Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 13, 2015 15:09

Stoneburst
Most of us wish he would, and he probably will at some point, but his abilities as a musician have nothing to do with how active he is. Jeff Beck's as good as they get, but has spent most of his career only touring when he needs to raise money for his hotrod projects.
And who would have guessed how hugley profitable some of those hot rods would be. I think I saw some of those going for 300-400++ thousand Dollars at auction. But along the way didnt Jeff build up a resume of albums and songs for when he finally came out and started touring like he has now.

I just wondered about taylor not doing his own thing, it seems it would make you all so happy, and based on many posts here on IORR it seems that many think he could get much better "sidemen" than the members of The Stones.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 13, 2015 15:15

He's had some great musicians in his band in the past (Snowy White, Max Middleton, Wilbur Bascomb, even Blondie Chaplin as his rhythm guitarist for several years), and he's still widely respected by lots of high profile musicians, so it's not unreasonable to think he could put a top-notch band together if he wanted to.

Date: May 13, 2015 15:24

Stoneburst
He's had some great musicians in his band in the past (Snowy White, Max Middleton, Wilbur Bascomb, even Blondie Chaplin as his rhythm guitarist for several years), and he's still widely respected by lots of high profile musicians, so it's not unreasonable to think he could put a top-notch band together if he wanted to.
Absolutely, which makes one wonder why the taylor movement doesnt put its energy towards him getting his own band and do his own thing versus constantly going on and on about wanting him to go play with the Stones.

Date: May 13, 2015 15:29

Leonioid
Stoneburst
Absolutely, which makes one wonder why the taylor movement doesnt put its energy towards him getting his own band and do his own thing versus constantly going on and on about wanting him to go play with the Stones.

Many Taylorites are not fans of his solo work. They want him back with the Stones.

Mick Taylor needs to get back with the Stones- what's on your mind right now...
Date: May 13, 2015 15:32

DandelionPowderman
Leonioid
Stoneburst

Many Taylorites are not fans of his solo work. They want him back with the Stones.

OK

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 13, 2015 15:42

Redhotcarpet
More like one of the bakers.

What he baked with other cooks (Bruce Alvin Lee) wasn't very edible.

Imo Taylor is one the many people who didn't understand the Stones gave him talent. Once he was away from Mick Keef Charlie and Bill he amounted to nothing or very little.

Imo again Ron Wood understood that you shine a lot brighter when you're around these luminaries.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: May 13, 2015 16:02

I'm just curious how history will remember him. Years from now, not in our lifetime. Just in general really, of that era, what will his place be in the pantheon of great guitarists? Hendrix, a god, for sure. Whether you agree or not, I know Clapton has been called a legend, etc. There are so many others, of course. Notwithstanding his association with the Stones, I'm afraid Taylor may be a mere footnote in history. Unfortunately, he just hasn't produced that much of his own material (we've discussed that topic, ad nauseum), thus it's kind of frustrating being a fan of his for that very reason. Regardless his talent, it's always "what could have or should have been". And it wish it could have been different for him. Just my humble opinion.smiling smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 13, 2015 16:08

DandelionPowderman
Leonioid
Stoneburst

And they believe that 88 pages with 81.000 views for this thread proves a lot of RS fans want the same thing.
The "AC/DC latest news and more" thread has 31 pages with 60.000 views...a non-RS thread has more views than an important MT thread.
Just saying.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 16:14

You're comparing a whole group with a long history...40 plus years...to a single guitarist with a 5 year history with the Stones...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 13, 2015 16:30

Leonioid
Stoneburst

Considering you are obviously not a proponent of Taylor playing with the Stones again you probably wouldn't ever understand.

