Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 142
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 18, 2015 17:54

It would be amazing if they would play the set list of their first gig in July 62 once again.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 18, 2015 18:00

I agree. We have been talking about the same things for the past 13 years. Why stop now?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 18, 2015 18:50

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Since everything gets merged into one big thread this theme is meaningless by now. All arguments are worn out since long ago....

It's setlist discussions. Why meaningless?

Meaningless in the sense that every argument has been heard. There is nothing more to add. It will only be constant repetition. I guess set list discussions is the number one IORR warhorse...

Date: August 18, 2015 18:56

OT: My spellchecker goes all red on every single word. Can you change the settings so that you can obtain a fully functional English spellchecker? I don't know which language mine is set on. Probably Swedish...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 18, 2015 18:56

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Since everything gets merged into one big thread this theme is meaningless by now. All arguments are worn out since long ago....

It's setlist discussions. Why meaningless?

Meaningless in the sense that every argument has been heard. There is nothing more to add. It will only be constant repetition. I guess set list discussions is the number one IORR warhorse...

I think there are a few contenders for that one, stoneage...but, as we all know, you can never go wrong with a warhorse. smiling smiley

Date: August 18, 2015 20:02

Once and for all: It's setlist, not set list (I often make that mistake myself). These things are tricky for Europeans, I guess. When to write words separately or not in the English language.
Warhorse is another one you often see spelled as war horse....

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 19, 2015 14:48

Stoneage
Once and for all: It's setlist, not set list (I often make that mistake myself). These things are tricky for Europeans, I guess. When to write words separately or not in the English language.
Warhorse is another one you often see spelled as war horse....

Point taken; and I aplaude your effort. But I sincerely hope (because we need more men like you!! winking smiley ) you will get on your high horse as well, everytime one of your fellow 'native' English speakers deliberately or undeliberately uses confusing/ conflicting words in their writing, for the sake of 'hipness' or like-/ otherwise; creating incomprehensible gibberish that us, underexperienced but well-meaning (we all more or less did do our best in English class at school, a.o. so we'd be able to make something out of the Jagger's lines...) non-English speaking 'Europeans' and other world wide companions here can hardly make anything out of.

I mean: you guys/girls were raised ànd educated in that language, right?! - then show us some respect by at least making an effort.

There is - and: should remain - a thick, clear line between "there", "their" and "they're", f.i.
And "I have" (or "I've" ) is definitely NOT the same as "I of" (which is complete gobbledygook, as fas as I can tell)...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:04

RoughJusticeOnYa
gobbledygook

I love that word.
It´s funny to read and funny to speak.

Date: August 19, 2015 15:09

HMS
RoughJusticeOnYa
gobbledygook

I love that word.
It´s funny to read and funny to speak.

...had to look it up for the sake of correct spelling - winking smiley

Date: August 19, 2015 17:21

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough in my example. Sorry for my trespasses in the English language. I'm not a native speaker myself. I abuse the word of English on a daily basis on this forum.
I'm aware of that. My examples were meant as a critisism towards myself - to clearify things in order to better myself and my Pidgin English. I'm sorry if I stepped on someone's toe. That was not my intention.

Date: August 19, 2015 18:01

Stoneage
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough in my example. Sorry for my trespasses in the English language. I'm not a native speaker myself. I abuse the word of English on a daily basis on this forum.
I'm aware of that. My examples were meant as a critisism towards myself - to clearify things in order to better myself and my Pidgin English. I'm sorry if I stepped on someone's toe. That was not my intention.

...No need to take it personal, Stonage - although I see now that I gave you reason to do so by using that 'high horse'-bit... I just lacked better words, I'm afraid (not a native speaker myself... But I guess you figured that much out yourself already. winking smiley )

And because you made such a good point, I assumed you WERE/ ARE a native speaker. Therefor I kinda reached out to you - because imo, a lot of native English speaking fellow-IORRians don't give a rat's *** about correct use of their own language - on an international forum! A language that happens to be to common denominator for worldwide communication... Quite disrespectful, I'd say, towards 'all of us' in the rest of the world, doing quite a lot of effort to get it right.

That was my point; nothing to do with you nor your use of the English language.

All apologies if I made you feel uncomfortable! smileys with beer

Date: August 19, 2015 18:23

Don't worry, RJOY. You didn't. No need to apologize. I just wanted to clearify myself. Cheers!

