Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 142
Re: Anyone Else Stopped Going to Stones Concerts?
Posted by: jambay ()
Date: April 15, 2016 19:28

I CANT FREEEKIN WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT TIME I SEE THE STONES LIVE IN CONCERT!!!

STONES!!

Date: April 15, 2016 19:31

.... and I would see them by any means possible...
in person, on a scope, on a building...
I would see them in a boat!
I would see them with a goat...
I will see them in the rain.
in the dark and on a train.
in a car and in a tree.
They are so goodm so goodm you see!

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: April 15, 2016 19:33

No, the exact opposite. As I was driving home 4 hours from Indy after the 4th of July last year I realized that I am in until they stop touring. I won't miss another Chicago or mid west show until they decide to hang it up. With the passing of Bowie, Glen, etc. I'm definitely in.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: April 15, 2016 19:54

I skipped South America since I saw essentially the same show a dozen times since 2012. Hate to gripe as I loved each show. But I only remember the one offs like Champagne and Reefer at Milwaukee. Not enough of these gems anymore for me. Though I look forward to seeing them again, I won't be following them across a continent.

Posted by: max56 ()
Date: April 15, 2016 20:00

First was antwerp 73 and last was Waldbuhne berlin 2014
I saw the stones 92 times
Highlights where
atlantic city 89
Tampa and Miami 94
Paradiso 95 both shows second was the best
Philly 99 both shows ( special for Moonlight mile and You got the silver I go to the states )
Shepherds Bush Empire 99
all the clubshows 2002 and 2003 US and Europe Special Roseland Ballroom
New York City for She Smiled Sweetly but Circus krone and vredenburg where also very good
Toronto club show 2005
Fonda Theatre LA 2015
Tour 76 and 82 I don't like
But with todays setlist the trill is over
I see this year Neil Young and David Gilmour

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 15, 2016 20:04

We are getting used to this. When it is over it will be over and all we will have will be cover bands, bootlegs, and videos.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: April 15, 2016 20:07

I went thru that phase. Unfortunately it was the Mick Taylor run of shows. I understand $500+ tickets, no jamming on songs. I came back. I try to remember that Hampton 81 if one of my fav shows and it was a predictable set list.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2016 20:15

I stopped going to multiple shows. I saw them once during Zip tour, and once was enough.
When they come back to my neighborhood in Southern California this year I will see them once more.
I might also make a roadtrip with my wife to Vegas if they play there, but will probably be more eager to see a Cirque de Soleil show we haven't seen yet.

Date: April 15, 2016 20:53

TumblinDice76
No, the exact opposite. As I was driving home 4 hours from Indy after the 4th of July last year I realized that I am in until they stop touring. I won't miss another Chicago or mid west show until they decide to hang it up. With the passing of Bowie, Glen, etc. I'm definitely in.

Fastest 4 hour drive ever?
I mean, it went by quickly, not that you were speedinggrinning smiley

That Stones show after-glow is about as great as anything I have ever felt. There is magic in that live Stones music and upon the many times we have gotten in the car and driven home for hours after a Stones show those first 4-8 hours goes by like warp speed..... it is easy... it still feels so good from the show.

It just feels so right, we were smart to have gone, it was FUN!!! We had a BLAST!!! etc etc...

I have never felt any of this BS nonsense blah blah same songs yadda yadda... In my Stones show career I have seen tons of different songs and tons of the same songs, but a live Stones show is a good as live music gets. It sets the bar.

Of it is understandable that as some old people get older and crotchety-er that they don't like having fun anymore (heck, they probably never liked having fun) and would rather sit at home, drink tea, watch TV and fall asleep early.

As for me, I will sleep when I am dead... until then... pedal to the metal, balls to the walls!!! Hell bent for leather

Date: April 15, 2016 21:01

Jambay-You nailed it! The post concert after glow makes time fly by. I'm 39 years old and my 65 year old mother has never saw the Stones. She wasn't aloud to go to the '69 concert in Champaign, IL then marriage and three kids happened so she lives vicariously through my Stones concerts. I got her a bootleg of the show off of here the next morning and burned her a copy. I think she had a "post concert after glow" just from the Bootleg! Met a guy at Indy who's wife wanted to get him a Gold ticket but he opted for Bronze so he could bring his kids. That is what it is all about!

Date: April 15, 2016 21:15

TumblinDice76
Jambay-You nailed it! The post concert after glow makes time fly by. I'm 39 years old and my 65 year old mother has never saw the Stones. She wasn't aloud to go to the '69 concert in Champaign, IL then marriage and three kids happened so she lives vicariously through my Stones concerts. I got her a bootleg of the show off of here the next morning and burned her a copy. I think she had a "post concert after glow" just from the Bootleg! Met a guy at Indy who's wife wanted to get him a Gold ticket but he opted for Bronze so he could bring his kids. That is what it is all about!
One time back in the day I gave my Dad and StepMom Stones tickets for Christmas (and it is a funny longer story, but I will save you from that) but the bottom line is, after him seeing/saying for so long that I am a nut for being such a Stones concert goer forever, I wanted him to go see when they came to town.

