Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 14
Re: My fav songs off a Bigger Bang
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 5, 2017 17:37

Not so many posters nominate "Rain Fall Down". What I like about it, is that it is a kind of "quasi-psychedelic soul".

[Well, some more posters lately,]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-05 17:39 by Witness.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 5, 2017 17:50

A decent Jagger solo album with two poor Keith's songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-05 17:52 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 5, 2017 17:52

mandu
my fav songs off A Bigger Bang are Laugh I nearly Died and She saw me coming

The best: Laugh I Nearly Died
The worst (!): She Saw Me Coming, sounds like an X-Pensive Winos rehearsal

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 5, 2017 18:35

RollingFreak
....Let Me Down Slow, IMO, is a gem and an underrated EXCELLENT late era song. Seriously, I don't know how people don't love this one, its great.

Totally agree thumbs up

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 5, 2017 18:52

Spud
RollingFreak
....Let Me Down Slow, IMO, is a gem and an underrated EXCELLENT late era song. Seriously, I don't know how people don't love this one, its great.

Totally agree thumbs up
Absolutely.

ABB is a perfect example of "less is more"...if the number of songs had been reduced to 9 or 10, it would be SO MUCH better.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 5, 2017 19:00

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
"Laugh, I Nearly Died" is very good.
"Rough Justice", "Rain Fall Down" and "Oh No, Not You Again" are okay too.
I can't remember the rest, but it didn't impress me much. Keith's songs were terrible, and that's coming from a "keithette".

That this song is «terrible» is a headscratcher. It was very good in concert, too.

<... This Place Is Empty ...>

After "Losing My Touch" (which I didn't like either) and "Slipping Away" (which I like very much), this one is just more of that same thing, one too many times.
I don't know, it lacks the touch of "something special".

I guess its just hard for me to understand how to differentiate between Keith songs. Either you like em all or you don't, which I don't mean directed at you but just in general, cause they are all usually the same basic song. This Place Is Empty is like a less good Slipping Away, and thats really only cause Slipping Away came first and has a bit more flourishes to make it sound more complete, if that makes sense. But all his songs are fairly similar, I'd be surprised if these are "worse" for some reason. I actually like that Infamy is striving for something uptempo and a little different.

IMO the worst Keith songs are the two that end Bridges to Babylon. I think they are well liked, and I haven't heard them in years, but what I remember is they are two 5 minute songs where he just repeats the song title the whole time.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 5, 2017 19:01

Spud
RollingFreak

Totally agree thumbs up

It sounds like it would have been great sounding live. I don't think they ever played it live which is a shame. There is a nice sense of freshness about it.

I barely listened to ABB, I think like many if they threw out about five or six songs it would have been more palatable.

I view the latter-day Rolling Stones as song craftsman, and quite good ones at that. But the passion and inspiration and of course the youth are not there or not the same any more. They can craft a song and record a song, but there is no intangible "special sauce" anymore. And with ABB being 12 years ago now, the chances of finding any more special sauce are remote at best.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 5, 2017 19:20

Cristiano Radtke
Rough Justice is great and should be played live more often, imho.

Hellz yeah! Can't believe some don't like it, it's their biggest kick-ass tune since songs like Stray Cat Blues & All Down the Line!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 5, 2017 19:30

She Saw Me Coming
Let Me Down Slow
Dangerous Beauty
Under the Radar
We Don't Wanna Go Home
Biggest Mistake
Driving Too Fast
Rough Justice
Back Of My Hand
Infamy
laughinearlydied (nice pun right there on the back cover)

However, the mastering of the CD is way too loud: there is a distinct digital sizzling affecting the higher frequencies (cymbals, lead vocals) which results from cutting off the peaks of the waveform so that quieter parts can be made louder.

I've been wondering: is Biggest Mistake about Jerry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-05 19:36 by billwebster.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2017 20:27

I'd edit it all down to a 7" single.

Rain Fall Down (side A)
Laugh I Nearly Died (side B )

Then maybe a 12" single with extended Rain Fall Down (side A), and an instrumental remixed version of it (side B ).

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: April 5, 2017 21:31

Good enough effort, liked it a lot at first. Coming, Laugh and Let Me Down the standouts. The 2 Keith songs are way down on How Can I Stop though.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 5, 2017 22:03

RollingFreak
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
I can't remember the rest, but it didn't impress me much. Keith's songs were terrible, and that's coming from a "keithette".

That this song is «terrible» is a headscratcher. It was very good in concert, too.

After "Losing My Touch" (which I didn't like either) and "Slipping Away" (which I like very much), this one is just more of that same thing, one too many times.

I guess its just hard for me to understand how to differentiate between Keith songs. Either you like em all or you don't, which I don't mean directed at you but just in general, cause they are all usually the same basic song. This Place Is Empty is like a less good Slipping Away, and thats really only cause Slipping Away came first and has a bit more flourishes to make it sound more complete, if that makes sense. But all his songs are fairly similar, I'd be surprised if these are "worse" for some reason. I actually like that Infamy is striving for something uptempo and a little different.

