Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091...LastNext
Current Page: 86 of 308
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 8, 2015 05:39

Naturalust
Interesting blog. Thanks for the post SweetThing. I must say though that I disagree with his statement about the magic being gone from the last tour. His limited participation really didn't give him the chance to show what he really could have done to the entire Stones set. With Ronnie and Keith in their mostly typical roles of filling up the guitar space, it would take more than one song for Mick or any guitarist to find the magical space again. As it was he did add some great stuff, the most exciting new live musical stuff I've heard from the Stones in many years.
peace

Yes, agreed regarding Taylor with the Stones on the last tour. The guy isn't really a hard core Stones fan I don't think, so he'd be one of those people comparing, as he did, now to then, and of course we know those days aren't coming back for any of them.

Also, I didn't entirely agree with several other points he made in the blog either, but as you probably guessed, the interesting part is the contention Taylor was listening to band (and not just adding notes/overplaying because he was bored...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 8, 2015 08:22

SweetThing
... but as you probably guessed, the interesting part is the contention Taylor was listening to band (and not just adding notes/overplaying because he was bored...

Yeah, I picked up on that for sure. The guy is a musician so he's obviously coming from that perspective. But what he kind of insinuates without saying is that Taylor was in a unique and somewhat enviable position to listen to the rest of the band and add (or not add) parts as necessary to make the songs better. With Keith leading the way and chugging through his main riffs and grooves, Bill and Charlie holding down the rhythm and Mick stuck singing the lyrics in the relegated and defined spaces for the verses and choruses, Taylor had the most freedom of any of them to listen for ways to fill out the tunes and make them special. If any of the other guys strayed too far from their set parts, the songs would have likely lost their wheels.

Taylor was the icing on the cake...and sweet butter frosting it was. What we get these days is more of a whipped cream variety, still sweet and looks great but some of the substance and richness is missing. But hey I'm not going to miss the birthday party because of it. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 8, 2015 08:30

Interesting blog and spot on of course.

Date: May 8, 2015 08:33

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
duke richardson

he could certainly emulate Taylor's style if the Stones played this, but likely he'd do his own thing..

I don't think so. Not by a 1000 light years from home. He tried to imitate some of Taylor's solos during especially the 1975 and I think also the 1976 tours but failed of course (who wouldn't?)

They never played LIV in 75/76?

No but Ronnie tried to copy Taylors solos on other songs. The difference is Taylor probably could do something interesting with Beast of burden today.

Date: May 8, 2015 08:49

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
duke richardson

he could certainly emulate Taylor's style if the Stones played this, but likely he'd do his own thing..

I don't think so. Not by a 1000 light years from home. He tried to imitate some of Taylor's solos during especially the 1975 and I think also the 1976 tours but failed of course (who wouldn't?)

They never played LIV in 75/76?

No but Ronnie tried to copy Taylors solos on other songs. The difference is Taylor probably could do something interesting with Beast of burden today.

On some songs he did. On many others he didn't.

I wouldn't say copy. Rather pay homage to important and recognisable parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-08 08:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 8, 2015 14:40

kleermaker
What was on his mind while he played here?

[docs.google.com]

Wow, that is a perfect version! Splendid!
Is it somewhere on YouTube too?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:14

matxil
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

I uploaded it several times to YT, but every time it was banned worldwide. Very strange when you realize that other songs from Glastonbury are on YT. At first I thought the Glastonbury show would be released in the future, but that's not the case. So there must be another reason. Perhaps band politics, because Taylor is so prominent on this performance.

Date: May 8, 2015 15:23

kleermaker
matxil
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

I uploaded it several times to YT, but every time it was banned worldwide. Very strange when you realize that other songs from Glastonbury are on YT. At first I thought the Glastonbury show would be released in the future, but that's not the case. So there must be another reason. Perhaps band politics, because Taylor is so prominent on this performance.

He is prominent on Rambler as well. It's strange...

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 8, 2015 16:06

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
matxil
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

How does it work, when youtube takes a performance down within a few minutes? Are there people screening the internet?

Date: May 8, 2015 16:15

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
matxil
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

How does it work, when youtube takes a performance down within a few minutes? Are there people screening the internet?

Lawyers, record company A & Rs, you name it. But I reckon kleerie is the one with most experience on this subject grinning smiley

Date: May 8, 2015 16:18

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
matxil
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

Lawyers, record company A & Rs, you name it. But I reckon kleerie is the one with most experience on this subject grinning smiley

Ok.Thanks. smiling smiley

Date: May 8, 2015 16:19

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
matxil
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

Dandie, his Glastonbury Rambler was nothing special. In fact one of his worst performances of that song during the C. Tour. Besides there were already so many Ramblers on YT, the official one from Newark included. But no official Knocking with Taylor.

