Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14
Re: ALBUM TALK: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 24, 2015 23:29

While there are some good songs on the album, the biggest problem is it just doesn't feel like the Stones. One of their first albums where I really just didn't feel like I was listening to The Rolling Stones. Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge, to some extent, have the same problem. But with A Bigger Bang it just feels like a solo record with Keith and the rest of the crew backing Jagger. Hearing Crosseyed Heart, I think if Keith had written, or offered to actually write with Jagger, A Bigger Bang would be a much more rewarding listening experience. But as it is, there are moments of crunching joy, like Rough Justice, juxtaposed with some of the most banally insipid music The Stones have ever put on wax. Yes, that would be Streets of Love! Coupled with rote rockers that sound soulless, such as Oh No Not You Again, with no heavy riff to hang the cliched lyrics on. And yes, the lyrics at times are quite wonderful, then utter crap. So again, this is an album I have rarely gone back to. it bores me, and when I wanna rock, I hit something that sounds like The Rolling Stones or are The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-24 23:35 by whitem8.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 25, 2015 14:55

whitem8
While there are some good songs on the album, the biggest problem is it just doesn't feel like the Stones. One of their first albums where I really just didn't feel like I was listening to The Rolling Stones. Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge, to some extent, have the same problem. But with A Bigger Bang it just feels like a solo record with Keith and the rest of the crew backing Jagger. Hearing Crosseyed Heart, I think if Keith had written, or offered to actually write with Jagger, A Bigger Bang would be a much more rewarding listening experience. But as it is, there are moments of crunching joy, like Rough Justice, juxtaposed with some of the most banally insipid music The Stones have ever put on wax. Yes, that would be Streets of Love! Coupled with rote rockers that sound soulless, such as Oh No Not You Again, with no heavy riff to hang the cliched lyrics on. And yes, the lyrics at times are quite wonderful, then utter crap. So again, this is an album I have rarely gone back to. it bores me, and when I wanna rock, I hit something that sounds like The Rolling Stones or are The Rolling Stones.

A Mick's solo album played by the Stones.
I agree.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: October 30, 2015 18:46

A IORR poster stated once that the mid-late 80's & 90's albums sound like a modern day cover band trying to be the Stones - couldn't agree more with this description. Slick, overproduced, generic sound w/ largely paint by numbers song writing. Sure, a few exceptions here and there but mostly music that I never listen again to after the initial spin or two.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 30, 2015 19:36

Why should they ever realease a new album when their own fans don´t like their
output of the last 30 years?

I like ABB very much, it was a good album with good songwriting, not made
to change the world, but made to put something NEW out (what some here are
looking forward to again - and bitching about that in 5 years).

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 30, 2015 23:02

Infamy was even worse live during the tour. Though I don't think it survived long
on the tour - just Don't remember. I thought "Oh no not you again" came off better live than on the record.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 30, 2015 23:20

SuperC
A IORR poster stated once that the mid-late 80's & 90's albums sound like a modern day cover band trying to be the Stones - couldn't agree more with this description. Slick, overproduced, generic sound w/ largely paint by numbers song writing. Sure, a few exceptions here and there but mostly music that I never listen again to after the initial spin or two.

Yeah a pretty good description, just nothing to stand out and grab you like those records did during the late 60's and 70's. ABB is no exception for me and has been collecting dust for years. I really tried to get into it too. After hearing about Mick and Keith working together and alone again for the writing and some Don Was hype, I was sure this was going to be the one, nope just more of the same.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 31, 2015 04:20

a bigger bang is similar to bridges to babylon ,black and blue, emotional rescue, voodoo lounge and steel wheels in many respects.

few great songs, some good songs, a lot of filler and generally the album too long with too many weak tracks.

however much better than dirtywork and with a bit of variety.

with a bigger bang, i like about half of it.

rough justice
biggest mistake
it wont take long
infamy
back of my hand
this place is empty
rainfall down
laugh i nearly died

like the other 5 albums i mentioned its similar too it just needs a couple of stronger songs and to dump the rest and it would be up there as being a really solid album.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 31, 2015 04:42

franzk
Rough Justice - nice rocker, but predictable
Let Me Down Slow - I really like it, it should've been 1st single
It Won't Take Long - nice, but not great
Rain Fall Down - great
Streets Of Love - dissapointing on the album, but great live
Back Of My Hand - nice, but again too predictable
She Saw Me Coming - OK
Biggest Mistake - good
This Place Is Empty - really touching Keith ballad
Oh No, Not You Again - cool
Dangerous Beauty - filler
Laugh, I Nearly Died - fantastic, best on the album
Sweet Neo Con - should've been erased as soon as they recored it. So bad that's almost funny
Look What The Cat Dragged In - kinda nice but filler
Driving Too Fast - boring
Infamy - ok

