Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...165166167168169170171172173174175...LastNext
Current Page: 170 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: September 3, 2015 21:45

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
HMS
FP
I just read a comment on a youtube clip by someone saying that when Bill Wyman left the Stones Keith wanted to move Wood to bass and get Taylor back in. However Jagger vetoed the idea.

Any truth to this as I have never heard about it before?

What weird fantasies some people have in their headssmiling bouncing smiley

Keith is so happy to be weaving with Ronnie, why the hell he should have any desire to get MT back? Keith is lucky to have the Taylor-guy out (again)! This time once and for all. No more Taylor on any Stones-record or stage. The noodling is over.

Haha! "Weaving" is just noodling over top of one another.

Only when it's not working.

Yeah, that's been like for the last 26 years... not working... The 'weaving' really is an ancient art - took place ages ago for some years, 1978-82.... now all there is left is the memory and 'ancient art of bullshitting'...

- Doxa

It works on some songs and not so good on other songs. The old classics are static rhythm and lead, like when Taylor was in the band.

She So Cold is a song where the weaving still works nicely. Whip is another.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 3, 2015 21:46

LongBeachArena72
HMS
FP
I just read a comment on a youtube clip by someone saying that when Bill Wyman left the Stones Keith wanted to move Wood to bass and get Taylor back in. However Jagger vetoed the idea.

Keith is so happy to be weaving with Ronnie, why the hell he should have any desire to get MT back? Keith is lucky to have the Taylor-guy out (again)! This time once and for all. No more Taylor on any Stones-record or stage. The noodling is over.

Yeah! One more step along the way toward the ultimate goal: Jagger out! Then we'd have nothing BUT Keith and Ronnie "weaving" whatever the hell they wanted to.

Free Keith!

grinning smileythumbs up

- Doxa

Date: September 3, 2015 22:08

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
HMS
FP

Yeah, that's been like for the last 26 years... not working... The 'weaving' really is an ancient art - took place ages ago for some years, 1978-82.... now all there is left is the memory and 'ancient art of bullshitting'...

- Doxa

It works on some songs and not so good on other songs. The old classics are static rhythm and lead, like when Taylor was in the band.

She So Cold is a song where the weaving still works nicely. Whip is another.

"works nicely"... damn, borrow me a pair of those Keith/Ronnie fan glasses.... I think it is exactly those SOME GIRLS golden era weaving songs, which reveal so harshly how the once so dynamic guitar tandem is nowadays history... Ronnie, if in a condition to play anything or mixed down, tries his best not stepping into Keith's shoes, while Keith does whatever he is still able to do/remember...

And please no any clips of 'modern era' examples of Keith and Ronnie struggling with their mythical 'ancient art of weaving'... This is a Taylor thread.winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-03 22:12 by Doxa.

Date: September 3, 2015 22:36

You started it winking smiley

Do you really think the Stones is that bad, btw?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 3, 2015 22:58

Doxa
Ronnie, if in a condition to play anything or mixed down, tries his best not stepping into Keith's shoes, while Keith does whatever he is still able to do/remember...
- Doxa

lmfao. Probably more true than many will admit. I heard Keith/Charlie describing Ronnie as often getting in the way musically in the studio in one of the Stones documentaries and Keith often telling him to shut up, a joke probably based on some truth. lol. But as you say it's probably best to keep Ronnie out of the Taylor thread for obvious reasons.

Date: September 4, 2015 00:03

Naturalust
Doxa
Ronnie, if in a condition to play anything or mixed down, tries his best not stepping into Keith's shoes, while Keith does whatever he is still able to do/remember...
- Doxa

lmfao. Probably more true than many will admit. I heard Keith/Charlie describing Ronnie as often getting in the way musically in the studio in one of the Stones documentaries and Keith often telling him to shut up, a joke probably based on some truth. lol. But as you say it's probably best to keep Ronnie out of the Taylor thread for obvious reasons.