Luxury, they recognize the music by some smart tool or something. It's done very quickly.

Date: May 8, 2015 16:36

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
matxil
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

Dandie, his Glastonbury Rambler was nothing special. In fact one of his worst performances of that song during the C. Tour. Besides there were already so many Ramblers on YT, the official one from Newark included. But no official Knocking with Taylor.

Luxury, they recognize the music by some smart tool or something. It's done very quickly.

Yes, probably some tool that recognises the song . It's a poor performance indeed.. But to take it down? Maybe they should play it in a different key so the tool doesn't recognise it.smiling smiley

Date: May 8, 2015 16:37

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
matxil
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

He was still prominent.

Date: May 8, 2015 16:58

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
matxil
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

He was still prominent.

I just looked for the Glastonbury MR with the same audio and video quality as the Glastonbury Knocking, but I couldn't find it. Actually I couldn't find any Glastonbury MR.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 8, 2015 17:56

mtaylor
Listen to great music with Billy Preston and Mick Taylor from 1973.

That Billy Preston live album is so good, I shelled out big money to buy an imported copy from Japan. It was worth it too. Why Universal isn't releasing the CD (or an iTunes download) in the U.S. is a mystery.

Date: May 8, 2015 18:01

kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

Kleermaker,

Thanks for posting this. I thought I'd never see it again once youtube kept taking down your videos of it.

They really nailed the jam this time.

-R

Date: May 8, 2015 18:01

Reagan
mtaylor
Listen to great music with Billy Preston and Mick Taylor from 1973.

That Billy Preston live album is so good, I shelled out big money to buy an imported copy from Japan. It was worth it too. Why Universal isn't releasing the CD (or an iTunes download) in the U.S. is a mystery.

thumbs up

Date: May 8, 2015 18:05

Doxa
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

Thank you, kleerie! I haven't seen this for a while, and it (Taylor's solo) is better than I actually recalled. The whole instrumental part is a real joy for my old ears. It is this kind of a jammin groove, building up the tension, heartful musicianship that really works for me really good nowadays. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful... Charlie, Bobby and Taylor are really swingin, man...

I completely agree. The jam on this song is one of a kind for the band, and it's great to hear them get it down live. Been a lot of misfires over the years with this one, but this time it's a home run.

Date: May 8, 2015 18:08

Reagan
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

Kleermaker,

Thanks for posting this. I thought I'd never see it again once youtube kept taking down your videos of it.

-R

Perhaps it's available in the Stonesvault: [www.iorr.org]

Date: May 8, 2015 18:11

Naturalust
Taylor was the icing on the cake...and sweet butter frosting it was.

Spot on.

Date: May 8, 2015 18:21

Reagan
Naturalust

Spot on.

In my eyes that opinion does Taylor short as an important and integral element of the band. It was more than "the icing of the cake". His contribution was an integral part of the cake, making the heart of the cake better too.

Date: May 8, 2015 18:31

More like one of the bakers.

Date: May 8, 2015 18:34

Redhotcarpet

Haha, indeed! Not very polite to compare Taylor to a cake either.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 8, 2015 18:36

kleermaker
Redhotcarpet

Taylor and the others literally stood in cake on the Let it Bleed cover.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 8, 2015 22:40

kleermaker
Reagan
Naturalust

Spot on.

In my eyes that opinion does Taylor short as an important and integral element of the band. It was more than "the icing of the cake". His contribution was an integral part of the cake, making the heart of the cake better too.

Well the heart of the cake has that sweet butter frosting holding the layers together, I'd say that's pretty integral. And musically, in general, he tended to paint the substance cooked up by Keith, Bill, Charlie and Mick. Embellish the rhythms and decorate with his lead work. Keith's guitar playing back then is what usually defined the shape of the tunes (cake), imo. So I think the metaphor is a good one. But I understand what you are saying, sometimes Taylor's parts were so good and supportive they were the necessary ingredient for the success of the song.

peace

Date: May 8, 2015 23:13

Nikkei
kleermaker
Redhotcarpet

Taylor and the others literally stood in cake on the Let it Bleed cover.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 8, 2015 23:20

okay, it was a bit lame

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 9, 2015 01:04

kleermaker
Reagan
kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

Kleermaker,

-R

Perhaps it's available in the Stonesvault: [www.iorr.org]
thanks!

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 9, 2015 03:57

kleermaker

[docs.google.com]

Thank you for your perseverance in getting this uploaded so we can see it again Kleerie...Its second only to my favorite at The Staples Center. Keith was quoted at some point (not in regard to CYHMK) that if you want the best of Mick Taylor, you grab the first take. An exaggeration no doubt, but he's probably onto something.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091...LastNext
Current Page: 86 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1257
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home