Change "ok" to "horrible" for Infamy and I would agree 100% with your verdict!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 31, 2015 09:53

A Bigger Bang was the stones' first studio LP since I became a fan. I remember the excitement and anticipation and overal, I wasn't disappointed upon first listen. In retrospect, however, the album is overlong and there are one-too-many throway's. I'm thinking of the likes of Driving Too Fast, here. These are not bad tracks; just recordings I have little-to-no desire to reacquaint myself with. Only Sweet Neocon and Infany are unlistenable in my ears, however.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2015 17:35

TooTough

Mick started doubting the new music in 1975 when they were playing songs from IORR on the tour so it's nothing new. Somehow he magically kept writing and recording new Stones songs... although sometimes you'd never know they did anything after 1981.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: October 31, 2015 19:57

TooTough

Unless there's a real change in approach, effort, song-writing, and production, I don't want another new Stones album. It hurts to put it in writing, but there's just to great a likelihood of more career diluting output. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised but after 35 years - doubtful. The best way to end the bitching is don't give us the ammo with another paint by numbers release.

Date: October 31, 2015 21:31

I agree. If they should do a new LP I hope they have the desire to write new tunes and actually work on them, not do it because they're the oldest blah blah blah or because they can or why not? and any other crap.

But the real question is why at all? Aren't there enough? They won't play the songs live. It's not 1983.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 1, 2015 09:44

In the past they seem to play select tunes from a new release live at least if they are touring. Hardly any newer tunes seem to continue in latter setlists though. The one example I can think of is "you got me rockin" but that goes way back to 94. Out of control I guess is another example as it was played a couple times on the last tour. Maybe there are other examples though...

Date: November 1, 2015 09:51

Out Of Control

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 1, 2015 11:51

ONNYA was good. I liked it. Edit: and Infamy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-01 11:52 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: November 1, 2015 19:55

ONNYA is, in a way, SBN but, worse, on cruise control while snoozing. Maybe it's a good idea but it didn't really work. It's just... weak. It's like someone forgot to use salt in the dough to make the bread...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 2, 2015 10:37

alimente
franzk
Rough Justice - nice rocker, but predictable
Let Me Down Slow - I really like it, it should've been 1st single
It Won't Take Long - nice, but not great
Rain Fall Down - great
Streets Of Love - dissapointing on the album, but great live
Back Of My Hand - nice, but again too predictable
She Saw Me Coming - OK
Biggest Mistake - good
This Place Is Empty - really touching Keith ballad
Oh No, Not You Again - cool
Dangerous Beauty - filler
Laugh, I Nearly Died - fantastic, best on the album
Sweet Neo Con - should've been erased as soon as they recored it. So bad that's almost funny
Look What The Cat Dragged In - kinda nice but filler
Driving Too Fast - boring
Infamy - ok

Change "ok" to "horrible" for Infamy and I would agree 100% with your verdict!

Back of My Hand "nice but too predictable". There goes the totally blues themed album approach I guess...haha

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 2, 2015 11:06

Date: November 2, 2015 11:49

That performance sure gave us high expectations for the album and tour smiling smiley

Date: November 2, 2015 15:30

Uh huh. ONNYA was a huge predictor on the sound of the tour...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 5, 2015 23:31

Just listened to Sweet Neo Con out of curiosity - a lot of people seem to almost "hate" that song and I had only a vague idea what the song sounds like after several years of not listening to it.

Much to my own surprise I liked what I heard - so I listened to it three times and started to even like it more than the first time. It´s a very unusual song in many ways, one of the rare political statements and musically kind of strange but very interesting with exotic, in fact oriental flavor. Listen to those heavy drums and sharp guitars, fantastic. But even more fantastic is once again the way Mick plays the harp. Mick´s angry voice sounds very good on this one, the lyrics are at times very good and show that they sometimes care for other things than girls. Not every line is good but overall the lyrics are not bad. This is a very underrated song imo, it deserves more attention than it usually seems to get. Go and listen to it, perhaps just like me you will be surprised in a positive way. This is indeed one of the highlights of the album, if you give it time to grow.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 5, 2015 23:37

HMS
Just listened to Sweet Neo Con out of curiosity - a lot of people seem to almost "hate" that song and I had only a vague idea what the song sounds like after several years of not listening to it.

