Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14
Re: ALBUM TALK: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 5, 2018 19:36

I think every album from Steel Wheels on is too long. As such, I find A Bigger Bang to be a rather enjoyable album, I play it probably more often than any of the late 60s & early 70s ones (but that's for another reason, somehow I dont play highlights that often because theyre too special, sort of).
Coming from Bridges To Babylon (a most deplorable album), A Bigger Bang is a vast improvement in my opinion. From what I read here people experience the album differently, I mean, how can this album be 'overproduced' and 'too raw' at the same time? Personally I thought that the scaled down 'Vegas style' backing vocals and ensemble was a bit of a relief and a slight return to the 5 piece band sound of yore. That, and a good 40 minutes of good songs make it the best of the latter day Stones (original) albums for me.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 5, 2018 19:39

laertisflash
I say...

Rough Justice --- 8.5/10
Let Me Down Slow --- 7/10
It Won't Take Long --- 8/10
Rain Fall Down --- 7.5/10
Streets Of Love --- 6.5/10 (but 8/10 live!)
Back Of My Hand --- 7.5/10
She Saw Me Coming --- 6.5/10
Biggest Mistake --- 6/10
This Place Is Empty --- 9.5/10
Oh No, Not You Again --- 10/10
Dangerous Beauty --- 8/10
Laugh, I Nearly Died --- 7/10
Sweet Neo Con --- 8/10
Look What The Cat Dragged In --- 8.5/10
Driving Too Fast --- 9/10
Infamy --- 5/10

Under The Radar --- 9/10
We Don't Wanna Go Home --- 6/10

As you see, I really like the album.

Nearly the same here...
If people on this site don´t like it...why
should they ever record own material again?

Re: A Bigger Bang - Be Honest
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 5, 2018 19:45

Monsoon Ragoon
kowalski
Monsoon Ragoon
kowalski
Monsoon Ragoon
kowalski
A Bigger Bang is too long, has too many fillers, no really stand out tracks and a so so sound but it's the Stones back to the basics, doing what they're doing best : playing straightforward rock 'n roll, with no fancy arrangements, loops or samples. Also add to it the 2 bonus tracks (under the radar & don't wanna go home) and you get a quite alright 18-track album from a band that at that time had not released a full album for 8 years (since Bridges...). Don't focus on the songs, focus on the band, that's what counts on ABB.

? What a nonsense

Maybe you are the non sense? I don't think I expressed anything different from what most people are saying here : a rather enjoyable album, well played but with no stand out songs and a very raw production that doesn't make things easier...

Come on. Wasn't meant so harshly. You say ABB is too long, but that they should have added the two "DVD" songs. Isn't that strange?

OK, now I see what you mean... Harshness on my part was indeed unnecessary smiling smiley It's too long but when you add the 2 bonus songs it makes a different album. I listened a lot to this 18-track album and enjoyed it a lot... Maybe because it reminded me of another 18 songs long album...

So you think it's too long but you nevertheless enjoy every minute. Then it's obviously not their worst album ;-) To be honest, I have listened to the other 18 track album a lot more often since 2006.

Well I like the guitars and the drums on it. The steady bass background is not bad. The singer is more barking than singing and maybe that's what make the album fatiguing on the long run. But at the end it's just a Stones album and I'm glad we have it.
To be more precise I'd say that until "Laugh I nearly died", it's quite good. Then it starts to be repetitive with 3 tracks that should have been placed on a Jagger solo album and one track that doesn't add much (Infamy).

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 5, 2018 19:48

Monsoon Ragoon
Harlem Shuffler
Monsoon Ragoon
Harlem Shuffler
There's nothing great on it and most of it is either nothing special or crap.

It's sad to think that this might be their last album of original songs.

It's a half-baked album (compared with the classics) with some "outtakes" which had never been released in the LP-era. But I'm pretty sure the next album won't be better. They are not able to record classics anymore (exceptions like Laugh I Nearly Died are seldom), they're soon 71-77 years old. They don't need good new songs for the concerts because they wouldn't play them anyway (except if they are bad enough like One More Shot). What do you expect?

What do you mean "What do I expect"? You seem to be agreeing with me but end up questioning me.

I like the album (although I know that it is no Sticky Fingers), you don't. Back in 2005 it was much better than expected because Bridges was incredible bad. Not to mention the 2002 songs. No personal offence intended, but it is quite absurd to hope the next album will beat ABB quality-wise.