I did not sit with them (I actually intentionally bought them cheaper balcony seats just so he would give me shit for what the price said on the good tickets) anyway...

Anyway... after the show, a week or so later, I finally caught up with him for dinner and sure enough he said that he had felt "it", the magic, and that he if all Stones shows were like that then could understand a little better why I had been doing this for long, over and over and traveling far and wide... but also that he still thought I am a Stones nut.

And then he did something that still gives me goosebumps...
I asked him if he recognized any of the songs they played... and he said, as he did a lil body shimmy twist, and singing a bit, he said/sang Get your kicks on route 66

smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-15 21:16 by jambay.

Date: April 15, 2016 21:18

jambay-Love it!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: April 15, 2016 21:31

I am afraid it is a sad fact,that you can only really see the Stones live if you are prepared to spend a lot of money.And yes it's incredibly frustrating that they play almost the same set list over and over.One hopes that they might play some new stuf from their new forthcoming album in the North American tour in October.At a price of course.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 15, 2016 23:43

Seems to me that if you're tired of the so-called "warhorses," you're just tired of the Stones, period, and should probably be following another band. The repetitive setlists might make a difference to those who attend multiple shows on the same tour, but (as the discussion of expensive ticket prices underlines), that applies to a tiny minority of people. Most of us are dying to hear the classic songs.

Posted by: FeelinRealWell ()
Date: April 16, 2016 01:04

Seen them roughly a dozen times , mostly here in the NYC/NJ area. Did take a couple of road trips to Boston and Pittsburgh in '13 & '15... As long as they're playing I'm going. To me it's much more than the 2 - 3 hours you're in your seats. It's the anticipation that kicks in the days before. Waking up that morning and knowing tonight you're gonna see Mick n Keef. Choosing which T-shirt you're gonna put on. Finding the right bar(s) to get your buzz on before you head to the arena... The entire place happy, dancing to Stones songs and meeting new people. Asking those you meet how many times they've been
I can't wait for a new US tour to be announced. I will head to the NY show and road trip to at least another. The Stones are a blessing in my life. Who cares what they play.

Date: April 16, 2016 01:44

FeelinRealWell
Seen them roughly a dozen times , mostly here in the NYC/NJ area. Did take a couple of road trips to Boston and Pittsburgh in '13 & '15... As long as they're playing I'm going. To me it's much more than the 2 - 3 hours you're in your seats. It's the anticipation that kicks in the days before. Waking up that morning and knowing tonight you're gonna see Mick n Keef. Choosing which T-shirt you're gonna put on. Finding the right bar(s) to get your buzz on before you head to the arena... The entire place happy, dancing to Stones songs and meeting new people. Asking those you meet how many times they've been
I can't wait for a new US tour to be announced. I will head to the NY show and road trip to at least another. The Stones are a blessing in my life. Who cares what they play.
Right on thumbs up smileys with beer

It is a way of life. An attitude.

It is a happiness knowing that 30-40 years ago I picked the right band.
I am delighted how they have never let me down by being dumb asses or doing/saying stupid crap like most every other damn band (and most people in general) I have ever known.

The Stones and I.
One the best relationships I have ever had.
I pay them money and they kick ass in many many many many ways.

Best damn use of money I have ever known.

And in my part of the world not many people or radio stations or local message boards share my enthusiasm for the Rolling Stones. I remember being giddy when they announced the Zipper dates and we were on it, and of course I knew early so I went on the local board to spread the good news and was met with... with ... a bunch of ignorant replies... so I just LOL'd and reminded myself that I knew that already so what did I expect?" ....And that is fine. I know what is what and that is all that matters.

Fkg Stones man.... STONES!!!

KICK IT!!!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 16, 2016 02:14

Aquamarine
Seems to me that if you're tired of the so-called "warhorses," you're just tired of the Stones, period, and should probably be following another band. The repetitive setlists might make a difference to those who attend multiple shows on the same tour, but (as the discussion of expensive ticket prices underlines), that applies to a tiny minority of people. Most of us are dying to hear the classic songs.

Actually not so much tired of them but I don't like the way they play them now. Satisfaction, IORR and SFTD are just awful these days.

The 2013 shows had their moments but the Mick Taylor thing was endlessly frustrating. After that I was pretty happy to check out. Had a San Diego ticket but just couldn't get into it so I let it go. Also I go to hundreds of concerts every year and Stones concerts aren't necessarily the best ones I have seen the past few years.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 16, 2016 02:57

It's always a really fun night out, so why not go, but it's more entertainment than art at this stage. I wish they more interest in themselves as something more than crowd pleasers.

