s and adopted the funk sound - hence the lines became a little blurrier for some.

However, the beat is different in funk music.

Well, I was never so delighted by James Brown and have only got one live record, "Live at the Apollo" (1963). Stevie Wonder, by whom I have got a triple (or quadruple) compilation, has never moved me, outside a couple of '60s singles. Neither do I specially like those two "arty" albums by Marvin Gaye, one of which "What's Going On". If those are examples of what you state about soul artists adopting funk, I will not really know them. Temptations, better, still never were no favourites of mine (one compilation). I am not aware of other soul artists "moving on".

For me personally, out of albums that I have, there is more a break than a transition from soul to funk. Apart from Sly And the Family Stone, I have only got very few Parliament/ Funkadelic /George Clinton albums.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 7, 2017 13:55

Rough Justice is a great song: hilarious lyrics,hammered backbeat, open G riffing, slide guitar on fire: what not to like about it? Branded rolling stones' rocker.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 7, 2017 14:01

Quite sure funk didn't come out of the blue, but I see a clear line of separation between a pre-funk world and a post-funk world, and that line is Mr Dynamite! THE one!!!

Bobby: What you gonna play now?
JB: I don't know but what's it ever I play Its got to be funky!
Bobby: yeah
One-two-three - Make it funky

C

Date: April 8, 2017 13:18

Rough Justice is a selfparody.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 8, 2017 14:58

Another good album. Under the Radar should have replaced Streets Of Love. I can't warm up to it I just don't like that song it sounds like a Jagger solo effort. He sings well on it but its not my cup of tea.

Date: April 8, 2017 15:16

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

A quick look at the Album Talk says that it's pretty highly regarded: [iorr.org]

Nah, some loved it, the others hated it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-08 15:31 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: April 8, 2017 16:23

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

"The others" are clearly the minority, though.

Date: April 8, 2017 16:24

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

"The others" are clearly the minority, though.

I haven't counted the pros and contras

Date: April 8, 2017 17:01

Monsoon Ragoon

I never noticed that.
In fact it´s great and a fantastic album-opener.
One of their best post-´86-songs, imo.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 8, 2017 17:14

HMS
Monsoon Ragoon

I never noticed that.

Which part of "now I am just one of your cocks" did you not understand?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2141
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home