Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 28
Re: OT: Axl and Slash reconcile
Date: August 24, 2015 08:31

oldschool
They have more than enough material to put on a 2hour show as the UYI albums are both double albums so they have over three hours of original material. I saw them twice on the UYI tour and they played for over 2 hours when Axl finally got his arse on stage.

I would also expect them to possibly play some solo stuff as well so they have no problems giving fans a 2+ hour show.

IMHO the real issue is Axl's vocals because if you have followed recent NuGuns tours he has really struggled singing.

And I took my wife to see the Police at Fenway Park, as she is a big Sting fan, and they actually put on a good show IMHO.

part of the issue with axl's voice now is he sings using falsetto now to not damage his voice which makes him sound whiny

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 24, 2015 13:00

keefriffhard4life
oldschool
They have more than enough material to put on a 2hour show as the UYI albums are both double albums so they have over three hours of original material. I saw them twice on the UYI tour and they played for over 2 hours when Axl finally got his arse on stage.

I would also expect them to possibly play some solo stuff as well so they have no problems giving fans a 2+ hour show.

IMHO the real issue is Axl's vocals because if you have followed recent NuGuns tours he has really struggled singing.

And I took my wife to see the Police at Fenway Park, as she is a big Sting fan, and they actually put on a good show IMHO.

part of the issue with axl's voice now is he sings using falsetto now to not damage his voice which makes him sound whiny

Yeah he does not seem to have the growl and power anymore so fans might be disappointed if there was a reunion as this is not the Axl they hear on Appetite for Destruction.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 24, 2015 15:25

Let them run out of money/success and they will reunite. The smell of money will wipe away all personal difficulties.

I don´t care, never liked Axel´s voice.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 24, 2015 15:29

24FPS
HYPE HYPE HYPE. Come see the ORIGINAL Guns and Roses! Pay Stones prices for tickets! Of course they weren't together long enough to justify enough quality studio material to fill out a setlist. Let's see, the Police got together again after 20 years, for the dough. How satisfying were those concerts? (It's a rhetorical question. They sucked).
i saw the Police 10/31/07 at madison square garden and it was 2 plus hpurs of all of there hits and then some .really high quality , really great show . just killer !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: August 24, 2015 15:39

I also saw the Police Reunion tour in Columbus. I thought it was a really good show, but they were obviously just doing it for a cash grab. It was Sting's Ace in the Hole, and for the other 2 guys, a lifeline they'd be clinging to for years. And fair enough, it became the 3rd or 4th highest grossing tour, behind the Stones and U2.

Meh, if the original GnR lineup got back together, played "Appetite" in it's entirety plus a sprinkling from the other albums, I'd go see that. The concert industry is looking for their next big blockbuster tour, and this is likely the one. The ship has sailed on Pink Floyd or Led Zep reunion tours.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 24, 2015 16:43

This is a band that had one very good album kids! ONE!

Posted by: sodapop ()
Date: August 24, 2015 16:50

I hope they do not reunite. I had the chance to see Guns & Roses back in 1987(?) or '88---can't recall. I thought they had it all. They were fat and bloated by 1992 and a whisp of what they were - or could have been.

I know the reunited Police and similar concerts generally are 'good' shows - but it's not the same.

As far as the books - I thought Slash's was the fun one to read. Duff's was good - Ronnie's - pure garbage. Keith's book was the best of them all.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 24, 2015 17:02

If Duff, Steven, Izzy, Slash and Axl ever tour together again...
@#$%& yeah, I'd go.

Slash is playing great nowadays, Duff is too.
Izzy would be the important part of this one and Steven is a must.

Its gotten to the point that Axl is the weakest link of the original five.
Ego.

And as far as that "one very good album"...
Its almost underrated as far as I'm concerned.
smoking smiley

Date: August 24, 2015 18:44

right, one -- and one only -- good album

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 24, 2015 19:04

[www.youtube.com]

Bad Obsession of GN'R is rich of musical references to The Rolling Stones; also You Ain't The First (from the same album) is a kind of Sweet Virginia but not beautiful as the last one.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 24, 2015 19:17

The only reason I'd hope for them to reunite is to get in on the betting on the tour in Las Vegas. Surely they'd open betting books for number of shows that were cancelled due to "health reasons" and shows that ended early due to "monitor issues". I wonder if there are any books going in Vegas on the Van Halen tour. Apparently they cancelled a show in PA this weekend due to Dave having the flu.