Much to my own surprise I liked what I heard - so I listened to it three times and started to even like it more than the first time. It´s a very unusual song in many ways, one of the rare political statements and musically kind of strange but very interesting with exotic, in fact oriental flavor. Listen to those heavy drums and sharp guitars, fantastic. But even more fantastic is once again the way Mick plays the harp. Mick´s angry voice sounds very good on this one, the lyrics are at times very good and show that they sometimes care for other things than girls. Not every line is good but overall the lyrics are not bad. This is a very underrated song imo, it deserves more attention than it usually seems to get. Go and listen to it, perhaps just like me you will be surprised in a positive way. This is indeed one of the highlights of the album, if you give it time to grow.

thumbs up
I quite like too.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 5, 2015 23:54

This isn't even a real Stones album. Bill Wyman was not a member of the band when it was made.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 6, 2015 00:08

Rough Justice: great (live versions are even better)
Oh No Not You Again: Rollinjg Stones classic
Back Of Off My Hand: great (live versions are better)
She Saw Me Coming: not bad

others: are weak or shit

The weakest Stones album.

I'd prefer great new songs (see above) instead of weak albums!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 00:09 by 1962.

Date: November 6, 2015 15:56

Turner68
This isn't even a real Stones album. Bill Wyman was not a member of the band when it was made.

You'd have to go all the way back to UNDERCOVER for the last real Stones album...

Date: November 6, 2015 15:59

HMS

It is clear why you like DIRTY WORK so much: you just like really bad Rolling Stones. You don't and can't like really good Rolling Stones. Sweet Neo Con is really bad.

Lyrically it's weak. He did his best writing for Dangerous Beauty, a much heavier political track that got absolutely zero attention at the same time this stain-the-toilet track did.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 6, 2015 16:26

DandelionPowderman
The tracks I still enjoy:

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
This Place Is Empty
Dangerous Beauty

The rest I grew tired of, or they were pretty bad to begin with. I liked Laugh, I Nearly Died a while. Now I can't listen to it (apart from the big Mick-choir, that's cool).

The tracks I still enjoy:

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 6, 2015 18:33

GasLightStreet
HMS

It is clear why you like DIRTY WORK so much: you just like really bad Rolling Stones. You don't and can't like really good Rolling Stones. Sweet Neo Con is really bad.

Lyrically it's weak. He did his best writing for Dangerous Beauty, a much heavier political track that got absolutely zero attention at the same time this stain-the-toilet track did.

On this occasion, contrary to your response, instead I found HMS's post interesting and stimulating.

I quote excerpts from my own post (from February this year) in the track talk thread:

Witness
I for one (or for a very small minority) did like that the Stones expressed some views once again on society and on politics.

The element of subtlety of the song was presented by one poster here, when I myself had not yet caught hold of the album. That consists of the lyrics not being voiced by Mick Jagger, the vocalist, apart from the refrain "How come you're so wrong, my sweet neo-con". Instead in this conception, the lines of the verses are the words allotted to one NeoCon, allegedly spoken by that hypothetical person.

I find that the song is perhaps more important than it is a grand song as such. On the other hand, in a way of less is more, as many Stones songs are, in my outlook, I find that the music's more or less harshness in my outlook suits the lyrics rather well. So I consider "Sweet NeoCon" as a song that contributes to define the album and be among the songs that make A BIGGER BANG verging on the semi-great. The potential objections to such a characterization, which I still can see, would in case for me be other songs that many will prefer, but to me are more derivative of earlier song material from the band,if not directly, so indirectly.

Date: November 6, 2015 19:20

I don't understand how such a thud of a song can be so interesting.

Date: November 6, 2015 19:34

TooTough

Why should they release a bad album at all? That's the real question. Why can't they not do such crap as Streets Of Love, Sweet Neo Con and Oh No Not You Again? Why do they have to put that kind of garbage out? Sweet Neo Con only got attention for its lyrics, not for being a good song. It's not even SBN, it's a Jagger idea of a riff that is so beyond pedestrian it's painful.

The last 30 years? You answered it. That's:
DIRTY WORK - their worst album ever
STEEL WHEELS - mall music
VOODOO LOUNGE - Stones By Numbers
BRIDGES TO BABYLON - All over the map
A BIGGER BANG - Not really sure...

Are any of those as vital as GHS, IORR, BAB, SG, ER, TY and U?

No.

That's a part of the problem.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home