IMO the worst Keith songs are the two that end Bridges to Babylon. I think they are well liked, and I haven't heard them in years, but what I remember is they are two 5 minute songs where he just repeats the song title the whole time.

If there is a "sister song" to "This Place Is Empty Without You", my guess is (if my memory does not deceive me) that it is not most of all "Slipping Away", but rather "The Worst". In case not: Correct me, please!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 5, 2017 22:57

Witness
If there is a "sister song" to "This Place Is Empty Without You", my guess is (if my memory does not deceive me) that it is not most of all "Slipping Away", but rather "The Worst". In case not: Correct me, please!

Thank God Thief In The Night has no brothers, sisters, cousins...

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 5, 2017 23:19

1. Rain Fall Down
2. Oh No Not You Again
3. Let Me Down Slow
4. Infamy
5. Laugh, I Nearly Died
6. Back of My Hand
7. Won't Take Long
8. Cat Dragged In

Date: April 5, 2017 23:52

Witness
RollingFreak
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

I'd say All About You, if we have to compare, that is...

That one, Slipping Away, Losing My Touch and This Place Is Empty all have jazzy maj-chords and a slow tempo.

However, the rhythm, the feel and the impact those chords have on the song make All About You and This Place Is Empty a little bit similar, imo.

But they are very different, really..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-05 23:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 6, 2017 00:33

DandelionPowderman
Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
This Place Is Empty
Back Of My Hand
Dangerous Beauty

I have a soft spot for Biggest Mistake as well..
Love these all plus Oh No Not You Again

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 6, 2017 01:22

Dangerous Beauty is the only song I like alot. Its weird to me that so many think its an awful song.

Date: April 6, 2017 06:14

Laugh I nearly Died
Rough Justice
She Saw Me Coming
Look What Cat Dragged In
Let Me Down Slow

I wanted to name maybe 2 others, but took them off because I imagined hearing them, and there is something about the entire album that bothers me. It may be the overall mix and esp. the mastering. It may be all the vocals. It is the reverb on the harmonica. The tempos...something.
Because back of Hand, rain Fell Down I can see they are decent songs.
There isn't one ounce of warmth in the whole album.
Exile e.g. is a warm, beautiful album.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 6, 2017 06:21

Let Me Down Slow is my favorite. I really like all of the songs. Driving Too Fast I like, especially the early mix with the slide guitar part.

A Bigger Bang Beta-Mixes 2005 (Idol Mind Productions)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 6, 2017 08:17

stanlove
Dangerous Beauty is the only song I like alot. Its weird to me that so many think its an awful song.

I don't think its a standout, although I do think some of the lyrics are good. I think its more victim of coming towards the end of the record. It comes right as I start losing interest and putting my attention elsewhere, and just isn't a strong enough song on its own to stand up, in my opinion of course. Can't explain why I really like Neo Con and Laugh I Nearly Died which follow it. It may be that I just see it as the weakest song in stretch of songs 8-13.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2017 08:50

RollingFreak
I still contend its their best post Tattoo You album. Far and away. I know thats an unpopular opinion.

Rough Justice is nothing special, but for being a rocker I think it gets the job done and is one of their better latter day upbeat ones.

Let Me Down Slow, IMO, is a gem and an underrated EXCELLENT late era song. Seriously, I don't know how people don't love this one, its great.

Filled with other great ones. It Won't Take Long, She Saw Me Coming, Sweet Neo Con are passably enjoyable songs to me but yes, nothing really special. I think Oh No Not You Again is a great rocker. This Place Is Empty is a great Keith song. Biggest Mistake is a cool difference on the album. I mean, you basically have a 40 minute record there. Add Back Of My Hand and then one of the other 6 songs (your choice) and you have a solid 10 track old school length record that I personally think is great.

thumbs up

although Undercover is a better album, i think ABB is the best thing since then. they did need to edit it down, too much material that was average brought the whole thing down a star. it could have been a great album and consequently is just a good album. under the radar should have been developed a bit more and included.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 6, 2017 10:11

HMS
Witness

Thank God Thief In The Night has no brothers, sisters, cousins...

thumbs up

Thief in the night, Losing my touch and This place is empty...what boring songs.

Date: April 6, 2017 10:14

Thief In The Night has no brothers??

