Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 142
Re: Anyone Else Stopped Going to Stones Concerts?
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 15, 2016 15:17

I have. The concerts and associated travel costs are expensive, I grew tired of the warhorses long ago, I don't think they are much of a live band anymore, and can easily watch footage of the concerts almost immediately, at no expense, from the comfort of my living room.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 15, 2016 15:27

I've seen the Stones in 78, 81, 89, 02, 05, & 06 and I would love to see them again before they hang it up for good but I do have mixed feelings. Being a person who is not well off, it's just so expensive...but if I had it, I'd do it....But also, I know I wouldn't really be seeing the band that truly thrills me...In my opinion they were done after 81-82. I loved the concerts I saw since then, but the Stones I really love were the band that was not afraid of taking chances on stage. From 89 on it was too controlled for my tastes. Still damn good but nothing like the spirit and drive you see on something like Some Girls Live in Texas.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 15, 2016 15:27

I still feel the excitment when a tour is anounced and making plans to attempt the show usually with a couple of stones fans friends is still a thrill to me. There is the show and everything else that comes with it. The joy and the rock and roll rush can still be felt by some of us; call us crazy or stupid but as long as those feelings exist I will not stop going to a Rolling Stones show.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 15, 2016 15:34

I'm with you Harlem Shuffler, the set lists have improved greatly but i do get sick of the 'war horses' , all great songs, but i don't need to hear the same songs every time ... my main reason not to go is the music, it is too 'horny'... i much prefer guitars, mainly being able to hear Keith and Ronnie slice it up, but that is too glossed over now -- oh, and how great is it to hear Keith on backing vocals when you listen to something from '75 or '78? ... we don't get that any more either.

My last show 'was' going to be '99, I did go to one around 2003 or so but that was due to a coworker that never saw them and wanted to experience it, so I went one last time. Never again, the dvds work well for me.

I still see bands very often, go to much smaller shows now ... I'll be seeing Operators next Friday, a new band but I know of the main dude from bands like Handsome Furs and Divine Fits, he is great!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 15, 2016 15:39

"Just wondering whether there's anyone else here who no longer goes to Stones concerts"

Don't count me. I love their music, I love their performances, so the thrill is still here to me, as it was 20 and 30 years ago.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 15, 2016 15:47

I made the same decision at the Bigger Bang tour. Actually I made the decision never
to go to concerts with more than 10-12.000 visitors. So after the Licks tour I didn't
think I would ever see them live again.

But in 2014 I changed my mind and took my daughter on a trip to Paris for the show in
Stade de France. Mainly to show her (she was 15 at the time) what it was all about.
Once in the stadium I found out how stupid I was with this idee fixe that a stadium show
was to be avoided. I was rocked to the core that night!

So, everybody must do what he/she thinks is right, but if you decide not to go to the show,
you might not do yourself a favor.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:08

I would fly to the other side of the world just to watch them play midnight rambler,I get an electric charge coming up through my body every time I go and see them play.

You can't beat it.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: April 15, 2016 16:11

I still go but am very tired of many of their songs....I cannot stand Miss You live any more...and SFTD has run its course for me also. Rambler great but skip it.

I usually do at least 2 and sometimes 3 shows each tour. Next time around I will only do 1 if nothing changes.

It is really sad with the amount of material they have they don't change it up.

Like I said before do more songs that don't last so long..can SFTD, Miss You, YCAGWYW.....etc...replace each one with two songs.

Play Ruby Tuesday, Rip This Joint, Rocks Off ....etc.

It is hard not to go when they come around. Last tour three shows Dallas was almost perfect to me. Nashville was special for the country set and Kansas City Street Fightin Man was the Stones at their best.

They are still great live.

Its is time to mix it up for real fans. Look around Mick and the Boys musicians are dropping like flies.

Come on guys do a mini tour for the true fans. Before its too late!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:12

I've stopped seeing lots of people I love; the Stones, the Who, Paul McCartney. Or rather, I've passed up chances to see them recently because I just wasn't feelin' it. Doesn't necessarily mean that I wouldn't see them again under the right circumstances, but it does probably mean that I don't really care if I ever see them again. I'd rather see people I haven't seen before, or people I haven't seen in a very long time. That's what made seeing David Gilmour so much fun last week. I hadn't seen him for 22 years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-15 17:16 by tatters.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:19

Hi,
I've seen them for the first time in Antwerp 1973, afterwards on every tour in europe, but at this moment it likes for me as an living Juke-Box.
I heard:Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk, JJF, aso.in '73 and always it comes again.
Nevertheless I only go to Rolling Stones concerts in Europe, and I live 10km from Werchter.
Stopping to go to see? As long as they do Europe: No,They have stolen my hart with their music!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-15 16:29 by tioms.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:22

I've seen them twice and I feel like that's enough. If they do tour N. America again, I might take my daughter to see them though.