You don't appear to have understood my original post.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 5, 2018 20:00

Harlem Shuffler
Monsoon Ragoon
Harlem Shuffler
Monsoon Ragoon
Harlem Shuffler
There's nothing great on it and most of it is either nothing special or crap.

It's sad to think that this might be their last album of original songs.

It's a half-baked album (compared with the classics) with some "outtakes" which had never been released in the LP-era. But I'm pretty sure the next album won't be better. They are not able to record classics anymore (exceptions like Laugh I Nearly Died are seldom), they're soon 71-77 years old. They don't need good new songs for the concerts because they wouldn't play them anyway (except if they are bad enough like One More Shot). What do you expect?

What do you mean "What do I expect"? You seem to be agreeing with me but end up questioning me.

I like the album (although I know that it is no Sticky Fingers), you don't. Back in 2005 it was much better than expected because Bridges was incredible bad. Not to mention the 2002 songs. No personal offence intended, but it is quite absurd to hope the next album will beat ABB quality-wise.

You don't appear to have understood my original post.

Well, I can't spend hours on these useless discussions.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 5, 2018 20:00

Some good individual tracks like Dangerous Beauty, LIND, Empty and the omitted UTR, but the production and mixing just grate on me. It's waaaay too long and just doesn't gel as an album.

I tried to listen to it for the 1st time since 2005 a few weeks ago and it hasn't aged well IMHO.

It's the only Stones album I really dislike and if their new effort is similar......don't bother !

sc uk

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2018 20:04

TooTough
laertisflash
I say...

Rough Justice --- 8.5/10
Let Me Down Slow --- 7/10
It Won't Take Long --- 8/10
Rain Fall Down --- 7.5/10
Streets Of Love --- 6.5/10 (but 8/10 live!)
Back Of My Hand --- 7.5/10
She Saw Me Coming --- 6.5/10
Biggest Mistake --- 6/10
This Place Is Empty --- 9.5/10
Oh No, Not You Again --- 10/10
Dangerous Beauty --- 8/10
Laugh, I Nearly Died --- 7/10
Sweet Neo Con --- 8/10
Look What The Cat Dragged In --- 8.5/10
Driving Too Fast --- 9/10
Infamy --- 5/10

Under The Radar --- 9/10
We Don't Wanna Go Home --- 6/10

As you see, I really like the album.

Nearly the same here...
If people on this site don´t like it...why
should they ever record own material again?

Because there's always a glimmer of hope that they can come up with something magical again as they did with albums up until Tattoo You.
While that might be unrealistic, with the high quality of Keith's Crosseyed Heart, those hopes have been raised again.

Here's my take on the A Bigger Bang from last year:
Hairball
I'd edit it all down to a 7" single.

Rain Fall Down (side A)
Laugh I Nearly Died (side B )

Then maybe a 12" single with extended Rain Fall Down (side A), and an instrumental remixed version of it (side B ).

I'll revise that by adding Biggest Mistake - haven't heard it in years, though I recall it having a nice country vibe to it (but maybe the album should have been titled this?).
To be fair though, I'll do some homework and listen to the cd in full again to see if anything else stands out.

straycatuk
Some good individual tracks like Dangerous Beauty, LIND, Empty and the omitted UTR, but the production and mixing just grate on me. It's waaaay too long and just doesn't gel as an album.

I tried to listen to it for the 1st time since 2005 a few weeks ago and it hasn't aged well IMHO.

It's the only Stones album I really dislike and if their new effort is similar......don't bother !

sc uk

Ugh that's what I'm afraid of...was never much of a fan of doing homework, but no pain no gain. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-05 20:08 by Hairball.

Date: April 5, 2018 20:27

To me, Biggest Mistake is a typical, but average Jagger ballad. But the guitar parts are great, especially on the complete bootlegged version, which they should have used. The decision to edit the intro and cut the outro seems to have been made in the last minute.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 5, 2018 20:32

Keith about ABB in 2015:

"There's some good stuff on there, but I don't know... There's something about the way it holds together, for me. I don't know if we got the tracks in the right order or something like that. Sometimes, it can make the difference on a record, the way it flows..."