Well, it's in the yellow pages - you just take a look...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 6, 2017 10:59

RollingFreak
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

I see what you're saying. It's true that most Keith ballads have this "jazzy-smoky-after-midnight-in-a-bar kind of feel. "All About You" (which I like) and "The Worst" (which I don't like much) are other examples.
Funnily enough, I love "Thief In The Night", I think it's one of his best, whereas "How Can I Stop" I find less exciting (most people would say the other way around). I don't know, I guess what distinguishes one from the other - to me - is whether it has "something special" and not just sticks to a few jazzy chords and a hoarse voice mumbling about "my baby", but what that "special thing" is, I don't know. "This Place Is Empty" for me works like "The Worst": mwah. "Infamy" I think is awful, terrible. That stupid pun "in for me/infamy" already ruins it for me and then the music is not good, on the level with "Wanna Hold You" which I can't stand either.
Very good Keith-Stones songs: Happy, Little T&A, All About You, Sleep Tonight, Slipping Away, Thief In the Night
Okay/Mediocre Keith-Stones songs: Coming Down Again, Before They Make Me Run, Can't Be Seen, The Worst, You Don't Have To Mean It, How Can I Stop, This Place Is Empty, Thru and Thru
Lousy Keith-Stones songs: Wanna Hold You, Losing My Touch, Infamy

(I just edited to put in Thru and Thru)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 11:02 by matxil.

Date: April 6, 2017 11:02

DandelionPowderman

Uff, I forgot about that "Thru and Thru". The idea is great, but face it, it's just not much fun listening to it. I don't see it at all as a brother of Thief In The Night, which I really enjoy tremendously, I think it's a fantastic bar-brawl (if that's a word), and the highlight of Bridges To Babylon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-06 11:04 by matxil.

Date: April 6, 2017 11:05

matxil
DandelionPowderman

Uff, I forgot about that "Thru and Thru". The idea is great, but face it, it's just not much funny listening to it. I don't see it at all as a brother of Thief In The Night, which I really enjoy tremendously, I think it's a fantastic bar-brawl (if that's a word), and the highlight of Bridges To Babylon.

I love both of them. Thru And Thru came to life in concert, imo.

Both songs are sort of creeping up on you. They start out sneaky and quiet and eventually get under your skin. Good stuff!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 6, 2017 11:16

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

Uff, I forgot about that "Thru and Thru". The idea is great, but face it, it's just not much funny listening to it. I don't see it at all as a brother of Thief In The Night, which I really enjoy tremendously, I think it's a fantastic bar-brawl (if that's a word), and the highlight of Bridges To Babylon.

I love both of them. Thru And Thru came to life in concert, imo.

Both songs are sort of creeping up on you. They start out sneaky and quiet and eventually get under your skin. Good stuff!

I agree that that version is much better!
And yes, it has a certain "getting used to" thing like most of his songs.
The thing is, I never had that with "Thief In The Night", I loved that one right away, even inmediately singing along (something which is quite difficult with Keith's songs because nothing is never really clearly defined). There is a fluidity, a grooviness to Thief. Whereas Thru and Thru (at least studio) never breaks loose, it remains in something "static". But - again - live indeed it's
much better.

Date: April 6, 2017 11:55

matxil
RollingFreak
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

I see what you're saying. It's true that most Keith ballads have this "jazzy-smoky-after-midnight-in-a-bar kind of feel. "All About You" (which I like) and "The Worst" (which I don't like much) are other examples.
Funnily enough, I love "Thief In The Night", I think it's one of his best, whereas "How Can I Stop" I find less exciting (most people would say the other way around). I don't know, I guess what distinguishes one from the other - to me - is whether it has "something special" and not just sticks to a few jazzy chords and a hoarse voice mumbling about "my baby", but what that "special thing" is, I don't know. "This Place Is Empty" for me works like "The Worst": mwah. "Infamy" I think is awful, terrible. That stupid pun "in for me/infamy" already ruins it for me and then the music is not good, on the level with "Wanna Hold You" which I can't stand either.
Very good Keith-Stones songs: Happy, Little T&A, All About You, Sleep Tonight, Slipping Away, Thief In the Night
Okay/Mediocre Keith-Stones songs: Coming Down Again, Before They Make Me Run, Can't Be Seen, The Worst, You Don't Have To Mean It, How Can I Stop, This Place Is Empty, Thru and Thru
Lousy Keith-Stones songs: Wanna Hold You, Losing My Touch, Infamy

(I just edited to put in Thru and Thru)

I agree with much of Matxil list. I like a lot more of them, ( Before they make me run is a masterpiece; The Worst is great), but I also think that these faux-jazz ballads have become grating. I already started bucking at "Sleep", "How Can I Stop" is carried by the end section. Without Wayne Shorter and Charlie it loses so much. But "Losing my Touch" and "Infamy" are a total drag

Date: April 6, 2017 11:57

I've actually learned to appreaciate Losing My Touch a lot more in recent years.

I used to think it was boring, but there are some subtle touches there that are really beautiful, imo. It has grown on me.

Infamy is a totally different type of song. More like a slower Shattered. I liked it at first, but quickly lost interest..

Date: April 6, 2017 12:08

DandelionPowderman
I've actually learned to appreaciate Losing My Touch a lot more in recent years.

I used to think it was boring, but there are some subtle touches there that are really beautiful, imo. It has grown on me.

Infamy is a totally different type of song. More like a slower Shattered. I liked it at first, but quickly lost interest..

One good thing about this forum, it makes me occasionally re-listen to songs. I'll give Losing My Touch another try today.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home