You're mistaking Ronnie for Taylor here smoking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 4, 2015 00:19

Doxa

Yeah, that's been like for the last 26 years... not working... The 'weaving' really is an ancient art - took place ages ago for some years, 1978-82.... cQ

- Doxa

Take a listen to Bright Lights, Big City from 1963 IBC demo. winking smiley

Date: September 4, 2015 00:34

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Doxa
- Doxa

No, it was in the tip of the tongue documentary. It's actually Charlie saying Ronnie can get in the way with his playing. Keith I misquoted he's referring to the shut up with respect to Ronnie's constant optimism. Here at around 03:10:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 4, 2015 00:47

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Doxa
- Doxa

No, it was in the tip of the tongue documentary. It's actually Charlie saying Ronnie can get in the way with his playing. Keith I misquoted he's referring to the shut up with respect to Ronnie's constant optimism. Here at around 03:10:

[www.youtube.com]

I know. I said it because he said exactly the same about Taylor smiling smiley

Date: September 4, 2015 00:48

His Majesty
Doxa

Yeah, that's been like for the last 26 years... not working... The 'weaving' really is an ancient art - took place ages ago for some years, 1978-82.... cQ

- Doxa

Take a listen to Bright Lights, Big City from 1963 IBC demo. winking smiley

Or The Spider And The Fly smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 00:57

Brian and Keith were the original weavers. The band did not start in 1968 with Beggar's Banquet. Much of their best work was done prior to that.

Date: September 4, 2015 01:46

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Doxa
- Doxa

[www.youtube.com]

I know. I said it because he said exactly the same about Taylor smiling smiley

Yeah but at least with Keith he's always half joking. When Charlies says Ronnie can get in the way you can take it to the bank and Keith rarely criticizes his little brother Ronnie.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 4, 2015 09:18

He's also called Taylor a virtuoso and said he probably got bored. The quote of him getting in the way was second hand from a man who has passed on. Keith has never directly said that, he has too much respect for the man. Hell, he learned licks from him! All one needs to do is listen to 72-73 Rocks Off to understand how freaking well they played together.

Date: September 4, 2015 09:28

DandelionPowderman

No, I wasn't... grinning smiley

And no, I don't think so. The Stones, thankfully, is much more to me than two guitarists' supposed efforts to 'weave'.

What I just wanted to point out with my caricature way of saying was that of the whole talk of 'ancient art of weaving' has no much base in reality - if we actually listen what those two cats do on the stage since 1989. But it is an notion Ronnie and Keith loves to describe their playing, and, of course, countless fans of theirs buy it. But talk is cheap. It is basically a myth. From 1978 to 1982 it was not.

- Doxa

Date: September 4, 2015 10:08

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

No, I wasn't... grinning smiley

And no, I don't think so. The Stones, thankfully, is much more to me than two guitarists' supposed efforts to 'weave'.

What I just wanted to point out with my caricature way of saying was that of the whole talk of 'ancient art of weaving' has no much base in reality - if we actually listen what those two cats do on the stage since 1989. But it is an notion Ronnie and Keith loves to describe their playing, and, of course, countless fans of theirs buy it. But talk is cheap. It is basically a myth. From 1978 to 1982 it was not.

- Doxa

Too cathegorical again, imo smiling smiley

There are countless examples of weaving between 1989-2007. Listen to entire Shepherd's Bush-gig from 1999, for instance.

But something indeed happened for the 50 & Counting tour. More discipline, fixed roles and more rhythm guitar from Ronnie.

For today's Stones, this approach seems to work nicely, imo.

Date: September 4, 2015 10:11

TravelinMan
He's also called Taylor a virtuoso and said he probably got bored. The quote of him getting in the way was second hand from a man who has passed on. Keith has never directly said that, he has too much respect for the man. Hell, he learned licks from him! All one needs to do is listen to 72-73 Rocks Off to understand how freaking well they played together.

You think Johns made it up?

«I don't know that Mick Taylor ever really fit in... (One time Keith turned to Mick Taylor and said) @#$%& you! You play too loud. You're really good live, but you're no good in the studio. So you can play later... (Taylor) was whining and moaning: I never get to do what I want, and I don't think I'm going to be able to do this much longer. And I'm going, What? Are you crazy? You're going to quit the Stones? You're out of your @#$%& mind!»