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 5, 2018 20:38

The album is way too long, this 10 track version flows way better:

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
This Place Is Empty
Under The Radar
Oh No Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh I Nearly Died
Driving Too Fast

Still, its an average album with a bad production, it sounds half done, just like a demo version.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 5, 2018 21:43

SomeGuy
I think every album from Steel Wheels on is too long. As such, I find A Bigger Bang to be a rather enjoyable album, I play it probably more often than any of the late 60s & early 70s ones (but that's for another reason, somehow I dont play highlights that often because theyre too special, sort of).
Coming from Bridges To Babylon (a most deplorable album), A Bigger Bang is a vast improvement in my opinion. From what I read here people experience the album differently, I mean, how can this album be 'overproduced' and 'too raw' at the same time? Personally I thought that the scaled down 'Vegas style' backing vocals and ensemble was a bit of a relief and a slight return to the 5 piece band sound of yore. That, and a good 40 minutes of good songs make it the best of the latter day Stones (original) albums for me.

Seems like in the CD era everybody's albums got too long. Either that, or those of us who grew up in the vinyl age just got conditioned to have a perfect, condensed rock and roll experience in about 40 minutes. If you're just listening as you drive or clean house it's OK, but for serious listening without doing anything else, 40 minutes is about right..to me anyway. smiling smiley

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 5, 2018 22:09

georgelicks
The album is way too long, this 10 track version flows way better:

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
This Place Is Empty
Under The Radar
Oh No Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh I Nearly Died
Driving Too Fast

Still, its an average album with a bad production, it sounds half done, just like a demo version.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 5, 2018 23:32

Stand out track on the album for me is IT WONT TAKE LONG, something about that reminds me of Shelter.

Why the winging that the album is too long, if you get 6 extra tracks and you only like one of them then that's a plus surely.

Anyone can knock off the tracks they don't like and make their own CD etc.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2018 01:12

..... aawwww well 13 years later and Bang still has folks commenting on it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 6, 2018 01:20

OK, 13 years later....Back of My Hand is still my favorite track from the album

Date: April 6, 2018 01:24

Yeah Al .... Back Of My Hand .....

live version Jagger adds an extra/third verse...
if differs from show to show but roughly it's....

There's a woman /with her hand out/on the corner
Some children drawing lines in the sand
Someone offered to tell my fortune
But I can read it like the back of my hand

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 6, 2018 18:40

keithsman
Stand out track on the album for me is IT WONT TAKE LONG,

Yes. Agreed.

I have a few other favorites, but this is THE stand out in ABB. That song is musically and thematically, the sound of THE ROLLING STONES.

But others have rated it low, while praising tracks that I don't care for at all.

To me, the lack of consensus among fans is what stands out about ABB. If I were working for them and monitoring this site, I wouldn't know what to report back on what fans want to hear.

It's no wonder they don't record new material more often. Whatever they do, they just can't win.

Date: April 6, 2018 19:07

loog droog
To me, the lack of consensus among fans is what stands out about ABB. If I were working for them and monitoring this site, I wouldn't know what to report back on what fans want to hear.
It's no wonder they don't record new material more often. Whatever they do, they just can't win.

That's a peculiar way out of looking at it - that the Stones would actually consider fans' opinions, and if there's disagreement amongst the fans than might as well not work very often. Making excuses for their lack of output because fans don't agree on everything they record seems a stretch. I can't think of any other band or artist that has some integrity producing work in this fashion, ie relying on and basing their output on what the fans want or don't want. Maybe some pop stars work this way - boy bands, Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, etc., etc., etc. - but a legendary rock band that's been around for over 50 years? Hope not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-06 19:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 6, 2018 20:29

I have been listening to the album quite frequently over the last six or seven years (after discarding it when it came out and for years after) and I quite like it.

In fact, seeing this thread pop up this week has me listening to it right now and really enjoying it.

I think what got me into it was actually Bridges to Babylon. After not listening to that album for years I popped it in in about 2009 and started to really like it. That made me listen to the the other albums I had discarded over the years.

I know I'm a fanboy, but I like all their stuff and listen to it all pretty regularly (or at least when my girlfriend isn't around to get annoyed by the constant Stones coming out of the speakers).

Date: April 6, 2018 22:03

loog droog
keithsman
Stand out track on the album for me is IT WONT TAKE LONG,

Yes. Agreed.

I have a few other favorites, but this is THE stand out in ABB. That song is musically and thematically, the sound of THE ROLLING STONES.

But others have rated it low, while praising tracks that I don't care for at all.

Yes absolutely loog droog, one man's meat is another mans poison, i just have to laugh at some peoples taste on iorr, i read a few comments on here the other day where people were saying Miss You was the highlight of the show in 2017.
What can you do but laugh, its ridiculous but there you have it.