The musical possibilities that some of us saw when he briefly rejoined them on the last tour were exciting enough that it sparked a lot of hope that it could go on, for the benefit of both Taylor and the Stones. It seemed a perfect fit for both Taylor AND the Stones, even after all these years. A win-win situation for all concerned and an added element of freshness to the live shows that some have who have been following this band for decades welcomed.

peace

Date: May 13, 2015 16:39

Naturalust
Leonioid
Stoneburst

Considering you are obviously not a proponent of Taylor playing with the Stones again you probably wouldn't ever understand.
I am not the only one. A lot of people with a lot more on the line than any of you do not share your opinion.

Date: May 13, 2015 17:08

Leonioid
Naturalust
Leonioid
Stoneburst

I am not the only one. A lot of people with a lot more on the line than any of you do not share your opinion.

Not sure your qualified to know what "any of us have on the line". I welcome most opinions on this board, even if they are different from my own. We are all "actual" fans of the Stones and different opinions shouldn't cause anyone to jump up and down and raise the "he's not an actual Stones fan" or "he's a cultist because he likes Mick Taylor" flag. Both those assertions are offensive because they attack and judge other posters.

I think we understand you don't like the idea of Mick Taylor playing with the Stones in 2015. You are entitled to your opinion and that's fine. But getting on the Taylor thread and judging other posters for their opinions doesn't have anything to do with Taylor or the Stones or the music. It's a form of trolling, imo, you're obviously going to get a reaction but I personally don't believe it contributes to healthy and interesting discussions.

peace

Date: May 13, 2015 17:11

Naturalust
Leonioid
Naturalust
Leonioid
Stoneburst

Not sure your qualified to know what "any of us have on the line". I welcome most opinions on this board, even if they are different from my own. We are all "actual" fans of the Stones and different opinions shouldn't cause anyone to jump up and down and raise the "he's not an actual Stones fan" or "he's a cultist because he likes Mick Taylor" flag. Both those assertions are offensive because they attack and judge other posters.

I think we understand you don't like the idea of Mick Taylor playing with the Stones in 2015. You are entitled to your opinion and that's fine. But getting on the Taylor thread and judging other posters for their opinions doesn't have anything to do with Taylor or the Stones or the music. It's a form of trolling, imo, you're obviously going to get a reaction but I personally don't believe it contributes to healthy and interesting discussions.

Not only are your words untrue, they make no sense and they certainly are not peaceful.

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:19

Some opinions are always banned anyway? You're entitled to your opinion unless you don't offend the "Keef Army"...

Date: May 13, 2015 17:24

Rock'n'Troll...

Date: May 13, 2015 17:27

Leonioid
Naturalust
Leonioid
Naturalust
Leonioid
....... makes one wonder why the taylor movement doesnt put its energy towards him getting his own band and do his own thing versus constantly going on and on about wanting him to go play with the Stones.

Not only are your words untrue, they make no sense and they certainly are not peaceful.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, not sure how I could have been more clear or truthful.

Anyway back to the subject of the thread and some excellent live work by Mick Taylor with the Rolling Stones:

peace

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:27

If I disagree with you does it mean that I am trolling? I've stopped trolling since four days or more.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:36

dcba
Redhotcarpet
More like one of the bakers.

What he baked with other cooks (Bruce Alvin Lee) wasn't very edible.

Imo Taylor is one the many people who didn't understand the Stones gave him talent. Once he was away from Mick Keef Charlie and Bill he amounted to nothing or very little.

Imo again Ron Wood understood that you shine a lot brighter when you're around these luminaries.

But then again many here agree on how much better Wood was when he was in the Faces and his own boss than as a servant of Keith.

Taylor did some great things with other great musicians, like John Mayall, Bob Dylan and some others. Also his work with singer Carla Olson is outstanding. But on stage with the Stones he was magnificent and it was a fatal decision to leave imo.

Date: May 13, 2015 17:38

Naturalust
You are certainly welcome to your opinion, not sure how I could have been more clear or truthful.

Do not pretend or imagine I am ever adressing you in any post I make unless it is specified. I avoid you and certain other posters who seem be very irritable.

As far as me posting in this tread, it is not sacred... and it certainly has nothing to do with you, it is simply posting on threads that pop up to the top on IORR.