Date: April 15, 2016 16:22

<Stopped Going to Stones Concerts>

No.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:24

Never!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:26

Go, go, go !!!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:26

How can i stop??? It is an addiction.
Jeroen

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:33

I've seen the Stones a couple of times, and it always was great. But now I rather go see smaller (local) bands. Saves me a lot of money, and I hear new music.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:44

My last stones concert was 06 in Ottawa. Have seen them a dozen times or so. I would probably go one more time but I no longer have that "can't miss it" feeling I used to. The last time they came to Toronto I didn't feel guilty not going. I'm almost 50 now and I don't go to many concerts anymore. I long ago lost interest in going to stadiums and even arenas for that matter. I like small venues like Massey Hall and the Sony Centre here in Toronto. I have seen Dylan and Buddy Guy fairly recently at these venues and really enjoyed the shows. Still love the Stones and they continue to amaze me but unsure whether I will see them again live.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 15, 2016 17:20

Harlem Shuffler
Hello mateys,

Just wondering whether there's anyone else here who no longer goes to Stones concerts.

Personally I'm tired of almost identical set lists and rip-off ticket prices. My last concert was at the O2 for A Bigger Bang where we treated to one song from that album. I must say I wouldn't want to hear too many songs from A Bigger Bang but there are a few worth playing.

Small venues aside, I can't see myself bothering to see them again.

why would you care about the identical set list if you're only going to one show.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 15, 2016 17:24

It's really not about the money.
I've seen them 20+ times since 1967 on.
A few years ago I wa offered a free ticket by a friend who couldn't
make it that day.
The concert took place just a 30 minutes ride away from where I live,but
I said "no, to me they became just boring".
Never would go to see the Stones again. It's over.
Today it has nothing, really nothing to do with the shows I attended back then
when they were in their prime.

Date: April 15, 2016 17:28

I'll never stop, never stop

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 15, 2016 17:32

Heck no, I'm just getting started.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: April 15, 2016 17:44

I have started to balk over the price of the shows over the past years but still I always find myself going. Call it an addiction.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: April 15, 2016 18:07

I grew up going to Grateful Dead shows. How many times (to this day) have I thought to myself "what I wouldn't give to be at one more Dead show... To see Garcia on stage one more time"

Along those same lines, that is why I will keep going to see the Stones. As impossible as it seems, there will be a day when we don't have Keith Richards in our world. I'll rest better knowing I saw Keef every reasonable chance I got.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 15, 2016 18:28

Saw them first in 1963. Last time at Roundhay, Leeds 1982.
Have seen Bill's band a few times...very enjoyable.
Would try and see Charlie's jazz group if he ever does some more gigs.

Would love to see a Keith solo concert but that prospect seems dead to the water.
Can't really explain why, but I wouldn't be interested in seeing either Jagger or Wood solo.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 15, 2016 18:32

19 October 1963, Bradford Gaumont actually.
Wish I'd kept a souvenir.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: April 15, 2016 18:38

Seen them twice. Wembley and Edinburgh and sadly due to ill health its extremely unlikely i will see them or anyone again. For me sites like this and Youtube are a god send! If i could i'd still be going to see the greatest band ever.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 15, 2016 18:42

Not in the same league with most of you -- I only saw them once, on the Steel Wheels tour in Raleigh, N.C. in Sept. 89. I had to look it up to refresh my memory -- boy, they played a lot of dates on that tour. They were in St. Louis the very next night and played six shows in nine days in that stretch. I wonder how much sleep Keith was getting!
I had the feeling at the time of 'See them now before it's too late.' Little did I know they were about the halfway point of their careers!
It was a stadium show, we were way up in the bleachers. The stage was pretty cool, but far away. 2000 Years Was a highlight. It was cool seeing them, but as much as I like them, I had the feeling that I had checked this off my bucket list and was content to let them pass whenever they came around again. I had kids and bills and would rather go see acts in smaller venues when I did go out to see a band.
-fixed date-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-15 18:49 by wonderboy.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: April 15, 2016 18:46

wonderboy
Not in the same league with most of you -- I only saw them once, on the Steel Wheels tour in Raleigh, N.C. in Sept. 91. I had to look it up to refresh my memory -- boy, they played a lot of dates on that tour. They were in St. Louis the very next night and played six shows in nine days in that stretch. I wonder how much sleep Keith was getting!
I had the feeling at the time of 'See them now before it's too late.' Little did I know they were about the halfway point of their careers!
It was a stadium show, we were way up in the bleachers. The stage was pretty cool, but far away. 2000 Years Was a highlight. It was cool seeing them, but as much as I like them, I had the feeling that I had checked this off my bucket list and was content to let them pass whenever they came around again. I had kids and bills and would rather go see acts in smaller venues when I did go out to see a band.
Raleigh would be september 89 not 91 as they didn't tour 91.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 15, 2016 18:55

I grew up going to Grateful Dead shows. How many times (to this day) have I thought to myself "what I wouldn't give to be at one more Dead show... To see Garcia on stage one more time" <<<<<

I saw the GD about 160 times and Jerry solo around 40 times in my 20s.

Honestly, I'd throw back half of those shows for the Eurrail trip, visit to Australia and New Zealand, or the backpacking trip through the Himalayas I never made.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 15, 2016 19:18

latebloomer
Heck no, I'm just getting started.

What she said. I started late and I'm planning to do as much catching up as I can. I don't know how I would feel if I had dozens of shows from the classic years under my belt, but I haven't, so I'm not weary and jaded yet, thank goodness.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home