As you just said It Won't Take long is a serious Stones track showing some of their best qualities but it comes way down on a lot of peoples lists.

Even the way A Bigger Bang gets undervalued because the album is too long, its just nonsense. More is better , look at Exile, doesn't matter if someone thinks its too long when you get two for the price of one winking smiley

No Stones album is all bad, in fact their worse efforts are better than most bands best efforts, even Dirty Work has some fantastic tracks like Sleep Tonight, Harlem Shuffle, One Hit, Too Rude.

Its just trending on iorr to hate Dirty Work and the sheeple just follow the pack.

PS. Just playing the title track Dirty Work, its ACE>smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-06 22:12 by keithsman.

Date: April 6, 2018 22:16

keithsman
Stand out track on the album for me is IT WONT TAKE LONG, something about that reminds me of Shelter.

Why the winging that the album is too long, if you get 6 extra tracks and you only like one of them then that's a plus surely.

It Won't Take Long reminded me of the classic singles, but I see no similarity with Gimme Shelter at all. It's a shame that they didn't promote this song. (But they didn't even play the first single until Europe.)

Date: April 6, 2018 22:26

Monsoon Ragoon
keithsman

It Won't Take Long reminded me of the classic singles, but I see no similarity with Gimme Shelter at all. It's a shame that they didn't promote this song. (But they didn't even play the first single until Europe.)

There we go again, definitely reminds me of Shelter right from the intro but damn it no one can agree on anything here , i'm not saying its anywhere near as good as Shelter because Shelter was written from a different universe to this, but it has a tiny similarity maybe , just maybe if you try real hard and use some imagination winking smiley

Date: April 6, 2018 22:29

Life is short, one look and it's over
Comes as quite a shock
All I've got is some memories
Stuck in an old shoebox

......... It Won't Take Long
.............. Mick Jagger & Keith Richards

ROCKMAN

Date: April 6, 2018 22:47

Just how is it possible not to like this, puts shivers down my spine

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 7, 2018 00:49

Not a bad tune, but the way Mick forcibly squeezes out the vocals seem a bit...unnatural/contrived, though he loosens up a bit during the chorus which does sound better possibly due to multi-layered backing vocals.
I like the guitars throughout, but the overall production seems to stifle everything.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 8, 2018 03:14

I listened to ABB today after remembering this thread. I like a lot of the songs especially that one starting at 4:00.
Rockandroll,
Mops
[youtu.be]

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 4, 2019 00:15

Inspired by the Laugh I Nearly Died thread, I've been listening to A Bigger Bang a few times yesterday and today. I had forgotten how much I love some of these tracks. I think most of it is good and some tracks are great. I only dislike Driving Too Fast, This Place Is Empty, and Sweet Neo Con. Subtract those three, add Under The Radar and Don't Wanna Go Home, re-arrange the track order, and that's a solidly entertaining album. I think I'll burn a mix CD like that soon.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 4, 2019 00:51

DandelionPowderman
A BIGGER BANG:

Pre-production:

June 2004: La Fourchette (Mick Jagger's home studio), Pocé sur Cisse, France
August-September 2004: La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France & St. Vincent, West Indies

Recorded:

November-early December 2004: La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France
March 7-9, 2005: La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France
March 14-April 2005: La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France

Mixed:

June 6-28, 2005: Ocean Way Recording & Village Recorder Studios, Los Angeles, USA

Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins
Chief engineer: Krish Sharma
Mixers: Krish Sharma, Jack Joseph Puig & D. Sardy
Release date: September 2005
Original label: Virgin Records

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood, Darryl Jones, Chuck Leavell, Matt Clifford, Blondie Chaplin, Don Was, Lenny Castro.

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Streets Of Love
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
This Place Is Empty
Oh No, Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Sweet Neo Con
Look What The Cat Dragged In
Driving Too Fast
Infamy

Under The Radar *
We Don't Wanna Go Home *

(* Featured on the deluxe version only)

What are your thoughts on this album

Horrific production by the horrible don was. Yet they keep making that same mistake. Insanity?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 4, 2019 01:13

Wow. I just listened to ‘Under the Radar’ for the first time blew my mind SO GOOD WHO KNEW THIS GEM EXISTED Not I. Love it.
[www.keno.org]

[m.youtube.com]

REALLLLY GOOODDD

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: January 4, 2019 02:24

Let Me Down Slow is fantastic. I didn't appreciate it when the album came out.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home