Seriously though, I know that G&R has a place in the fond memories of many but, would you really want to go to a show where the vocalist the weakest member and all he has to fall back on is his "rock star attitude"? Axl was a rock star in the late 80s & early 90's. 20 years later I don't think I'd have any desire to see him pretending to be one.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 24, 2015 19:31

Do you think they could promise to go onstage before 11PM?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 24, 2015 21:30

Dismissing GnR because they haven't released enough for a setlist is just ignorance. Sure, Appetite is their best album (a small masterpiece IMHO), and the Illusion albums have a couple of mediocre songs, but there's plenty of awesome stuff there. Plus there's Lies with a few great songs, and even Spaghetti Incident has good stuff on it. They could easily put together a killer Guns setlist and switch it around a little bit from show to show.

That said, I'm not sure a Guns reunion would be amazing. I would consider seeing them if they reunited, came to Sweden, played and behaved decently, got good reviews and didn't charge outrageous ticket prices...

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: August 24, 2015 23:20

LieB
Dismissing GnR because they haven't released enough for a setlist is just ignorance. Sure, Appetite is their best album (a small masterpiece IMHO), and the Illusion albums have a couple of mediocre songs, but there's plenty of awesome stuff there. Plus there's Lies with a few great songs, and even Spaghetti Incident has good stuff on it. They could easily put together a killer Guns setlist and switch it around a little bit from show to show.

That said, I'm not sure a Guns reunion would be amazing. I would consider seeing them if they reunited, came to Sweden, played and behaved decently, got good reviews and didn't charge outrageous ticket prices...

I would guess concert going masses from all over the globe would go crazy for a GNR reunion. Get the band back together, advertise it as the "Appetite code tour", make it seem like they might play "Appetite for destruction" in its entirety, head out on the road and sell out arenas and stadiums worldwide for several years... make more money than God.

Following the modern day music business model, bands from back in the day can make as much in one night as they did in a month of touring back in the day (when the tour was subsidized to market the new album.) These days there is no need for a new album when tickets are priced at $100-$50000 versus $10-20 back in in the day. It is why so many old farts are going back out on the rock and roll road and it seems they are putting on pretty good shows making fans happy.

Date: August 24, 2015 23:26

And I would suggest for (most) older singers like Axl and David Lee Roth, swallow your pride and bring along back up singers. It is OK, people understand, and as much as fans want to see you old arse up there, they also want to hear those song sung the way they are supposed to sound, so bring along a back up singer (or 3-4) and you do all the talking (and go ahead and hire a joke writer to write some good jokes specific to each city) and a lot of the singing, but have some sound reinforcement... and dont hide them, have them stand stage left and sing their lungs out.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 24, 2015 23:41

sodapop
I hope they do not reunite. I had the chance to see Guns & Roses back in 1987(?) or '88---can't recall. I thought they had it all. They were fat and bloated by 1992 and a whisp of what they were - or could have been.

I know the reunited Police and similar concerts generally are 'good' shows - but it's not the same.

As far as the books - I thought Slash's was the fun one to read. Duff's was good - Ronnie's - pure garbage. Keith's book was the best of them all.

Believe it or not Slash, Duff and Izzy are probably in better shape now than they were back during the UYI tours as they are clean and sober now. I have seen Slash and his current solo band half a dozen times recently an they put on a killer show. Slash is sober and playing better then ever.

And while Axl's vocals have been subpar at times he has not cancelled shows recently and he was touring a fair amount in the last 3-4 years.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 25, 2015 00:17

oldschool

Believe it or not Slash, Duff and Izzy are probably in better shape now than they were back during the UYI tours as they are clean and sober now.

