Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 142
Re: Stones Songs That Don't Work Live - And Those That Do!
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:44

confused smiley
treaclefingers
i'm going to say something heretical here...satisfaction doesn't work live, or at least, doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the original.

for some reason, they feel the need to channel otis redding on this, which is fine, it's a great version, but their version is superior so for the love of god play the better version!

What tickles me is that they'll go to all kinds of lengths with Keyboards & even looped percussion to arrange some songs more like the record...

...but Keith seemingly can't plug into a Fuzz box to play Satisfaction confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 18:47 by Spud.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:45

treaclefingers
i'm going to say something heretical here...satisfaction doesn't work live, or at least, doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the original.

for some reason, they feel the need to channel otis redding on this, which is fine, it's a great version, but their version is superior so for the love of god play the better version!

Someone needs to buy Keith a fuzzbox for the opening riff.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 23, 2016 19:00

Midnight Rambler is the only tune that works better live.
There are indeed some great live versions of many other tunes, but none match the studio versions imo.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 23, 2016 19:35

Hairball
Midnight Rambler is the only tune that works better live....

That is one tune that's damn near transcendent every time! Does anybody even listen to the Let It Bleed version anymore?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 23, 2016 19:42

HonkeyTonkFlash
Hairball
Midnight Rambler is the only tune that works better live....

That is one tune that's damn near transcendent every time! Does anybody even listen to the Let It Bleed version anymore?

Well for what it's worth, I also like the studio version, but yes it's always better live. thumbs up

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 23, 2016 19:49

It Won't Take Long, one of the very few 90s/00s tracks that remind me of Brown Sugar, Start Me Up etc. energy-wise didn't work live (not rehearsed?)- and was dropped after 2nd appearance,

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 23, 2016 20:15

"One Hit"... never worked live.

Date: May 23, 2016 20:50

Crazy Mama didn't work in 1997.

I think they still play PIB just as good as the original.

Out Of Control, and maybe also Flip The Switch, was always better than the original, imo.

Date: May 23, 2016 21:09

GaLightStreet - "Neighbours: live it doesn't have the ease that the studio version has, it's too... something. Forced."

I liked Neighbours on the 1981 tour. It was a glorious mess of frenzied rock and roll. When they did it again on the Licks Tour, it felt forced and weak to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 21:09 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 23, 2016 21:16

DandelionPowderman

Out Of Control, and maybe also Flip The Switch, was always better than the original, imo.

PIB worked well in 1989

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 23, 2016 21:25

mtaylor
DandelionPowderman

PIB worked well in 1989

Really? Could you point us to that?

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: May 23, 2016 23:07

Beast of Burden never great live, especially in 81-82.
Perfection on record of course.

As been said, opposite to Out of Control.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 23, 2016 23:20

One More Shot didn't work well live.

Date: May 23, 2016 23:27

Moonshine

Just goes to show how everyone's taste is different. Yes, Beast Of Burden is a masterful recording but I did like it in 1981; especially the way the guitars wove and jammed with Ernie Watts. Don't get as excited about more modern versions of it though. Out of Control - Yes, fantastic live. Love the version on No Security; the guitar / harp duel at the end is almost as menacing as Midnight Rambler!

Date: May 23, 2016 23:28

stanlove
mtaylor
DandelionPowderman

PIB worked well in 1989

I think it's quite good on Flashpoint and Tokyo Dome; later versions feel a bit weaker to me. Like I said, there's a great electric guitar part on the studio version that's missing live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 23:43 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 24, 2016 00:03

Shattered

Miss you

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 24, 2016 00:49

little t and a from Hampton in 1981 was great live and the studio version is good too.

sympathy for the devil on love you live is better than the studio version.

most stones songs though have better studio versions than live, and a lot of stuff they cant or wont play live.

Date: May 24, 2016 01:14

buttons67
little t and a from Hampton in 1981 was great live and the studio version is good too.....

Indeed...and the Winos version was great, too! But they should have left it alone in 2006. That version on Shine A Light is embarrassing.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: May 24, 2016 01:32

I dunno, this seems a thread that's wandered off into a different question. It misses the point of the Stones live when you start comparing live to studio. The Stones are, and pretty much always have been a cover band of themselves so to speak. What they do live isn't perform live versions of theri studio recordings, rather it's just the band playing their songs - very different and the reason they earn the title of World's Greatest RnR band.

That's always been the draw for me and why I love the band and their live work so much. It just feels real, feels LIVE so much more than bands trying to recreate their records. No thanks. That's not to say that all of the Stones songs work well live but considering what songs work well live vs. comparing to studio versions are two very different things. To compare any of them to the studio version just misses the point of this band live IMO. smoking smiley

Date: May 24, 2016 01:51

JN99
I dunno, this seems a thread that's wandered off into a different question. It misses the point of the Stones live when you start comparing live to studio. The Stones are, and pretty much always have been a cover band of themselves so to speak. What they do live isn't perform live versions of theri studio recordings, rather it's just the band playing their songs - very different and the reason they earn the title of World's Greatest RnR band.