Date: August 19, 2015 18:26

Do one make oneself even clearer by «clearifying» something, than by «clarifying»?

Just kidding, Stoneage. Cheer up smileys with beer

Date: August 19, 2015 18:33

You're right, Dandy. Clarify is the right word. My stupid dictionary is pulling my leg, constantly. End of today's classes...

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 19, 2015 21:47

edit...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-19 21:47 by mr edward.

Date: August 21, 2015 08:04

I do miss Skippy though. He always gave sound advice on the use of the English language. For a while I thought of him as the IORR designated linguist...

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: January 22, 2016 15:30

Any hopes regarding set lists for the upcoming tour?

Olly.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: January 22, 2016 16:03

They do sell this stuff online, for anyone who needs it.

Date: January 22, 2016 16:04

not to be 8 months late to the party or anythinggrinning smiley

Re: SET LIST FIX
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 22, 2016 17:06

Midnight Rambler is the highlight of the show. The longer the better! Same w. Satisfaction in my book!

Re: SET LIST FIX
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 22, 2016 17:11

Oh No, not again.
jeroen

Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: January 22, 2016 18:37

I wish they were more comfortable with their whole catalog. They have 50 plus years of work to pull from. Work that has made them the best at what they do. And what a catalog of songs there are, as we all know.

Stripped was a fantastic album in my opinion. The maturity they brought to the older songs was amazing to me. Spider and the Fly is just one example. They are in a great time in their lives to bring so much more into each song.

19th Nervous Breakdown in 2006 at MSG was fantastic. It wasn’t EXACTLY the recording, and for me that is what made it so great.
Listen to Heart of Stone form the Tower in 2003, listen to As Tears Go By form the Radio City Music Hall Show. The guitar work was fantastic, and the vocals were spot on. Look what they did with Sway the past couple of tours. All fantastic renderings of great songs.

Radio and especially “Classic Rock” stations do nothing for people but give them the same 10 or 20 songs associated with any band. This is why Mick thinks “these are the songs people want to hear”, when they could broaden peoples understanding of the whole catalog, and have fun doing it.
50 plus yeas of great music, not just the hits.
That should be celebrated. And maybe it would even increase sales because people would be curious and want to discover the songs even more.
All Just MY opinion of course.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 22, 2016 19:05

I hope Keith plays Malaguena in his set.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 22, 2016 19:11

Will Doom and Gloom still be the token 'new' song in the setlist?

eye rolling smiley

Date: January 22, 2016 19:12

Gomper

Date: January 22, 2016 19:43

Stoneage
I do miss Skippy though. He always gave sound advice on the use of the English language. For a while I thought of him as the IORR designated linguist...

He's here, in the gaslight Street...

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: January 22, 2016 19:51

I wonder why Bruce Springsteen can play 27-30 songs per night and the Stones can only muster up 19. I dont need Mick to run around. I'm there for the music. Any thoughts on this? I would love a 23-25 set list.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 22, 2016 20:02

the stones have plenty time in the performance to do more than 19 songs.

just shorten the longer usually warhorse and add in shorter songs, and rotate the set a bit more.

not as if the stones have only 15 -20 good songs, they have over 200 good songs probably more.

would be good to see some oldies in the mid section of a gig.

tell me
little red rooster
the last time
ruby tuesday
around and around
come on

stuff like that isnt unknown to the majority of stones fans but like a lot of 60,s songs are usually ignored and have been since 1969.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: January 22, 2016 22:20

Hairball
Will Doom and Gloom still be the token 'new' song in the setlist?

eye rolling smiley

I would be surprised if they ever play that song again.

Having said that, when they dropped it during the Zip Code Tour, they were playing for a market that had already had the opportunity to hear 'Doom and Gloom'.

Since this is the first time they have toured South America since 2012, it may be reinstated, although I hope it isn't.

Olly.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 22, 2016 22:40

I hope they will include Doom And Gloom. South American audiences will love it. It´s a great, great song and it would be a pity not to play it live again. Almost a classic of the same calibre as HTW, SMU, IORR or PIB, indeed one of their best songs since 1986. I hope there will be lots of Doom-And-Gloom-style-songs on the new album. This is the Stones of the 21st century, modern and immediately recognizable at the same time.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home