Izzy was clean in 1991. He had a legal sword of Damocles above his head (he had been arrested around 1990) so he cleaned up taht year.
The first time he got together again with the other guys to write the UYI material "someone" who was leaning over a big amp turned back and said "Hi Izzy!!! Want some?" >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 25, 2015 08:16

Another sucker tour for the tourists. Saw them in '89, twice, opening for the Stones in L.A. There's no way they can ever come near the band they were. And it's not like there's a lot of fondness out there for Axl. One of the all time weirdos in rock.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: August 25, 2015 12:49

There's one approach they could take to this that I would find interesting and that is a setlist comprised of both original GnR era and post GnR era hits. I'd
like to hear Axl take a shot at Fall To Pieces, Anastacia, etc and Slash take a shot at material from Chinese Democracy.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 25, 2015 21:31

24FPS
Another sucker tour for the tourists. Saw them in '89, twice, opening for the Stones in L.A. There's no way they can ever come near the band they were. And it's not like there's a lot of fondness out there for Axl. One of the all time weirdos in rock.
i do agree about Axl being one of the biggest weirdos in rock .Of the five he is dead last in my book .To bad Velvet Revolver only lasted for two albums with Scott Weiland .really good albums the two they put out with my favorite song from those two being "Slither"

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 25, 2015 21:38

Kurt
If Duff, Steven, Izzy, Slash and Axl ever tour together again...
@#$%& yeah, I'd go.

Slash is playing great nowadays, Duff is too.
Izzy would be the important part of this one and Steven is a must.

Its gotten to the point that Axl is the weakest link of the original five.
Ego.

And as far as that "one very good album"...
Its almost underrated as far as I'm concerned.
smoking smiley

Unless they're carrying two drummers, I'd say Adler is a pipe dream. Sorum's been in Slash and Duff's orbit for years now, with VR and whatever supergroups they've been in.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 25, 2015 22:08

I'd.like to listen to slash on there was a time. It s a great song. I think that axl won t sing any VR song.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 26, 2015 05:50

They will reunite but the band is missing one thing:

Axl's voice.

He and Vince Neil lost theirs together.

I see a big world tour. After all, nostalgia sells like hot cakes, doesn't it?

Date: August 26, 2015 06:02

Midnight Toker
They will reunite but the band is missing one thing:

Axl's voice.

He and Vince Neil lost theirs together.

I see a big world tour. After all, nostalgia sells like hot cakes, doesn't it?

Add David Lee Roth to that list. But it can be easily solved by hring the proper 2-4 back up singers to reinforce the singing when needed. It is OK to accept the facts and do the right thing while still being the front man talking and telling jokes.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 26, 2015 11:51

Stones50

UYI 1 and 2 are in my top 5 list of Best ever Albums Ever.

Mathijs

Date: August 26, 2015 11:54

And Lies is pretty good as well, imo.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 26, 2015 12:26

Mathijs
Stones50

UYI 1 and 2 are in my top 5 list of Best ever Albums Ever.

Mathijs

I'm curious about the rest of the albums on your top 5 list.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 26, 2015 19:07

oldschool
They have more than enough material to put on a 2hour show as the UYI albums are both double albums so they have over three hours of original material.

There's the biggest problem of that GNR era - those albums SUCKED. They sucked so bad they passed out from sucking.

Had they edited the shit out of those two double albums they could've had a somewhat decent single album of possibly up to 10-12 tracks.

So if you're suggesting that they have plenty of tracks for a decent set list, the only part about it is the number of songs they could play and seeing that most of the USE YOUR ILLUSION tracks suck, the set list would be a rip off to fans if it consisted mostly of UYI sucking songs.

Posted by: sodapop ()
Date: August 26, 2015 21:34

oldschool
sodapop

Believe it or not Slash, Duff and Izzy are probably in better shape now than they were back during the UYI tours as they are clean and sober now. I have seen Slash and his current solo band half a dozen times recently an they put on a killer show. Slash is sober and playing better then ever.

And while Axl's vocals have been subpar at times he has not cancelled shows recently and he was touring a fair amount in the last 3-4 years.

I agree with you - I was thinking more of their state in 1992. Izzy, Slash and Duff look and sound great these days. The first 2 records Izzy put out post G-n-R just kill and I listen to them often.....still.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 26, 2015 22:14

GasLightStreet

There's the biggest problem of that GNR era - those albums SUCKED. They sucked so bad they passed out from sucking.

Really?
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Check the list : the only CDs I would still listen to today are the UYI volumes.
"You Could Be Mine" "Locomotive" Dust'n Bones" "Estranged" "The Garden" "Double Talkin' Jive" are the jewels of that crown.
They (Axl?) made one mistake : wanting to include pre-AFD material that should have been ditched (like "Back Off Bitch" ).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-26 22:18 by dcba.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home