- Andy Johns

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 4, 2015 11:24

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
HMS
FP

Yeah, that's been like for the last 26 years... not working... The 'weaving' really is an ancient art - took place ages ago for some years, 1978-82.... now all there is left is the memory and 'ancient art of posing and bullshitting'...

- Doxa

thumbs updrinking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 4, 2015 13:58

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

«I don't know that Mick Taylor ever really fit in... (One time Keith turned to Mick Taylor and said) @#$%& you! You play too loud. You're really good live, but you're no good in the studio. So you can play later... (Taylor) was whining and moaning: I never get to do what I want, and I don't think I'm going to be able to do this much longer. And I'm going, What? Are you crazy? You're going to quit the Stones? You're out of your @#$%& mind!»

- Andy Johns

Yes, absolutely made up by that weird Andy Johns. That quote is just not taylorite at all!

Date: September 4, 2015 14:23

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

- Andy Johns

Yes, absolutely made up by that weird Andy Johns. That quote is just not taylorite at all!

So now both Andy and Glyn are weird? Must be in their blood smiling smiley

Posted by: FP ()
Date: September 4, 2015 14:40

smiling smiley

Date: September 4, 2015 14:52

Redhotcarpet
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
HMS
FP

Yeah, that's been like for the last 26 years... not working... The 'weaving' really is an ancient art - took place ages ago for some years, 1978-82.... now all there is left is the memory and 'ancient art of posing and bullshitting'...

- Doxa

thumbs updrinking smiley

This is ridiculous. Even on I Got The Blues on Sticky Fingers Live you'll find nice weaving. FYI, that's the latest album the Stones released. It's fresh. Brand new.

Sometimes I wonder if people just try to piss other posters off, or if they just are that ignorant winking smiley

Date: September 4, 2015 17:37

they don't listen to the music they comment on.

Date: September 4, 2015 17:39

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

- Andy Johns

this is consistent with the picture that has been painted by multiple sources, and is supported by what appears on the released tracks (a lot of keith overdubs)

Date: September 4, 2015 17:39

Let them have a listen, then smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2015 18:32

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Doxa
- Doxa

[www.youtube.com]

That bit at 1:17, Mick talks about the tempo and then Keith comes up and says "That's nice but I mean eh er eh but it's still finding things in there" - what is he on about!?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 4, 2015 19:48

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

- Andy Johns

this is consistent with the picture that has been painted by multiple sources, and is supported by what appears on the released tracks (a lot of keith overdubs)

So both Jagger and Richards weren't surprised by Taylor's decision to leave in December 1974? If all these quotes and "multiple sources" are correct they could have expected him leaving.

Date: September 4, 2015 19:52

kleermaker
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

- Andy Johns

So both Jagger and Richards weren't surprised by Taylor's decision to leave in December 1974? If all these quotes and "multiple sources" are correct they could have expected him leaving.

not necessarily. perhaps they thought like johns did, that he would have to be out of his mind to quit, no matter how poorly he fit in in the studio.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:19

I remember reading an interview with Keith back in the mid 7-tees where he stated that he was surprised Taylor stayed for 5 years. "He lost his enthusiasm long ago".

Date: September 4, 2015 20:28

Turner68
kleermaker
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

- Andy Johns

not necessarily. perhaps they thought like johns did, that he would have to be out of his mind to quit, no matter how poorly he fit in in the studio.

A bit ironic that Johns felt that way but still claimed responsibility for leading him away with the offer to play with Jack Bruce.

Date: September 4, 2015 20:34

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Doxa
- Doxa

[www.youtube.com]

That bit at 1:17, Mick talks about the tempo and then Keith comes up and says "That's nice but I mean eh er eh but it's still finding things in there" - what is he on about!?

Hard to say really, I think he's just pointing out to Ed Cherney that there is still work to do in order to bring out parts of the mix that Keith wants to hear more prominently.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...165166167168169170171172173174175...LastNext
Current Page: 170 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2042
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home