Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: Hanging Rock show cancelled
Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: November 7, 2014 15:34

grzegorz67
liddas
I feel bad for the stones fans in Hanging Rock.

It happened to me 2 times. London 1990, show cancelled with a couple of days notice (after I drove all the way from Milano), and Milano 1998, this time with only a few hours notice.

It also happened in 1995, but the scheduled concert in Milano was cancelled with large notice, so no problem (can't remember if they actually sold tickets).

I agree that it could have been a nice thing to do to save the show somehow. The band is not missing singers! Put together a set of 10/15 odd songs. Jagger could have played keyboards or guitar or whatever. It could have turned out into something!

I remember a concert of Robert Plant once when he could hardly sing. He explained what the problem was, excused himself and informed that he would be playing guitar for most of the show. In the end it was a great show!

C

In July 1990 they postoponed 3 shows in the UK, all at the last gasp - Cardiff on 11th and Wembley on 13th & 14th. I was already in London on 13th when I found out that the show was off - my 1st ever Stones show. None too pleased I was too! All 3 eventually took place. The 2 Wembley ones were at the end of August and they shipped the Steel Wheels stage over from the US as a special treat, even though it was the Urban Junle tour.

IIRC, the postponement was down to Keith - he cut his finger on his guitar while on stage at Hampden Park, Glasgow and it went septic! He anounced to the crowd, "I think I've bust my finger but who gives a s**t!". Concerts postponed due to Doctor's orders!

Me too. I arrived in London to see a sign in the tube station for the cancelled shows but at least these were rescheduled. I understand how raw it is for Hanging Rock.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 7, 2014 15:56

A heartwarming classic "bombastic" message from Keith ;-)

Happened to me in San Jose in January 1999, a throat infection for Mick too, confirmed in the Merc on the day before the show if memory serves, but I had no travelling to do so that was not a big setback and they came back in April and I got to see them twice, back to back! No such luck this time for those missing out unfortunately :-(

I remember a comment by bv in Bondy about Mick being prone to lose his voice over the years and I was a bit surprised because they've cancelled a small percentage of their concerts overall. The 3 day gaps have certainly helped with that kind of issue. I guess the hardest part for Mick was making the decision to cancel, now he has time to mend.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-07 15:57 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: November 7, 2014 16:09

grzegorz67
liddas

It happened to me 2 times. London 1990, show cancelled with a couple of days notice (after I drove all the way from Milano), and Milano 1998, this time with only a few hours notice.

It also happened in 1995, but the scheduled concert in Milano was cancelled with large notice, so no problem (can't remember if they actually sold tickets).

I agree that it could have been a nice thing to do to save the show somehow. The band is not missing singers! Put together a set of 10/15 odd songs. Jagger could have played keyboards or guitar or whatever. It could have turned out into something!

I remember a concert of Robert Plant once when he could hardly sing. He explained what the problem was, excused himself and informed that he would be playing guitar for most of the show. In the end it was a great show!

C

In July 1990 they postoponed 3 shows in the UK, all at the last gasp - Cardiff on 11th and Wembley on 13th & 14th. I was already in London on 13th when I found out that the show was off - my 1st ever Stones show. None too pleased I was too! All 3 eventually took place. The 2 Wembley ones were at the end of August and they shipped the Steel Wheels stage over from the US as a special treat, even though it was the Urban Junle tour.

IIRC, the postponement was down to Keith - he cut his finger on his guitar while on stage at Hampden Park, Glasgow and it went septic! He anounced to the crowd, "I think I've bust my finger but who gives a s**t!". Concerts postponed due to Doctor's orders!

July 13th 1990 was due to be my first show too. In those pre internet days, we didn't find out until we got to the station.

Date: November 7, 2014 16:19

I wonder what the Stones' prior commitments are at the end of November.

I also wonder why they box themselves into a corner to the point where they cannot reschedule a single concert.

You'd figure that they would give themselves a little window of time for such situations (especially considering their ages) .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2014 16:25

Winning Ugly VXII
I wonder what the Stones' prior commitments are at the end of November.

I also wonder why they box themselves into a corner to the point where they cannot reschedule a single concert.

You'd figure that they would give themselves a little window of time for such situations (especially considering their ages) .

Good points...they should allow themselves a bit more wiggle room.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: November 7, 2014 16:42

I feel so sorry for all the fans who had tickets, whether they are locals or flying in. Same thing happened to us at wembley in 1990 and Atlantic City in 2006.

Now what about the band's other commitments after the tour - could be read as a joint commitment... or is that wishful thinking about recording before Christmas??

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: November 7, 2014 17:13

If they gave themselves more wiggle room folks would complain that the gaps were too large between shows. Its a no win wituation for them. They are in their 70s..shit happens and I am sure they feel bad about having to cancel. I feel bad for folks who have travelled from afar for this show hopefully you will see them in Sydney.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: November 7, 2014 17:53

Sucks. happened to me. Flew from NYC to San Fran only to find the 2 shows in San Jose were cancelled

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: November 7, 2014 17:57

Also Atlantic City

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2014 17:58

PaintitBlue
If they gave themselves more wiggle room folks would complain that the gaps were too large between shows. Its a no win wituation for them. They are in their 70s..shit happens and I am sure they feel bad about having to cancel. I feel bad for folks who have travelled from afar for this show hopefully you will see them in Sydney.

True but no one said they should have more days between shows. I think if you had a week of 'dead zone' after the slated tour without booking firm commitments you could accommodate.

Of course we have no way of actually knowing what they actually do, but because they are at that age it should be considered because stuff happens and does happen more often.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 7, 2014 18:01

Making sure suitable venues in the tour area also have a week of "wiggle room" might be trickier.
I'm sorry for all the disappointed people - I'm sure the Stones really really really didn't want to let them down.