Date: May 13, 2015 17:59

Naturalust
TonyMo
...that stuff with Preston, ugh sad smiley
I was right the first time I heard this.

As much as I love MT, I too think this stuff with Preston is difficult to listen to. Much better examples of his work from that period out there.

peace

Really? I love it and find it energizing, improvising and creative. Other examples of his work from that period are of course the well known boots from the Eur. 73 tour.

Date: May 13, 2015 18:02

Leonioid
DandelionPowderman
Don't stir it up too much, my friend. One quickly becomes an easy prey in this thread grinning smiley

Thanks for the advice, Yeah, I see them always getting uppity with anyone who doesnt toe the line, I just wonder as this thread keeps getting constantly bumped up why taylor doesnt just do his own thing.

The real subject of this thread is not the question if or why not Taylor will be touring with his own band, but if or why not he will be playing with the RS. But talking about trolls ...

Date: May 13, 2015 18:04

kleermaker
Leonioid
DandelionPowderman
Don't stir it up too much, my friend. One quickly becomes an easy prey in this thread grinning smiley

Thanks for the advice, Yeah, I see them always getting uppity with anyone who doesnt toe the line, I just wonder as this thread keeps getting constantly bumped up why taylor doesnt just do his own thing.

The real subject of this thread is not the question if or why not Taylor will be touring with his own band, but if or why not he will be playing with the RS. But talking about trolls ...
...talking about posters who seem to be very irritable and are best avoided.

and the title of the thread is...
"Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now..."
which means ANYTHING about Mick Taylor
NOT JUST "if or why not he will be playing with the RS."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-13 18:11 by Leonioid.

Date: May 13, 2015 18:45

kleermaker
Naturalust
TonyMo

As much as I love MT, I too think this stuff with Preston is difficult to listen to. Much better examples of his work from that period out there.

peace

Really? I love it and find it energizing, improvising and creative. Other examples of his work from that period are of course the well known boots from the Eur. 73 tour.

Probably more that that mix hurts my ears somewhat than anything else. Seems like both MT and Billy are competing for loudness in that session. Where is it from?

peace

Date: May 13, 2015 18:55

It's the opening act-shows for the Stones in 1973, NL.

Date: May 13, 2015 18:55

Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust
TonyMo

peace

Probably more that that mix hurts my ears somewhat than anything else. Seems like both MT and Billy are competing for loudness in that session. Where is it from?

peace

See the video on YT and the link there. It's really worth while.

Date: May 13, 2015 19:06

DandelionPowderman
It's the opening act-shows for the Stones in 1973, NL.

LP 'Billy Preston's Live European Tour' (A&M AMLH 68265). Producer: Billy
Preston. Sound engineer: Andy Johns. Recorded with the Rolling Stones Mobile
Recording Unit during the '73 European Tour (probably in Essen, West-Germany,
October 1973). Re-mixed at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, California.
A: - Day Tripper (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
- The Bus (Billy Preston/Joe Greene)
- Let It Be (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
- Let's Go Get Stoned (Nickolas Ashford/Valerie Simpson/Joshie Armstead)
- Billy's Bag (Billy Preston)
B: - Will It Go Round In Circles (Trad., arr: Billy Preston/Bruce Fisher)
- Outa Space (Billy Preston/Joe Greene)
- Higher (Sylvester Stewart)
- Get Back (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
Line-up: MT (gtr)/Billy Preston (voc, keyb)/Huby Heard (keyb)/Kenny Lupper
(keyb)/Manuel Kellough (dr)

But the video contains TWO concerts, both soundboard (see the song list on the video below):

Date: May 13, 2015 19:19

palerider22
You're comparing a whole group with a long history...40 plus years...to a single guitarist with a 5 year history with the Stones...