That's always been the draw for me and why I love the band and their live work so much. It just feels real, feels LIVE so much more than bands trying to recreate their records. No thanks. That's not to say that all of the Stones songs work well live but considering what songs work well live vs. comparing to studio versions are two very different things. To compare any of them to the studio version just misses the point of this band live IMO. smoking smiley

What you're saying rings true to me as pertains to the Stones especially from @1969-1982. In those years the Stones live was an experience that transcended their studio work. But from 1989 on they did sort of become their own cover band, trying to recreate what they did in the studio. Nevertheless, I just started this thread because I was thinking about how certain songs especially lend themselves to the Stones live playing style while others have a certain magic in the studio that's hard to pull off live. Just for the record, I'm a huge fan of live Stones and would rather hear live versions of most of their songs, even sloppy ones! But there are some that just don't do it for me live, especially in the modern era, (1989 - present)...Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter;those had something in the studio that falls flat when done live....of course...purely my own opinion...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-24 02:01 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 24, 2016 02:20

HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
mtaylor
DandelionPowderman

PIB worked well in 1989

I think it's quite good on Flashpoint and Tokyo Dome; later versions feel a bit weaker to me. Like I said, there's a great electric guitar part on the studio version that's missing live.

I can't hear what's missing. Keith plays it like it is. He is playing a bit with the rhythm post 2012, but it still sounds good, imo.

The 89/90 versions are excellent, imo.

Date: May 24, 2016 05:28

Moonshine

Detroit '78 Beast of Burden is far superior to the studio version if you ask me. Maybe it's because of being too familiar with the studio version but there's an edge there with the Detroit '78 version not present in the more mellow studio version.

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: May 24, 2016 10:02

Interesting that Paul Weller's question for Sir Paul McCartney at the BBC Mastertapes special was related to probably something he struggles with as well. -->

"Do you ever get frustrated with not being able to play more of your new stuff because people want to hear more of the Beatles stuff?"

McCartney: "You would always like to just do the songs you want to do whether they are hits or not. But I’m a realist. If I go to a concert I want to hear the songs I love from that artist, so y’know, if it is the Stones then I am probably going to want to hear Honky Tonk Woman, Satisfaction, Ruby Tuesday. And if they didn’t do them I would feel a bit cheated.

So we give them what they want as long as they are songs we like. Occasionally we throw in songs and I’ll say ‘you are not gonna like this, but we’re gonna do it anyway’.

You can tell in the big arena. When you do ‘I give her all my love’ the cameras ‘click click click’ and all the lights come on from the iPhones. Then you say ‘here’s one off our new album’ and its a black hole! But we do it anyway but it is a bit frustrating.

You kinda hope they are going to catch on by the end of the tour.

People pay a lot of money to see me and I remember seeing Bill Haley when I was a little kid, at the Odeon in Liverpool and I paid a fortune, it was months of pocket money to see him.

And it was such a thrill because he opened with 1,2,3 o’clock 4 o’clock rock. I didn’t want to hear him play anything else. Not really. So I remember that and how much it cost me."

Date: May 24, 2016 11:00

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
mtaylor
DandelionPowderman

PIB worked well in 1989

I can't hear what's missing. Keith plays it like it is. He is playing a bit with the rhythm post 2012, but it still sounds good, imo.

The 89/90 versions are excellent, imo.

I guess it's just me, lol. I just feel like the live versions lack a certain umph! I dunno.....It's Keith's (I think Keith?) electric gtr. in the right channel; very aggressive, that's missing. Onstage he just sorts of strums it....

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: May 25, 2016 21:55

matxil
Songs that don't work live:
Start Me Up
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter (Lisa Fischer is great but the guitars just don't work for me)
Monkey Man
Street Fighting Man
Rocks Off

Songs that are better live than studio:
Midnight Rambler
You Got Me Rocking

I'm surprised by this; the performance at Twickenham in 2003 is perhaps the Stones' greatest moment as a live act.

Olly.

Date: May 25, 2016 22:02

Olly
matxil
Songs that don't work live:
Start Me Up
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter (Lisa Fischer is great but the guitars just don't work for me)
Monkey Man
Street Fighting Man
Rocks Off

Songs that are better live than studio:
Midnight Rambler
You Got Me Rocking

I'm surprised by this; the performance at Twickenham in 2003 is perhaps the Stones' greatest moment as a live act.

Yeah - love me some live Street Fighting Man!

Should The Stones Have Played Member's Solo Songs Live?
Date: May 27, 2016 12:35

Just curious what you all think. This is something that they might have explored. I always thought it might have been a nice gesture after WWIII if they had done something like Take It So Hard with Mick on vocals....or a Mick song with Keith on vocals. A token Woody song? I was just listening to the Join Together album by The Who, and they did plenty of Pete's solo songs...of course not everyone liked that tour! Of course it can be argued that doing solo songs would "dilute" the Stones-essence of a live show but there are probably some songs that would be appropriate...

Re: Should The Stones Have Played Member's Solo Songs Live?
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 27, 2016 13:02

They have plenty of great songs they've created as a band, so there's no need to add
solo songs in concert.

And I'd like to add that I don't think it would be appropriate to have the other members
playing as a kind of backing band. They are and forever should be a band of equal members.

Considering The Who: more than The Stones, they've always been the band that performed
Pete's songs, with an occasional song of the Ox thrown in. Keith Moon used to joke about
that too, introducing "another song that was written by Pete Townshend".

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 27, 2016 13:05

marcovandereijk
They have plenty of great songs they've created as a band, so there's no need to add
solo songs in concert.

And I'd like to add that I don't think it would be appropriate to have the other members
playing as a kind of backing band. They are and forever should be a band of equal members.

Considering The Who: more than The Stones, they've always been the band that performed
Pete's songs, with an occasional song of the Ox thrown in. Keith Moon used to joke about
that too, introducing "another song that was written by Pete Townshend".

Good point - The Who were always more of PT's band while The Stones were a Mick & Keith thing...Plus Roger always seemed uncomfortable when Pete would sings, as he had nothing to do but stand around with a tambourine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-27 13:16 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 27, 2016 13:42

They played Sure The One You Need in 1975, though. IMO, it was a nice addition to the setlist.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home