Blessings on everyone concerned ... what the hey, blessings on everyone unconcerned as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-07 19:02 by with sssoul.

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: November 7, 2014 18:24

thumbs up

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: November 7, 2014 18:34

Get well, Mick!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-07 18:48 by 3DTeafoe.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: November 7, 2014 19:43

Get rid of the throat infection soon!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 7, 2014 19:45

liddas
Wild Slivovitz
liddas

C

In 1995 tickets didn't even go on sale for the Milano concert. If they did, I would have bought them from day one. Still remember that the date the concert was allegedly scheduled for was June 27th.

Yes, I think you are right. But there was some form of announcement though. I mean: there was a fixed date, and I expected to have a concert in Milano. I ended up going to Paris instead. 10 hours drive instead of 10 minutes. How could that be worse? Well it could have rained ... (and we all know that a "few" drops of rain fell on Paris during the two hours of the concert)

C

And how could that be even worse? Well, Bon Jovi could have opened....smiling smiley
(for the record I also went to that concert as the Milan gig went off the table, so we're sharing the same experience here!).

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: November 7, 2014 19:50

We're lucky they returned to Australia at all. Quit yer bitchin' and move on.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 7, 2014 20:19

still ill
grzegorz67
liddas

C

July 13th 1990 was due to be my first show too. In those pre internet days, we didn't find out until we got to the station.

Long before the internet became widespread.The World Wide Web, a great BRITISH Invention by Sir Tim Berners Lee, arrived in 1989.

I found out the postponement when I arrived in London and parked my car. I had a proper hissy fit, swearing my head offangry smiley. I'd been a fan since I was 9 or 10 (was 23 at the time) and had waited a long time for it. Still, the show was excellent when it eventually took place, with Angie & Ruby Tuesday played back to back. I only live 80 miles west of London so getting there is not hard.

Still, for the Australians and long distance travellers and, not least, Mick himself, I hope he's well enough to do Sidney next week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Jon Lasaa ()
Date: November 7, 2014 20:52

Hi all

Sorry for all the fans ready to attend the show.

It´s disappointing. Same thing happened to me in Bilbao (1998) and Valladolid (2006).

I hope Mick recover very soon.

Posted by: snibbs1234 ()
Date: November 7, 2014 21:04

The pic from Keith is great- note the 4 dice add up to 14 ( on fire) ?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 7, 2014 21:21

Disappointing for fans and disappointing for Mick and the band too, especially because they'd made a specific point of returning to Australia to make up for the first disappointment. It's really bad luck for Hanging Rock and a real shame that there's nothing to be done about it - but there's no doubt if they could've done something about it they would have.

Same happened to me as well - Wembley, Atlantic City and valladolid, so I know exactly what that anticlimax feels like when a show's cancelled.

All best vibes to Mick for a speedy recovery in time for Sydney.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 7, 2014 21:52

DandelionPowderman
Crazyhorse
DandelionPowderman
From Keith (Facebook):

Yeah just seen this on Keiths twitter. Nice touch but I'm shocked - that looks like Daddies brown sauce and not HP!!???

Why do you think the blade is there... Poor room service-guy, LOL!

Must be a poor loser. Mr. Richards I challenge you to best of 7 in backgammon for the blade of course. And a preview of your solo album…haha

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: November 7, 2014 22:03

Do I see a grinder and a stash tin in this photo?

Posted by: vintage stone ()
Date: November 7, 2014 22:07

Breaking News with a View of the Stage:

[www.couriermail.com.au]

[www.couriermail.com.au]

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: November 7, 2014 23:35

[www.heraldsun.com.au]

Fans pissed , but what can a poor boy do

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 7, 2014 23:51

Unhappy campers :

I still wonder what commitments they may have after the NZ concerts... "Stones management said the band would not reschedule because of commitments after their New Zealand shows."

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 7, 2014 23:54

Mick will be back next week, can be Stones will compensate with another show.
They are in Aussie land and why not have another instead.....

I am sure if any of us was sick, we would cancel or reschedule things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-07 23:55 by mtaylor.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 7, 2014 23:58

grzegorz67

Long before the internet became widespread.The World Wide Web, a great BRITISH Invention by Sir Tim Berners Lee, arrived in 1989.

I found out the postponement when I arrived in London and parked my car. I had a proper hissy fit, swearing my head offangry smiley. I'd been a fan since I was 9 or 10 (was 23 at the time) and had waited a long time for it. Still, the show was excellent when it eventually took place, with Angie & Ruby Tuesday played back to back. I only live 80 miles west of London so getting there is not hard.

Still, for the Australians and long distance travellers and, not least, Mick himself, I hope he's well enough to do Sidney next week.

Eh?

WWW was not invented until 1991/2. The Internet was around, and had been around for some time, but mainly based in Universities (& military).

The Wembley show was cancelled on the morning of the event. I was rung up at work by someone close to a band member asking me to put out some information on to Usenet. Which I duly did.

I later heard from people who got as far as outside of the stadium, and were having a LOT of trouble finding out what the F*** was going on.

The late cancellation message didn't reach a lot of people in time for it to be of much use.

But, as someone else said, we could all go to the re-scheduled date and see the alternate stage.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 8, 2014 00:12

Very sad for those who will miss the concert...........hope there will be a solution...who knows

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 8, 2014 00:25

CaptainCorella

Eh?

WWW was not invented until 1991/2. The Internet was around, and had been around for some time, but mainly based in Universities (& military).

The first proposal of the Hypertext based WWW has been made in March 1989: [en.wikipedia.org] . The origins of the Internet date back in the 1960s.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: November 8, 2014 00:39

I'm very sorry to hear this as I thought their tour was going great. Good luck on the remaiander of tour boys.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home