Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314
Current Page: 14 of 14
Re: ALBUM TALK: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 5, 2023 16:29

There's one good track: HURRICANE. Skip the rest. Compared to ABB, Dirty Work is a masterpiece

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: September 5, 2023 17:43

1 Rough Justice
2 Let Me Down Slow
3 Rain Fall Down
4 Streets Of Love
5 Back Of My Hand
6 She Saw Me Coming
7 Under the radar
8 This Place Is Empty
9 Oh No Not You Again
10 Laugh I Nearly Died
11 We don't wanna go home

This secuence of songs would have made a far better album in my opinion

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:05

deardoctor
There's one good track: HURRICANE. Skip the rest. Compared to ABB, Dirty Work is a masterpiece

You feeling ok? That is the absurdest thing I've seen in quite a while.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:23

The Worst

Could be the worst Stones album - but still a very good album!

- Doxa

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:31

Doxa
The Worst

- Doxa

That number one position will always belong to Dirty Work.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 5, 2023 21:13

StonedRambler
Doxa
The Worst

- Doxa

That number one position will always belong to Dirty Work.

A matter of personal opinion there.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 5, 2023 21:19

Wiki states that ABB was released on 9/6/05, not 9/5/05. Is that correct? If so, then we have one more day until we get to the official anniversary. I don't recall, though I do know that I had seen them twice already on the ABB tour by the time the album came out!!! Checking back thru my setlists, I've never gotten more than 4 songs in a show off a current album, be that ABB or B2B.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 6, 2023 09:26

VoodooLounge13
Wiki states that ABB was released on 9/6/05, not 9/5/05. Is that correct? If so, then we have one more day until we get to the official anniversary. I don't recall, though I do know that I had seen them twice already on the ABB tour by the time the album came out!!! Checking back thru my setlists, I've never gotten more than 4 songs in a show off a current album, be that ABB or B2B.

It was released in Europe on the 5th, and in North America on the 6th.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: September 6, 2023 09:44

Doxa
bakersfield
Too many of the songs, such as "Oh No Not You Again', sound forced, they don't swing at all. Does anyone know how many of the tracks featured Charlie?

Like mentioned by Topi, he is in all over of them, but I think what could be the reason for the tracks probably not having that typical groove, that is, sounding a bit forced by Stones standards is that Charlie was not there were when the backing tracks were laid, but just replaced later the original drum tracks (laid by Mick mostly I guess). So Charlie couldn't much affect on the total 'feel' for the tracks.

Thanks Doxa - that explains a lot! But it mystifies me that even after (only!) eight years they could not be bothered to capture the songs live as band in a way that would enable their trademark swing to flourish.

I'm hoping for swinging and weaving on the new album. Fingers crossed,.
- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 6, 2023 11:24

Bakersfield, the band feel and cohesion surely suffered from Charlie's cancer and Ronnie's rehab. So it was basically just Mick and Keith's deal (assisted by Don Was etc.). Charlie and Ronnie would add their bit later in the process (in the case of Ronnie, just a few overdubs). To my ears the album sounds a bit demoish. That sort of rawness might work sometimes, but I am not so sure here. Some of the band chemistry is at least missing.

Keith claims in LIFE that Mick had hoped the album be re-recorded in a proper studio (they had made it at Mick's castle in France), but him and Don Was were against the idea. They thought the album was perfect as it was. So Mick's wish was rejected.

I don't know how trustful Keith's claim is. The point of it is to tell how vain Mick is: he fancies expensive studios, with all the recent technology available, etc. That is bullshit for Keith who romantically prefers Nellcote-like primitive premises.

Namely, I don't know if they would have time to spend a month or two more in a studio, since there was a tour coming. And the tour had already started when A BIGGER BANG was finally released. Besides, it is usually Mick who rushes things, and tries to meet the deadlines, etc.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 11:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:26

I really do still think this is a fantastic effort from them. For me, the only one I truly perk up for since Tattoo You. Every one after that was just filler for me. I truly thought this was a solid release. Its issue, as was Bruce Springsteen's The Rising around the same time, was it was too damn long. I guess thats fine as its better to have more out there than less, but a 45 minute record would be perfect. To me I think:

Excellent:
-Let Me Down Slow: I've always thought this is a modern classic
-Streets Of Love
-Biggest Mistake
-Oh No, Not You Again

Very Good:
-Rough Justice: maybe it sounds like a generic rehash of their stuff but I still think its an excellent album opener. Again, better than anything since Start Me Up.
-It Won't Take Long
-She Saw Me Coming
-This Place Is Empty
-Sweet Neo Con
-Infamy

Fine:
-Back Of My Hand
-Dangerous Beauty
-Laugh, I Nearly Died
-Look What The Cat Dragged In
-Driving Too Fast

The only outright one I hate is Rain Fall Down which ironically I feel is one of the most loved tracks on that album around here. To me, the Excellents and Very Good that I have make a solid 10 song, 40 minute record. Tack on Back Of My Hand and Laugh, I Nearly Died, and drop the other fines and Rain Fall Down and I still contend thats a great 48 minute record.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314
Current Page: 14 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2262
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home