Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...164165166167168169170171172173174...LastNext
Current Page: 169 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: August 28, 2015 15:58

kleermaker
FP
Re Goats Head Soup

I feel it becomes a stronger album if you add Tops and Waiting on a Friend to it. I don't know what state the tunes were in during the GHS sessions but if they were reasonably complete I think it is a shame they were not included.If it was a timing issue I would happily remove Coming Down Again.

Dancing with Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Waiting on a Friend
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Silver Train
Tops
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear the Music
Star Star

Tops and Waiting FAF would destroy the whole unique GHS-mood.

They could have ditched Silver Train and Star Star?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 28, 2015 17:08

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
FP
Re Goats Head Soup

I feel it becomes a stronger album if you add Tops and Waiting on a Friend to it. I don't know what state the tunes were in during the GHS sessions but if they were reasonably complete I think it is a shame they were not included.If it was a timing issue I would happily remove Coming Down Again.

Dancing with Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Waiting on a Friend
Angie
Silver Train
Tops
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear the Music
Star Star

Forget Tops but Waiting on a Friend in place of Silver Train would have been a good choice, imo.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 28, 2015 17:31

In regards to Taylor's contributions to IORR: he wasn't even at the initial tracking sessions due to surgery. I think the rest of the band had formulated how they envisioned the album by the time he arrived and he added what he could.

Short & Curlies is the oldest song and that could be Taylor on rhythm. If any of his parts were not used on IORR I would guess Luxury because he was at those sessions.

As for songwriting credit: Jagger said Taylor "threw in a few chords". Well, that is sort of downplaying someone contributing to the chord progression and harmonic structure of the composition! If a friend of mine writes the bridge, they get songwriting credit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 17:32 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 28, 2015 17:58

TravelinMan

As for songwriting credit: Jagger said Taylor "threw in a few chords". Well, that is sort of downplaying someone contributing to the chord progression and harmonic structure of the composition! If a friend of mine writes the bridge, they get songwriting credit.

Maybe they were never friends.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 28, 2015 21:45

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
FP
Re Goats Head Soup

Dancing with Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Waiting on a Friend
Angie
Silver Train
Tops
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear the Music
Star Star

Forget Tops but Waiting on a Friend in place of Silver Train would have been a good choice, imo.

I hate waiting on a friend and rather take the silvertrain.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 28, 2015 21:47

I think
Waiting on a friend is 300% better
But agree it doesn't fit the mood of the album at all and silver train does
Of course the mood of the album is 70s burnt out rock star mediocrity...

Re: Mick Taylor - wiped guitar parts list?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 28, 2015 22:06

Through The Lonely Nights should've been put on GHS and... I hate Angie but I understand its importance; Hide Your Love could've been left off.

Date: August 28, 2015 22:09

His Majesty
TravelinMan

Maybe they were never friends.

LOL. A few chords in a Stones song is generally all there is! I would think anything above 2 would qualify for writers credit.

Date: August 28, 2015 22:12

The song is the melody and the lyrics. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: August 28, 2015 22:17

His Majesty

Don't go all copyright law on us there HM. I'm sure you will agree Brian helped out the writing on a lot of Stones tunes without contributing to those two facets. winking smiley You may be right from a purely legal standpoint but when music developed in complexity beyond the sheet music days I tend to think that the copyright laws were left behind.

Date: August 28, 2015 22:23

Naturalust
His Majesty

Don't go all copyright law on us there HM. I'm sure you will agree Brian helped out the writing on a lot of Stones tunes without contributing to those two facets. winking smiley You may be right from a purely legal standpoint but when music developed in complexity beyond the sheet music days I tend to think that the copyright laws were left behind.

Just putting it out there because if Jagger said that, he might have intentionally just mentioned "a few chords" for a reason.

Date: August 28, 2015 22:31

Turner68
I think
Waiting on a friend is 300% better
But agree it doesn't fit the mood of the album at all and silver train does

Which produced an imposant melancholic and nostalgic mood that we never heard before or after on a Stones album.

Posted by: FP ()
Date: August 31, 2015 17:51

Are there any good alternate versions of Goats Head Soup tunes out there? I have heard a few IORR alternate takes that I like more than the official releases and wondered if there were any superior GHS takes or mixes?