Date: April 16, 2016 03:35

as Hans says... I love the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-16 05:56 by jambay.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: April 16, 2016 07:35

I've seen about 30 U.S. shows since '69. But I'm through with stadiums. The last stadium show I saw was on the Licks tour. I passed on the Cow Town tour last summer. Indoor arenas or smaller and I'm there despite the predictable setlists.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 16, 2016 09:10

2120Joe
I skipped South America since I saw essentially the same show a dozen times since 2012. Hate to gripe as I loved each show. But I only remember the one offs like Champagne and Reefer at Milwaukee. Not enough of these gems anymore for me. Though I look forward to seeing them again, I won't be following them across a continent.

I fall into that category as well, in my case it is 14 shows since 2012. Loved every show, and more recently - actually had a ticket to go and see them in Montevideo, but unfortunately could not attend. However, although I was following the South American shows on IORR, no sooner than the Ole tour kicked off, I realised how little I was actually bothered that I was going to miss the tour and not even attend the one show I had a ticket for. It would have been 'yet another' show, the likes of which I'd seen 14 times already. What I was more regretful of was not being there with my friends and having fun and enjoying the inevitable buzz and excitement. But no sooner than those 'flogged to death' setlists began to emerge, I realised that quite frankly - boredom would have set in. Just DON'T need to see/hear them do certain songs live anymore, it's THAT simple !!

They need to come up with something else now to truly retain any significant level of ongoing and passionate interest here ........

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 16, 2016 12:32

Nate
I would fly to the other side of the world just to watch them play midnight rambler,I get an electric charge coming up through my body every time I go and see them play.

You can't beat it.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

+1

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 16, 2016 15:47

Maybe Mick could do a 30+-song-show as well but I am afraid the Stones couldnt do that.

The Stones are average musicians at best, they are not able to keep 60 songs in mind and switch them every night. The same 18-song-setlist night after night is what they are able to do. Its easier for a singer than for a guitar player, you know.

McCartneys backing musicians are 120% pros, they have probably 100 songs in mind and have the playing skills. The Stones are a garage band in their seventies.

Date: April 16, 2016 19:23

HMS
Maybe Mick could do a 30+-song-show as well but I am afraid the Stones couldnt do that.

The Stones are average musicians at best, they are not able to keep 60 songs in mind and switch them every night. The same 18-song-setlist night after night is what they are able to do. Its easier for a singer than for a guitar player, you know.

McCartneys backing musicians are 120% pros, they have probably 100 songs in mind and have the playing skills. The Stones are a garage band in their seventies.

I agree with most of your statements here HMS, but between 1969 and 1974 they were the best sounding garage band in the world.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 16, 2016 19:29

DancelittleSister
HMS

I agree with most your statements here HMS, but between 1969 and 1974 they were the best sounding garage band in the world.

Yep...thumbs up I would extend that greatest garage band phase to be from 1969 to 1981-82. When they regrouped in 1989 they became something much too slick for the garage vibe.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 16, 2016 20:51

'The Stones are a garage band in their seventies.'

LOVE that description. I remember reading that when Mick Taylor first played with them he couldn't believe how sloppy they were.
But that's the magic of this band. In the studio, they worked their asses off to make great records. A song like 'All Down the Line' rocks on the record, but it took them hours and probably days to get that track. It's very hard for them to just take the stage and re-create that.
Live, sometimes they don't click, and there have been some years where they've had to carry one or two struggling guitar players, but when they start clicking, it's just pure magic.
At this point I think they are giving it everything they've got, so celebrate it!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 16, 2016 23:31

HMS
The Stones are average musicians at best...

Yeah, most 'average' musicians are capable of playing most any type of music with perfection, and manage to amass over a million fans, concert sell-outs, and number 1 songs/albums over their career. Yes, Stones are 'average' at best.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 17, 2016 00:13

Well, Ian called them his "little three-chord wonders" ...

Date: April 17, 2016 01:10

Wonderboy wrote: "but when they start clicking, it's just pure magic."

And THAT, my friends is why I have loved the Stones so much since I first heard them at the age of 5 in 1965...and especially why they were my favorite live band of all time. When they clicked on stage the magic was palpable!

Date: April 17, 2016 02:11

Just had a listen to Tokyo Dome 1990 and that was a pretty long and diverse setlist. The Steel Wheels / Urban Jungle Tours set the template for the greatest hits tours to come, but at least at that time they still had enough confidence in their latest work to feature several songs from it...and they threw in songs that were rarities at the time, like Rooster and 2000LYFH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-17 02:13 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home