On a forum about the RS...
And I'm just saying it to put things in perspecive since it's not about comparing but about framing: this is in fact just a tenpersonthread mostly and they view each and every page every day and almost every hour more then once and they tell others those 88 pages of posts and their 81.000 views are proof that huge amounts of RS fans would stay away from future shows if MT isn't performing with them...

Since almost every show is and/or will be practically sold out and given the respond on other threads about the tour the vast majority of fans on iorr is just (trying to) buying tickets as they have been doing for decades.
Meanwhile five people or so from the Taylorology Church are desperately trying to tell us we will see huge empty parts in the stadiums because MT ain't there...
So who's trolling...?

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: May 13, 2015 19:41

Dreamer
palerider22

And I'm just saying it to put things in perspecive since it's not about comparing but about framing: this is in fact just a tenpersonthread mostly and they view each and every page every day and almost every hour more then once and they tell others those 88 pages of posts and their 81.000 views are proof that huge amounts of RS fans would stay away from future shows if MT isn't performing with them...

Since almost every show is and/or will be practically sold out and given the respond on other threads about the tour the vast majority of fans on iorr is just (trying to) buying tickets as they have been doing for decades.
Meanwhile five people or so from the Taylorology Church are desperately trying to tell us we will see huge empty parts in the stadiums because MT ain't there...
So who's trolling...?

Believe me, there's a lot of people like me who enjoy reading superposters like NL, DP, Doxa, Kleer, etc. etc but don't have the time or energy to go on like that day after day. All Churches have active and passive members. I'd wager that commercial considerations are pretty low on the list of things that most Taylorites care about at all. Go back and check out some tour threads at shows where Taylor played an extra song or two in 2013-14, or even times where it was joked about that he played something. You'll see a bunch of people pop up who may never post for months again. There's an interest there, but after disappointment after disappointment you can't expect a huge throng to keep beating the drum. And whether it has anything to do with Taylor or none, you're living in fantasyland if you think ticket demand now or interest is anywhere near what it was for the first 35-40 years of the band.

Date: May 13, 2015 20:01

StonesCat
Dreamer
palerider22

So who's trolling...?

Believe me, there's a lot of people like me who enjoy reading superposters like NL, DP, Doxa, Kleer, etc. etc but don't have the time or energy to go on like that day after day. All Churches have active and passive members. I'd wager that commercial considerations are pretty low on the list of things that most Taylorites care about at all. Go back and check out some tour threads at shows where Taylor played an extra song or two in 2013-14, or even times where it was joked about that he played something. You'll see a bunch of people pop up who may never post for months again. There's an interest there, but after disappointment after disappointment you can't expect a huge throng to keep beating the drum. And whether it has anything to do with Taylor or none, you're living in fantasyland if you think ticket demand now or interest is anywhere near what it was for the first 35-40 years of the band.

I believe you because I enjoy a lot of their input as well. But that's not the issue.
And yes of course there's an interest there. When he's playing with them.
And concerning tickets now or the first 35-40 years I'm not the one in fantasyland: ticket sales now will be like it has been going for the last 25 years... Not even 50 IORRians will stay home when MT isn't playing with them.
And when MT will do gigs on his own next year he will be extremely lucky when he sells out 500 people venues two times a week... That's not something I like but that's called reality.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 13, 2015 20:16

Leonioid
Stoneburst
Most of us wish he would, and he probably will at some point, but his abilities as a musician have nothing to do with how active he is. Jeff Beck's as good as they get, but has spent most of his career only touring when he needs to raise money for his hotrod projects.
And who would have guessed how hugley profitable some of those hot rods would be. I think I saw some of those going for 300-400++ thousand Dollars at auction. But along the way didnt Jeff build up a resume of albums and songs for when he finally came out and started touring like he has now.

I just wondered about taylor not doing his own thing, it seems it would make you all so happy, and based on many posts here on IORR it seems that many think he could get much better "sidemen" than the members of The Stones.
Jimmy Page, one of the best guitarists ever, how active is he?
And he doesn't money. Zep still sells lots of CDs

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home