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 31, 2015 19:38

FP
Are there any good alternate versions of Goats Head Soup tunes out there? I have heard a few IORR alternate takes that I like more than the official releases and wondered if there were any superior GHS takes or mixes?

I've got on a boot somewhere a take of Silver Train that I've always argued was better than the released version, faster with more drive and muddy vocals ala Exile.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 31, 2015 21:31

kleermaker
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
FP
Re Goats Head Soup

Dancing with Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Waiting on a Friend
Angie
Silver Train
Tops
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear the Music
Star Star

I hate waiting on a friend and rather take the silvertrain.

I would not have had "Tops" either. But also I would so much have wanted "Waiting on a Friend". Instead of "Silver Train" would be very good. Preferably sung more like the TATTOO YOU version than the more falsetto approach that I heard in one early non-released version.

And then I would also have wanted GasLightStreet's proposal about "Through the Lonely Night" instead of "Hide Your Love", especially when he ackowledges "Angie"'s importance and presence,too.

The order of the songs might have become another delicate problem, though.

If sorted out the right way. GOAT'S HEAD SOUP would have been turned into an even more remarkable album than it is, and somewhat nearer being flawless.

By the way, axed songs not to be withdrawn, but to feature on single-B sides, in my opinion.

Date: August 31, 2015 22:00

FP

There is also a nice outtake of Dancing With Mr D

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 31, 2015 22:34

kleermaker
FP

There is also a nice outtake of Dancing With Mr D

... with a better solo played by MT.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 2, 2015 21:52

Great MT

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 2, 2015 22:10

Turner68

Haha, I agree, but still love the album to death.

Date: September 3, 2015 14:05

I just read a comment on a youtube clip by someone saying that when Bill Wyman left the Stones Keith wanted to move Wood to bass and get Taylor back in. However Jagger vetoed the idea.

Any truth to this as I have never heard about it before?

Date: September 3, 2015 14:14

FP
I just read a comment on a youtube clip by someone saying that when Bill Wyman left the Stones Keith wanted to move Wood to bass and get Taylor back in. However Jagger vetoed the idea.

I read a comment on Facebook that Keith considered offering Taylor his place in the Stones, just to get him back. I wonder if that was true?

Date: September 3, 2015 17:09

DandelionPowderman
FP

I read a comment on Facebook that Keith considered offering Taylor his place in the Stones, just to get him back. I wonder if that was true?

You mean Keith said he, Richards, would leave if Taylor returned or he would have fired Wood to get Taylor back in?

Date: September 3, 2015 17:19

FP

True or not, it was a brilliant idea!

Date: September 3, 2015 17:20

FP
DandelionPowderman
FP

You mean Keith said he, Richards, would leave if Taylor returned or he would have fired Wood to get Taylor back in?

Just kidding smiling smiley

My point was: Don't believe everything you read in social media smileys with beer

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 3, 2015 17:40

FP

What weird fantasies some people have in their headssmiling bouncing smiley

Keith is so happy to be weaving with Ronnie, why the hell he should have any desire to get MT back? Keith is lucky to have the Taylor-guy out (again)! This time once and for all. No more Taylor on any Stones-record or stage. The noodling is over.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 17:46

HMS
FP

Keith is so happy to be weaving with Ronnie, why the hell he should have any desire to get MT back? Keith is lucky to have the Taylor-guy out (again)! This time once and for all. No more Taylor on any Stones-record or stage. The noodling is over.

Yeah! One more step along the way toward the ultimate goal: Jagger out! Then we'd have nothing BUT Keith and Ronnie "weaving" whatever the hell they wanted to.

Free Keith!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 3, 2015 17:47

HMS
FP

Haha! "Weaving" is just noodling over top of one another.

Date: September 3, 2015 17:52

TravelinMan
HMS
FP

Only when it's not working.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 20:30

DandelionPowderman
FP
DandelionPowderman
FP

Just kidding smiling smiley

My point was: Don't believe everything you read in social media smileys with beer

LOL. You're talking to the same crowd who thinks Mick Taylor posts on that Facebook account... :-)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 3, 2015 21:41

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
HMS
FP

Only when it's not working.

Yeah, that's been like for the last 26 years... not working... The 'weaving' really is an ancient art - took place ages ago for some years, 1978-82.... now all there is left is the memory and 'ancient art of posing and bullshitting'...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-03 21:43 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...164165166167168169170171172173174...LastNext
Current Page: 169 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2137
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home